HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tampa Making a Strong Pitch for Price?

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
mrfan

vCash: 500
PLEASEEEE don't trade price, it will be a huge mistake!

Old
06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
habsjunkie2*

Please don't trade Halak!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be a huge mistake.

This is actually kinda funny, because anyone who has a clue knows in reality PG only has two options.

1. Keep Both
2. Trade Price

Jaro will not be moved. Teams don't normally trade their regular season and playoff MVP, especially since he helped line the Molsons pockets a little deeper with the extra games. Halak is going no where, hopefully neither is Price.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Bieber fever

PLEASEEEE don't trade Desjardins, it will be a huge mistake!

Old
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
mrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
PLEASEEEE don't trade Desjardins, it will be a huge mistake!
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post

This is actually kinda funny, because anyone who has a clue knows in reality PG only has two options.

1. Keep Both
2. Trade Price

Jaro will not be moved. Teams don't normally trade their regular season and playoff MVP, especially since he helped line the Molsons pockets a little deeper with the extra games. Halak is going no where, hopefully neither is Price.
From what I have heard, PG knows both guys can do the job, and will trade whoever gets him the best return in terms of a top 6 forward with size.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Perrah

Quote:

1. Keep Both
2. Trade Price

You cant completely ignore trading halak, if he wants long term or 4+ million a year. You can take him to arbitration but if you do that you may as well just trade him before he ups and leaves in free agency.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
You cant completely ignore trading halak, if he wants long term or 4+ million a year. You can take him to arbitration but if you do that you may as well just trade him before he ups and leaves in free agency.
He's not 27 next year either

Old
06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Andy

Quote:

1. Keep Both
2. Trade Price

I agree, but what if the flyers offer you Carter for Halak? I know not a like scenario, but it still needs to be given some thought.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Tline250

Quote:

1. Keep Both
2. Trade Price

Halak is 25, I think he's a ''feu de paille'' (don't know how to say that in English), he play over his head during 6 weeks and you compare him to the top 10 goalie in the NHL, come on, he didn't prove anything this year, many goalies in the NHL have an hot streak and after this streak they start to play normaly just like Tim Thomas last year. This year was the hot streak year of Halak.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I agree, but what if the flyers offer you Carter for Halak? I know not a like scenario, but it still needs to be given some thought.
Sure we can say these things, but we all know the likeliness that something like this materializes aren't very high, but yes, if a ridiculous offer like Carter comes you have to look at it.

Do honestly believe a deal like that would ever come to fruition. I don't and I don't think you do.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Perrah

Quote:
He's not 27 next year either
Could have swore someone said after arbitration that the person loses their RFA status, even if he doesnt you are delaying the inevitable.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tline250 View Post
Halak is 25, I think he's a ''feu de paille'' (don't know how to say that in English), he play over his head during 6 weeks and you compare him to the top 10 goalie in the NHL, come on, he didn't prove anything this year, many goalies in the NHL have an hot streak and after this streak they start to play normaly just like Tim Thomas last year. This year was the hot streak year of Halak.
English people would say something like "flash in the pan". If you're going to come up with examples, though, you should try harder than guys in their mid-30s who only played 4 NHL games before turning 31.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:20 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Who is this top 10 goalie you speak of? Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but Halak has played similar to what he did this year his entire life.

Just because you're ignorant to his situation doesn't change the facts.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Tline250

Quote:
Who is this top 10 goalie you speak of? Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but Halak has played similar to what he did this year his entire life.

Just because you're ignorant to his situation doesn't change the facts.
Halak isn't a top 10 goalie, he can't controle the rebounds, name me one of top 10 goalies int the nhl that he can't control the rebounds.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Could have swore someone said after arbitration that the person loses their RFA status, even if he doesnt you are delaying the inevitable.
I'm pretty sure that's true. But here's the thing: I think that only happens if a team/player is forced to accept an arbitrated ruling. I don't think there's anything preventing them from filing for arbitration (to protect against offer sheets), then working out a deal away from that process before any kind of verdict is reached. Pretty sure you retain RFA in that instance. Halak only has 2 more seasons before hitting UFA anyway, though, so this only really comes into play if both sides end up meeting on a 1 year deal.

Quote:
Halak isn't a top 10 goalie, he can't controle the rebounds, name me one of top 10 goalies int the nhl that he can't control the rebounds.
I think it'd be more amusing to see your list of "top 10 goalies" before we start discussing their rebound control.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:47 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Please, I've got better things to do with my time.

Old
06-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Andy

Quote:
Not sure if serious.

Old
06-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Someone just a few days ago was actually putting Halak in the top 5 goalies in the NHL Maybe I should repost the post on here...

Quote:
Thomas may be a somewhat bad example but I get your point.....and it is very much a possibility....of course, some here with pretend to know the future and tell you that your a #@#$ for saying that...

Old
06-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Based on what he did last year, right now you have to say it like this...Halak is arguably a top 10 NHL goalie, but his play next year will go a long ways towards his ranking, simply because he's only "carried the mail" for a half season and playoffs.

He is not yet at a point where he is considered better than guys like Vokoun Backstrom Kiprusoff Brodeur Miller Ward Luongo Fleury Lundqvist. Fleury had a down year but he won a cup the year before so to me he is 9th. For 10th you have guys like Nabokov Hiller Rask Thomas Halak Quick C.Mason Rinne...Price would right now be in the group after that 16-25 with guys like S.Mason, Pavelec, Niemi, Howard, Khabibulin(when healthy), Roloson, Dipietro(when healthy), Giguere and Varlamov.

Old
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
He's been outplaying Price for close to 18 months now.

Funny how people just ignore the fact that he's won everywhere he went. Unlike Price, though, he wasn't ridiculously over hyped before even playing one game in the big league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Thomas may be a somewhat bad example but I get your point.....and it is very much a possibility....of course, some here with pretend to know the future and tell you that your a #@#$ for saying that...
Funny how you don't criticize him for "knowing the future", but as soon as someone suggest that Halak just might end up being as good as Price, you're saying he's playing Nostradamus and **** like this.

Really objective of your part...

Old
06-15-2010, 02:58 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Am I the only one who thinks that trading Price for the 6th overall would be a bad move. At this slot, we're probably getting Nino or Connolly. I don't think they're worth it.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that trading Price for the 6th overall would be a bad move. At this slot, we're probably getting Nino or Connolly. I don't think they're worth it.
Neiderreiter is probably worth it. If he keeps it up and becomes a solid top-6 forward ala Shane Doan for us, it'll have been worth it.

This is a risk I'd be willing to take, even if I'd rather get a top-6 forward to help us right now.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Well, they *could be* worth it.... a few years from now. It's certainly possible. But what really are the odds? 50/50 that they are top-line point-per-game NHLers, one day...? -ish?

Carey Price is 100% an NHL player, anyway. The question for some is whether he is an NHL #1 goalie or not. To me, he is. Yes, Halak outplayed him. But Price would have been a decent #1 option, and has been already for us in the past. That to me, right there, #1 goalie, is equivalent to most point-per-game-ish NHLers. Maybe "point-per-game" isn't quite literally right anymore, since decent top-6 guys maybe only get 60 pts these days instead of an actual point-per-game. Hopefully the gist remains the same.

Some forward available at #6 probably will be an All-Star type NHL player, though. Which one? Nobody knows.

Then again, Carey Price might become more than just a decent #1 NHL goalie, he could become an elite stud #1, amongst the best in the game.

I guess when I break down the odds, 100% vs. 50%, or long odds either way of something more spectacular... the risk assessment to me is in favour of keeping Price over the #6. But I'd for sure at least understand if others chose differently.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:13 PM
scottyG

I can't belive some people would trade Price + something for the 6th overall pick

With Price we already know we have a solid #1 goalie who will get better(Cam Ward/Luongo). What's so special about the 6th overall pick?

After top 3 there is no sure players. Go look at the last 10 drafts the players chosen between 4-10 overall. Obviously some are good but a lot of them are just 2nd/3rd liners or never made the NHL

Old
06-15-2010, 03:16 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
I can't belive some people would trade Price + something for the 6th overall pick

With Price we already know we have a solid #1 goalie who will get better(Cam Ward/Luongo). What's so special about the 6th overall pick?

After top 3 there is no sure players. Go look at the last 10 drafts the players chosen between 4-10 overall. Obviously some are good but a lot of them are just 2nd/3rd liners or never made the NHL
By your reasoning, we also have Halak who is a solid #1 goalie who will get better, so why can't we trade him?

Closed Thread