HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 3 players you want gone/signed

Old
06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
At what point during this playoff run did we need a "legit fighter"?
Such a shame i need to explain this. Must be a new fan. Cote is on the team. If you can replac ehim with a guy who does his role 100x better and at the same cost why wouldnt you upgrade that area? Then use him when it is needed against teams that have a real fighter.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:56 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Goons and one-dimensional fighters don't have a place in today's game. There's no need to replace Cote. At least not with a guy who's best skill is the ability to "beat down" the likes of Orr.
there is a need as cote sucks at his role. I forgot though the guys like him and he is such a team player

Old
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Such a shame i need to explain this. Must be a new fan. Cote is on the team. If you can replac ehim with a guy who does his role 100x better and at the same cost why wouldnt you upgrade that area? Then use him when it is needed against teams that have a real fighter.
Cuz you could replace him with a serviceable player, as opposed to a pretty much useless player.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 11:59 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, I fail to see how this is even a debate at this point. With the presence of the instigator... you know how you eliminate Orr? You don't engage him. If he wants to run around, he's going to take penalties and you cash in on the PPs.
your right it isnt a debate as cote should not be in the nhl and needs to be replaced.

That doesnt work all the time either just turning away. Cant wait until a key player gets injured becuase they turned the other cheek. Soemtimes you need to respond. The heavyweight fighter is not going away.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
your right it isnt a debate as cote should not be in the nhl and needs to be replaced.

That doesnt work all the time either just turning away. Cant wait until a key player gets injured becuase they turned the other cheek. Soemtimes you need to respond. The heavyweight fighter is not going away.
That explains why Detroit has carried one all these years.

Oh, wait.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:01 PM
jb**

Quote:
Cuz you could replace him with a serviceable player, as opposed to a pretty much useless player.
not really. what serviable player do you replace him with? He is nto useless a she serves a roel cote cant fill. He palys when needed. A guy for example like kalinski is better off playing in the ahl then sitting. Of course if a long term injury happens cote or whom ever would not be the answer and they would call someone up.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:04 PM
jb**

Quote:

Oh, wait.
wow you named 1 team who doesnt have a fighter. Guess your right. The flyers will always have one. Accept it.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
wow you named 1 team who doesnt have a fighter. Guess your right. The flyers will always have one. Accept it.
Yeah, 1 team that I desperately would like to replicate the success of.

I mean, lets get something straight. I appreciate the nostalgia for the 70s and 80s. I understand the charm of the "enforcer." However, the logic of the enforcer has been nixed by the creation of the instigator. A true enforcer is a completely useless player on your roster if the other team ignores him. That's just the way it is.

I mean, seriously, were you not watching the games with the Leafs this year where Carcillo (of all people) made Orr look like the complete jackass that he is?

Old
06-19-2010, 12:16 PM
mm6492

Gone: Riley Cote, Lucas Suckjek, Leighton/Boucher
Sign: Turco, Koivu, 3rd Pairing D-Man

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:16 PM
decadentia

Quote:

Oh, wait.
To be fair, they did recently have a fighter for two seasons. Aaron Downey played enough games in the 2007-2008 season as well to earn his ring.

But yeah as for Cote, he's useless.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:18 PM
jb**

Quote:
Yeah, 1 team that I desperately would like to replicate the success of.

I mean, lets get something straight. I appreciate the nostalgia for the 70s and 80s. I understand the charm of the "enforcer." However, the logic of the enforcer has been nixed by the creation of the instigator. A true enforcer is a completely useless player on your roster if the other team ignores him. That's just the way it is.

I mean, seriously, were you not watching the games with the Leafs this year where Carcillo (of all people) made Orr look like the complete jackass that he is?
dont totally disagree with what your saying. you just are not seeing my point i suppose. Mcgratton is a huge upgrade over cote, cote will be on the team. It is a ismple question, who would you rtaher have for the same price? Did you also see Orr running over richards and other players? As i said the flyers will always have one, wheter you agree or not.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:20 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
We still have players who fight on this team. Hartnell, Lappy, Richards.

They don't fight as much as Cote, but the guy was dressed how many games this past season? Not many, and we were still alright.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
To be fair, they did recently have a fighter for two seasons. Aaron Downey played enough games in the 2007-2008 season as well to earn his ring.

But yeah as for Cote, he's useless.
That's true, but I'm speaking more to this philosophical argument that you "have to" have one when necessary. Red Wings have kind of proven that not to be true.

I think it's important to have some guys that are willing to go when necessary, but it's very important that those guys be competent hockey players independent of that skill/willingness. The era of the heavyweight has pretty much passed, the only folks holding on to that are those yearning for the good ole days.

That being said, if they ever get rid of the instigator rule (and I do think that they should), we would see a return of that element to the sport.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
dont totally disagree with what your saying. you just are not seeing my point i suppose. Mcgratton is a huge upgrade over cote, cote will be on the team. It is a ismple question, who would you rtaher have for the same price? Did you also see Orr running over richards and other players? As i said the flyers will always have one, wheter you agree or not.
Yep, also saw the PPs that happened after that.

I'm also not convinced Cote will be on the team depending on how the cap and roster work out. Holmgren was set to dump him at the deadline if necessary.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:23 PM
decadentia

Quote:
That's true, but I'm speaking more to this philosophical argument that you "have to" have one when necessary. Red Wings have kind of proven that not to be true.

I think it's important to have some guys that are willing to go when necessary, but it's very important that those guys be competent hockey players independent of that skill/willingness. The era of the heavyweight has pretty much passed, the only folks holding on to that are those yearning for the good ole days.

That being said, if they ever get rid of the instigator rule (and I do think that they should), we would see a return of that element to the sport.
Agree with the heavyweight comment. That and Asham/Carcillo are both considered pretty good fighters for their class (and they bring other things to the game). Now, clearly we don't know if either are coming back next year, but we have a PK man with a ****ed up nose who throws them down as well. Cote's usefulness ends at the carnival.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Agree with the heavyweight comment. That and Asham/Carcillo are both considered pretty good fighters for their class (and they bring other things to the game). Now, clearly we don't know if either are coming back next year, but we have a PK man with a ****ed up nose who throws them down as well. Cote's usefulness ends at the carnival.
I'll be curious if Lappy fights as much next year... I could easily see him toning it down after this whole brain-scare thing.

Old
06-19-2010, 12:31 PM
jb**

Quote:
I'll be curious if Lappy fights as much next year... I could easily see him toning it down after this whole brain-scare thing.
No doubt i think he will and only fight to try to turn the tide and really pick his spots. i would not be shocked if he considers retirement

Old
06-19-2010, 12:42 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Seriously? I've been a fan since the cup teams. Loved the days and role of Schulz, Brown etc... Those days are over, I've watched as it's happened. Fighting is fine and helpful at times these days but there's no sense in waisting a roster spot for guys like that any more. Having guys like Carcillo and Lappy is great, they have primary roles other than fighting but can do it when nessessary. It's a shame anyone has to explain that in this day and age. I'll ask again, at what point do you think having a heavyweight taking up a roster spot would have changed the tide of any game or series this year?

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I can't see him doing that. I think he'll be a lot more cautious taking head shots, plus he'll be wearing a shield won't he? I can't see him removing his helmet on the ice at any cost due to the whole brain damage issue.

06-19-2010, 02:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Same here.

We could throw him in as our 5/6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I would love this kid on the Flyers
A birdie told me yesterday that Johnny Boychuk has an interest in playing for Edmonton. Whether that has any merit, I don't know.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 10:46 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Jones is already gone. Vokoun is not a FA.
ah, yeah you're right I forgot about Vokoun, didn't know jones was gone though.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 12:35 AM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Gone: Riley Cote, Lucas Suckjek, Leighton/Boucher
Sign: Turco, Koivu, 3rd Pairing D-Man
Saku? Good luck with that. He's a Duck with Selanne.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Jumping

He was mentioned earlier but in a disparaging way but if the Flyers trade Coburn or Carle, wouldn't Randy Jones be a pretty good #5 D man? I always thought that what people objected to the most was a) his salary and b) his salary for being only good enough to be a #5 or 6 (though paid like a 3/4).

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 01:47 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx83 View Post
Saku? Good luck with that. He's a Duck with Selanne.
You gotta resign him first.

Old
06-20-2010, 01:48 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
A birdie told me yesterday that Johnny Boychuk has an interest in playing for Edmonton. Whether that has any merit, I don't know.
You got sources eh?