HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carter For a LA Goalie

Old
06-14-2010, 02:02 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
to ATL: Jeff Carter
to Phi: Ondrej Pavalec, Bryan Little, 24th overall

Atlanta then uses 8 to draft Campbell
Close. I'd consider it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
That's actually a pretty good offer for Carter.

My thoughts? Someone like Carter, who is still young, and shows he can score 50 goals in the future, has to be worth a LEGIT goaltender. Someone like Vokoun
midrange 1st + midrange 1st + high 2nd

Old
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
idoentknow*

I doubt LA will trade for Carter.

Firstly, Carter and Kopitar are both number one centers. Neither one of them will be happy being a number two center.

Secondly, even if either of them accepts the secondary center roll, they command both 7 Million*. 14 Million is too much to invest for two centers, considering LA needs premier wingers. Smyth is aging, and injury prone. Frolov is an enigma. Modin is 34.

Kopitar is at 6.8 Million. *Carter is currently paid 5 Million, but will sign around 7 Million.

idoentknow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoentknow View Post
I doubt LA will trade for Carter.

Firstly, Carter and Kopitar are both number one centers. Neither one of them will be happy being a number two center.

Secondly, even if either of them accepts the secondary center roll, they command both 7 Million*. 14 Million is too much to invest for two centers, considering LA needs premier wingers. Smyth is aging, and injury prone. Frolov is an enigma. Modin is 34.

Kopitar is at 6.8 Million. *Carter is currently paid 5 Million, but will sign around 7 Million.
Or they can switch Carter to the wing and let him take passes from Kopitar.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

I wish people would learn you dont get high end players without sending the best of 2 pieces back.

Why would L.A accept Quick when they know they could get Bernier? The will demand the better piece. If not plenty of other teams looking for a 1st line center willing to give up the pieces needed

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
TOML

Quick doesn't really solve their goaltending issues, so one would think they're after Bernier.

Tricky for LA. Carter would be a significant piece of offense to add, but Bernier on a late hot-streak probably represents LA's best shot at some real playoff damage.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
SFKingshomer

LA is not trading Quick or Bernier for a season or two.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Zeroknowledge*

I doubt LA trades Quick as they are not a rebuilding team anymore, I doubt they think Bernier is ready to play 50 games a year. He might be but we've seen it over and over again young goalies shouldn't ever be rushed.

Then again after making it to the finals I doubt Philly is looking for a prospect now, pretty sure they want a proven asset, won't make sense otherwise.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
That's what I think would happen. That way the Kings can trade or bury Williams.

Zal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
midrange 1st + midrange 1st + high 2nd
So in value terms, two late 1st?

In draft terms, that's really not much

Even as a Pens fan, I think Carter is worth MUCH more

Dylonus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Close. I'd consider it.
No way in hell. I am not sold on Pavelec AT ALL.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
idoentknow*

Quote:
That's very unrealistic.

Carter is a natural Center, I doubt he would accept playing on the wing.

Many other teams need a number one elite center in Carter, before LA needs Carter as a winger or a number two center, hence the other teams will offer more than what LA will want to offer.

Philadelphia isn't going to trade Carter, unless they get a great return.

Quick +, is not a great return. Nothing against Quick, but one year is not enough to prove that Quick will be great goaltender in the future. Philadelphia would probably give Emery another shot, before trading Carter for Quick +. Emery had some great years in Ottawa, also brought them to the Cup final in 07'.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:14 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
That's very unrealistic.

Many other teams need a number one elite center in Carter, before LA needs Carter as a winger or a number two center, hence the other teams will offer more than what LA will want to offer.

Quick +, is not a great return. Philadelphia would probably give Emery another shot, before trading Carter for Quick +.
Hasnt he played the wing before?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
idoentknow*

Quote:
Hasnt he played the wing before?
On the rare occasions? Power Play? Cluth situations? Malkin does the same in Pittsburgh, but only in those rare moments.

Once again, there are many teams who need a big number one center. They will offer way more than LA.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Zal

Quote:
On the rare occasions? Power Play? Cluth situations? Malkin does the same in Pittsburgh, but only in those rare moments.

Once again, there are many teams who need a big number one center. They will offer way more than LA.

Interesting. It's good that you know this bit of information, while others don't.

Zal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:23 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
That's very unrealistic.

Quick +, is not a great return. Nothing against Quick, but one year is not enough to prove that Quick will be great goaltender in the future. Philadelphia would probably give Emery another shot, before trading Carter for Quick +. Emery had some great years in Ottawa, also brought them to the Cup final in 07'.

I don't want any part of Quick, but Emery is done. He's gonna have problems with walking for the rest of his life. It's that bad.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
So in value terms, two late 1st?

In draft terms, that's really not much

Even as a Pens fan, I think Carter is worth MUCH more
Think Kessel's value (what TOR thought they were paying), and then add to it a by one nice piece.

8th-10th overall + 12th-15th overall + 38th-40th overall

But we don't want that all in futures. We need a young number 1 goalie, a solid third line center, and a good first round draft pick to try to select either a future #1 D-man or a future top line winger.

I'd say the first team to bend to those needs in the best possible way or to add something else that's shiny to make it worth our while would win out on Carter.

An example of the type of package I'd consider: Umberger (3rd line center) + Price (young, high-end goalie) + 10th 2010

Old
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain richie18 View Post
No way in hell. I am not sold on Pavelec AT ALL.
says the fan of the team that has goaltending juggernauts by the likes of Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton....

Pavalec with y'alls defense would be a definite upgrade over the Goaltending carousel y'all enjoyed last year. With a pourous ATL defense(thanks to ****** coaching) Pavalec held his own and showed he can be a capable starter in the NHL and keep his team in close games.

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Quick doesn't really solve their goaltending issues, so one would think they're after Bernier.

Tricky for LA. Carter would be a significant piece of offense to add, but Bernier on a late hot-streak probably represents LA's best shot at some real playoff damage.
So, Jonathan Quick who was a workhorse for the Kings last year and is entering his prime isn't the answer for a contending team but an unproven prospect in Bernier is?

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
So, Jonathan Quick who was a workhorse for the Kings last year and is entering his prime isn't the answer for a contending team but an unproven prospect in Bernier is?
Can Jonathan Quick last another 15-20 games a year? Looked pretty tired at the end of the year.

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Can Jonathan Quick last another 15-20 games a year? Looked pretty tired at the end of the year.
I don't disagree that he faded down the stretch, but 60 games out of him next year shouldn't be an issue. I believe he also struggled with an injury and his wife gave birth. Besides, you expect a young goaltender to hit the wall when he gets considerably more playing time than he's used to. Unfortunately for the Kings, Ersberg didn't exactly elicit enough confidence to spell Quick more.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Think Kessel's value (what TOR thought they were paying), and then add to it a by one nice piece.

8th-10th overall + 12th-15th overall + 38th-40th overall

But we don't want that all in futures. We need a young number 1 goalie, a solid third line center, and a good first round draft pick to try to select either a future #1 D-man or a future top line winger.

I'd say the first team to bend to those needs in the best possible way or to add something else that's shiny to make it worth our while would win out on Carter.
I doubt you can get what Boston got.

But if you want, you can take a chance on Cory Schneider and Mason Raymond. Still an underpayment for a legit #1 center with a possible career prime years of 50+50, but Raymond can be a future 25 goal scorer and Schneider has the chance to be a long term #1 goalie.

Anywho, welcome to the salary cap NHL! (and what happens when you don't tank it for 4-5 straight years )

Dylonus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

But if you want, you can take a chance on Cory Schneider and Mason Raymond. Still an underpayment for a legit #1 center with a possible career prime years of 50+50, but Raymond can be a future 25 goal scorer and Schneider has the chance to be a long term #1 goalie.

Anywho, welcome to the salary cap NHL! (and what happens when you don't tank it for 4-5 straight years )
Not a chance on that package.

And we're not even up against the Salary Cap like Boston was. We could retain Carter easily.

Honestly, I find the odds very slim that Carter is moved. All this drama is just speculation by writers and HFboard armchair GMs who think of the Trade Forum as their own personal NHL 2011 GM mode.

Old
06-14-2010, 02:36 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going5Hole View Post
I don't see you guys getting Bernier from us. He has incredible potential. I could see a Stoll/Quick for Carter however.
Hugh Jessiman had a lot of potential, too.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:36 PM
decadentia

Quote:

That's a lot of maybe's for a legit #1 goalscoring 2-way center. Take a look from the other side of the coin, no dice with that deal.

I doubt Carter goes anywhere, there's been very little proof...I think we're all simply a bit too bored.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote