HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pathetic!!!

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Los Tiburones

vCash: 500
No doubt the Sharks could drop down as well. But, at least their seeding and record supported their doing well. I think that serves as a better indicator of making the playoffs next year. Calgary using the same indicator should drop. Calgary will likely lose the cup to the better team (like other surprise teams before it) and then miss the playoffs or barely squeak in next year. That's the trend for the past decade, and I don't see why that won't continue. Of course, this all assumes that there will be a season next year.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Tragedy
Nothing teams do NOT go to the Stanley Cup Finals...bottomline.
Lets clarify what I mean by nothing team. The Flames on paper are a team with very little offensive talent. Donovan, Nieminen etc have played many years in the league and never done anything offensively. Most of the Flames are producing more in this playoff than they have in their entire pro career.
In the current NHL teams with little offensive ability, determination, size and a defensive scheme are as likely to win the Cup as not (see New Jersey).
Especially if they are adept at interference and holding and getting away with it.
The Flames don't do this to excess but they are adept at the pick.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:48 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
Donovan, Nieminen etc have played many years in the league and never done anything offensively.
...Ekman...Korky...Primeau....McCauley....Cheech. 5 of our forwards had their best year ever, and, with the exception of Cheech, couldn't have predicted ANY of them any more than you could have Donovan or Ville.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
I think the problem here is that Cy wears teal-coloured glasses, just as I have the teal filter on my glasses. (Teal? What's that?) Put the two of us together and you'll probably get somewhere near what's right (and really, really confused).

~Crazed.

Old
05-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Kevin Wey

I did guess all except Primeau, and he hinted at his regular season after being acquired last year. He regressed to the old Primeau in the playoffs though. The Sharks WERE predictable. The reason they finished first in the Pacific is because Dallas underacheived and Los Angeles had mighty injury problems. Things would have been different and San Jose would have made the playoffs 7th or 8th. I figured 8th to begin the season. Rarely does most of your roster play up to their potential and San Jose had few injury problems prior to the Sturm injury.

All of that said, as shown in other threads, I think the Sharks need to make some changes, notably Zhamnov. I think San Jose has the defensemen it needs next year already, same for goaltending, although both need resigning.

I really like Lepisto, my pick for first round, but my preference for the second round is Alexandrov, who addresses San Jose's need for some additional blue-chip offensive talent. Alexandrov's talent is considerable and his move from Lokomotiv to Novokuznetsk has been helpful. (Makes him a teammate of Angel Nikolov too) No place better to look for high-end offensive talent than Russia. (And the former Soviet satellites, whose top prospects generally go play in Russia.) I wouldn't expect Alexandrov to challenge for a spot in San Jose in 2004-05, but I wouldn't count him out in 2005-06 if he continues his upward trend in the RSL. He was unreal as a 16 year for Kazakhstan. His father was the late Boris Alexandrov, the bloodlines are there too.

San Jose's offense in the playoffs was inconsistent, which I think is the lasting contribution of the 2004 Playoffs: San Jose realizing they need to retool things at forward a bit.

Can't wait for the draft, expect me to keep mentioning Lepisto and Alexandrov. (And I wouldn't be upset if San Jose took Alexandrov late in the first round either.)

Old
05-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Calgary won this series because they were the better team. You discard the career stats and the regular season stats come playoff time. Calgary just had more heart, more drive, and came through when they needed to. Was Kipper good? You're damn right he was. But, Calgary won this series because the veterans (Gelinas, Conroy) and the youth (Regehr, Leopold) all came through to play together as a team. It's just that simple. Calgary's big gun, Iginla, showed up. San Jose's big gun, Marleau, did not. Calgary has been playing six defensemen all postseason, San Jose has focused on four. Calgary has something not measured on paper, and that's heart. With the exception of Cheechoo and Hannan, I didn't see a whole lot of heart or character from the Sharks in this series. The top four defensemen were spent. The playoffs are survival of the fittest, and San Jose didn't survive. They'll be back next year.

Old
05-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
...Ekman...Korky...Primeau....McCauley....Cheech. 5 of our forwards had their best year ever, and, with the exception of Cheech, couldn't have predicted ANY of them any more than you could have Donovan or Ville.

I am talking about players who have been given chances in the NHL and done nothing offensively for 8-10 years and had by far their best year.
McCauley hasn't been around that long and didn't have his best year - playoff wise.
He scored 15 points in 20 games for the Leafs.
Cheechoo has only been in the league 2 years and has always had the talent to be a goal scorer - as hockeycrazed has been saying for a long time. He only needed to work on skating which he did.
Korolyuk was never given a chance to play regularly in the NHL - probably his own fault. He was a big scorer in the Russian League though.
Ekman had a big year in the regular season but did nothing in the playoffs.
Primeau fits the bill in the regular season but did nothing in the playoffs

Old
05-23-2004, 01:42 AM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
I just took a look at the plus/minus numbers and boy did Primeau and Stuart stink! Considering Hannan/Rathje's performance, and how Stuart is supposed to be our most skilled O minded D of our top 4, he really has no excuse for being a -5. I don't even know what happened with Primeau, considering how solid his brother was for Philly.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:54 AM
Kevin Wey

Stuart: Injury thread. No wonder his skating looked bad. I thought maybe it was just me. I'm glad there's a rhyme and reason to it, although the consistency of the rhyme and reason is unnerving for Stuart's future.

Wayne Primeau: Is no Keith Primeau. Hopefully Wayne regains 03-04 regular season form. He really exceeded my expectations after acquired up until the playoffs. I hope the playoffs were the fluke, not vice versa. (Not tragic if so, because San Jose has prospects, but...)

Closed Thread