HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bos-Tampa

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2010, 09:34 AM
  #26
STRANGE VICTORY
Registered User
 
STRANGE VICTORY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Iceland
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
how about one for one then?

thomas for smith

you guys would be easilty winning value wise but we do need cap space, and smith would be a solid back up goalie for a year.

i would not be totally opposed even though i think thomas might be able to get a better return.
Honestly this sounds like a real good deal for both teams. Thomas would be the perfect goalie, locker room leadership and great reflexes.

STRANGE VICTORY is offline  
Old
06-20-2010, 02:41 PM
  #27
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,484
vCash: 500
i would do it but i am interested in what other Bruins fans would think of the deal.

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 05:55 PM
  #28
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,586
vCash: 500
i wouldnt do that

im all for freeing up cap space and letting thomas start somewhere, but unless we get something of equal value back, ill be perfectly happy with thomas staying one more year. His cap hit isnt that bad when you consider the tandem of he and rask is one of the best in the league for under 7 mil. So unless we get something good in return, moving thomas and leaving rask and the bruins vulnerable isnt worth it to me just to clear 5 mil of cap. Give it another year, see how he plays

if we could get malone or st louis in some way back that would be up for consideration, definitely.

-bruins fan

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
  #29
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFan98 View Post
i wouldnt do that

im all for freeing up cap space and letting thomas start somewhere, but unless we get something of equal value back, ill be perfectly happy with thomas staying one more year. His cap hit isnt that bad when you consider the tandem of he and rask is one of the best in the league for under 7 mil. So unless we get something good in return, moving thomas and leaving rask and the bruins vulnerable isnt worth it to me just to clear 5 mil of cap. Give it another year, see how he plays

if we could get malone or st louis in some way back that would be up for consideration, definitely.

-bruins fan
Hahahaha, no, no, no.

You're not going to get Malone or St. Louis back for a +35 contract goaltender signed 3 more years @ 5, especially when his playstyle suits you guys more than it does us and we can resign niitty for half of that, or get Ellis for half that.

The Fear Boners is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
  #30
LightningStrikes
Moderator
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,445
vCash: 50
CSN has it too now: http://www.csnne.com/06/21/10/CSNNEc...03&feedID=4021

Quote:
The Lightning make even more sense with Antero Nittymaki (an unrestricted free agent) and Mike Smith (on the books for one more season at $2.2 million) both more suited for a backup goaltender’s spot rather than a role as “the man” on an offensive team with Marty St. Louis, Steve Stamkos, Vinny Lecavalier and Victor Hedman.

Adding a bit more sweetener to the pot is the close relationship between St. Louis and Thomas dating back to their days playing hockey together at the University of Vermont.

Thomas has always spoken glowingly of his friendship with St. Louis, and the chance to play with his buddy and regain a starting job could make things look pretty attractive to a B’s goalie that’s clearly fallen out of favor in Boston through little fault of his own.
I'd love him here if we were able to send Smith the other way - maybe even Walker too. As I already posted yesterday somewhere in the Trade Rumors Forum imagine:

2010/11:
Thomas
Niittymaki

2011/12:
Thomas
Tokarski (/Niittymaki)

2012/13:
Tokarski
Thomas

LightningStrikes is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
  #31
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,773
vCash: 500
I think Id be ok with getting Thomas as long as we could send Smith the other way as part of the deal. As posted above if we could send Smith+Walker to Boston for Thomas than count me as one of the guys in the do it now corner.

I think Thomas is still a good number 1 with the ability to steal games and be great.

If somehow we picked up Thomas and Kaberle, shed a couple of our useless contracts (Smith, Walker, maybe Mez although Id like to see him one more season to be honest), and didnt give up much or any of our major assets, I think the team will be greatly improved.

IdealisticSniper is online now  
Old
06-21-2010, 07:43 PM
  #32
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,769
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I think Id be ok with getting Thomas as long as we could send Smith the other way as part of the deal. As posted above if we could send Smith+Walker to Boston for Thomas than count me as one of the guys in the do it now corner.

I think Thomas is still a good number 1 with the ability to steal games and be great.

If somehow we picked up Thomas and Kaberle, shed a couple of our useless contracts (Smith, Walker, maybe Mez although Id like to see him one more season to be honest), and didnt give up much or any of our major assets, I think the team will be greatly improved.
For me Smith woulkd have to be involved. I hate to use a hf cliche but we are doing them a favor by taking Thomas' contract. If Smith isn't involved then no deal.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
  #33
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
For me Smith woulkd have to be involved. I hate to use a hf cliche but we are doing them a favor by taking Thomas' contract. If Smith isn't involved then no deal.
Exactly. 100% correct. I brought this up on the main board thread but isnt Boston the one who has our 2nd from this year?

I wonder is something like Thomas + our 2nd back for Smith could be doable. The 2nd being for taking the dangerous contract or something...I dunno lol.

IdealisticSniper is online now  
Old
06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
  #34
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates
 
Going Back to Cally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 28,769
vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Exactly. 100% correct. I brought this up on the main board thread but isnt Boston the one who has our 2nd from this year?

I wonder is something like Thomas + our 2nd back for Smith could be doable. The 2nd being for taking the dangerous contract or something...I dunno lol.
Boston traded our second to Florida.

I doubt we could get a pick plus Thomas however. I would be happy with Thomas for Smith and a 6th or so.

Going Back to Cally is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 08:13 PM
  #35
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
I think Boston would do that. Just I know I'm not in the minority when I hope someone will take Walker off our hands lol

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 08:27 PM
  #36
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
I think Boston would do that. Just I know I'm not in the minority when I hope someone will take Walker off our hands lol
Absolutely. Id trade him for a bag of pucks right now. There is no room for him on this team right now. Period.

IdealisticSniper is online now  
Old
06-21-2010, 10:55 PM
  #37
BRichards19
 
BRichards19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TAMPA...... BAY!
Country: United States
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
There wasn't room for Matt Walker when he originally signed. But that's beating a dead horse.

I'm up for any trade that gets rid of Smith. He's clearly not right ever since returning from that concussion. Maybe he was rushed back too soon? Head injuries aren't something you should mess around with.

I'm fine with Tim Thomas but I'd rather just resign Niitty. He'd be cheaper and had flashes of absolute brilliance last year.

BRichards19 is offline  
Old
06-21-2010, 11:16 PM
  #38
PJ StockBB
Registered User
 
PJ StockBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,484
vCash: 500
while i think all of you sell thomas short (along with everyone else on this site who is not a Bruins fan) i would still do thomas for smith straight up.

i know he has a 35+ contract and has 3 years left on his deal but he is still a top goaltender in the league and his contract is not as bad to a team that does not have a #1. the reason his deal is so bad for Bruins fans is because we knew we had a great young goaltender coming through the system and that eventually we would have to trade timmy.

so for those of you who say to make it fair we would have to take matt walker as well or throw in a second round pick......not even close.

PJ StockBB is offline  
Old
06-22-2010, 12:03 AM
  #39
peanutvendor
Registered User
 
peanutvendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
while i think all of you sell thomas short (along with everyone else on this site who is not a Bruins fan) i would still do thomas for smith straight up.

i know he has a 35+ contract and has 3 years left on his deal but he is still a top goaltender in the league and his contract is not as bad to a team that does not have a #1. the reason his deal is so bad for Bruins fans is because we knew we had a great young goaltender coming through the system and that eventually we would have to trade timmy.

so for those of you who say to make it fair we would have to take matt walker as well or throw in a second round pick......not even close.
i think the point is not that thomas isnt very good, hes one of my favorite goaltenders to watch. the point is 1. contract 2. age 3. hip surgery 4. style of play. he is unorthodox and that could cause extra strain on his joints getting older. should he go down for the count or his play faulter we are still on the hook for his contract. that is a huge liability for a team who already has some larger long term contracts and some key players to sign in the next few years.

plus i think if tampa is going to add 5mil in salary in a trade, i would take the versteeg/sopel rumored package over thomas due to sopels expiring contract after next year. it is a safer trade and upgrades our top 6 and our defense.

those are why smith and walker for thomas is what i would consider necessary to get the deal done, as we would need to clear walkers salary for the duration of thomas'.

peanutvendor is offline  
Old
06-22-2010, 01:22 AM
  #40
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutvendor View Post
i think the point is not that thomas isnt very good, hes one of my favorite goaltenders to watch. the point is 1. contract 2. age 3. hip surgery 4. style of play. he is unorthodox and that could cause extra strain on his joints getting older. should he go down for the count or his play faulter we are still on the hook for his contract. that is a huge liability for a team who already has some larger long term contracts and some key players to sign in the next few years.

plus i think if tampa is going to add 5mil in salary in a trade, i would take the versteeg/sopel rumored package over thomas due to sopels expiring contract after next year. it is a safer trade and upgrades our top 6 and our defense.

those are why smith and walker for thomas is what i would consider necessary to get the deal done, as we would need to clear walkers salary for the duration of thomas'.
By way of reply,
1. Good starting goalies tend to make $5 million+.
2. Yes, he's 36, but his career is a record of perseverance, he's rarely injured, and very serious about conditioning, including yoga since the 2007 off season.
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=25330
3. The hip surgery was minor. He'll be ready for training camp.
4. He looks unorthodox and acrobatic, but his main focus is anticipating where he needs to be to make a stop. Nobody has a better book on shooters.

misterjaggers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.