HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Strong Durable Stick for a Defenceman

Old
02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Truber190
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Strong Durable Stick for a Defenceman

I am looking for a very durable stick, it will mainly be used slapshots with the odd wrist or snapshot. I need a stick with a blade that can take a lot of punishment, as in the last 50~ days I have broke a S19, Eq50 and T90. I have had my eyes on the RBZ, Mako or the TotalOne NXG but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Truber190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
AIREAYE

Mako M5, Easton ST, CCM CS. A beefed up CCM/Reebok pro stock stick with an 'HD' code designation (I'm sure other makers have their own codes, Bauer's SE for example), a high end 2-piece combo.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Truber190
Rookie User

Do these sticks designed to be stronger give up much on other performance aspects of the sticks such as power, weight, feel etc.?

Old
02-26-2013, 07:57 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Easton ST. Almost impossible to break and should be cheap if you can find one right now.

Decent performance too.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truber190 View Post
Do these sticks designed to be stronger give up much on other performance aspects of the sticks such as power, weight, feel etc.?
You can't have your cake and eat it too

Well performance is perception, weight is preference and feel is subjective.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
As others have mentioned, Easton ST has been known to be a durable bang-for-your-buck type of stick..

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
#2eddieshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
A beefed up CCM/Reebok pro stock stick with an 'HD' code designation
So the sticks the pros use are different to the ones sold in the store?

When O'Byrne was the Habs I bought one of his Rbk 7k sticks and it was an absolute beast of a stick. I then bought pretty much the exact same stick from a store and it was completely different. Returned it.

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
r3cc0s

I miss my ST...

honestly I thought it was the perfect stick... it weighed in at like 485, had all the same synergy characteristics, good balance and weight feel

I've since switched to a 2 piece AK27 which is a good stick, but you need a proper blade (I use an Easton RS, but its not overly durable)

I've also bought a T90, and a totalone NXG

the TotalONE nxt probably is the best feeling stick with tons of pop, but to me its not significantly better than the Synergy sticks (now mako) and If I were to go back, it'd be to a ST

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Truber190
Rookie User

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I decided to go with the CCM CS, can't wait to try it out at the ODR tonight.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by #2eddieshore View Post
So the sticks the pros use are different to the ones sold in the store?

When O'Byrne was the Habs I bought one of his Rbk 7k sticks and it was an absolute beast of a stick. I then bought pretty much the exact same stick from a store and it was completely different. Returned it.
Yes sir. Although you might see the rare pro return stick that has retail specs, the vast majority are different, with different degrees of differentiation. Blade, shaft construction, custom curve, textures, shaft sizes, grips, lengths, materials etc.

Unless you know what the codes stand for (and even then, it's a rough ballpark), the best you could do is picking it up and through trial and error.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:03 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Mako M5, Easton ST, CCM CS. A beefed up CCM/Reebok pro stock stick with an 'HD' code designation (I'm sure other makers have their own codes, Bauer's SE for example), a high end 2-piece combo.
So THAT'S what that means. Thanks for finally solving a question that's bugged me about my pro (college) return Vapor XXXX for a while now. Also explains why the stick is still in such good shape. I'd searched for a guide to those codes and could never find anything, and had just shrugged it off and given up.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:59 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKirk View Post
So THAT'S what that means. Thanks for finally solving a question that's bugged me about my pro (college) return Vapor XXXX for a while now. Also explains why the stick is still in such good shape. I'd searched for a guide to those codes and could never find anything, and had just shrugged it off and given up.
SE is built to CHL/European pro specs and are made to be more durable. Bauer has had SE retail options for a while now, but only in Europe. The new Mako M5 II is built to these specs, and with the same weight as the 2011 Mako, should be a winner.

Not exactly sure what the specs are tbh.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another option is a Harrow 300 2-piece stick. The blades are just about indestructable. Harrow sticks are 75% graphite and 25% fiberglass, so they are not as light or high performance as the $200+ sticks out there, but they are absolute tanks.

Teammate of mine bought two tapered shafts and two tapered blades around December 2009. He's a center so takes a lot of draws and had trouble breaking blades. One of those sticks he still uses today and the other he just retired a couple months ago as the blade was starting to go soft. That's about three years of use.

I used several Harrow blades over the last few years and not a single one of them ever went soft or cracked. The paint would chip off but that's about it. It's ridiculous.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote