HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aki Berg?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 02:37 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Aki Berg?

Hey all. I am wondering if we do move Smith this summer whether we should make a play for Aki Berg. TO seems less then happy with him and we could likely get him for cheap. He doesn't cost much salary-wise and has all the tools to be a great d-man who just hasn't panned out yet.

Given the Oilers track record of bringing D-men back from the end of nowhere recently (Smith, Staois, Cross, Ulanov) what would you guys think of picking him up?

I wouldn't be surprised if Lowe and MacT could get him a second chance at a career.

Thoughts?

Old
05-18-2004, 02:39 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Hey all. I am wondering if we do move Smith this summer whether we should make a play for Aki Berg. TO seems less then happy with him and we could likely get him for cheap. He doesn't cost much salary-wise and has all the tools to be a great d-man who just hasn't panned out yet.

Given the Oilers track record of bringing D-men back from the end of nowhere recently (Smith, Staois, Cross, Ulanov) what would you guys think of picking him up?

I wouldn't be surprised if Lowe and MacT could get him a second chance at a career.

Thoughts?
I don't know, Berg really isn't of interest. Sure there's a chance he could bounce back with Edmonton, but personal opinion say's he's not good enough to crack our top 6 IMO.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
The Oilers can mine gold from any castaway 5th or 6th D man for some reason. I see no reason why it would be different in Berg's situation. My question is this, do we really need to replace Smith if he does leave? (Bad decision too IMO) By my count the Oilers have too many D men at the moment. I'm certain that Ferguson wont be resigned, but maybe he will be the designated pressbox guy too!?!

Old
05-18-2004, 11:48 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think if you are dealing Smith it's because you can get something you need for him, and because you feel either Lynch or Wyowitka are ready for some time...

Berg does nothing but confuse things.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think if you are dealing Smith it's because you can get something you need for him, and because you feel either Lynch or Wyowitka are ready for some time...
Agreed 100%. But wouldn't that be better served by shipping out Cross and Fergie and then bring on the kids with "kid gloves". Keep you all round best D man and let Woy and Lynch Mob learn from him. Hell, I'd rather trade Staios if push came to shove.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goil
Hell, I'd rather trade Staios if push came to shove.
I tend to agree, but Smith is more attractive trade bait than Staios, plus the contracts of the two point to Staios being shown the longer commitment by the Oilers.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yup, Smith, I'm sure, won't be traded (for anything less then a GREAT return) unless it's because of the contract situation - I could see him trying to get 3.25 or something stupid like that - and I think we all agree we couldn't have a guy like him at a price like that. Remember, we're going to have to buck up a bit to get Brewer signed up (hopefully long term.... something like 4 ears for 12 million - 3mil/year )

Old
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goil
Agreed 100%. But wouldn't that be better served by shipping out Cross and Fergie and then bring on the kids with "kid gloves". Keep you all round best D man and let Woy and Lynch Mob learn from him. Hell, I'd rather trade Staios if push came to shove.
That's quite true... which is why I said you only deal him if you are getting something you need, and making room for Lynch/Wyo.

If Lynch and Wyowitka are building off last year and have a good start, guys like Cross and Ulanov become expendable (I don't see Fergie being signed)... you can get rid of them for mid-late picks or whatever...

However, if there is something attractive out there (say Smith for a scoring winger, or a goaltender if this combo doesn't work), then you get the best value you can to fill your needs. If you feel you don't need anything at that point in time, or Smith can't get you what you need, then you say good bye to some of your fringe guys.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Pulfy14

u can have Berg

Old
05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Digger12

Quote:
If Lynch and Wyowitka are building off last year and have a good start, guys like Cross and Ulanov become expendable (I don't see Fergie being signed)... you can get rid of them for mid-late picks or whatever...
Quick question for ya, since you seemed to watch a lot of both Lynch and Woy...

Do you think the Oilers might consider bringing them up as a matched set? KP seemed to infer in a previous GuyF article that the two of them seem to work better together than apart.

I know it's usually death to have two rookie dmen together as a pairing, but I wonder if these guys could make it work? From what little I've seen of them they work extremely well together.

Shred away. You know you want to.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:38 PM
dawgbone

At first I wouldn't pair them together, just simply because both are rookies... if one guy had a season under his belt already, I'd put more thought into it, but as of right now it's a quick no.

That being said, I could definitely see them playing as a pair in the next couple of years... but let them get experience in the NHL playing with the vets first, then pair them off with each other later.

I 4 years, I could easily see these pairings:

Semenov-Brewer
Wyowitka-Lynch
Greene-Bergeron

There's a lot to be excited about, and from what I have seen if Semenov and Bergeron can learn from their minor setbacks, and Greene is anywhere close to the defenceman that we are hearing, it's a pretty formidable defence... with Brewer being the old man of the group.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Semenov-Brewer
Wyowitka-Lynch
Greene-Bergeron

Now if they can only live up to the potential...that would be one sick top 6.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:08 PM
hunter orange

Dawgbone:

Love those pairings...but if you're looking long-term, I'd put Gilbert in there instead of Bergeron.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
Dawgbone:

Love those pairings...but if you're looking long-term, I'd put Gilbert in there instead of Bergeron.
He said 4 years, not long term. I think we'll probably have one more veteran in there however. Probably with Green still earning his stay in the AHL.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:32 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
Dawgbone:

Well, I know nothing about Gilbert, and when Colorado gives up a guy like that for a struggling backup goaltender and a 6th round pick, I doubt Gilbert is going to be in the NHL.

Bergeron at this point has at least shown he is an NHL player, Lynch and Wyo were very good in the AHL from what I saw, and Greene is being pegged as a better Jason Smith, and even if all he is is a poor mans jason smith, it's still good.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
He said 4 years, not long term. I think we'll probably have one more veteran in there however. Probably with Green still earning his stay in the AHL.
Considering that Greene's size & physical play is already nhl calibre and his defensive ability was high enough to earn him a spot at the u-20 wjc's I can't imagine him still earning his stay in the ah 4 years from now. If he's not a full-time nhl'er by 2005/'06 I've missed my guess.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Considering that Greene's size & physical play is already nhl calibre and his defensive ability was high enough to earn him a spot at the u-20 wjc's I can't imagine him still earning his stay in the ah 4 years from now. If he's not a full-time nhl'er by 2005/'06 I've missed my guess.
I don't know. I don't think it would hurt him to stay in the 'A' for an extra year or two, to make sure he's totally ready. We'll have a pretty young defense as it is, if that's how things pan out. It would be nice to have a 2nd veteran there with Brewer.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

If signed, and if Smith is traded, he'll get a LONG LONG look at camp - although I still think he'd go to the AHL because to me Ulanov is every bit as good as Jason Smith - just for how many games is the question mark with Ulanov - and if he is, say, only a 65 game/year guy now, that's fine - we've got LOTS of guys ready to get in some games so there would be no trouble finding him rest!

Old
05-18-2004, 11:54 PM
future consideration

No offense, but are you kidding me? Ulanov as good as Smith?

Sorry but your wrong. Ulanov cannot play the 20+ mins a night for a whole season. Nor can he handle top pairing duties. Ulanov was nice this year cause he only played a third of the year on the 2nd pairing or 3rd.

If you wanna make a case for trading Smith fine (I personally wouldn't) but don't try to tell me Ulanov or even Statios for that matter can easily replace him cause they can't. Ulanov just isn't that good and Staios proved he can't handle those mins for a whole year. Our only hope would be that Semenov elevated his game and play like he did when his rookie year.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:12 AM
zamboni

What good would Aki Berg do here? We don't need another 5th/6th d-man, especially if Smith gets dealt.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:14 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
No offense, but are you kidding me? Ulanov as good as Smith?

Sorry but your wrong. Ulanov cannot play the 20+ mins a night for a whole season. Nor can he handle top pairing duties. Ulanov was nice this year cause he only played a third of the year on the 2nd pairing or 3rd.

If you wanna make a case for trading Smith fine (I personally wouldn't) but don't try to tell me Ulanov or even Statios for that matter can easily replace him cause they can't. Ulanov just isn't that good and Staios proved he can't handle those mins for a whole year. Our only hope would be that Semenov elevated his game and play like he did when his rookie year.
ok, yes -perhaps I'm over-stating Ulanov a bit -but Ulanov played over half the season, not a third -and he was the Oilers best blueliner in the last half along with Brewer -and for what he did to Semenov and Bergerons game -he is damn close to helping as much as Smith did last year. I will say this -I'm going to be TERRIBLY disapointed if Ulanov isn't brought back next year and one of Cross or Ferguson is!

Old
05-19-2004, 02:19 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
ok, yes -perhaps I'm over-stating Ulanov a bit -but Ulanov played over half the season, not a third -and he was the Oilers best blueliner in the last half along with Brewer -and for what he did to Semenov and Bergerons game -he is damn close to helping as much as Smith did last year. I will say this -I'm going to be TERRIBLY disapointed if Ulanov isn't brought back next year and one of Cross or Ferguson is!
Ules will be brought back. Lowe got him to sign a team option for 750 K last year for this year. We'll have him all year YAY!!! He was a monster for us the last half of the year. I know people will laugh at this but he put up Norris numbers and I am serious about that. Check it for yourself if you don't believe.

Oh and No love for Berg hey? I suggested him not as a 5 or 6 guy. I think he still has tremendous potential and could be a top pairing guy for us if Lowe and MacT can do the same for him that they did for Ules, Staois, Cross and Smith.

Old
05-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Elvis Lives

Aki Berg

Berg is awful. Period.

Old
05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
If Smith can't be re-signed, I'd rather go after some free agents like Sean Hill, Ken Klee, Boris Mironov or even Chelios (at a greatly reduced salary, of course) than trade for a guy like Berg. It's not very likely we'll be signing any free agents, but it seems just as unlikely for Lowe to give up any kind of assets to aquire Aki Berg.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Allan

I'd rather just keep Ferguson until some prospects are ready - there are quite a few who are close to being able to do what Berg does now. At 27, he's not exactly a prospect any more. I worry about the offensive potential of a player who only puts up 11 points in 78 games at 27, with 7 years experience.

Closed Thread