HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How do you know when your skating ability surpasses your boot stiffness?

Old
06-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
How do you know when your skating ability surpasses your boot stiffness?

Just that. What are the signs?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Anthony*

what

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Fever, vomiting, heavy sweating, and a violent cough.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 08:25 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
When you go to a stiffer boot and notice a jump in your speed.

That's how I figured it out anyway, and now I'm stuck buying top end skates for the rest of my life.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
your skating will evolve once you get a decent pair of skates. If you think you need better skates get them.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 10:58 PM
BadHammy*

Well, it's a hard thing to honestly say. If you feel like you're putting so much pressure in your boot that it's literally flopping down around your foot, that's a good sign

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

That's how I figured it out anyway, and now I'm stuck buying top end skates for the rest of my life.
I know I need a stiffer boot better quality skate. I've never spent a bazillion dollara on skates but should seriously think about doing so.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I know I need a stiffer boot better quality skate. I've never spent a bazillion dollara on skates but should seriously think about doing so.
I recently got some Bauer Vapors...the lowest priced model is pretty darn stiff. I'm a beginner skater but it does the job and I'm also a heavier guy. I bet going up another couple price points would get you something extremely good, but you might not have to break the bank.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those low end models will wear out pretty quick though. I was 180+ pounds skating in a pair that died after maybe 3-4 months.

Split, what skates are you using? Can you squeeze the two sides of the boot together around the ankle area? If you grab the boot in one hand and the holder in the other, can you twist it?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Those low end models will wear out pretty quick though. I was 180+ pounds skating in a pair that died after maybe 3-4 months.

Split, what skates are you using? Can you squeeze the two sides of the boot together around the ankle area? If you grab the boot in one hand and the holder in the other, can you twist it?
Bauer Vapor 6's from 2002. What would those be equivalent to now? I can squeeze but not twist.

Old
06-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Bauer Vapor 6's from 2002. What would those be equivalent to now? I can squeeze but not twist.
Wow I currently use 2 pair of these exact skate! I bought a brand new pair as a closeout from Perani's last summer for $99!

great skate for the money and are more of a traditional skate. Skates today are much lighter by the way.

These sold for about $260-$300 in 2002 or close to it. I like them but i should upgrade to a better modern skate.

I too am heavy at 245lbs and 6ft 4in. My old pair of these is still holding out good by the way. i mainly use the pair I bought new last summer though now.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
kirsi

i can squeeze my boots around the ankle. i've been thinking for a while that i need stiffer ones, too, but havent been skating much so i havent been caring. pretty sure my skates are kid-sized, so that might have something to do with it...

maybe you just feel that you need new ones

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What problems are you having that makes you want different skates? And how long have you been skating in them? Did you buy new or used?

Old
06-15-2010, 12:01 AM
vinogradov8

Send a message via MSN to vinogradov8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

Poor you! I wish I was stuck with high end skates!

vinogradov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not being stuck with the skates, it's stuck paying for them

Old
06-17-2010, 01:43 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I'm currently in the process of questioning my skates. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's that I got in early March and I can't decide if my boots are going soft or if I just suck. The ankle area seems rigid enough but I can touch the two sides together without a great amount of force. I really notice it on crossovers or anything where I have to really lean over, my ankles have started bowing downward and my skates keep slipping out from under me. I can't tell if my technique is off and the mental aspect is making it worse or if the boots are the problem.

Does it sound like I need to go stiffer?

Edit: It's probably worth noting that my first skate in the X:20's was my 3rd time on the ice in my life, so I don't exactly have any past experience with old skates. Also, I tie all the eyelets and really crank down the top 2 so I think they're as snug and supportive as they'll get.

Last edited by kr580: 06-17-2010 at 02:11 AM.
kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:22 AM
BadHammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm currently in the process of questioning my skates. I have a pair of Bauer Vapor X:20's that I got in early March and I can't decide if my boots are going soft or if I just suck. The ankle area seems rigid enough but I can touch the two sides together without a great amount of force. I really notice it on crossovers or anything where I have to really lean over, my ankles have started bowing downward and my skates keep slipping out from under me. I can't tell if my technique is off and the mental aspect is making it worse or if the boots are the problem.

Edit: It's probably worth noting that my first skate in the X:20's was my 3rd time on the ice in my life, so I don't exactly have any past experience with old skates. Also, I tie all the eyelets and really crank down the top 2 so I think they're as snug and supportive as they'll get.
From what you said, it could be bad technique, a weak boot or a combination of both. Are you having other problems with edgework? If everything else is okay, I tend to believe it's a boot stiffness issue. BTW, how big are you?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:36 AM
kr580

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
From what you said, it could be bad technique, a weak boot or a combination of both. Are you having other problems with edgework? If everything else is okay, I tend to believe it's a boot stiffness issue. BTW, how big are you?
I don't really notice any problems as far as my edges go outside of crossovers. The skates seem fine until I make some extreme leans then they give out when they didn't before (see: put pressure on skates when they aren't upright.) Tonight at skills class when doing hard laps I really noticed my ankles bowing downward badly (both feet) on the crossovers. Could it be from being tired? Played my first ever pickup the night before and am still exhausted.

I'm about 5' 10" (on a tall day) and 160lbs.

I'll be sure to hit a few public skates this weekend to feel them out properly but I'm just looking for opinions before making a rash decision.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you lace them up and roll your feet in, does the boot collapse when you put pressure down? Ideally there should be a lot of lateral support in the boot and outsole so when you're using your edges, your feet aren't collapsing towards the ice. You want the skates nice and rigid laterally. My cheap skates were twisting because of the plastic outsole and flimsy boot and I'd lose edges constantly. Same thing with a boot that's too big, the foot rolls and slips inside and makes you lose edges.

You want a boot that's stiff laterally and fit's very tight or snug so your heel and ankle don't move at all...that's when you can transfer 100% of your energy into the stride and be well balanced.

Old
07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:

If you can easily push the 2 sides together then they have probably gone weak. I have X:20's as well, start skating on them last September and I can't push them together like you say you can, and I'm a real big guy... Unless you're just godly strong or something lol

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:19 PM
ponder

Quote:
I don't really notice any problems as far as my edges go outside of crossovers. The skates seem fine until I make some extreme leans then they give out when they didn't before (see: put pressure on skates when they aren't upright.) Tonight at skills class when doing hard laps I really noticed my ankles bowing downward badly (both feet) on the crossovers. Could it be from being tired? Played my first ever pickup the night before and am still exhausted.

I'm about 5' 10" (on a tall day) and 160lbs.

I'll be sure to hit a few public skates this weekend to feel them out properly but I'm just looking for opinions before making a rash decision.
New skaters are generally weaker, and less able to flex the skate, a really stiff boot for a new skater is actually gonna be pretty tough to use. If you're 160 lbs, and still a new skater, I doubt you're applying crazy force: it's probably your technique, not your skates. I still skate in an old pair of Bauer Supreme 2000s without problems.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
kr580

I figured out my legs were just fatigued to high heaven. No more problems since. Except when I get lazy.

Old
02-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I'm getting close to a year with these skates I initiay had the question with (Bauer valor 6's from 02') and I have been tying the skates as tight as I can up by the ankle and then taping around a few times with clear tape. the last time I skated during pickup, I noticed I snapped the tape on my right skate from what looked like too much flex and tension. would this be a good indication to move up? I already plan to upgrade to a newer skate model in a couple months as I set aside cash for it but I just need to figure out with of the newer vapor line I want to get to replace my old ones.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:10 AM
izzy3

Quote:

i play pickup with a guy who's about 6'4" and over 200 lbs. that guy is a fast and hard player, and he actually sports X:20s (all his stuff is cheap, guess he just doesn't have the money). i never noticed he had problems with his skates. i'd say you can get pretty darn good of a skater and still use a low level skate if you're on a budget. players 20 years ago all used skates we'd say are too soft, still they were amazing hockey players.

just my 2c on the subject.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:33 AM
kr580

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
i play pickup with a guy who's about 6'4" and over 200 lbs. that guy is a fast and hard player, and he actually sports X:20s (all his stuff is cheap, guess he just doesn't have the money). i never noticed he had problems with his skates. i'd say you can get pretty darn good of a skater and still use a low level skate if you're on a budget. players 20 years ago all used skates we'd say are too soft, still they were amazing hockey players.

just my 2c on the subject.
If you noticed my replies after that post I figured out I was just too tired and being a lazy bum without realizing it, haha. I now realize they're plenty stiff for me. I went over to the Supreme line since then though. They fit my wide feet much better than the Vapors.