HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you know when your skating ability surpasses your boot stiffness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2010, 06:26 PM
  #1
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
How do you know when your skating ability surpasses your boot stiffness?

Just that. What are the signs?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
  #2
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
what

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
  #3
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 15,986
vCash: 500
Fever, vomiting, heavy sweating, and a violent cough.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
  #4
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 9,582
vCash: 450
When you go to a stiffer boot and notice a jump in your speed.

That's how I figured it out anyway, and now I'm stuck buying top end skates for the rest of my life.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
  #5
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 2466
your skating will evolve once you get a decent pair of skates. If you think you need better skates get them.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 10:58 PM
  #6
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Well, it's a hard thing to honestly say. If you feel like you're putting so much pressure in your boot that it's literally flopping down around your foot, that's a good sign

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
  #7
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
When you go to a stiffer boot and notice a jump in your speed.

That's how I figured it out anyway, and now I'm stuck buying top end skates for the rest of my life.
I know I need a stiffer boot better quality skate. I've never spent a bazillion dollara on skates but should seriously think about doing so.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:02 AM
  #8
Thepandamancan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I know I need a stiffer boot better quality skate. I've never spent a bazillion dollara on skates but should seriously think about doing so.
I recently got some Bauer Vapors...the lowest priced model is pretty darn stiff. I'm a beginner skater but it does the job and I'm also a heavier guy. I bet going up another couple price points would get you something extremely good, but you might not have to break the bank.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:10 AM
  #9
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,244
vCash: 500
Those low end models will wear out pretty quick though. I was 180+ pounds skating in a pair that died after maybe 3-4 months.

Split, what skates are you using? Can you squeeze the two sides of the boot together around the ankle area? If you grab the boot in one hand and the holder in the other, can you twist it?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
  #10
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Those low end models will wear out pretty quick though. I was 180+ pounds skating in a pair that died after maybe 3-4 months.

Split, what skates are you using? Can you squeeze the two sides of the boot together around the ankle area? If you grab the boot in one hand and the holder in the other, can you twist it?
Bauer Vapor 6's from 2002. What would those be equivalent to now? I can squeeze but not twist.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
  #11
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Bauer Vapor 6's from 2002. What would those be equivalent to now? I can squeeze but not twist.
Wow I currently use 2 pair of these exact skate! I bought a brand new pair as a closeout from Perani's last summer for $99!

great skate for the money and are more of a traditional skate. Skates today are much lighter by the way.

These sold for about $260-$300 in 2002 or close to it. I like them but i should upgrade to a better modern skate.

I too am heavy at 245lbs and 6ft 4in. My old pair of these is still holding out good by the way. i mainly use the pair I bought new last summer though now.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
  #12
kirsi
Registered User
 
kirsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
i can squeeze my boots around the ankle. i've been thinking for a while that i need stiffer ones, too, but havent been skating much so i havent been caring. pretty sure my skates are kid-sized, so that might have something to do with it...

maybe you just feel that you need new ones

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
  #13
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,244
vCash: 500
What problems are you having that makes you want different skates? And how long have you been skating in them? Did you buy new or used?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
  #14
vinogradov8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
When you go to a stiffer boot and notice a jump in your speed.

That's how I figured it out anyway, and now I'm stuck buying top end skates for the rest of my life.
Poor you! I wish I was stuck with high end skates!

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
  #15
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,244
vCash: 500
It's not being stuck with the skates, it's stuck paying for them

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:43 AM
  #16
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
I'm currently in the process of questioning my skates. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's that I got in early March and I can't decide if my boots are going soft or if I just suck. The ankle area seems rigid enough but I can touch the two sides together without a great amount of force. I really notice it on crossovers or anything where I have to really lean over, my ankles have started bowing downward and my skates keep slipping out from under me. I can't tell if my technique is off and the mental aspect is making it worse or if the boots are the problem.

Does it sound like I need to go stiffer?

Edit: It's probably worth noting that my first skate in the X:20's was my 3rd time on the ice in my life, so I don't exactly have any past experience with old skates. Also, I tie all the eyelets and really crank down the top 2 so I think they're as snug and supportive as they'll get.


Last edited by kr580: 06-17-2010 at 02:11 AM.
kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:22 AM
  #17
BadHammy*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm currently in the process of questioning my skates. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's that I got in early March and I can't decide if my boots are going soft or if I just suck. The ankle area seems rigid enough but I can touch the two sides together without a great amount of force. I really notice it on crossovers or anything where I have to really lean over, my ankles have started bowing downward and my skates keep slipping out from under me. I can't tell if my technique is off and the mental aspect is making it worse or if the boots are the problem.

Does it sound like I need to go stiffer?

Edit: It's probably worth noting that my first skate in the X:20's was my 3rd time on the ice in my life, so I don't exactly have any past experience with old skates. Also, I tie all the eyelets and really crank down the top 2 so I think they're as snug and supportive as they'll get.
From what you said, it could be bad technique, a weak boot or a combination of both. Are you having other problems with edgework? If everything else is okay, I tend to believe it's a boot stiffness issue. BTW, how big are you?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:36 AM
  #18
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
From what you said, it could be bad technique, a weak boot or a combination of both. Are you having other problems with edgework? If everything else is okay, I tend to believe it's a boot stiffness issue. BTW, how big are you?
I don't really notice any problems as far as my edges go outside of crossovers. The skates seem fine until I make some extreme leans then they give out when they didn't before (see: put pressure on skates when they aren't upright.) Tonight at skills class when doing hard laps I really noticed my ankles bowing downward badly (both feet) on the crossovers. Could it be from being tired? Played my first ever pickup the night before and am still exhausted.

I'm about 5' 10" (on a tall day) and 160lbs.

I'll be sure to hit a few public skates this weekend to feel them out properly but I'm just looking for opinions before making a rash decision.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:09 AM
  #19
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,244
vCash: 500
If you lace them up and roll your feet in, does the boot collapse when you put pressure down? Ideally there should be a lot of lateral support in the boot and outsole so when you're using your edges, your feet aren't collapsing towards the ice. You want the skates nice and rigid laterally. My cheap skates were twisting because of the plastic outsole and flimsy boot and I'd lose edges constantly. Same thing with a boot that's too big, the foot rolls and slips inside and makes you lose edges.

You want a boot that's stiff laterally and fit's very tight or snug so your heel and ankle don't move at all...that's when you can transfer 100% of your energy into the stride and be well balanced.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
  #20
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan
 
Jimmy Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm currently in the process of questioning my skates. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's that I got in early March and I can't decide if my boots are going soft or if I just suck. The ankle area seems rigid enough but I can touch the two sides together without a great amount of force. I really notice it on crossovers or anything where I have to really lean over, my ankles have started bowing downward and my skates keep slipping out from under me. I can't tell if my technique is off and the mental aspect is making it worse or if the boots are the problem.

Does it sound like I need to go stiffer?

Edit: It's probably worth noting that my first skate in the X:20's was my 3rd time on the ice in my life, so I don't exactly have any past experience with old skates. Also, I tie all the eyelets and really crank down the top 2 so I think they're as snug and supportive as they'll get.
If you can easily push the 2 sides together then they have probably gone weak. I have X:20's as well, start skating on them last September and I can't push them together like you say you can, and I'm a real big guy... Unless you're just godly strong or something lol

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:19 PM
  #21
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I don't really notice any problems as far as my edges go outside of crossovers. The skates seem fine until I make some extreme leans then they give out when they didn't before (see: put pressure on skates when they aren't upright.) Tonight at skills class when doing hard laps I really noticed my ankles bowing downward badly (both feet) on the crossovers. Could it be from being tired? Played my first ever pickup the night before and am still exhausted.

I'm about 5' 10" (on a tall day) and 160lbs.

I'll be sure to hit a few public skates this weekend to feel them out properly but I'm just looking for opinions before making a rash decision.
New skaters are generally weaker, and less able to flex the skate, a really stiff boot for a new skater is actually gonna be pretty tough to use. If you're 160 lbs, and still a new skater, I doubt you're applying crazy force: it's probably your technique, not your skates. I still skate in an old pair of Bauer Supreme 2000s without problems.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
  #22
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
I figured out my legs were just fatigued to high heaven. No more problems since. Except when I get lazy.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 05:22 PM
  #23
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
I'm getting close to a year with these skates I initiay had the question with (Bauer valor 6's from 02') and I have been tying the skates as tight as I can up by the ankle and then taping around a few times with clear tape. the last time I skated during pickup, I noticed I snapped the tape on my right skate from what looked like too much flex and tension. would this be a good indication to move up? I already plan to upgrade to a newer skate model in a couple months as I set aside cash for it but I just need to figure out with of the newer vapor line I want to get to replace my old ones.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:10 AM
  #24
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm currently in the process of questioning my skates. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's that I got in early March and I can't decide if my boots are going soft or if I just suck. The ankle area seems rigid enough but I can touch the two sides together without a great amount of force. I really notice it on crossovers or anything where I have to really lean over, my ankles have started bowing downward and my skates keep slipping out from under me. I can't tell if my technique is off and the mental aspect is making it worse or if the boots are the problem.

Does it sound like I need to go stiffer?

Edit: It's probably worth noting that my first skate in the X:20's was my 3rd time on the ice in my life, so I don't exactly have any past experience with old skates. Also, I tie all the eyelets and really crank down the top 2 so I think they're as snug and supportive as they'll get.
i play pickup with a guy who's about 6'4" and over 200 lbs. that guy is a fast and hard player, and he actually sports X:20s (all his stuff is cheap, guess he just doesn't have the money). i never noticed he had problems with his skates. i'd say you can get pretty darn good of a skater and still use a low level skate if you're on a budget. players 20 years ago all used skates we'd say are too soft, still they were amazing hockey players.

just my 2c on the subject.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:33 AM
  #25
kr580
Registered User
 
kr580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
i play pickup with a guy who's about 6'4" and over 200 lbs. that guy is a fast and hard player, and he actually sports X:20s (all his stuff is cheap, guess he just doesn't have the money). i never noticed he had problems with his skates. i'd say you can get pretty darn good of a skater and still use a low level skate if you're on a budget. players 20 years ago all used skates we'd say are too soft, still they were amazing hockey players.

just my 2c on the subject.
If you noticed my replies after that post I figured out I was just too tired and being a lazy bum without realizing it, haha. I now realize they're plenty stiff for me. I went over to the Supreme line since then though. They fit my wide feet much better than the Vapors.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.