HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ECF Gm.5: Philadelphia Flyers @ Tampa Bay Lightning l Bolts 4-2 l Bolts Lead 3-2

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 09:34 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Bring those arms down, Mr. Legend, and hit like a professional.
:lol

Tell the Bolts to try actually hitting the players while the clock is still running and not after. I'd be surprised if they ever did that.
Examples: Modin crosscheck, Kubina's extra shove, St. Louis stick to Recchi's face and glove in Gagne's face on the icing play.
All I ask is that the Bolts try keeping in the game and not after the whistle. Thanks.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:42 AM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
Glad to see a good ol Island boy getting mad props around the hockey world... Brad Richards is a far better player than LeCavalier.. i've been saying it for years.

Great game last night.. enjoyed it immensely.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:15 AM
petec1978*

Quote:
Enjoyed a great game last night. I believe it will go seven. Brad Richards and Primeau have been fantastic. However, I have a question about Primeau and I'm not taking a shot at him, but does he always hit with his elbows, I mean I don't remember him ever leading with his shoulders?
Keith Elbow er Primeau?

Nooooooooooooooooooo! ::sarcasm dripping::

-Pete Choquette

Old
05-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec1978
Keith Elbow er Primeau?

Nooooooooooooooooooo! ::sarcasm dripping::

-Pete Choquette

Enjoy your win and your teams success like a man and stop potshotting one of the best performers in the playoffs...there's been dirt on both sides, players and fans included. Way to go Brad...nice to see you finally get your due. Wish it could be against someone else.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Hoek

Okay Marty's stick gets up sometimes but what other option does a 5'7" player have? Especially when Primeau is lifting him up and piledriving him when they're up against the boards. Most of the time St. Louis' stick goes up it is instinctual and usually comes after taking a crosscheck in the back or an elbow in the face. He's shown he's not afraid to put the glove in someone's face who's much bigger than him, but sometimes his only recourse is doing a little stickwork of his own, which he rarely connects on anyway.

As for the after the whistle stuff. Give me a break. Both teams do that crap. Prime example was Primeau on Kubina last night.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
Okay Marty's stick gets up sometimes but what other option does a 5'7" player have?
He could follow the rules and not put his stick up.

Quote:
but sometimes his only recourse is doing a little stickwork of his own, which he rarely connects on anyway.
So what. If he drops the gloves and throws punches but doesn't connect, does that mean he shouldn't get 5 for fighting? It's the action of putting up a high stick, not connecting on a high stick, that is the offense. Of course it's not called that way, but that doesn't change the fact that the intent and attempt was still there.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Hoek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
He could follow the rules and not put his stick up.
He would if others followed the rules first. But everyone knows they gotta go after him and they use any means to do it. Keep in mind this is a player that only had 24 PIMs in the regular season and is a Lady Byng finalist, so calling him dirty is a complete utter joke.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
He would if others followed the rules first.
I knew you were going to say that. The old "everyone else is, so why can't I?" defense. You worry about yourself, what other players do is not under your control.

Quote:
Keep in mind this is a player that only had 24 PIMs in the regular season and is a Lady Byng finalist, so calling him dirty is a complete utter joke.
I never used the word "dirty" to describe St. Louis. I merely answered a question you asked.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:54 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I never used the word "dirty" to describe St. Louis.
I never saw dirty mentioned either.

But in a series like this, every player is doing something vicious.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:59 AM
jerseydevil

I don't know if anyone is interested but....I just got an email from a place called ticketcity ..They say they have Flyer tix to unload for Game 6 at face value that they are trying to get rid of...I'm obviously not a Flyer fan but am a Jersey resident that got the email.. I know they're are tickets at the box office as well but thought this might be of interest if anyone wants better seats at face value....

Old
05-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Coburnfan05

Fellow flyer fans there is no point trying to argue about Esche's ability as a goalie because non flyer fans just didn't see him enough over the full season and like to hop on the medias bandwagon of making him out to be an average goalie. As far as his play in the playoffs he has been stellar and I will agree with many Khabby, Kipper and Nabby have been better but that doesn't diminsh Esche as a goalie. There were 2 games v.s NJ that he won for us, tight games and he made thestops when neccesary. Against the Leafs in game #2 and Game #6 he was huge.

Is Esche the next coming of Patty Roy...NO. Is he a solid #1 starter who will improve with consistent playing time and become great...YES.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I am 9 - 0 when predicting in the postseason and think the Flyers win tonight. I know this goes aganist my Bolts in 6 call but I have yet to be wrong when I get this feeling. And let me tell you what, I have that feeling very strongly right now.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:56 PM
highstickingyerface

More important than all this Esche bickering or St Louis /Primeau dirty play accusations............ how in the sam flippity feck did Cory Stillman get credit for an assist on Richards 2nd goal? Don't these scorers realize hockey pools are big money and one "phantom" point could cost my kids dinner?

Old
05-19-2004, 01:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickingyerface
More important than all this Esche bickering or St Louis /Primeau dirty play accusations............ how in the sam flippity feck did Cory Stillman get credit for an assist on Richards 2nd goal? Don't these scorers realize hockey pools are big money and one "phantom" point could cost my kids dinner?
If you look at the replay the draw didn't go directly to Richards, it went a bit to the side, and Stillman tipped the puck back to Richards.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:37 PM
swflyers8*

Quote:
As for the after the whistle stuff. Give me a break. Both teams do that crap. Prime example was Primeau on Kubina last night.
Yes, I guess Kubina needed to get Primeau back later on the offsides play where Primeau stopped and Pavel just decide to shove him for the fun of it? If Marty wants to get in a scrum, keep your stick down. That's why I think Recchi was a little mad. The only call I had a question on was the Modin crosscheck on Amonte, or non-call I should say. How is that not a penalty?

Positive stat for next game:

Hitch is 2-0 in Conference Final games where his team is down 3-2. Dallas in 99 & 00. Both team made the finals so that is good news for us having him at the helm.

Old
05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
highstickingyerface

I'll have to see the replay again......... to me it appeared the puck struck Primeau's shinpads and ricocheted perfectly to the wide open Richards

Frankly I didn't think any assist should be given on the play but was appauled at Stillman getting one

Old
05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Yes, I guess Kubina needed to get Primeau back later on the offsides play where Primeau stopped and Pavel just decide to shove him for the fun of it?
Hey, maybe that was retaliation for the time Primeau punched Lecavalier in the face after the whistle. Gosh, this is pointless, isn't it? Maybe we should just accept that this stuff happens all the time and the powerplays in this series are deadlocked at 21-21. Shut your yap. I'll shut mine, too.

Old
05-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
Hey, maybe that was retaliation for the time Primeau punched Lecavalier in the face after the whistle. Gosh, this is pointless, isn't it? Maybe we should just accept that this stuff happens all the time and the powerplays in this series are deadlocked at 21-21. Shut your yap. I'll shut mine, too.

That's the single best post anyone's made on a game thread in this series. Thanks

Old
05-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Thunderstorm

Quote:

Positive stat for next game:

Hitch is 2-0 in Conference Final games where his team is down 3-2. Dallas in 99 & 00. Both team made the finals so that is good news for us having him at the helm.
yet another stat: 5 of last 6 Flyer series ending losses have been in Philadelphia...FYI

Personally, stats are everything and nothing.

Old
05-20-2004, 07:08 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
yet another stat: 5 of last 6 Flyer series ending losses have been in Philadelphia...FYI
Thanks, Mr. Wizard, I'm aware of that stat as well. :mad:

Old
05-20-2004, 09:06 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Another stat.... TB has never failed to close out a series when given the opportunity to eliminate an opponent. They are 3-0

Last edited by TBLightningFan: 05-20-2004 at 09:08 AM. Reason: more info
Old
05-20-2004, 09:22 AM
swflyers8*

Just another piece of evidence from the game the other night that a few Bolt players didn't get called on obvious penalties.

See, when you piggyback on a opposing player, feet not touching the ground, that's a penalty.

Quote:
Another stat.... TB has never failed to close out a series when given the opportunity to eliminate an opponent. They are 3-0
Hey, that means a lot considering the Bolts have been in the playoffs, what, 3 times? Yes, let's keep that in mind.

Old
05-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Hoek

Means more than this..

Quote:
Hitch is 2-0 in Conference Final games where his team is down 3-2.
Three games is more statistically significant than two, and Hitch had different teams back then, whereas this is the same Lightning team that has gone 3-0 to this point.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:07 AM
swflyers8*

Quote:
Three games is more statistically significant than two, and Hitch had different teams back then, whereas this is the same Lightning team that has gone 3-0 to this point.
:lol :lol

Great theory, glad you have faith in it. It means nothing to me though. There is no logic in that statement.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:52 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Just another piece of evidence from the game the other night that a few Bolt players didn't get called on obvious penalties.
I know, the Flyers were out there innocently doing figure-eights while the big, mean Bolts just kept brutalizing them for no reason at all.

This is pathetic. I could mention all of the following blatant infractions: Markov tripping Boyle (no call), Primeau dropping a glove and punching Lecavalier in the face (no call), Johnsson coming off the bench as the sixth Flyer during a fight (automatic game misconduct plus suspension ... no call), Primeau cross-checking St. Louis in the neck (no call), Amonte elbowing St. Louis in the head (no call), Roenick driving Sarich face-first into the boards (no call), Primeau slashing Kubina in the back of the leg (no call), Esche punching Modin (no call), and, worst of all, Richards being tripped, held and interfered with all in the space of 10 seconds right in front of the referee (no call x3).

But you know what? All those things are irrelevant. Game's over. Move on.

And try watching the next one with a little objectivity.

Closed Thread