HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Quick Question

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2004, 10:31 PM
CuSa_1

vCash: 500
Entry Draft

What's the date of the draft?

Sorry I know I could look it up very easily, however I wanted to pose the question (just to spark some draft convos)....

How far would a package of our 1st round pick and Demitra get us in the first round?

Old
05-17-2004, 10:41 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
What's the date of the draft?

Sorry I know I could look it up very easily, however I wanted to pose the question (just to spark some draft convos)....

How far would a package of our 1st round pick and Demitra get us in the first round?
Not very. In fact, we would probably end up lower than we are now if we traded our first with Demitra in the package. We could probably get a good NHL level player plus a midlevel pick or prospect but I seriously doubt we could get a higher first with that package(and getting a higher first is the ONLY reason I would even consider trading ours)

BTW day one of the draft is Sat, June 26 and it is being held in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Old
05-17-2004, 10:56 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Not very. In fact, we would probably end up lower than we are now if we traded our first with Demitra in the package. We could probably get a good NHL level player plus a midlevel pick or prospect but I seriously doubt we could get a higher first with that package(and getting a higher first is the ONLY reason I would even consider trading ours)

BTW day one of the draft is Sat, June 26 and it is being held in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Thanks for the date...

You don't think a team like the Minnesota Wild (although they are a defensive minded team) wouldn't mind moving down 5 spots and picking up (the rights to) Pavol?

If not, do you think that ANYONE would give up any sort of draft pick for his rights?

I'd hope somewhere along the lines of 2-3rd rounder.

Old
05-17-2004, 11:05 PM
degroat*

I sure wish someone could show me any logical reason to trade Demitra. This is a team that will not be contending for the Cup for a few years, so the money spent on him would be much more valuable to the team than a similar amount spent on Weight.

Old
05-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I sure wish someone could show me any logical reason to trade Demitra. This is a team that will not be contending for the Cup for a few years, so the money spent on him would be much more valuable to the team than a similar amount spent on Weight.
Trading Demitra (who made $6.5 million and is arbitration eligible) would be easier to do than trading Weight (who makes $9 million the next 2 years). If the goal is to slash payroll, obviously you'd try like hell to move Weight and Tkachuk first...but logistically it'll be much harder.

For the record....when Pittsburgh and Florida flopped places in the 1st round last year, the Panthers got Mikael Samuelsson (IMO a mid-level prospect at best) when trading from 1st down to 3rd. I'd like to think putting Demitra in there could move the Blues from 17th into the top 5, but you have to find a team that (a) wants Demitra, and (b - the hard part) is willing to pay what he might make in arbitration.

05-18-2004, 03:32 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Trading Demitra (who made $6.5 million and is arbitration eligible) would be easier to do than trading Weight (who makes $9 million the next 2 years). If the goal is to slash payroll, obviously you'd try like hell to move Weight and Tkachuk first...but logistically it'll be much harder.

For the record....when Pittsburgh and Florida flopped places in the 1st round last year, the Panthers got Mikael Samuelsson (IMO a mid-level prospect at best) when trading from 1st down to 3rd. I'd like to think putting Demitra in there could move the Blues from 17th into the top 5, but you have to find a team that (a) wants Demitra, and (b - the hard part) is willing to pay what he might make in arbitration.
I don't see him going to arbitration again. He made 6.5 last season, but was not the player he was in 03. I think that both he and his agent will look to be qualified because if he goes to arb. he will lose. I would like the Blues to sign him to a long term deal 3-4 season at 4 mil. He is still the most skilled Blues player.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Weight (who makes $9 million the next 2 years)
Weight makes $7M and $7.5M over the next two years.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Prussian_Blue

Just to sort of change the subject here...

I made an inquiry at the Trade Rumors board as to wether or not Ottawa would be interested in Tkachuk, Mayers and Shawn Belle in exchange for Patrick Lalime and Radek Bonk. I made no mention of eating any of Katy's salary.

The one Ottawa fan who responded (a guy with over 3000 posts, for what that's worth) was very enthusastically in favor of that deal.

Do any of you think that's a realistc avenue to pursue? I'd love to unload Katy's big contract, and get a younger center in the bargain. I'd put Bonk with Demitra, maybe try Sejna on that wing again, and then the Blues could look to move Weight if at all possible and play Cajanek as the #2 center with Boguniecki and Drake.

Lalime will be 30 in July, and was great this season, but because he lost his last game to TO, the Ottawa fans want him gone. I think he'd be a good stopgap for the Blues until either Nissinen, Barulin or Sanford is ready to be the number one guy in two or three years. He did make $2.575 MM last year, but that's still less than the Blues paid Osgood, and Lalime is younger and bigger.

Thoughts, anyone?

PrussianBlue

Old
05-18-2004, 10:34 PM
CuSa_1

I supposed I'd take the deal, however, the Blues may feel attatched to Belle, since we've had a reputation of not keeping our 1st round picks/prospects.

I think I'd rather get a 1st rounder instead of Lalime. Maybe this could be done via 3-way deal...

Maybe Edmonton at 14 would be interested in Lalime? I kind of like this scenerio...

Tkachuk, Belle, Mayers(basically nothing)
for Bonk and the 14th overall pick?

Carolina may be interested in aquiring that true numero uno goaltender. They pick at #8. Intriguing. Personally I want to see what Jarmo can do with a drawer full of draft picks.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:42 PM
degroat*

Lalime really does nothing for me. I'd much rather start Divis and/or Sanford next year than go with another headcase of a goaltender.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:29 PM
rev

if jarmo is high on belle.. then go for it.. if jarmo is unhappy with belle.. then no..

i put my trust in the jarmo.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Tiger Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue

I made an inquiry at the Trade Rumors board as to wether or not Ottawa would be interested in Tkachuk, Mayers and Shawn Belle in exchange for Patrick Lalime and Radek Bonk. I made no mention of eating any of Katy's salary.

The one Ottawa fan who responded (a guy with over 3000 posts, for what that's worth) was very enthusastically in favor of that deal.

Do any of you think that's a realistc avenue to pursue? I'd love to unload Katy's big contract, and get a younger center in the bargain. I'd put Bonk with Demitra, maybe try Sejna on that wing again, and then the Blues could look to move Weight if at all possible and play Cajanek as the #2 center with Boguniecki and Drake.

Lalime will be 30 in July, and was great this season, but because he lost his last game to TO, the Ottawa fans want him gone. I think he'd be a good stopgap for the Blues until either Nissinen, Barulin or Sanford is ready to be the number one guy in two or three years. He did make $2.575 MM last year, but that's still less than the Blues paid Osgood, and Lalime is younger and bigger.

Thoughts, anyone?

PrussianBlue
With all due respect, of course, I think its very questionable to say that Lalime was great this season. It was my general feel that he was having an average type season that included many ups and downs.

I decided to do a quick Google search for articles out of Ottawa concerning his season, and found this one:

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040424/col_brennan-sun.html

Nothing Earth shattering, but there are a few comments that make his season sound less than stellar. And he did have a save percentage of .905, which of course was way down the list.

I've never followed Ottawa close enough to understand why everyone was so down on Bonk, but I figure its gone on long enough and loud enough that there must be valid reasons. So I'm leery of him as well.

I'd love to get rid of KT's salary, but I'm pretty hopeful that Belle will blossom and I'm not thrilled about giving him up. Especially to get what I see as two question marks in Lalime and Bonk. I'm not an Osgood fan at all, I'd love to upgrade, but I don't see this as the way.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Felix

Send a message via ICQ to Felix
Quote:

Thoughts, anyone?

PrussianBlue
PB, I've been pondering over KT's trade over some time and I also think that Ottawa could be interested in his services very much.
Personally, I do not think that Lalime is better option than Osgood and he is RFA (if I'm not mistaken). So, the difference in 0.5-1 mil. doesnot make much sense to me. I'd rather tried to get Prusek from them who (I beleive) could be acquired for 2 round pick and then let Osgood go.

I've come to idea of trading Tkachuk for Bonk and Bondra.
Reasons:
1. Bonk + Bondra make in combaine 8 mil a year so Sens would not have to eat a lot of salary - only 1 mil.
2. Bonk's production reduced this year and noone would like to pay him 3.5 mil. Besides, Spezza need more playing time.
3. Bondra scored 0 goals in playoffs and Sens are hesitatnt whether to exersice his option for the next season at 4.5 mil. His numbers also reduced this season.
4. Ottawa does not get rid of any of its top-notch young players in this trade.
5. I understand that Blues do not get that much in return. Tey'd have to overpay Bonk. But I'd rather overpay 3.5 mil to Bonk than 9 mil to KT. As of Bondra: he could be moved at the trade deadline to condenter and bring back picks and young player(s).
6. There could be variations as: KT for Bonk+Prusek + pick/ Bondra+ Prusek or even KT+Mayers for ... etc.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:03 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:

Thoughts, anyone?

PrussianBlue

I personally think this deal would really set the Blues back a lot. I see no benefit to it other than shedding some salary. The Blues give up the best player in Tkachuk in return for a guy that isn't a top line player and can be had probably cheaper considering his consistent playoff failures. Bonk is a servicable but not special 2nd line center. KT is a top power forward. Lalime probably won't be qualified so we're essentially giving up Belle and Tkachuk for a goalie we could have for free when he UFAs and who has never been a top NHL goalie anyway and a good but certainly not great 2nd line center for a top power forward, a stud prospect and Mayers, who I can't care less about... sorry, it's a terrible deal from the Blues perspective and I can't see it happening.

By the way this deal amounts to the Blues giving up a top 3 forward and a top 3 prospect in return for a goalie Ottawa doesn't want an a 2nd line center they don't really care that much about anyway. We give up top players/prospects in exchange for their castoffs? No.

Closed Thread