HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa Making a Strong Pitch for Price?

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Not spamming, I hate to hear you guys involve Price in every deal! Halak should be the one they move unless Montreal gets a fortune for Price!

DO NOT TRADE PRICE!

Here is what I propose

To SJ - Spacek (to replace Blake) Halak (to replace nabokov)
Gives SJ the cap relief to sign Marleau as well

To Montreal

Clowe

Second trade

To Edmonton - AK SK - reunite SK with Gagne an add Ak to his other wing.
To Montreal - Penner

Sign Plekanec at 4.5

New Montreal top six

Gionta Gomez Penner
Clowe Plekanec Cammalleri

Old
06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
SpezNc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
PLease don't t trade Price!
Trading Price = Strong probabilty of making a HUGE MISTAKE

Keep Both Goalie = best case scenario... Less risky and give time to the habs management to do the right thing. Of course the value of the goalie that will eventually be trade will be a bit lower at that time but at least we reduce the risk to do a huge mistake...

For me, trading Halak by december would be the best option.

My guess is that between Halak and Price, in the trade market, Price has more value.

I might be wrong, for me Halak doesn't have the tangibles to be a goalie that a team wanna build around. He is smaller.

All the new goalies are now bigger.

Only the future will tell the truth. I might be way out. But right now, i'm telling to habs management: DON'T TRADE CAREY PRICE... againt: DON'T TRADE CAREY PRICE

Old
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Holy Puck
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lol and sigh @ ppl saying ''dont trade price'' again and again, like a mantra...
Give up the man crush already...both Halak and Price are good, trade the one with the highest return, period. If you can keep the one that has already achieved more, and has proven he can play under the pressure of the Montreal circus, i.e. Halak, keep him; otherwise, sell high, whoever it is.
Also those who want to keep both, have no clue about asset management. A goaler taht doesn't play doesn't develop, and there's no use keeping a #1 as your backup when you have plenty of other holes to fill in your roster.
I juste can't ******* wait for one of them to get traded asap so I don't have to read this crap anymore! Can't believe I am saying this but i'm hoping our next backup sucks bad because personnaly I have had it with the bipolarity of habs fan with goaltenders for the past years (Huet vs Theo, then Abi vs Huet, then Price vs Huet, then Halak vs Price...ffs)..

Old
06-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Not spamming, I hate to hear you guys involve Price in every deal! Halak should be the one they move unless Montreal gets a fortune for Price!

DO NOT TRADE PRICE!

Here is what I propose

To SJ - Spacek (to replace Blake) Halak (to replace nabokov)
Gives SJ the cap relief to sign Marleau as well

To Montreal

Clowe

Second trade

To Edmonton - AK SK - reunite SK with Gagne an add Ak to his other wing.
To Montreal - Penner

Sign Plekanec at 4.5

New Montreal top six

Gionta Gomez Penner
Clowe Plekanec Cammalleri
Halak for Clowe, and they get to keep Marleau and draft picks? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Old
06-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Lol and sigh @ ppl saying ''dont trade price'' again and again, like a mantra...
Give up the man crush already...both Halak and Price are good, trade the one with the highest return, period. If you can keep the one that has already achieved more, and has proven he can play under the pressure of the Montreal circus, i.e. Halak, keep him; otherwise, sell high, whoever it is.
Also those who want to keep both, have no clue about asset management. A goaler taht doesn't play doesn't develop, and there's no use keeping a #1 as your backup when you have plenty of other holes to fill in your roster.
I juste can't ******* wait for one of them to get traded asap so I don't have to read this crap anymore! Can't believe I am saying this but i'm hoping our next backup sucks bad because personnaly I have had it with the bipolarity of habs fan with goaltenders for the past years (Huet vs Theo, then Abi vs Huet, then Price vs Huet, then Halak vs Price...ffs)..

Please trade Price, please trade Price. I am tired of this debate as well, but I say stick with Halak. He has proved himself time and time again. He came out of relative obscurity by working his way into the NHL. Price has had his moments (Calder Cup, good first NHL season, World Jr. etc), but he should have spent some time trolling in the minors before being thrown into the fire. He had his chances and he blew it...I think he would be better in a city where he is not in the spotlight so much, such as Tampa, San Jose, L.A. etc. Either way, I wish for this to end soon. Trade one of them.....please?

Old
06-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Holy Puck
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Please trade Price, please trade Price. I am tired of this debate as well, but I say stick with Halak. He has proved himself time and time again. He came out of relative obscurity by working his way into the NHL. Price has had his moments (Calder Cup, good first NHL season, World Jr. etc), but he should have spent some time trolling in the minors before being thrown into the fire. He had his chances and he blew it...I think he would be better in a city where he is not in the spotlight so much, such as Tampa, San Jose, L.A. etc. Either way, I wish for this to end soon. Trade one of them.....please?
Hey I'm totally with ya on this one...I'm a Halak fanboy myself. I'm just trying to not be as annoying as Price's fanclub and be rational about this situation. I'd rather we keep Halak, but we have to factor in the return we'd get, regardless of who goes at some point.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Every time I see this, I wonder if the people saying it can even name a team that has had two RFA goalies as their top 2 goaltending options, let alone a single case where playing one more than the other in those early years ('cause the second guy isn't exactly kept in a box like a gimp) proved detrimental to either's development. I really need an example of when/where this lesson was learned that I should be aware of before I worry about the possible ramifications.

So, you're the first one I challenge with said scavenger hunt. Both have already played enough NHL games to get an idea of what their strengths and weaknesses are, and neither has proven that they can handle 60+ regular season games (+playoffs) a year yet, so what's the harm if either only plays 25(+/-) next year?

These two guys are only going to increase in worth over the next couple of years. It seems to me that poor asset management would be "selling" them while you still have exclusive rights to them and haven't yet reached their maximum worth. Depends on the market though, I guess. Here are links to the goalies that turn FA this year and next year:

2010 FA Goalies (sorted by cap hit)
2011 FA Goalies (sorted by cap hit)

Looks like there are actually fewer quality options likely to be on the market in 2011 (taking into account guesses as to who might be staying with their team, and thus not available... Bernier and Howard are unlikely to be moved, for example), so maybe next year (trade deadline, leading up to the draft, or whatever) would be the best time to milk the value of one of these guys.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-16-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old
06-16-2010, 08:09 PM
HomaridII

I can't wait until one gets traded so that I don't have to listen to every thread eventually turning into a Price vs Halak discussion.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Holy Puck
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Every time I see this, I wonder if the people saying it can even name a team that has had two RFA goalies as their top 2 goaltending options, let alone a single case where playing one more than the other in those early years ('cause the second guy isn't exactly kept in a box like a gimp) proved detrimental to either's development.

So, you're the first one I challenge with said scavenger hunt. Both have already played enough NHL games to get an idea of what their strengths and weaknesses are, and neither has proven that they can handle 60+ games a year yet, so what's the harm if either only plays 25(+/-) next year?

These two guys are only going to increase in worth over the next couple of years. It seems to me that poor asset management would be "selling" them while you still have exclusive rights to them and haven't yet reached their maximum worth. Depends on the market though, I guess. Here are links to the goalies that turn FA this year and next year:

Looks like there are actually fewer quality options likely to be on the market in 2011 (taking into account guesses as to who might be staying with their team, and thus not available... Bernier and Howard are unlikely to be moved, for example), so maybe next year (trade deadline, leading up to the draft, or whatever) would be the best time to milk the value of one of these guys.
Regardless of the fact it might be a good year or not to shop a goalie, do you really feel Halak or Price's value are really that low? Halak's value might be at its peak, while there is no guarantee Price's value will actually go up. There is still enough hype about Price that we could fetch a more than decent return, so why wait for either of them if we have the opportunity to improve our team? I see it more as a gamble to not trade one of them and risk selling low, like we always do. I just don't see why some people want us to be so stacked on goaltending position; many teams made it to the playoff and beyond without having two #1 goalers up there depth chart (i.e., Phillie), why can't we? And the fact they haven't done 60 games each during regular season isn't a valid argument to me. Somebody pointed out that with the Olympics, regular season and playoffs combined, Halak played more than enough that he could hold the fort for a long stretch.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
WG

I can't wait until one gets traded so that I don't have to listen to every thread eventually turning into a Price vs Halak discussion.
You think trading one will end the Price v. Halak debate? Bah Ha Ha.

I refer you to one of the 438 Latendresse threads on this board for reference.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Who ever gets traded won't stop this debate, it will rage on for the whole season next year.

Unlike the Latendresse and Pouliot debate that lasted for a while, this one will be a long one because of the age in these two players, their skill set and who does what here or elsewhere.

The debate will drag because both are Habs, and there will be criticism....we all know these boards.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:35 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Who ever gets traded won't stop this debate, it will rage on for the whole season next year.

Unlike the Latendresse and Pouliot debate that lasted for a while, this one will be a long one because of the age in these two players, their skill set and who does what here or elsewhere.

The debate will drag because both are Habs, and there will be criticism....we all know these boards.
Next year.. More like the rest of Price and Halak's careers is more like it.. Both these guys careers will be compared from now on especially if the goalie the Habs move turns into a star and the one the Habs keep turns out to be mediocre...

This situation will be nothing but a "I told you so" situation from both sides regardless of which goalie stays for years to come here...

Your last sentence is spot on...

Old
06-16-2010, 08:41 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Regardless of the fact it might be a good year or not to shop a goalie, do you really feel Halak or Price's value are really that low? Halak's value might be at its peak, while there is no guarantee Price's value will actually go up. There is still enough hype about Price that we could fetch a more than decent return, so why wait for either of them if we have the opportunity to improve our team? I see it more as a gamble to not trade one of them and risk selling low, like we always do. I just don't see why some people want us to be so stacked on goaltending position; many teams made it to the playoff and beyond without having two #1 goalers up there depth chart (i.e., Phillie), why can't we? And the fact they haven't done 60 games each during regular season isn't a valid argument to me. Somebody pointed out that with the Olympics, regular season and playoffs combined, Halak played more than enough that he could hold the fort for a long stretch.
People who want to keep both want to have their cake and eat it. People just aren't willing to sacrifice good assets to improve their team.

At some point, this is getting ridiculous to be stacked between the posts, if one of those guys can't even help u in the playoffs.

If Gauthier actually is serious about making his team a top-10 team in the league, he'll have to take that road... The more you wait, the bigger the risks are that one of them eventually loses his value.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:16 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Every time I see this, I wonder if the people saying it can even name a team that has had two RFA goalies as their top 2 goaltending options, let alone a single case where playing one more than the other in those early years ('cause the second guy isn't exactly kept in a box like a gimp) proved detrimental to either's development. I really need an example of when/where this lesson was learned that I should be aware of before I worry about the possible ramifications.

So, you're the first one I challenge with said scavenger hunt. Both have already played enough NHL games to get an idea of what their strengths and weaknesses are, and neither has proven that they can handle 60+ regular season games (+playoffs) a year yet, so what's the harm if either only plays 25(+/-) next year?

Whoever that is may still improve playing +/- 25 games... but let's not pretend it would be good for the team (overall) to have two good RFA goalies while we still have huge holes in our line-up (mostly our top6)...

we gave 3 SO to Leighton in the PO... and whoever's on the bench cannot jump on the Ice when we're struggling offensively... wich we will if we cant improve our top6...

and since the only good trade assets are in nets well...

Old
06-16-2010, 09:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
People who want to keep both want to have their cake and eat it. People just aren't willing to sacrifice good assets to improve their team.

At some point, this is getting ridiculous to be stacked between the posts, if one of those guys can't even help u in the playoffs.

If Gauthier actually is serious about making his team a top-10 team in the league, he'll have to take that road... The more you wait, the bigger the risks are that one of them eventually loses his value.
You convinced me. We should trade Halak. Sacrifice a good asset to improve the team

Old
06-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Smoke Monster

to Tampa Bay: Carey Price, Yannick Weber, Harmlik
to Montreal:Alex Hutchings, Tampa Bay Lightning 2010 first round pick 6th

Major Signings:
1.Kovalchuk(7x15yrs=$105=11.75+11.75+11.75+11+11+1 1+ 10+9+7+5+3.25+1+.5+.5+.5)
2.Tomas Plekanec(3.5x12yrs=$42=6+5.5+5+5+5+4.5+3.5+3+2.5+1 + .5+.5)
3.Jaroslav Halak(4.2x15yrs=$63=7+7+7+7+7+7+7+6.75+2.75+1.5+1+ . 5+.5+.5+.5)
4.Johnny Boychuk(2x5yrs=$10=1.75+2+2+2+2.25)
5.Eric Belanger (1.625x4yrs=$6.5=2+2+1.5+1)

Old
06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post

Major Signings:

Kovalchuk 7M$ - Gomez 7.3M$ - Gionta 5M$
Cammalleri 6M$ - Plekanec 3.5M$

30M$ just for our top 5? Are you out of your mind?

Old
06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post

Major Signings:
Pleks for 12 years? Whaaaa?

Old
06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
You convinced me. We should trade Halak. Sacrifice a good asset to improve the team
if if by trading Price we improve our team even more ?

Old
06-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

What I am curious about is the thickness of teflon coating Gauthier.

Gainey could have traded either goaltender, watched that goaltender turn into a perennial Vezina nominee elsewhere, and remained totally immune to criticism here.
The guy was a legend as a hockey player and had a compelling personal story that put his hockey moves into a certain light . I wonder how many bad moves Gauthier can run off while keeping lofty approval ratings.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

Gainey could have traded either goaltender, watched that goaltender turn into a perennial Vezina nominee elsewhere, and remained totally immune to criticism here.
The guy was a legend as a hockey player and had a compelling personal story that put his hockey moves into a certain light . I wonder how many bad moves Gauthier can run off while keeping lofty approval ratings.
Say what? If anything, I'm sick to my stomach seeing too many "**** you Gainey" posts around here.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
Lol at all the people suggesting we trade Halak. Where would we have been last season without him? Golfing!!!

Instead Halak put on some of the greatest goaltending performances in recent playoff history. He has proven time and time again that he is the more consistent goalie but people still think Price's potential is better.

I honestly feel more comfortable when Halak is in the net and would prefer Price to go. I'm sure he will go on to be a great goalie but Halak is one of those goalies you think all teams will figure out yet he keeps on winning.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

ill repeat again

the goalie market is flooded. returns like you think your gonna get aint gonna happen

such pointless debate

Old
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

From what I have heard from the guys I know in the organization is that Gauthier is tight lipped on everything, he is a person that keeps everything to himself. They have said at least Gainey would talk trade around them, they had some inkling on what was on the burner.

Gauthier beats to his own drum and what he does may surprise people within the organization, even those who are supposedly close to him management wise.

Old
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincecarder View Post
Lol at all the people suggesting we trade Halak. Where would we have been last season without him? Golfing!!!

Instead Halak put on some of the greatest goaltending performances in recent playoff history. He has proven time and time again that he is the more consistent goalie but people still think Price's potential is better.

I honestly feel more comfortable when Halak is in the net and would prefer Price to go. I'm sure he will go on to be a great goalie but Halak is one of those goalies you think all teams will figure out yet he keeps on winning.
tim thomas says hi!?

(just saying...im not price or halak sided, I dont mind I just want something big if we trade them)

Closed Thread