HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick length/flex problem

Old
06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
hkyplayer03

vCash: 500
Stick length/flex problem

Ok I've been playing for at least 4 years now and was just advised by a high level hockey player that I should have my stick much shorter and need it to be cut significantly. I can see his point cause shots are decent,leverage is off, dangles are a bit off cause hard to get puck in my feet, and puck handling at top speed is the biggest issue.

Problem is that I use a int65 flex iglinla se16 and cutting it down to the 52" mark on the stick would make the flex 70 (Chin level with skates on). I'm about 135pounds and I can barely flex my stick 2" above the 52" mark on the stick.

I plan on experimenting between the 52" mark (chin level with skates on) and 2" below the 52" mark (2" below the chin). Here's the major question... I've been using Int sticks all the time and play in adult league. If I can't flex a shortened intermediate would you advise trying a junior composite stick? I haven't been to the stores lately but the blade and shaft is a big difference in size from int and jr right?

Any input is much appreciated here guys. I've been having such a hard time finding the right length/flex in a composite. Thanks,

Also just out of curiosity how many of you have stick lengths 2" below their chin with skates on?

Last edited by hkyplayer03: 06-14-2010 at 12:30 AM.
hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How tall are you?

Flexing 2" is a fair amount for a stick, but it depends on your technique.

Bauer makes 60 flex intermediates, or if you're interested I've got a whippy TPS intermediate shaft (47" long uncut) that takes tapered blades.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
hkyplayer03

I'm about 5'5. I'll check out the 60 int by bauer.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:12 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Mine is just below my chin on skates. If you have to cut your stick, keep in mind this will alter the flex. As far as blades go, jr's aren't all that different in size compared to sr's it's mostly the girth of the hosel (part that goes into the shaft) that's noticeably different.

--
Choosing stick length | Choosing stick flex

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:36 PM
AIREAYE

at 135, you should have no problems flexing an INT stick, I'm around your weight and I can do just well with a 77/75 flex, mind you I use SR sticks uncut. But if you flex it yourself normally and you dont feel any yielding, it doesnt mean that the stick wont perform for you. the stick flexes according to design when you SHOOT, it doesnt matter that you can/can't flex it by applying pressure. Low kickpoint stick like your SE16 are harder to 'flex' by applying pressure cuz it's kickpoint is down low, unlike a mid kp stick

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote