HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Niittymaki

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Niittymaki

Hi, I was wondering what you guys thought of how Niitty played last season? Looking at statistics I see he did decently, but that doesn't tell me a whole lot. Was he pretty consistent throughout the season, particularly after taking over for Smith?

Do you think the team would be looking to re-sign him?

Old
06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
If it wasn't for him we never would've been even close to #8. He was the lone bright star on a team with half-assed defensive efforts at best. He was streaky sometimes (overplayed maybe?) but most of the time he was hung out to dry and still managed to steal a couple of games for us.

I'd love to see him back in a Lightning jersey next season but I guess it's save to say he won't return if we can't get rid of Smith. Pretty sure there will be a new goalie, probably a proven #1, coming during the offseason for at least 1-2 years until Tokarski is ready. Smith is under contract another year so he would be the obvious choice for the backup / 1b job if he can't be moved.

Old
06-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Yep, I'd like to have him back, but I don't think it happens. He can't do the full time starter role, and he probably will be (and should be) asking for a raise and longer term contract than what TB is likely to give him. I'd bring him back just for playing the SE teams, it's become almost a joke how good he is against this division.

Old
06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

He was good, if not for him we would have been #2 overall in the draft

Old
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Thanks for the responses. I was wondering because I was thinking of Niitty as a possible starter for the Flyers next season, though I'm not sure whether he would want to come back, or if the Flyers would want him back.

Old
06-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

He was awesome in the first half of the season and fizzled out after the Olympics. Then again, our whole team did pretty much.

Old
06-13-2010, 10:43 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

He played like a starting netminder the whole season, got hung out a lot by a team dragging ass post olympics and giving up 45+ shot efforts.

Old
06-13-2010, 05:12 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was wondering because I was thinking of Niitty as a possible starter for the Flyers next season, though I'm not sure whether he would want to come back, or if the Flyers would want him back.
He was good for the most part, but do you really think he'd be an improvement over Leighton & Boucher?

Old
06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
He was good for the most part, but do you really think he'd be an improvement over Leighton & Boucher?
Are you kidding? Nitty looks like a ****ing allstar compared to them. Leighton and Boucher are **** that played behind a stingy defense, although I guess you could make an argument for Boucher.

I still can't understand for the life of me why people are still so sold on those two, when they crumbled under pressure, and what happens when Pronger goes?

Hes an upgrade. He is a significant upgrade.

Old
06-13-2010, 07:18 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Are you kidding? Nitty looks like a ****ing allstar compared to them. Leighton and Boucher are **** that played behind a stingy defense, although I guess you could make an argument for Boucher.

I still can't understand for the life of me why people are still so sold on those two, when they crumbled under pressure, and what happens when Pronger goes?

Hes an upgrade. He is a significant upgrade.
Geez....don't tell them that!!

You have to say....Speaking as a Lightning fan, he sucked. Big time. Worst goalie in the league. Blind as a bat. Wouldn't make it in the ECHL...not worth the money....crap like that....

Old
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
TBLHoser

Well, Flyers just signed Backlund to a 2-year extension to backup Boucher next year per TSN.....

Old
06-13-2010, 07:27 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'd go as far as saying I feel bad for the guy... he came here for peanuts and was thrown under the ****ing bus and STILL played like a legit starter and went through struggles that any other starter went through this past year, a few soft goals here and there, and he had it hard compared to other guys who a better defense in front of them but had similar stats... yet people still call him a backup.

Niitty - 21-18-5, 2.87GAA .909SV%, 1 shutout, 49 games, 1388 shots
Niemi - 26-7-4, 2.25GAA .912SV%, 7 shutouts, 39 games, 936 shots

Old
06-13-2010, 07:30 PM
gobolt7

The 6 wins against Atlanta make him worth his asking price, imo.

Old
06-13-2010, 07:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
The 6 wins against Atlanta make him worth his asking price, imo.
**** yeah.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:08 PM
VoteNOB

I'm hoping that the Lightning find a way to sign him. He's nails against the other teams in our Division , why take a chance on giving those points away when you don't have to.

Old
06-20-2010, 01:01 AM
SgtJoseph

I think Nitti is one of the more under rated net minders in the NHL.Never quite understood the knock on him that he could not be a #1 goalie on a team.The lightening season would have been ALOT worse without Nitti.I am a Flyers fan that now lives in Destin Fla and i get to watch the Lightening on T.V alot,During this season i was hoping Nitti would of been traded back to Philly because he was playing excellent with a horrendous defense in front of him.

Old
06-20-2010, 10:23 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I think Nitti is one of the more under rated net minders in the NHL.Never quite understood the knock on him that he could not be a #1 goalie on a team.The lightening season would have been ALOT worse without Nitti.I am a Flyers fan that now lives in Destin Fla and i get to watch the Lightening on T.V alot,During this season i was hoping Nitti would of been traded back to Philly because he was playing excellent with a horrendous defense in front of him.
Anytime a goaltender starts having hip problems, most people are all over him.

Old
06-20-2010, 08:04 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Exactly. Especially a butterfly

Old
06-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear the Flash

vCash: 3073
I would like to see him back. Personally I have more faith in him then Smith. And the SE dominance van not be overlooked as an intangible.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:09 AM
WolfHound

Nitty is so much better than Smith. Keep Nitty and get another goalie just in case if his play gets sloppy.

Old
06-21-2010, 12:27 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
I don't think it would be a night and day difference but I think it would be a decent improvement. The only thing is if we got him, I think it would be more of a goalie tandem of 1a and 1b. I hope that would be the case as I'm a little worried about his hips, but since he had surgery he seemed to handle 09-10 well. In addition signing Niitty for relatively cheap would potentially allow the team to keep Pronger, Timonen (I don't see those two being traded) Coburn, Hamhuis, and Carle on the team for at least the coming season.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:19 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I don't think it would be a night and day difference but I think it would be a decent improvement. The only thing is if we got him, I think it would be more of a goalie tandem of 1a and 1b. I hope that would be the case as I'm a little worried about his hips, but since he had surgery he seemed to handle 09-10 well. In addition signing Niitty for relatively cheap would potentially allow the team to keep Pronger, Timonen (I don't see those two being traded) Coburn, Hamhuis, and Carle on the team for at least the coming season.
His time off getting fixed up made all the difference in the world. I'd go as far as saying it'd be night and day if you were to swap Niitty and 49, at least Nitty has a nasty glove and great side to side movement again, he just needs a defense that isn't **** and can clear rebounds, because Tampa really **** the bed there last year.

I stand by Leighton being terrible, as much as some don't like to hear it. He just lets in the most crippling goals.

Old
06-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I don't see why anyone gets there panties in a bunch when someone disses Leighton. He was a waiver claim for a reason.

Old
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
BRichards19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
He was a waiver claim for a reason.
Bingo. All that needs to be said there. I still cringe watching him attempt to make a save on the game 6 OT Stanley Cup goal. Yikes.

The more I give it thought, the more I am all-for signing Niitty to an extension. This guy just didn't play well last year, he played out-of-his-mind crazy good- and with a lame defense in front of him to boot! Let's not forget that.

Give Niitty the reigns.

Closed Thread