HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why are the Bolts so hesistant in trading Vinny?

Old
06-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Why are the Bolts so hesistant in trading Vinny?

You would think with Stamkos breaking out and hes now their #1 centre that they would deal Vinny for a #1 goalie? Vinny makes way too much to be their #2 centre. Now that Stevie Y is the GM I think LeCavalier days are numbered.

Vinny is their most tradable asset.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
I think if somebody was willing to take the contract and give something in return, the Bolts wouldn't hesitate at all.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:44 PM
WoolyWhatsIt

No clue what it would take, but couldnt an oilers and Lightning be decent trading partners?

Souray 5.4 Mil
JDD about 1 Mil
Nilsson 2.5 Mil

FOR

Vinny Lecalvalier 7.7 Mil for a LONG TIME

Cap Hits are similar...

Would Tampa take this to unload the lengthy Vinny Salary? would the Oilers take this to finally land a true number 1 center to play with Hemsky and Hall? Would it take more? Just tossing around an idea here

WoolyWhatsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
THat trade doesn't help Tampa Bay.

Sure you unload salary, but they are giving away a pretty capable player.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
WoolyWhatsIt

Souray is more than a capable player....a 20 plus goal Dman with a ROCKET is nothing to sneeze at. and JDD has potential. it was just a thought.

WoolyWhatsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
You would think with Stamkos breaking out and hes now their #1 centre that they would deal Vinny for a #1 goalie? Vinny makes way too much to be their #2 centre. Now that Stevie Y is the GM I think LeCavalier days are numbered.

You are aware off all that Vinny has done for Tampa Bay, right?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:49 PM
North

The uproar that was caused among Tampa fans when they thought the trade was a possibility is one reason along with the fact that his contract is hideous and not many teams can take on that long a deal for that many dollars.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Montréal was more than willing last year, but Tampa wanted something like Plekanec, Gorges and either a goalie, or Subban.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I don't think having Lecavalier around will hurt Stamkos. This is just sillyness

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyWhatsIt View Post
No clue what it would take, but couldnt an oilers and Lightning be decent trading partners?

Souray 5.4 Mil
JDD about 1 Mil
Nilsson 2.5 Mil

FOR

Vinny Lecalvalier 7.7 Mil for a LONG TIME

Cap Hits are similar...

Would Tampa take this to unload the lengthy Vinny Salary? would the Oilers take this to finally land a true number 1 center to play with Hemsky and Hall? Would it take more? Just tossing around an idea here
come on even as a Oiler fan that is a joke. Tampa gets a hell of a lot more than that for vinny

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:53 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Honestly, I don't want him to go, hes my favorite player and I feel he belongs but signing that ****** contract was a bad move and if we were to trade him i'd ask for alot.

If we were to send him to Montreal, I'd like

Halak
2010 1st
Gomez

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...Den%26prmd%3Dn
Yzerman has already assured Vinny that he's part of his long-term plans. Stamkos is an emerging star, but Vinny is Tampa Bay.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Trading Vinny wouldn't be the easiest thing to do at this time and point. Let him play another season, hope he puts up some better numbers (Not that they were horrible last year), and his value will go up. Could spark some intrest from other teams.

They don't even NEED to trade him right now. He's still a good player.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
You are aware off all that Vinny has done for Tampa Bay, right?
Get all the awe and spotlight while MSL and Brad Richards were doing the heavy lifting?

He's been a non-factor for Tampa for the last 3 years. Had he not been, they wouldn't have gotten a consecutive 1st and 2nd overall and then a 6th overall this year. For him not to be overpaid he at the very least has to be a stellar 2-way forward capable of at least 80 points any given year for them. Recently he hasn't been close to that, and he will regress more over the duration of his contract.

That said, his contract makes sense to a team that doesn't have a #1 center and many big contracts to accommodate. Same way Gomez is overpaid, but not in his situation.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
In terms of salary, his contract is horrible. However, in terms of cap hit, he's well worth it in a good season. A combination of being unable to find a trading partner, along with retaining what could be a top three center combination are the reasons he hasn't been moved.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:04 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I like Vinny L and I think he will be to the Bolts what Stevie Y was to the red wings.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:07 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforunato View Post
He's been a non-factor for Tampa for the last 3 years. Had he not been, they wouldn't have gotten a consecutive 1st and 2nd overall and then a 6th overall this year.
Really? He scored 40 goals and 92 points three years ago.

I'm not going to argue he had a good season this year, but putting all the blame on a high end scoring threat for his teams misfortune is pretty inaccurate, given that this particular team finished top four in goals against in all of the three mentioned years.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Montréal was more than willing last year, but Tampa wanted something like Plekanec, Gorges and either a goalie, or Subban.
That really doesn't sound like a whole lot, to be honest, especially since I've seen many Habs fans not exactly sad to see Pleks hit free agency.

Gainey went after Gomez, that was their "big fish" acquisition it seems, so I doubt Lecavalier's on their radar right now.

06-12-2010, 10:18 PM
baydrake
gutless performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
In terms of salary, his contract is horrible. However, in terms of cap hit, he's well worth it in a good season. A combination of being unable to find a trading partner, along with retaining what could be a top three center combination are the reasons he hasn't been moved.
the salary is really what hurts his trade value. small- and mid-market teams may not be able to afford him even near the cap floor bc of the discrepancy btwn his salary and cap hit. he makes 10M/yr for the next 6 years - more than crosby and ovechkin (over that period). yikes.

vinny's a good player, though, so unless a large market team offers fair value for him, tampa can just keep him. he's not overpaid by more than the amount stamkos is underpaid

perhaps starting with 2016-2017 his salary will be ok but his cap hit will be terrible due to the sharp dropoff and odd structuring of his deal. tampa is "stuck" with him for the short term and stuck with him for the long term. 7.7+M cap hit for ages 36-40? wat.

Last edited by baydrake: 06-12-2010 at 10:23 PM.
baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Really? He scored 40 goals and 92 points three years ago.

I'm not going to argue he had a good season this year, but putting all the blame on a high end scoring threat for his teams misfortune is pretty inaccurate, given that this particular team finished top four in goals against in all of the three mentioned years.
I'm not putting all the blame on him, but he underperformed pretty significantly over the last 2 years at least. That wouldn't be a major issue IF he wasn't owed 10 million a year for the next 7 or however many years and have a 7.7 million cap hit with players like Stamkos and Hedman to resign. Even if its because of his injuries, there's no guarantee he can entirely overcome them. Contracts like his can turn from alright to uncomfortable to extremely hard to deal with (think Drury or Horcoff, though I don't think Lecavalier is gonna turn into a 50 point center anytime soon).

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
m00ks

Lol.

Vinny's a whopping -105 in total career +/-. That's insane.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

He's exactly the type of player the Leafs need at the first line position.

I'm honestly expecting a much better season from him next year. I think his shoulder should be fully healed and with a new coach, and new philosophy, it could just be the change he needs.

Even though his contract is scary, I'd still be enticed to at least inquire about what it'd take.

06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
http://translate.google.ca/translate...Den%26prmd%3Dn
Yzerman has already assured Vinny that he's part of his long-term plans. Stamkos is an emerging star, but Vinny is Tampa Bay.
Well then have fun with three 5+ million dollar forwards once Stamkos gets his raise and no legit starting goalie. Tampas been through this before and it costed them Richards whom they got spare parts for, i guess they never learned.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

He's also a hell of a player, smack dap in his prime years. He's disappointed of late, but I respectfully disagree with your opinion about his fate. Stevie Y recognizes top talent. As such, he surely looks at VL first and foremost as a superb asset to have among the Lightning's top six forwards...as opposed to rushing out to trade him.

And the Lightning's current cap situation is not in peril. Stamkos/ Lecavalier /St. Louis is a solid forward core, a unique foundation of Cup pedigree talent and youthful top-end skill around which a creative new coach and new GM can build. No need to deconstruct it prematurely, HF style.

Honestly, the question really isn't "why is the Lightning hesitant to trade him?". It's "why do some posters treat NHL players like fantasy league chits?" (Nothing personal.) Every time a top, high priced player disappoints, there is no need to over-react. Sometimes trusting in your player to return to form is a much more preferrable route...and it's one that teams often take. And frankly, modern day economic$ often dictate that approach.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-12-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:39 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

He's a good player.

I didn't know you were supposed to get rid of your good players ASAP.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote