HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Habs Lounge and Le Cabaret, Episode X: The Journey Continues

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
really sounds to me like a herniated disk, my mom has two so I've heard all the descriptions. You should get it checked out man.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
googlymoogly

I have two herniated disks in my lower back L4-L5

I really had pain in 2006 to the point I got up off the couch and a sharp pain shot down my leg and I dropped to the floor and stayed there for two hours before I crawled to my bed.

This is when I was diagnosed with the ruptured disks. Luckily with bike riding I have been pretty much pain free but as some others say cold and humidity can bring back that uneasy feeling that an attack may come on soon. I can tell if I am close to the disk pushing on the nerve when I start to feel the pain going down my right leg. Another symptom I have is numbness in my right leg all the time but I won't go the surgery route unless absolutely necessary. I work construction so I to have to do heavy lifting, my suggestion is since you're probably Canadian and have the free medical use it, right now I'm not working and I'm American without health insurance so I have to be very careful until I get back to work and get insurance again. If you damaged your back the best is stretching and doing stomach muscle building exercises to take pressure off your back. Once damaged it can't be fixed just try to do the least amount of damage possible going forward.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Last Saturday, I had plan to install my window AC and while the lifting part was OK, it was wen I put it down, I instantly felt a pain in my lower section. It's been 3 days and although I'm in constant pain, I still walk and I'm trying to move trough the pain without going overboard.
I have a concern cause I'm a chef and in my business, you don't work, you don't get payed. I'm unsure on how much work I will miss. The doc will have a look at me tomorrow and still I'm sure nothing will be concrete about what type of injury I have caused to my self.
Any advice if I'm out of commission longer then expect?
My brother slipped at work, fell and got 2 herniated discs I think. He missed a year lol. Pretty though. I think your best bet is to stretch a lot. I think that's what the doctor said anyway.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
My brother slipped at work, fell and got 2 herniated discs I think. He missed a year lol. Pretty though. I think your best bet is to stretch a lot. I think that's what the doctor said anyway.
Wow, I sure hope that its not my case.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Last Saturday, I had plan to install my window AC and while the lifting part was OK, it was wen I put it down, I instantly felt a pain in my lower section. It's been 3 days and although I'm in constant pain, I still walk and I'm trying to move trough the pain without going overboard.
I have a concern cause I'm a chef and in my business, you don't work, you don't get payed. I'm unsure on how much work I will miss. The doc will have a look at me tomorrow and still I'm sure nothing will be concrete about what type of injury I have caused to my self.
I had a ligament tear, herniated disc and sciatica a few years ago, had to miss a semester. My biggest mistake was to stop being active. It's ok at first but the sooner you get moving the better. Watch your stress levels as well (just a personal observation but people with high stress get chronic pain the most, especially the overachievers who put a lot of pressure on themselves). Chiros, PT's, massages, spas, heat/cold therapy, swimming, reverse hyper extensions... they're all great things too and I would do them even if healthy as they help for restoration and stress. If it's any encouragement, I haven't felt any pain whatsoever in 2 years and weightlift as a sport, so there's always hope. Good luck, in a sick and twisted way, it's too bad it didn't happen at work at least, CSST and whatnot.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Wow, I sure hope that its not my case.
I really hope not either. 1 year is being nice. He had problems after that. lol However, he had back problems before that, very minor ones, but I guess the combination didn't help. I assume you should see how it goes. Sometimes it goes away after a week or two. Don't put too much pressure on it, but stretch and all that. I usually feel better sleeping on my back rather than my side. They say side is position of choice but sleeping on your back is better for your back. You should try it, if you don't already.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
scottyG

I had the same problem. These your neck hurt too?
What it is, is that you moved your vertebrae and it locked in a weird position. You have to go to physio for that. Go right away because it'll just get worse

Old
07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Leo Getz

Quote:
good one but sorry no big macs where I work. It's hard work and no AC in the kitchen...very hot...
Make sure not to volunteer to install one

Old
07-12-2010, 01:49 PM
JackZap

go see an osteopath

Old
07-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Habs Junkie

Funny, I finally got to see a physio. I'm in the chair as we speak receiving treatment with that electric machine.. Ahhhh sooo good. It turns out I have a disc bulge which is pinching my nerve that connects to my shoulder.. After this I'm off to see my doc for some goodies.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

I did the same thing.. in February of 2009... and I STILL have on and off pain. I'm only 19.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:11 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I did the same thing.. in February of 2009... and I STILL have on and off pain. I'm only 19.
Ouch at least I made it to the age of 35 before I started having trouble and as another poster pointed out everybody should work on lowering their stress levels if you can. I know now in this economy it is not easy but stress causes both mental and physical damages to your body that catches up with you.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Having lived thru this i can tell you the following

1) Go see a licensed physio - in Montreal area Concordia Physio did the trick for me
2) Daily movements 3-4 x daily will get the bulge moving back the right way - Physio will show you the way
3) stay active and improve your core muscles
4) extension to point 3 - start working on your abs, takes some of the load off your back

It takes some time, but if you're dedicated you'll get there

Old
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
otto bond

Thank you all for the feed back....backkkkk dam it sucks.
Tomorrow, I get to see my doctor and will start the process and diagnose. I will let you all know whats up and I do appreciate all of your feed back.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
speed11

Quote:
Thank you all for the feed back....backkkkk dam it sucks.
Tomorrow, I get to see my doctor and will start the process and diagnose. I will let you all know whats up and I do appreciate all of your feed back.
hopefully it's just a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle, best of luck.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Hank Scorpio

Ahhh back pain... my arch nemesis.

I know the doctor will probably sort you out tomorrow and people have suggested a number of things but what always helps me out is alternating hot and cold on the area where it hurts. The heat will relax the muscles and loosen up any tension in there and the cold will help it stay that way while taking away the pain. People often do one or the other but you want to alternate both. It will take a few days depending on how serious the strain is should it be a muscle strain but this in combination with Tylenol or something should get you back into working condition.

If it is a recurring problem you should probably look to Chiro, Massage Therapy, Aquatic exercise or yoga to help long term but the heat/cold should help you out for the time being and if it doesn't have to do with your muscles it won't make anything worse.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Chili

Been there, via moving a heavy cabinet.

Was so bad, literally could not sit down.

Had to go to the chiro for a couple of weeks.

The most important word though is...

Stretches

They can be painful to do, but knowing your limits and just reaching them as things improve is the key. I saw dramatic improvement within days.

Edit: The stretches are good to do even when your back is healthy; keeps it that way for me.

Swimming is good advice too.

Any doctor or chiro should be able to suggest some relevant stretches.

Last edited by Chili: 07-12-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old
07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Been there, via moving a heavy cabinet.

Was so bad, literally could not sit down.

Had to go to the chiro for a couple of weeks.

The most important word though is...

Stretches

They can be painful to do, but knowing your limits and just reaching them as things improve is the key. I saw dramatic improvement within days.

Edit: The stretches are good to do even when your back is healthy; keeps it that way for me.

Swimming is good advice too.

Any doctor or chiro should be able to suggest some relevant stretches.
That is what I'm doing. The hardest thing is making circles. More so wen I do it counter clock. Will take one step at a time.

Old
07-15-2010, 01:14 PM
otto bond

Good news, I feel 50% better!

Old
07-16-2010, 02:57 AM
PacoXIII

Well, I also have a herniated disc, I remember all too vividly how I discovered I hat it too. I was playing soccer in a school gym. I went up for a header and some guy gave me a solid nudge from behind. I felt a sharp pain in my lower back. I started sprinting... and my legs literally lost strength with every step. I limped off towards the locker rooms, put on my socks and then BAM, my back locked up and I started having spasms. My friends I have suffered several kinds of injuries to this body and back problems are by far the worst (knee gets 2nd place, ankles 3rd). So I went to a doc, he gave me about 3-4 weeks off work, I did some exercises for the back and abs, slowly got into jogging and biking and guess what... I even got an epidural for the pain... yes, an epidural (pregnant women get that in the back for the pain. We have such a ****** medical system in Quebec I did one and in hindsight.. didnt need one. Regardless of that fact... shortly after the pain went away and i was able to return to my soccer activities like before... only this time I was 20 pounds(at least) heavier. *see battle of the bulge thread*.

The reason I wrote all this is because I aggravated my back this very night. Recurring symptoms. watch out.

Old
07-20-2010, 08:55 AM
shortcat1

They call their band what?

With today's proliferation of bands, indie bands, obscure bands, narrow market focus bands, etc, due primarily to the spread of the web. It's giving, to a whole new world of people of different interests, access to bands that, sometimes, even local people have never heard of.

In that light, anyone can be 'out of touch' with what's current in the music industry. Hence my topic...

I began reading an article in the local daily newspaper's entertainment section that had to do with a group called 'WolfParade'. I thought... "Hmmmm.... 'WolfParade'.... I gues...

It's not that I dislike their music. They may be really good musicians who have put together a good creative package in their songs, it's just the name, 'WolfParade'. On top of that, the author of the article called them "the Wolfies"... ok.... I gess...

Then he goes on to say that the band took a year off between albums and that gave the lead singer and lead guitarist an opportunity to do some stuff with their respective bands, 'Sunset Rubdown' & 'Handsome Furs'. Sunset Rubdown? Handsome Furs? Wooffffff.... now there's some creative juxtipositions of words for band names.

I know that this is giving you an indication of my age but I've always been open, and still am, to the musically creative aspect of musicians of all ages but, sometimes' I'm baffled by the names they choose or construct to identify themselves.

I'm trying to think back to my time for bands with strange names. I can't come up with many. There's, of course, Jefferson Airplane, Credence Clearwater Revival (maybe), the Moody Blues (maybe but not really, the two words do have a thematic connection), Velvet Underground (yeah, I guess...), and others. Heck, even the name Iron Butterfly makes sense if you listen to their music and you think of the obvious contrast & irony of those two names put together,

Even the bands of the 70's & 80's that I enjoyed had 'understandable' names - Flock of Seagulls, Led Zeppelin, U2, Men At Work, Guns 'n Roses, etc... Def Leppard is kind of a strange grouping of words, I suppose.

In any case, I'm showing another side of my 'not with it'ness but 'Sunset Rubdown'?

Any bands you know with strange or 'inappropriate' (I don't necessarily mean politically incorrect or vulgar) names? And why do you thinks so?

Old
07-20-2010, 09:41 AM
coolasprICE

Of Montreal

And they're from Athens Georgia.... Go figure.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
DougHarvey

You say the bands of today have strange names. I guess all the good ones are gone and bands today just slap words together. Just to play devil's advocate check out some of the band names below from the 60's and 70's

1.Strawberry Alarm Clock
2.Moby Grape
3.Blue Cheer
4.The Fugs

Old
07-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I win:

And you will know us by the trail of dead

Old