HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Odd question - adding a brake to roller hockey skate

Old
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
bonnielad

vCash: 500
Odd question - adding a brake to roller hockey skate

I live at the top of a very large and steep hill - pretty much you leave the cul-de-sac and your headed down at a steep grade.

My son and I play ice hockey, and he's recently started skating around on some inline skates, but I feel that it would be best to have roller hockey skates (for both of us) so as to not messup what he's learning. However, roller hockey skates dont have brakes and due to the hill problem I want him to have the safety of a built in brake.

And there comes the problem: about 2 years ago I cam across a generic brake setup for roller hockey skates (holds a rubber stopper and attaches to the last two wheel bolts on either side of the holder). However, I can't find it any more.

Anyone out there know of one? Or something similar? Help.

Oh, and they skates wont be used at a roller rink or anything - just the street and sidewalks around the cul-de-sac.

Last edited by bonnielad: 06-11-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: more info.
bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
bonnielad

Answered my own question:

For anyone else with this problem, found an obsucre and old reference in a reference page to "Powerslide Road Hog" as a generic brake that can be added to skates with 608 and 688 size bearings.

http://www.webersports.com/store/Pow...-P1247C79.aspx

Hope this can be useful to others.

bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 02:24 PM
dabeechman

When I was first learning roller many hundreds of years ago, I didn't like the little stopper on the back because it would tend to create a pivot point and it made me go sideways.

The easiest way to check your speed going down a hill is to maneuver in an S pattern back and forth. If he is just learning, this will also really help him with his turning. You can also drag your skate behind you, perpendicular to your body, and that will also work very well.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:57 AM
timekeep

I'm wondering about the trip home, back up the steep hill.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 04:54 PM
roast

The old Bauer skates had them...or you could buy them after the fact, but if you're going down hill, they will wear out very quickly. Best, as someone else mentioned, to use the S curve idea. Where we used to play, there was a steep hill for about .5 mile...if we shot the ball over the fence, we had to go down to a busy intersection to try and catch it...not the brightest idea....

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Hank4Hart

the S pattern is the way to go... think of how you'd ice skate backwards in ice hockey, and apply that (except going forwards) for downhill roller skating

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote