HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bos-Tampa

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
  #1
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Bos-Tampa

hey guys,

i come in peace, don't flame me if you don't like the trade, just want to get your opinion.

to Bos: Ryan Malone, Mike Smith = 6.7 cap hit

to Tampa: Tim Thomas, Matt Hunwick, bos 2nd rounder = 6.450 cap hit

you guys get a #1 goalie, i know his contract is not ideal but you are getting rid of more cap space and i think both malone and smith have less than ideal contracts. tim thomas is good friends with marty and he gets a chance to be a #1 in tampa which is a very nice city to live in so i think there is a strong chance he waives his nmc.

hunwick is a young solid puck moving d-man who is a very good skater and is on a fair contract. and obviously a second round pick has good value. would be willing to add a decent prospect as well if needed.....

Boston gets a good winger, which they are in depserate need of. even though his contract is not great the money is better spent at the wing position instead of our back up goalie. we also get a solid back up in mike smith, does not have a great contract either but is cheaper than thomas as a back up.

i really tried to make this one fair. what are your thoughts......?

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
  #2
19brichards91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Mike Smith? Really? I don't know about Malone, but Mike Smith YES (anything to get rid of him)! Be gone.

19brichards91 is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
  #3
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
a new era
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 15,880
vCash: 500
It's not a bad deal, but I'm not in favor of moving Malone. We need him in our top 6.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now  
Old
06-12-2010, 03:07 AM
  #4
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
I don't want tim Thomas is useless, I'd ask for Hunwick, 15th overall and their 2nd for Smith and Malone

KingJet* is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 06:02 AM
  #5
LightningStrikes
Moderator
He is back
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,614
vCash: 500
Honestly my biggest worry right now is that Stevie Y will move Malone in the next months.

LightningStrikes is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 11:22 AM
  #6
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
I don't want tim Thomas is useless, I'd ask for Hunwick, 15th overall and their 2nd for Smith and Malone
hunwick our 15th and our 2nd might not be terrible value for malone alone, but we could not do it simply because of the salary cap.

i think calling thomas useless is a little harsh as well. thomas is a very good goalie, his contract is kind of crap i'll give you that, but he is still a good goalie.

honestly the malone and smith contracts are kind of crappy as well.

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 07:41 PM
  #7
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos
 
Vasilevski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Don't like that trade at all

Vasilevski is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
  #8
mblightning
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Yeah, I pass on this trade. I dont really want to trade Malone until we know that Ashton can do what he does. We need a goalie and some puckmoving d more than anything

mblightning is offline  
Old
06-12-2010, 11:56 PM
  #9
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblightning View Post
Yeah, I pass on this trade. I dont really want to trade Malone until we know that Ashton can do what he does. We need a goalie and some puckmoving d more than anything
this trade gets you a very good goalie and a solid puck moving defense man who is young and on a good contract.

but it sounds like most of you don't want to give up malone, so is there someone else you would rather trade that would be good value for both teams?

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 08:28 AM
  #10
STRANGE VICTORY
Registered User
 
STRANGE VICTORY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Iceland
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
I have to say I think Thomas would be the perfect goalie. He has a weird style but he just flat out stops the puck. He played like a #1 goalie last year, Rask just played arguably better than any goalie in the league when he was in net. On top of all of this Thomas is among the best personalities you could hope for in the locker room, and he will retire as one of the kids is ready to be the starter.

Hunwick had an awful year last year, but he was very good the year before and would fit Boucher's system very well, very smart and an excellent skater, he is atleast worth taking a shot on.

Send Wishert and Smith back, Wishert is a better fit for Boston and they could use a less expensive backup.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 10:37 AM
  #11
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANGE VICTORY View Post
I have to say I think Thomas would be the perfect goalie. He has a weird style but he just flat out stops the puck. He played like a #1 goalie last year, Rask just played arguably better than any goalie in the league when he was in net.
Send Wishert and Smith back, Wishert is a better fit for Boston and they could use a less expensive backup.
In front of a good defense...

and don't send Wishart.

Still All In is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
  #12
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
In front of a good defense...

and don't send Wishart.
we do have a solid defense, but it is funny you say this because after Chara most Bruins fans are not to satisfied with our defense. The Bruins defense is good, and they do play a solid defensive system but i think it is unfair to say that he played good only because of the defense in front of him. by that logic you wouldn't think that guy playing net in Jersey was any good.

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
  #13
Alex28*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
we do have a solid defense, but it is funny you say this because after Chara most Bruins fans are not to satisfied with our defense. The Bruins defense is good, and they do play a solid defensive system but i think it is unfair to say that he played good only because of the defense in front of him. by that logic you wouldn't think that guy playing net in Jersey was any good.
Bruins made the playoffs with the worst offense in the league, easily dispatched the Sabres and took the second deepest team in the NHL to seven games. If you're not satisfied with your defense or defensive scheme there's something wrong with you.

If Thomas was a starting netminder in Tampa this past year, he'd get lit up ridiculously. This next upcoming year they don't need to gamble on a goalie of his contract status (expensive and 35+ rule) if they implement a system that preaches even remote defensive effectiveness.

Your best bet for getting rid of Thomas would be sending Thomas, Stuart and your 2nd and taking back Smith, Fedoruk, Walker and one decent asset like Wright or Ashton.

Alex28* is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
  #14
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforunato View Post
Bruins made the playoffs with the worst offense in the league, easily dispatched the Sabres and took the second deepest team in the NHL to seven games. If you're not satisfied with your defense or defensive scheme there's something wrong with you.

If Thomas was a starting netminder in Tampa this past year, he'd get lit up ridiculously. This next upcoming year they don't need to gamble on a goalie of his contract status (expensive and 35+ rule) if they implement a system that preaches even remote defensive effectiveness.

Your best bet for getting rid of Thomas would be sending Thomas, Stuart and your 2nd and taking back Smith, Fedoruk, Walker and one decent asset like Wright or Ashton.
never said i was not happy with our defensive system or play, i am not an idiot i realize our scoring sucked this year and the only reason we made the playoffs was because of our defensive system. i was simply stating that after chara the Bruins don't necessarily have a elite or great defense on paper. it got a lot better with the signing of seidenberg and it has always been solid but the person above made it sound like we had some rediculous defense for thomas to play in front of.

the reason our defense looks so good half the time is because we have very good goal tending, either rask or thomas. its funny how people always forget that the goalie is actually the most important defender, everyone forgets that the goalie has the most to do with the defensive stats.

if thomas played on tampa i guarantee you he would not have gotten "lit up" he is a very good goalie, people who don't watch him play, i am assuming you, always rag on him and make up a new excuse every time for why he is not that good. in reality he is just a good goalie, it is sad that he never gets his due in respect. but by your logic you would think that rask is just a average goalie who would have gotten "lit up" in tampa. so i guess goalies can not be good if they play for a solid defensive team. it is always the defenders who bail the goalie out, not the other way around.....?

your defense on paper is actually not that bad, that says a lot about your goalie and the system you guys play. is smith really that bad???

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
  #15
TBLHoser
Registered User
 
TBLHoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
never said i was not happy with our defensive system or play, i am not an idiot i realize our scoring sucked this year and the only reason we made the playoffs was because of our defensive system. i was simply stating that after chara the Bruins don't necessarily have a elite or great defense on paper. it got a lot better with the signing of seidenberg and it has always been solid but the person above made it sound like we had some rediculous defense for thomas to play in front of.

the reason our defense looks so good half the time is because we have very good goal tending, either rask or thomas. its funny how people always forget that the goalie is actually the most important defender, everyone forgets that the goalie has the most to do with the defensive stats.

if thomas played on tampa i guarantee you he would not have gotten "lit up" he is a very good goalie, people who don't watch him play, i am assuming you, always rag on him and make up a new excuse every time for why he is not that good. in reality he is just a good goalie, it is sad that he never gets his due in respect. but by your logic you would think that rask is just a average goalie who would have gotten "lit up" in tampa. so i guess goalies can not be good if they play for a solid defensive team. it is always the defenders who bail the goalie out, not the other way around.....?

your defense on paper is actually not that bad, that says a lot about your goalie and the system you guys play. is smith really that bad???
Pretty much the same thing here, only the good goaltending came from Nitty 90% of the time. Our D overall was slow and not aggressive at all. Best player was probably Lundin. Is Mike Smith that bad? He was good until those concussions and then he changed his game....his reaction time seemed to slow and he contracted Gerber disease. (Gerber disease = diving headfirst with opposing player with puck in front, allowing said player to flip puck over goalie into net.)

TBLHoser is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 07:01 PM
  #16
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
never said i was not happy with our defensive system or play, i am not an idiot i realize our scoring sucked this year and the only reason we made the playoffs was because of our defensive system. i was simply stating that after chara the Bruins don't necessarily have a elite or great defense on paper. it got a lot better with the signing of seidenberg and it has always been solid but the person above made it sound like we had some rediculous defense for thomas to play in front of.

the reason our defense looks so good half the time is because we have very good goal tending, either rask or thomas. its funny how people always forget that the goalie is actually the most important defender, everyone forgets that the goalie has the most to do with the defensive stats.

if thomas played on tampa i guarantee you he would not have gotten "lit up" he is a very good goalie, people who don't watch him play, i am assuming you, always rag on him and make up a new excuse every time for why he is not that good. in reality he is just a good goalie, it is sad that he never gets his due in respect. but by your logic you would think that rask is just a average goalie who would have gotten "lit up" in tampa. so i guess goalies can not be good if they play for a solid defensive team. it is always the defenders who bail the goalie out, not the other way around.....?

your defense on paper is actually not that bad, that says a lot about your goalie and the system you guys play. is smith really that bad???
You guys truly do play a defense first system and it works fantastically, and thats not to take away from Tim Thomas, but we were ****ing terrible defensively, both forwards and defenders were problematic. There is a huge, huge disparity between Boston and Tampa in regards to defensive schemes last year.

Still All In is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 08:38 PM
  #17
STRANGE VICTORY
Registered User
 
STRANGE VICTORY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Iceland
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
You guys truly do play a defense first system and it works fantastically, and thats not to take away from Tim Thomas, but we were ****ing terrible defensively, both forwards and defenders were problematic. There is a huge, huge disparity between Boston and Tampa in regards to defensive schemes last year.
Thomas had some of his best games behind Boston's porous defense 3 years ago, He may of put up his best stats 2 years ago but he really raises his game when he is seeing more shots.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline  
Old
06-13-2010, 10:31 PM
  #18
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
You guys truly do play a defense first system and it works fantastically, and thats not to take away from Tim Thomas, but we were ****ing terrible defensively, both forwards and defenders were problematic. There is a huge, huge disparity between Boston and Tampa in regards to defensive schemes last year.
yea that is true, i was just defending thomas because i get very annoyed when people trash the guy. he is a great goalie, his contract might not be great, but he is a great goalie and a very well liked guy and it is still sad after what he has done that he gets little respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANGE VICTORY View Post
Thomas had some of his best games behind Boston's porous defense 3 years ago, He may of put up his best stats 2 years ago but he really raises his game when he is seeing more shots.
this is a good point, he raises his level of play in tough games and no matter what he always goes out there and competes 100%

btw sorry for showing so much man love for thomas on your forum.

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
  #19
CSampson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
35+ rule and contract kills this trade. I don't think the Bolts can take that chance and be handcuffed by another contract like this.

CSampson is offline  
Old
06-18-2010, 07:36 PM
  #20
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
what about the following

thomas, 32nd overall

for

smith

you guys have the additional capspace, pick up a sweet pick in the process. having seen malone in pitt and now tb, the guys a keeper.

Richter35 is online now  
Old
06-18-2010, 08:31 PM
  #21
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
what about the following

thomas, 32nd overall

for

smith

you guys have the additional capspace, pick up a sweet pick in the process. having seen malone in pitt and now tb, the guys a keeper.
I'd do it but thats horribly lopsided.

Still All In is offline  
Old
06-19-2010, 07:23 AM
  #22
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos
 
Vasilevski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I'd do it but thats horribly lopsided.
too good to be true

Vasilevski is offline  
Old
06-19-2010, 10:40 PM
  #23
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
what about the following

thomas, 32nd overall

for

smith

you guys have the additional capspace, pick up a sweet pick in the process. having seen malone in pitt and now tb, the guys a keeper.
how about one for one then?

thomas for smith

you guys would be easilty winning value wise but we do need cap space, and smith would be a solid back up goalie for a year.

i would not be totally opposed even though i think thomas might be able to get a better return.

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-20-2010, 12:00 AM
  #24
Still All In
Plz stop pucks
 
Still All In's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 19,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
how about one for one then?

thomas for smith

you guys would be easilty winning value wise but we do need cap space, and smith would be a solid back up goalie for a year.

i would not be totally opposed even though i think thomas might be able to get a better return.
I'd do that in a ****ing heartbeat, for real

Still All In is offline  
Old
06-20-2010, 05:15 AM
  #25
LightningStrikes
Moderator
He is back
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
how about one for one then?

thomas for smith

you guys would be easilty winning value wise but we do need cap space, and smith would be a solid back up goalie for a year.

i would not be totally opposed even though i think thomas might be able to get a better return.
Where do I sign?

LightningStrikes is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.