HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

What is wrong with the media in TO?

Old
06-12-2010, 10:11 AM
The Nic

vCash: 500
What is wrong with the media in TO?

This thread isn't about today's lead article in the Sun's Sports section, which was mainly about Dion Phaneuf's impending captaincy. I decided to create this thread when I read the following paragraph...

"To appease the beancounters at MLSE, Monday’s event will feature a couple other notable developments. First, the team will unveil a re-tooled jersey which, if nothing else, will increase sales from the sucker populace that can’t get enough of a losing team."

I know that there have been many hundreds of threads written about the overwhelmingly negative attitudes of the writers and commentators in this town regarding the Maple Leafs. To be fair, I have never considered the writer of today's article (Rob Longley) to be anywhere near the worst of these offenders.

Something about the statement quoted above just made something snap in my mind. It pre-supposes that fans of any particular team are making a conscious decision to support it - a decision that should be made and re-made on a constant basis depending upon the playing success of the team. I think that this type of thinking is preposterous. You are a fan of the Maple Leafs (or any team for that matter) because of where you were born, where you live, who's games you went to with your father when you were a kid, who's results you lived and died with along with your friends when you were growing up. The team doesn't earn the right to be in your heart, it just is.

God knows how I hated the kids in school who liked the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, Oilers or whomever happened to be dominant at any particular time. That's not being a true fan in my mind... that's being bandwagoneer. Hell - there are soccer clubs in England that haven't won anything in over a hundred years who still have thousands of rabid supporters behind them. Why? Simply because the team represents their hometown and they have pride in the place that they're from.

Do I wish that the Leafs were getting better results on the ice in recent years? Damn straight I do. Do I hope that a recovery starts to happen in 2010/2011? Absolutely. Will I stop being a fan if this doesn't happen? That's just impossible. Will I be buying one of the nice new jerseys when they come out? Probably not... but I will quite likely buy one for my daughter. I would be ashamed if she ever wanted to own the sweater of any other hockey club. This is Toronto... and we're Leafs fans here. Doesn't matter whether or not the team wins or it loses. They're our team and we support them. We are happy when they're good... and we retain hope for better days ahead when they're not.

Somebody needs to explain the concept of being a fan to all of the jackals in the local media who act as though Leafs fans are suckers or morons simply because they retain their affection for the team no matter what happens. I say that... for anyone that has even an ounce of integrity... this is just the way that it has to be. You don't stop loving your parents, your brothers and sisters, your kids, your friends, your hometown, your country or anything else that really means something to you. You don't stop loving your hockey team either.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Nice post, One thing you must realize about all media, not just sports or entertainment. Negative press sells alot. Many of these writers aren't leaf fans and have to write about them, so they choose to be negative.

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Ignore them, next year when the Leafs are sipping champagne from a the Stanley Cup they will be kissing Burkes ass.

Atleast I hope

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Kessick

2nd worst team pulls in these ratings:

Quote:
Its regional ratings on Rogers Sportsnet Ontario rose to an average of 656,400 per game, a 106 per cent increase over last year. Only the Ottawa Senators’ 111 per cent increase was better, though the Sens’ improvement at least provided some logic for its 153,000 average.

Hockey Night in Canada’s early game, which usually put the Leafs in the national spotlight, averaged a record 1.8 million viewers — a 45.9 per cent increase over last season.

Over on TSN, NHL audiences for games involving Canadian-based teams averaged 714,000, a 66.4 per cent increase over last season.

The main reason for that increase?

You guessed it: the Blue, White and Lousy. Their 17 games on TSN topped all with a 1 million average
The writer is right in a way, even if he's going about it in the most obnoxious manner. I think he, like many other non-Leaf fans are upset that no matter how poorly we perform, we will still be the most important franchise in Canada. We can't help being the centre of attention, and we shouldn't apologize for it.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:26 AM
The Messenger

As usual they point a finger at MLSE when failing to realize that all merchandizing revenue goes to the NHL for equal distribution not the individual teams. i.e Toronto benefits from sales of Crosby jerseys/sweaters.

In general most Toronto sports writers are very weak at 1) common sense and 2) facts.

As the poster above says it is much easier to be critical and second guess than deal with reality. It is the same reason comedians pick constantly on politicians, they are easy targets.

Oh how I long for the good old days when we had icons like Milt Dunnell, Trent Frayne, Red Burnett, Scott Young (father of Neil) heck even Dick Beddoes as journalists.

Todays crop does not do their homework, and always take the easy route. (negative no matter what the truth is)

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:31 AM
PhilTheThrillKessel

Nothing is wrong, this is how the TO media always is They are *****, but atleast they are consistent lol

PhilTheThrillKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:32 AM
mooseOAK*

I'm sure that sales of Leafs sweaters and other related paraphernalia is way down these days .

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:36 AM
HariKari

only in Toronto can you be chastised for not being a bandwagoner.

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:41 AM
robr00

I'm a Leaf fan but I'm also a realist.

29th in the league, 5 straight years without the playoffs, and now the longest running NHL team that hasn't won a championship. The Leafs are a losing team, and have been for a long while.

While there are positives (like emerging young players) that can be taken from the current direction of the team, the aura surrounding the Leafs is generally negative.

Admitting you're overwhelming disappointment with the on-ice results of a terrible team does not make you any less of a fan.

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Daisy Joy
Jerry is Gone :(

I don't think [and forgive me for putting words in your mouth if I am wrong], if it's so much being a Leaf Fan.. but being more....forgiving isn't the word I want. I'm sure it will come to me.

Yes, there is being the 2nd worst in the league: crack your joke here, but it seems to of late this charge to debase the franchise at every go. I'm sorry when a team wins the Stanley Cup, your headline the next day shouldn't be: LEAFS ARE NHL'S BIGGEST LOSERS NOW or some crap like that.

How many other teams have changed their Jerseys in the past 4 or so seasons without it being mentioned yet the Leafs want to change theirs and "to appease the beancounters," because I'm certain that is it.

Every move that is made is criticized and demeaned in the worst way and is harped on over, and over and over again.. And even if we start winning and make the playoffs, it won't because of "shrewd moves by Burkie, or hard work from the team, or Led by the captain", it will be seen as a fluke. When we win the cup, it won't be a "FINALLY!" or "Congrats!" it will also be seen as an tear in the space continuum, and it will be like 43+ years until the next one.

And if we DIDN'T support the team we'd be painted with the same brush as all those teams in the US and western Canada who only decide to follow the team when they are winning. I'm sorry that's EASY to do. It's another thing entirely to follow [loyally, without the stupid bags over your head], your team when they are mired in losing. Where are those articles? Where's the kudos for the fans who without US, the "beancounters" at MLSE wouldn't be able to help out the teams that couldn't afford to be in the NHL [ahh got to love revenue sharing at its finest!]. They ain't there are they.

Daisy Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:57 AM
dirk41

I don't know why you're being defensive. As Seinfeld said, "When it comes down to it, we're just cheering for laundry."

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:04 AM
HariKari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
I don't know why you're being defensive. As Seinfeld said, "When it comes down to it, we're just cheering for laundry."
because they aren't bashing the team itself, they're bashing the fans?

HariKari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:11 AM
EternallyLeafs
doris

I agree with everything you said. No matter how bad they are, they will always be my team.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nic View Post
This thread isn't about today's lead article in the Sun's Sports section, which was mainly about Dion Phaneuf's impending captaincy. I decided to create this thread when I read the following paragraph...

"To appease the beancounters at MLSE, Monday’s event will feature a couple other notable developments. First, the team will unveil a re-tooled jersey which, if nothing else, will increase sales from the sucker populace that can’t get enough of a losing team."

I know that there have been many hundreds of threads written about the overwhelmingly negative attitudes of the writers and commentators in this town regarding the Maple Leafs. To be fair, I have never considered the writer of today's article (Rob Longley) to be anywhere near the worst of these offenders.

Something about the statement quoted above just made something snap in my mind. It pre-supposes that fans of any particular team are making a conscious decision to support it - a decision that should be made and re-made on a constant basis depending upon the playing success of the team. I think that this type of thinking is preposterous. You are a fan of the Maple Leafs (or any team for that matter) because of where you were born, where you live, who's games you went to with your father when you were a kid, who's results you lived and died with along with your friends when you were growing up. The team doesn't earn the right to be in your heart, it just is.

God knows how I hated the kids in school who liked the Bruins, Habs, Flyers, Oilers or whomever happened to be dominant at any particular time. That's not being a true fan in my mind... that's being bandwagoneer. Hell - there are soccer clubs in England that haven't won anything in over a hundred years who still have thousands of rabid supporters behind them. Why? Simply because the team represents their hometown and they have pride in the place that they're from.

Do I wish that the Leafs were getting better results on the ice in recent years? Damn straight I do. Do I hope that a recovery starts to happen in 2010/2011? Absolutely. Will I stop being a fan if this doesn't happen? That's just impossible. Will I be buying one of the nice new jerseys when they come out? Probably not... but I will quite likely buy one for my daughter. I would be ashamed if she ever wanted to own the sweater of any other hockey club. This is Toronto... and we're Leafs fans here. Doesn't matter whether or not the team wins or it loses. They're our team and we support them. We are happy when they're good... and we retain hope for better days ahead when they're not.

Somebody needs to explain the concept of being a fan to all of the jackals in the local media who act as though Leafs fans are suckers or morons simply because they retain their affection for the team no matter what happens. I say that... for anyone that has even an ounce of integrity... this is just the way that it has to be. You don't stop loving your parents, your brothers and sisters, your kids, your friends, your hometown, your country or anything else that really means something to you. You don't stop loving your hockey team either.
What a great post. Even aside from the whole media angle, I think you really summed up what it means to be a fan. Well done.

Part of being a fan is being a consumer, but the media doesn't seem to realize that's only a very small part of it. For true fans, the relationship with the team is more like a family relationship. It's unconditional love. It's not like sending back a steak at a restaurant because they overcooked it.

And for the record, I'm no less likely to wear my Leafs jersey these days than I was 10 years ago when they were winning. And I don't feel like a sucker or a loser for that.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:16 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
because they aren't bashing the team itself, they're bashing the fans?
I'm well aware of that, and it doesn't bother me. I expect to be bashed for cheering for laundry worn by players who don't win. Being a fan is illogical (fan is short for fanatical). We're cheering for millionaire mercenaries playing for a team who hasn't won anything in 43 years, a team that simply exists to enrich a teacher's union.

Thus, when the media tells me that I'm a sucker, I respond with "I already know and I don't care."

Old
06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Blindfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr00 View Post

29th in the league, 5 straight years without the playoffs, and now the longest running NHL team that hasn't won a championship. The Leafs are a losing team, and have been for a long while.

While there are positives (like emerging young players) that can be taken from the current direction of the team, the aura surrounding the Leafs is generally negative.

Admitting you're overwhelming disappointment with the on-ice results of a terrible team does not make you any less of a fan.
That isnt the argument though.. We all are disappointed, the writer is saying we are basically sheep because even though we continue to fail we still support our team.

Blindfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:27 AM
VO5

I love being a Leaf fan. Keep your heads up we are going to pull out of this together...

I find in today's world all we here about is the Negative's, Why everything sucks, or why we should be unhappy etc...

Don't dwell on the past, if you choose to then consider the entire past and not just 43 years.

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr00 View Post

I agree fully ..

When a Parent criticizes or punishes its own Child for something they did wrong, that doesn't mean they love them any less. In fact its done in love to encourage better results in the future, from lessoned learned.

When a diehard realist Leaf fan criticizes his own team, because the results in the Standings and on the ice support their opinion, the same principle as a Parent and Child apply.

If a Parent willing accepted everything their Child did regardless of the results good or bad, it wouldn't be considered good Parenting by most. Likewise a loyal Leafs Fan shouldn't condone everything their favourite Sports team that they love does, by following that same Philosophy.

Here clearly, changing the Jersey regularly is done to generate more Revenue, its not done to improve the Teams chances of winning the Stanley Cup. It was called out for what it was by this writer.

Last edited by Mess: 06-12-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Andrew Mack

I can only hope the crippling cutbacks and brutal economic situation leads to massive job cuts at the Sun's sports staff. I don't think I even need to make an argument to intelligently attack that newspaper anymore. They are complete hacks with no one saving grace.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymack1986 View Post
I can only hope the crippling cutbacks and brutal economic situation leads to massive job cuts at the Sun's sports staff.
Because one writer points out the the obvious (cynical sports franchises--even ones that finish 29th--change their uniforms needlessly simply to increase profits and their fans don't mind), you're hoping for massive job cuts?

Old
06-12-2010, 11:45 AM
The Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I agree fully ..

When a Parent criticizes or punishes its own Child for something they did wrong, that doesn't mean they love them any less. In fact its done in love to encourage better results in the future, from lessoned learned.

When a diehard realist Leaf fan criticizes his own team, because the results in the Standings and on the ice support their opinion, the same principle as a Parent and Child apply.

If a Parent willing accepting everything their Child did regardless of the results good or bad, it wouldn't be considered good Parenting. Likewise a loyal Leafs Fan shouldn't condone everything their favourite Sports team that they love does, by following that same Philosophy.

Here clearly, changing the Jersey regularly is done to generate more Revenue, its not done to improve the Teams chances of winning the Stanley Cup. It was called out for what it was by this writer.
Sorry... but the purpose of this thread was something else entirely. I don't mind in the slightest if a real Leafs fan wishes to criticize the team for not being very succcessful lately. That's fair game as far as I'm concerned. What I don't appreciate is an outsider criticizing the team's fans for remaining loyal through it all. That, I feel, is absurd. You're either a fan or you're not. You can be a happy fan or an unhappy one... you're a fan all the same... and unlikely to pull on another team's uni just because they're better than we are at the moment.

One more thing... as someone correctly pointed out above, jersey revenues are shared equally by all of the NHL member clubs. The revenues from the new Leafs sweater will not be going directly to MLS&E. The reason to get excited about a new sweater being unveiled on Monday is that the current one is lousy... perhaps one of the worst in the league. It has properly been referred to as a "t-shirt" from day one.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Because one writer points out the the obvious (cynical sports franchises--even ones that finish 29th--change their uniforms needlessly simply to increase profits and their fans don't mind), you're hoping for massive job cuts?
If only this was a single transgression.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:49 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Please read post # 5, the author clearly has no clue as to what he is talking about.

Old
06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Please read post # 5, the author clearly has no clue as to what he is talking about.
The Leafs do get extra money for sales of its merchandise at its own retail outlets.

The fact that the merchandising revenue goes to the NHL for equal distribution does not change the cynical nature of the move. All the teams do it to boost league revenue, so they all benefit--you change your jersey, we'll change ours (you scratch my black, I'll scratch yours).

Old
06-12-2010, 12:08 PM
The Messenger

Quote:
The Leafs do get extra money for sales of its merchandise at its own retail outlets.

The fact that the merchandising revenue goes to the NHL for equal distribution does not change the cynical nature of the move. All the teams do it to boost league revenue, so they all benefit--you change your jersey, we'll change ours (you scratch my black, I'll scratch yours).

Nice to know you know the rules better than the author, who obvioulsy doesn't.