HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECF Gm.5: Philadelphia Flyers @ Tampa Bay Lightning l Bolts 4-2 l Bolts Lead 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 09:15 PM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Out of the remaining goalies left in the playoffs, Esche is easily at the bottom of the totem pole. Without a good team his rebound control = loss. He is also terrible at long shots, and it was evident in tonights game.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Out of the remaining goalies left in the playoffs, Esche is easily at the bottom of the totem pole. Without a good team his rebound control = loss. He is also terrible at long shots, and it was evident in tonights game.
Those weren't long shots. Those were shots from *THE* prime scoring area on the ice.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:28 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
Those weren't long shots. Those were shots from *THE* prime scoring area on the ice.
1st goal = 17 feet out
2nd goal = 41 feet out
3rd goal = 46 feet out

Those aren't exactly shots in the blue paint.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Teezax

Can't blame Esche any any goal tonight, they were all quality goals, especially the Richards' ones. That being said, Philly will kill the Bolts in game 6.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
1st goal = 17 feet out
2nd goal = 41 feet out
3rd goal = 46 feet out

Those aren't exactly shots in the blue paint.
Uh... yeah. That's a great place to shoot, dude. Particularlly when you are in the exact center of the slot. On that last goal, Richard had both corners to shoot at. There is simply nothing any goalie could've done there on those last two shots. The shots were perfectly placed and he could not cover one side without exposing another.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Hoek

Even though I've been putting question marks on Esche, don't blame him for this one. Perfect shots with all the time in the world and a little bloopy rebound is all that got by him and he made plenty of other saves (particularly in the first) to keep the Flyers in it.

That said, HOW ABOUT THE LEGEND OF BRAD RICHARDS, BILL CLEMENT? Two absolutely GORGEOUS powerplay goals, one his FIFTH gamewinning goal of the playoffs and EIGHTH of the postseason. The guy is a point per gamer this playoffs. What a huge turnaround from last year for this kid. He definitely belongs on Team Canada and should do his country proud.

Great game. Philly didn't give up and almost put egg on our faces by turning the momentum around while the crowd was still chanting "KHA-BI!" Now let's see we can put two wins together. This really is a seesaw series. It's scary.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:50 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
No he hasn't. Philly as a team outplayed the other teams. Esche did not stand on his head and win those games to get Philly to where they are now.
did you watch any of the games??

he didn't win the jersey series on his own, but came close...some huge saves in the big games vs. toronto, his first and only bad game came in game 3 of this series.

Tonight wasn't his fault, the hitchcock strategy of giving brad richards plenty of room to shoot at esche worked to perfection, you can't blame esche for that.

Old
05-18-2004, 09:56 PM
VinnyVinnyVici

Send a message via ICQ to VinnyVinnyVici
Quote:
Philly can bring their "A" game all they want but no matter what they still have a "B" goalie.
What game were you watching??? If it weren't for Esche, the Bolts would have been up 3 or 4 to 0 in the first period. Esche kept them in the game with his early saves; the way the rest of the Flyers were playing, it should have been a blowout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
That said, HOW ABOUT THE LEGEND OF BRAD RICHARDS, BILL CLEMENT? Two absolutely GORGEOUS powerplay goals, one his FIFTH gamewinning goal of the playoffs and EIGHTH of the postseason.
Yeah, it was interesting to see the total LACK of press that ol' Clemmy gave Richards, even though he's scored more goals, more game-winning goals, and has had more points in the playoffs than that "CERTAIN Conn Smythe candidate" Keith Primeau. But I'm expecting that the talking heads at ESPN will CONTINUE to ignore the Bolts and instead harp on what the Flyers did wrong tonight and what they have to do to come back and win the series.

Quote:
This really is a seesaw series. It's scary.
I still think that this series is destined to go seven - although it would really be sweet if another Tampa team dashed Philadelphia's chances to go to a championship in their own crib.

-----
GO BOLTS!!
Bulin Wall

MISSION XVI METER: |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | | | | |

Old
05-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

The guy deserves alot of credit for them still being in the playoffs. Say what you will about Robert Esche and his horrid rebound control, but he is playing the best Hockey of his career. Is he the 4th best of the goalies left in the playoffs? Perhaps, but to say he is the teams weak spot shows ignorance of the actual truth.

Last edited by barrytrotzsneck: 05-18-2004 at 10:17 PM. Reason: deleted post quote removed
Old
05-18-2004, 10:11 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
Uh... yeah. That's a great place to shoot, dude. Particularlly when you are in the exact center of the slot. On that last goal, Richard had both corners to shoot at. There is simply nothing any goalie could've done there on those last two shots. The shots were perfectly placed and he could not cover one side without exposing another.
No goal = impossible to save. If Esche was out more in the crease to chellenge the open net would have been alot less open.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:13 PM
HuskyFlames

Esche made some good saves BUT all goalies are capable of good saves. The difference was that Philly's PK AND like peopel say on your PK your best player has to be your goalie and he wasn't on 3 goals. They were all 1 on 1 shots and he was beat.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:19 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
I thought Esche was great in the first. What'd he have, 17 saves? Some of them were dandies.

Fun game to watch. Lots of wide open, end-to-end action. Sure beats the heck out of trap hockey.

Richards needs a pimp. This kid would be a superstar in a big market. As is, he's virtually ignored outside of Tampa. Both those shots were sweeeeet. I thought he was going to get the hatter on that later PP when Vinny found him for the one-timer in the right circle. Another nice save by Esche. You don't see that kind of lateral movement from a "B" goalie.

I will admit his rebound control has been a bit weak in this series, though. Fortunately for him, the Bolts don't have too many guys looking to pick up the trash.

Really awful officiating on both sides tonight. The linesmen were terrible, too.

I can't believe I made it home from the game before this thread was locked.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Hockeyfan02

Awesome game tonight and a nailbiter to the end. It took at least 8 minutes to get from 3:00 to 2:00 it seemed like. Atmosphere in the Forum was awesome. Everyone standing and cheering the final minute, I loved it. On to the game thoughts:

Lightning power play was awesome tonight. 3 out of 4 and the only failure was only about a minute thanks to an Andreychuk PP. Richards was absolutely lethal tonight with his shots. He could have had 4 or 5 tonight. Rusty who scored the other goal was good tonight, winning some battles in the offensive zone. Pavel Kubina was an animal tonight. 25+ minutes of ice time and he did a great job on "THE LEGEND", which included a NASTY two handed slash to the back of the leg in front of the ref which was not called thanks to the 3rd period whistle putting away the NHL refs feel they must do. I wonder if old Hitchcock is gonna complain about that after complaining about the Lightning doing it. And everyone here is right, Esche played awesome tonight and made some great saves in the 1st period. Khabi outdueled him tonight but Esche kept his team in the game. Lightning brainfarted again for a 2 minute stretch in the 2nd but held on thanks to Khabibulin's great play. Overall good game and probably the best game of the series so far. Lightning one win away, lets close it out Thursday boys.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:44 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Both coaches could complain all night about the refs. They didn't call anything tonight. Even on that shift in the third when Richards got hooked, held and tripped in three separate incidents all in the space of about 30 seconds (and somehow never lost the puck).

Terrible officiating.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:04 PM
rwilson99

Quote:
That said, HOW ABOUT THE LEGEND OF BRAD RICHARDS, BILL CLEMENT? Two absolutely GORGEOUS powerplay goals, one his FIFTH gamewinning goal of the playoffs and EIGHTH of the postseason. The guy is a point per gamer this playoffs. What a huge turnaround from last year for this kid. He definitely belongs on Team Canada and should do his country proud.

Great game. Philly didn't give up and almost put egg on our faces by turning the momentum around while the crowd was still chanting "KHA-BI!" Now let's see we can put two wins together. This really is a seesaw series. It's scary.
Brad Richards is making a Conn Smythe type run. With five game winners you have to put him on the short list with Iginla, Khabby, Primeau, Kiprusoff and Nabakov. ESPNABC et al needs to start embracing Richards and the Lightning. They play an exciting and marketable brand of hockey and have some of the best young starts in the game.

Unfortunately, NHL2Nite couldn't even get the shots on goals correct for the game. The highlight slide awarded 28 shots to the Flyers and 26 shots for the Lightning, unfortunately the score board at the end of the game was 31-30 Lightning. It's a small point, but is indicative of the goalie swapping, name forgetting, unprofessional nature of ESPN's coverage of the NHL.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footemeister
Esche has outplayed Brodeur and Belfour. Doesn't that count for anything?
WTF, are you blind? Belfour clearly outplayed Esche in all but one of the games in that series, thats 5 for Belfour and 1 for Esche and some how you think Esche outplayed him.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:00 AM
Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

awwww come on philly

Old
05-19-2004, 12:15 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Richards needs a pimp. This kid would be a superstar in a big market. As is, he's virtually ignored outside of Tampa. Both those shots were sweeeeet. I thought he was going to get the hatter on that later PP when Vinny found him for the one-timer in the right circle. Another nice save by Esche. You don't see that kind of lateral movement from a "B" goalie.
I don't think so, he's been my favorite player on Tampa. if I had my choice, I would take him over Vinny.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:49 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
To the Bolt fans: Last night was a spectacular game. Probably in the top 3 for me. Bulin was just, in a word, a wall. I guess the nickname fits. This is turning out to be one hell of a series.
Great game by Bulin and Richards. Even though we lost, I know this will go the full 7. May the best team win.

As far as the Flyers, got to cut down on penalties. Which will probably happen since a lot of calls are in favor of the home team. Officiating has been horrendous. Flyers need to stop standing on defense and letting the Bolts get to the pucks behind the net. Move your feet boys. Based on the effort they gave to tie the game and put 2 quick goals on the board, they aren't done. Game 6 will not be the last game. This series will end Saturday. I just hope we can pull it out.

Good luck to each team.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:00 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
It easily shows the level of goalie Philly has throughout the playoffs. The farther Philyl ahs gone, the harder the teams they have played and THE WORSE Esche stats have gone. The higher the competition, the worse Esche has done.
Yeah the three goals he gave up last night were his fault.

Two absolute rockets by Richards that were just perfect shots, NOBODY makes those saves. The first goal he makes a very nice save on a Fedotenko deflection, and the puck goes right back to him to put in on a rebound.

If it wasn't for Esche if could have been 6-0 in the first period.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:04 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
No goal = impossible to save.

There are plenty of dumb comments made on these boards each day, but that's the best one I've heard in a while.

A perfect shot will beat a goalie EVERY time.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:07 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
WTF, are you blind? Belfour clearly outplayed Esche in all but one of the games in that series, thats 5 for Belfour and 1 for Esche and some how you think Esche outplayed him.
Are you kidding me ???

Game 1 - Esche
Game 2 - Esche
Game 3 - Belfour
Game 4 - Belfour
Game 5 - Neither - Belfour was awful, Esche left early due to sickness
Game 6 - Esche

Old
05-19-2004, 08:16 AM
DARKSIDE

Enjoyed a great game last night. I believe it will go seven. Brad Richards and Primeau have been fantastic. However, I have a question about Primeau and I'm not taking a shot at him, but does he always hit with his elbows, I mean I don't remember him ever leading with his shoulders?

Old
05-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Hoek

I wouldn't say ALWAYS, but it is disconcerting how easily he lets that elbow get up at times. ESPN showed him swing an elbow in Martin St. Louis' face at mid ice once, too. I know it's the playoffs and dirty stuff goes on, but we don't need another Tie Domi flying elbow incident. Bring those arms down, Mr. Legend, and hit like a professional.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:17 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I wouldn't say ALWAYS, but it is disconcerting how easily he lets that elbow get up at times. ESPN showed him swing an elbow in Martin St. Louis' face at mid ice once, too. I know it's the playoffs and dirty stuff goes on, but we don't need another Tie Domi flying elbow incident. Bring those arms down, Mr. Legend, and hit like a professional.
If you want to bring up Primeau's elbows, just be sure to mention St. Louis high sticks .. and we'll call it even.

Closed Thread