HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Will Make SOME Changes this Offseason

Old
06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Flyers Will Make SOME Changes this Offseason

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/11/10/Ho...961&feedID=704

Goaltending Issue:

Quote:

Goaltending remains the top offseason priority for the Flyers. Holmgren said it was "highly unlikely" this Flyers unit will remain the same; it will need some changeover.
Making Changes, but NOT through Free Agency:

Quote:
And although the Flyers lacked adequate NHL-ready depth on defense in the playoffs, Holmgren said he doesn’t feel the need to upgrade there in free agency. The third pair could improve.

Holmgren said the answers are right here.

“Our guys need opportunities to play,” he said, later referring to young Ryan Parent, who the club hasn’t given up on. “Our coaches did a good job of playing their best players in the playoffs. … Do we need to find a guy? I think we have those guys.”

Holmgren also said he expected additional help there and elsewhere within the ranks.

The Flyers signed three undrafted free agents this spring who he feels could help: Defenseman Erik Gustafsson and forwards Mike Testwuide and Ben Holmstrom. All three were signed out of college.

“There are three guys who could get consideration [to play next season],” Holmgren said. “Are they ready? That’s a big jump from the NCAA to the National Hockey League. … I wouldn’t be surprised if they played games,” he noted, adding he didn’t expect them to make the team in training camp, but could be call-ups.

Hartnell Probablly staying:

Quote:
Holmgren defended Scott Hartnell, who had some serious personal issues that greatly affected his play during the regular season. Those issues were concluded late in the season, and Hartnell was the second best forward on the club behind Briere in the playoffs.

It now appears Hartnell will not be traded (he has a no-trade clause), even though the Flyers contemplated doing that during the regular season.

“I don’t remember one time that Scott talked about [his problem],” Holmgren said. “He stuck with it. He stuck to it. He continued to work. And I think he played tremendous in the playoffs for us. I thought he came on in the last 20 games and it carried over into the playoffs. He had some issues to deal with that weren’t very nice.”
Good Chance RFA's will be Back but not UFA:

Quote:
Holmgren said he felt it would be “easy” to re-sign his four top restricted free agents: Braydon Coburn, Darroll Powe, Dan Carcillo and Parent. … Though Holmgren did not comment, the Flyers likely won’t re-sign unrestricted free agent Arron Asham.

Last edited by sa cyred: 06-11-2010 at 06:23 PM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:21 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

So defensively we won't change. Something in our goaltending unit will change, but not necessarily Leighton. And we're good at forward, all the RFAs will be back but Asham probably wont be.

Does that sum it up?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Holmgren had a presser today but I can't find video.

Reading it, he likes the defense, likes the center depth, likes Scott Hartnell, but says there will be changes. If he likes everyone, just what exactly does he want to change?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 06:47 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Holmgren had a presser today but I can't find video.

Reading it, he likes the defense, likes the center depth, likes Scott Hartnell, but says there will be changes. If he likes everyone, just what exactly does he want to change?
Asham, Krajicek and a goalie out. That's what it sounds like to me. That's three spots and maybe a 4th due to a trade opportunity dropping into his lap.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Flyersguru

Always take Homer with a grain of salt, he learned that from Clarkie

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Hopefully Parent can heal up and get stronger and smarter over the summer. Then we can have a re-signed Parent and Coburn healthy with 6 d-men for ourselves next season. I can say though, we might have a LOT of room for the cap next season.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
blah

I still think Parent is the next Seidenberg. An inexpensive veteran 5th with Bartulis as the 6th is good for next season.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
“I don’t remember one time that Scott talked about [his problem],” Holmgren said. “He stuck with it. He stuck to it. He continued to work. And I think he played tremendous in the playoffs for us. I thought he came on in the last 20 games and it carried over into the playoffs. He had some issues to deal with that weren’t very nice.”

if thats the case, that gives me respect for hartnell. while he was abviously affected by something this season, sounds like he never leaned on it as an excuse.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
I still think Parent is the next Seidenberg. An inexpensive veteran 5th with Bartulis as the 6th is good for next season.
I would be so happy if Parent played like Seidenberg next year. Seidenberg is pretty underrated in general.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 01:10 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Seidenberg is far away from being a 5th defenseman.
He's at the very least a very good #4. There's usually a big difference between #4 and #5.

Concerning Holmgren, it sounds like he won't sign Leighton, or was he just talking about the depth in goaltending? Because I highly doubt they trade Boucher, afterall he was pretty good in the playoffs, too.
Someone with "insider information" earlier said on these forums, that the Flyers will actively go after a young goalie, with Price as the guy they like the most. Now, you don't know how legit this information is, but hearing Holmgren like this now, you might give it some believe.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Seidenberg is far away from being a 5th defenseman.
He's at the very least a very good #4. There's usually a big difference between #4 and #5.

Concerning Holmgren, it sounds like he won't sign Leighton, or was he just talking about the depth in goaltending? Because I highly doubt they trade Boucher, afterall he was pretty good in the playoffs, too.
Someone with "insider information" earlier said on these forums, that the Flyers will actively go after a young goalie, with Price as the guy they like the most. Now, you don't know how legit this information is, but hearing Holmgren like this now, you might give it some believe.
The problem with that is that they don't have a 2nd round draft pick in 2011 so they have to offer a guy like Price 3-4.5M per year range. No more no less. I don't know if he's worth that.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Jester

We'll have to wait and see what actually happens (no, I don't trust Homer's honesty when talking about this type of stuff), but on the surface that appears to be the correct approach in my mind. Of course, last year he talked about protecting his cap space and then immediately went and blew that in the first month of the season, so whatever.

You can quibble about the defense, but if he's not going to move one of Carle and Coburn, then I agree with not going hard after an UFA that would add potentially unnecessary cap space. There is little pressure early in the season to have your third pairing perfect, and if those guys can't grow into a quality third pairing over the first 40 games, you can look to make a deal for someone.

If goaltending is the "top offseason priority," that makes me think they're going to look for a starter other than Leighton (if Leighton is your intended starter, then I'm not sure it would be the "top offseason priority" as he's clearly signable).

Now if we can just get a faceoff winning third line center...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Now if we can just get a faceoff winning third line center...
This is a recording. This time, Homer, please get one!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
For Parent to be like Seidenberg, he's got to bring offense to the table. Seidenberg had been over 20 minutes this year and last year. Parent has no offensive abilities, and I don't feel his future is on this team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I would be so happy if Parent played like Seidenberg next year. Seidenberg is pretty underrated in general.
I meant the part where the Flyers lose patience with him b/c of the injuries and trade him. Parent needs to go to a team that has 20 mpg for him. If he manages to stay healthy, then he'll turn into that 2nd pairing dman. It's looking more likely that it won't happen in a Flyers jersey IMO. Bartulis can replace him. There's more kids in the AHL for call-ups. And it's probably a good idea to get a veteran dman to anchor that 3rd paring, regardless.

Present-day Seidenberg might have been a tad underrated. But teams were probably scared of his injury history more than anything. Boston just gave him a new contract, so that's probably not the case anymore. Seidenberg always looked good when he played. I wanted the Flyers to grab him last offseason.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
For Parent to be like Seidenberg, he's got to bring offense to the table. Seidenberg had been over 20 minutes this year and last year. Parent has no offensive abilities, and I don't feel his future is on this team.
No offensive abilities is being generous even, he barely can make outlet passes... Its always a clear by the boards with him, or most of the time. I guess that comes with confidence, I dont think its gonna happen in Philly either.

He needs more minutes to become the player he was projected as, I really doubt its gonna happen with his 8-12mins a game.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
No offensive abilities is being generous even, he barely can make outlet passes... Its always a clear by the boards with him, or most of the time. I guess that comes with confidence, I dont think its gonna happen in Philly either.

He needs more minutes to become the player he was projected as, I really doubt its gonna happen with his 8-12mins a game.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Would you prefer him to make a low percentage pass up the middle and have it turned around against us for a goal?

Parent needs to develop some more, but him putting the puck up the wall as opposed to through the middle is FAR from being a problem in his game.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Parent has and never will ever be known to contribute much offensively. All you ask of him if hes on the 3rd pairing is to make the safe play and dont take chances.
I dont care if he chips it off the boards and out of the zone every time. If thats the right play when hes on the ice fine. Hes not a good enough passer or puck handler to be taking chances with fancy outlet passes in the middle of the ice.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post

A huge concern I have with Parent is, and always has been, his inability to stay in the lineup long enough to develop into the player he was projected to be. I also question if that projection was a valid one. Considering Parent's history to-date I'd have no problem moving him for a more serviceable player and putting the cap to better use. I feel that there still might be enough interest in his potential in the NHL to get a fair return... I don't know if I could say that down the line.

As for the third pairing come next postseason; Homer is in much greater position to handle that come the next Trade Deadline due to the loss of his 'Albatross' of recent years, Rathje. Such spots as the third pairing are perfect for rental veterans who are more valuable for the playoffs than they are needed in the Regular Season. IMO, had Homer had the Cap Space that Rathje sapped from him, he could have brought in a third pairing D-man who may have made a huge difference in a Postseason that was decided by a not so large gap.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Blazephr

NYR fan here:

I personally thought Holmgren should have tried to keep the team from 2 years ago together. I didn't quite understand letting go of players like Knuble ,Lupul, Upshall and Umberger. I think had they stayed together, they would have grown together as a unit.

Bringing in Carcillo just seemed wrong to me. I do understand the cap situation in Philly is rather tight, but I'm pretty certain there were other options.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
NYR fan here:

I personally thought Holmgren should have tried to keep the team from 2 years ago together. I didn't quite understand letting go of players like Knuble ,Lupul, Upshall and Umberger. I think had they stayed together, they would have grown together as a unit.

Bringing in Carcillo just seemed wrong to me. I do understand the cap situation in Philly is rather tight, but I'm pretty certain there were other options.

It was to find a guy who could play a regular shift and keep our stars from having to fight. No coincidence that prior to the trade we got the hell beat out of us physically on a West Coast trip.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It was to find a guy who could play a regular shift and keep our stars from having to fight. No coincidence that prior to the trade we got the hell beat out of us physically on a West Coast trip.
Finally, someone who saw what Homer and me saw.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
[/B]

They had Asham for that if that was all that was to it. I wasn't thrilled with the deal for quite a while but am okay with it now. Upshall was too often injured and was gearing up for a much larger contract... They liked the way Carcillo played and agitated and there was more Cap certainty for another year and more Cap space thereon out.

The idea of players being able to play a regular shift and fight/police like the Bullies did is interesting with the belief that Asham will not be re-signed... that to me is more reason to ink Carcillo. I don't want Lappy put more in that position than he already is -- and better to keep him on the 4th line/PK -- and Hartnell should be a last resort to fight, IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
They had Asham for that if that was all that was to it. I wasn't thrilled with the deal for quite a while but am okay with it now. Upshall was too often injured and was gearing up for a much larger contract... They liked the way Carcillo played and agitated and there was more Cap certainty for another year and more Cap space thereon out.
Asham was the 4th line RW last year. He was behind Knuble, Lupul and Upshall/Giroux.

Old
06-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. Would you prefer him to make a low percentage pass up the middle and have it turned around against us for a goal?

Parent needs to develop some more, but him putting the puck up the wall as opposed to through the middle is FAR from being a problem in his game.
When he touches the puck, its a dump by the boards... For the NHL, no thats not good enough(main reason he got stuck in his own end so much is this and opposing coaches got to put their best players on the ice against him). Not for a player that was rated so highly. He needs to be able to see those plays and right now it kinda looks like he's not even trying. But like I said, those things come with confidence... I just dont think he'll get the ice time to get to that point.

He wont develop that first pass when he dumps the puck 90% of the time... He needs to get the puck to the fowards more often. Its kinda weird because when he first got in Philly, I dont remember it being that much of a problem and his first pass was one of his strenghts if I remember correctly.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote