HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke: No Kovalchuk for Leafs

Old
06-14-2010, 01:34 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDman View Post
I don't blame any team for not wanting any part of Kovy. For the price he's asking - he had better be one of those few players that makes others around him better. Anything more than $6M and he's not worth it IMO.
$6?

You can't be serious.

For $6 I'd ask the Flyers to sign him and move Gagne.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Jano75

It's probably just a case of Burke knowing that Kovalchuk would have absolutely no interest in going to the "hole" of the hockey world. He's just saving himself from being shot down.

July 1st your draft day? Sounds like more disappointment for laugh fans. Unless there's more Mr. Fingers out there ready to sign.

Jano75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Burke is more interested in Sharp

Quote:
The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Columbus Blue Jackets are believed to be very interested in Sharp should the Hawks decide to move him. Sharp could bring the most in return for the Hawks in terms of a high draft pick or top prospect.

"Sharp is a guy any team would love to have," a league executive said during the Stanley Cup Finals. "He might not be an elite player, but he's just a notch below. There are no flaws in his game."
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=387652&src=149

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
damn, i was hoping he would be, oh well, Bobby Ryan and Patick Marleau are nice consolation prizes
Marleau, sure.

What makes you think the Leafs will EVER get Ryan?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

maybe we should trade for stajan white and hagman

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
How was Toronto supposed to afford Kovalchuk and Rick Nash, anyways?

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Pfft. We don't have to abide by the rules. We're not some average team in some league.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano75 View Post
It's probably just a case of Burke knowing that Kovalchuk would have absolutely no interest in going to the "hole" of the hockey world. He's just saving himself from being shot down.

July 1st your draft day? Sounds like more disappointment for laugh fans. Unless there's more Mr. Fingers out there ready to sign.
What are you 10 years old? Grow up.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Dave from Vancouver

I love how we're apparently such a laughing stock, irrelevant in the hockey world now, yet these threads are invariably pages and pages of people desperate to tell us as much. Obsessed much?

Dave from Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Ace Ballsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Well, Nash was going to sign at a discount of like, $4m because he loves Toronto and was a Leafs fan growing up.

Ace Ballsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
A team that finishes second to last should be thinking like EDM. Build around Kessel and draft.. wait..

Sorry.

Maybe you should push for Kovy.
Which is it Kessel or the draft? because with out the draft picks there would be no Kessel. We can still build through the draft though. Draft picks aren't as valuable as everyone on here makes them out to be. Atleast we used the picks to get a 22 year old goal scorer who should be about 8-9 years from his prime.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:39 PM
The Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
The Leafs are an absolute mess. I see things getting slightly better for 1, maybe 2 seaons, then the wheels will come off again and the team will be worse off than it currently is.

Throwing away draft picks has abolutely decimated this franchise. They are 4 years into a rebuild and it's already time for another rebuild. You can't keep pissing away draft picks.
Burke hasn't been in office long enough to turn this team around. Last season was an absolute disappointment, and I don't think anybody anticipated we'd finish second to last. The Kessel trade was a calculated risk, there's no denying that, and it didn't work out as well as we might've hoped.

But we didn't "piss away" those draft picks.

The one part people always seem to forget about in the Kessel trade? Phil Kessel.

Let's give this a bit more time before we talk about "decimated" franchises.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
damn, i was hoping he would be, oh well, Bobby Ryan and Patick Marleau are nice consolation prizes
You mean Ryan Malone and Olli Jokinen.

It's funny, because the Leafs plan is to build through free agency, but the only teams that have success building that way, are teams with strong prospect depth and solid drafting/development and the Leafs have neither of those attributes.

Not to mention the Leafs are severely lacking forward talent and other than Marleau/Kovalchuk, there aren't really any other quality options. Kovalchuk is obviously not going to Toronto, I guess Marleau could, but he seems to really want to stay in San Jose and if he doesn't stay there, he'd probably like to stay out west.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:41 PM
bobermay

Its okay, we're going to get Patrick Marleau!

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Meganuck*

I'm guessing the Leafs will probably try and pick up guys like Armstrong, Torres & maybe a big fish like Marleau

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Its okay, we're going to get Patrick Marleau!
Ron Wilson?

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Leafs clearly are not rebuilding.

Rebuilding teams dont come out and say "JULY 1ST WILL BE OUR DRAFT DAY"
Oh for sure they are clearly over the rebuilding phase and are back into contention.

Just look to the Phil Kessel trade, a rebuilding team does not trade two first round picks away unless their sure as hell they have a chance at going for it. This was a move to push them over the top.....

But seriously, the leafs are rebuilding. Even though you took two one step forward and two steps back, its still a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Rebuilding teams dont come out and say "JULY 1ST WILL BE OUR DRAFT DAY"
No, they dont normally. But when said team has traded all of its draft picks away, Free Agency becomes the only way to rebuild the team.

I mean do you seriously believe the leafs have enough good pieces that the rebuild is done and its time to start competing again? I knew the blind love for the leafs ran deep in some, but not this deep...

Last edited by Samsquanch: 06-14-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Samsquanch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Which is it Kessel or the draft? because with out the draft picks there would be no Kessel. We can still build through the draft though. Draft picks aren't as valuable as everyone on here makes them out to be. Atleast we used the picks to get a 22 year old goal scorer who should be about 8-9 years from his prime.
Yeah but you traded away the next Stamkos in Seguin/Hall. Since you made that trade... now you gotta focus on finding picks/prospects to groom so when Kessel is in his prime... you'll be ready.

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:51 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Ron Wilson?
There has been a couple articles written months ago, saying there is no current tension between Marleau and WIlson. Marleau has said that he'd enjoy playing for Ron Wilson again, and Wilson said the same about Marleau

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StanJonathan*

Oh well put the parade on hold for one more year.

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
The Leafs are an absolute mess. I see things getting slightly better for 1, maybe 2 seaons, then the wheels will come off again and the team will be worse off than it currently is.

Throwing away draft picks has abolutely decimated this franchise. They are 4 years into a rebuild and it's already time for another rebuild. You can't keep pissing away draft picks.
Why didn't you apply for the Lightning GM, or even the Panthers?

Someone who knows everything and can predict the future would surely be more useful to them then Steve Yzerman, or Dale Tallon.

Why would you suggest its time for a re-build?
We have some strong building blocks in place, all 25 years old or younger.

The franchise hit rock bottom this past season and theres nowhere to go but up. If you really believe they wont be back in the playoffs in the next few seasons you don't watch hockey. The team has never been blown up like it was...but it was much needed to build a strong product, and thats whats happening.....slowly but surely.

re; Kovalchuk, anyone who seriously thought Brian Burke would actually entertain the idea of signing a Russian primma donna was kidding themselves. Brian Burke teams don't include one dimensional(albeit exceptional) 1 way players.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sambo View Post
Oh for sure they are clearly over the rebuilding phase and are back into contention.

Just look to the Phil Kessel trade, a rebuilding team does not trade two first round picks away unless their sure as hell they have a chance at going for it. This was a move to push them over the top.....

But seriously, the leafs are rebuilding. Even though you took two steps back and one forward, its still a rebuild.

No, they dont normally. But when said team has traded all of its draft picks away, Free Agency becomes the only way to rebuild the team.

I mean do you seriously believe the leafs have enough good pieces that the rebuild is done and its time to start competing again? I knew the blind love for the leafs ran deep in some, but not this deep...
I think you must have mis - read my post or took it out on context. I am in no way a supporter of the direction they have taken. I have been complaining about it for the past 4-5 years and I absolutely did not like the Kessel trade because I thought that we not only overpaid but it just wasnt the right time to make the deal. I was in full support of rebuilding like PITT, WASH and now EDM. What I'm saying is that by the moves Burke has made he clearly isnt going to be rebuilding, its much more like a on the fly retool and rebuilding teams certainly dont say July 1st will be there own draft day. Trust me. I'm the last person that is a Leaf homer and in no way shape or form have I been a supporter of whats been going on lately with this franchise.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:56 PM
beastly115

LOL Leafs fans can suck it.

All I've heard from them the past month has been how it makes soooo much sense for Kovy to go to the Leafs. Hahaha.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
If it was only one pick, I could see your point, but trading 3 prime picks for one player, THEN having to pay him a 5.4 mil cap hit, to me that doesn't make for good use of assets(picks and cap space). Kessel is fast and he can finish, but he isn't a guy that will elevate the play of teammates and he will never be a superstar.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 02:03 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Marleau, sure.

What makes you think the Leafs will EVER get Ryan?
we already have him, drafted 2nd round last year

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote