HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Brandon Yip potential

Old
06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Jason Allison

vCash: 500
Brandon Yip potential

Hi,

I don't get to see any Colorado games, so I was just curious as to what Brandon Yip potential in the NHL is. Will be be a top 6 or 3rd line players for the Avalanche at any time? PP time ? Pk time? What kind of stats are expected of him? 40pts? less/more?

Jason Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:04 PM
volaju

For 10/11, expect 5-10-15. That's assuming he gets NHL ice time, which isn't guaranteed by any means. Beyond that, who knows. Of course, I could be wrong.

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Uh, he's an interesting player. I think that he can, play as an NHL regular regardless of any offensive improvement or not..

He's not a PK candidate, but he will proabably be one for the PP next year. I would say 15-15-30 would be a realistic expectation for him.

The problem I see in him, is that he is inconsistent, and I think chemistry is a must for him in the future. The way he gets rid of the puck so quickly, juggling lines and playing with many players probably won't be the best idea for him.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:39 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
15 or 20 goals depending on where he's put. Drives the net hard, can play on both checking and scoring lines. Not a high end talent, but a solid guy to have.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:12 AM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
Uh, he's an interesting player. I think that he can, play as an NHL regular regardless of any offensive improvement or not..

He's not a PK candidate, but he will proabably be one for the PP next year. I would say 15-15-30 would be a realistic expectation for him.

The problem I see in him, is that he is inconsistent, and I think chemistry is a must for him in the future. The way he gets rid of the puck so quickly, juggling lines and playing with many players probably won't be the best idea for him.
Agreed. He does do that , albeit smartly (or that it just seems so), not sure if it's a good thing or a bad one. He's a hard one t o judge IMO, we'll just have to wait and see.
Although line juggling for him mid-game will not be good for his short-term production, it could do wonders for his long-term development, but like I said, it's hard to say.
It's also hard for me to judge his play without the puck.
How active was he defensively? ANybody know? I don't remember a whole lot of things about him when he was away from the play.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 06:39 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Third line player that can play 2nd line if needed. Typical energy guy with an underrated set of hands. Good motor, works hard and palys the body. Can score if gets the opportunities. I would say he will be a 40 point NHLer.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

He has a very underrated wrist shot and he is as gritty as the come. Not the most talented guy but in his peak years he could be a 25-25-50 guy.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Adama0905

If he steps in for the top six, he can go on nice little runs and push his numbers up to about twenty goals I'd say.

But otherwise, he's a guy where if he's really a mainstay in your top six, you're in trouble.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
unlike others in this thread, I'm not so ready to give up on him as a top six player quite yet.

I think he has a good majority of the physical and mental tools to be a top six player, however I think the only thing he's missing is one dominating trait that can put up points consistently. If we give him a couple years, that may become goal scoring. Probably not, but I won't rule him out yet.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Really cautious on this one. He's got more skills than McLeod, but after watching what happened to Cody this year I'm a little weary of saying anyone is going to score a lot of goals from the third line again. Would be nice though - we really didn't have much scoring past the 1st and 2nd lines (save October when we were hitting on all cylinders).

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Really cautious on this one. He's got more skills than McLeod, but after watching what happened to Cody this year I'm a little weary of saying anyone is going to score a lot of goals from the third line again. Would be nice though - we really didn't have much scoring past the 1st and 2nd lines (save October when we were hitting on all cylinders).
McLeod can only dream of having Yip's wrist shot though.

Anyways, I think Yip is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Probably best suited for 3rd line but can step in the 2nd line if injuries strike. He's got good wheels, decent size, a good set of hands, and is physical.

For the person who said he was inconsistent, I wouldn't call it inconsistent as much as he was coming back from a shoulder injury. He was great from the get go until his shoulder injury, then when he came back he didn't find his stride until the playoffs where I thought he played pretty good.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I'd like to see him be more consistently physical and to go to the net more. That's when he creates offense.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'd like to see him be more consistently physical and to go to the net more. That's when he creates offense.
That's how he played before suffering his injury. He was the most physical player on the ice for the Avs for many games in a row and was getting rewarded for it.

He played shy almost and u could see he didn't trust his shoulder after that, but I think we will see the old Yip in training camp.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
That's how he played before suffering his injury. He was the most physical player on the ice for the Avs for many games in a row and was getting rewarded for it.

He played shy almost and u could see he didn't trust his shoulder after that, but I think we will see the old Yip in training camp.
I wouldn't be horribly upset to see him get a year in the AHL where he just focuses on developing a physical game. I doubt it will happen though since he was decently productive in the NHL last year.

It is easy to forget he went pretty much directly from NCAA to NHL and that a year in the AHL would be good for his development. On the other hand, with the coaching staff we have on the Avs perhaps they can teach him what is required for him to realize his potential.

Old
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I wouldn't be horribly upset to see him get a year in the AHL where he just focuses on developing a physical game. I doubt it will happen though since he was decently productive in the NHL last year.

It is easy to forget he went pretty much directly from NCAA to NHL and that a year in the AHL would be good for his development. On the other hand, with the coaching staff we have on the Avs perhaps they can teach him what is required for him to realize his potential.
Sometimes the NCAA kids come in more ready for the rigors of the game. That goes against the common wisdom that major junior prepares kids better but it does seem to be the case. Some of it definitely has to do with age and physical maturity. The college game is a lot more physical than it was a decade or so ago too.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 07:35 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Sometimes the NCAA kids come in more ready for the rigors of the game. That goes against the common wisdom that major junior prepares kids better but it does seem to be the case. Some of it definitely has to do with age and physical maturity. The college game is a lot more physical than it was a decade or so ago too.
Agreed, especially the maturity piece. The Avs have done well thru the years drafting college kids, and we have few coming up through the ranks that I'm eager to see in action.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:17 AM
the_fan

50 G 60 A 110 P for Yip next season

45 G 50 A 95 P for Galiardi

The avs have true top 6 forwards in those two

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:36 PM
the_fan

Ok, i'm going to stop being negative towards the avs and the young players they have.

I'd say Yip will be a solid 7 to 10 goals a season guy for them.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Drij

Yip will be a 10-20 goal scorer, 50 point guy at his best.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Potentially a solid 3rd line winger. 20 goal per year winger who plays with a physical edge.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:40 PM
NomadJackson

Kinda interesting that the guy scored 11 goals and 19 pts in 32 games the first chance he got to prove he can play in the league, added two goals in six playoff games, and just about everyone expects his career potential to fall short of what he's already accomplished in a small sample size. I'm thinking the low expectations have something to do with something other than his hockey ability and certainly is no reflection on how he's performed so far in his short career.

NomadJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadJackson View Post
Kinda interesting that the guy scored 11 goals and 19 pts in 32 games the first chance he got to prove he can play in the league, added two goals in six playoff games, and just about everyone expects his career potential to fall short of what he's already accomplished in a small sample size. I'm thinking the low expectations have something to do with something other than his hockey ability and certainly is no reflection on how he's performed so far in his short career.
Avs fans are more cautious than most I guess. We've seen Svatos fail hard after a great rookie campaign. Yip is another late draft pick whose greatly exceeded our expectations. We don't want to set ourselves up too high.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
He never really showed a lot of offense until his last year of college and for a short period in the NHL. When he came back from his injury he was really bad. Those things should have some weight as well as the great streak he had when everything went into net.

I think it is most fair to pencil him in as a third liner type of guy at this stage and if he exceeds that, great. If he doesn't, he still turns out to be better than what we thought when we drafted him.

Some guys it is reasonable to hype. Yip isn't one of them. Not yet at least.

Old
06-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Well sure he had a good showing, but he was never hyped up to be some offensive juggernaut. Thirty two games isn't enough for me to completely throw out all prior predictions, even if he was scoring above ppg pace. I say he'll never be a top six rock, but is capable of stepping in if we really need it.

That's a good enough prediction for a guy with the supposed potential he showed.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:40 PM
NomadJackson

I'm not making any predictions about Yip's potential. But if I were, and I had at my disposal my own prognostications of what kind of player he would be before he started in the NHL, then he comes into the NHL and shows something different, I'm not disregarding the latter and assuming the former is a more informative indication of what kind of player he is. But that's just me.

NomadJackson is offline   Reply With Quote