HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tampa Making a Strong Pitch for Price?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Max Levine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
11 mill for about 8 players.
Obviously a trade involving St-Louis wouldn't be limited to Price. On the other hand, PG has to consider trades involving Hamrlik and AK (if a winger is coming this way).

Edit: 'Long way to go' meant lots of time left to handle cap issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Yeah, I hope we can get more, for sure, but Downie is getting better. He's the kind of player you need on a top6! He's gritty, has talent and is young. Look at his past season. He can score.
I hope we can do better on the top 6.

Last edited by Max Levine: 06-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old
06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
No, trade Halak and keep Price. Simple as that.
1000% agree.... Halak is a very good goalie, but in 3 years, Price can be a Franchise goalie.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:11 PM
larek

i cant see price having any better season than what halak had last season
what is a franchise goalie?

Old
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
You can't look at it this way.

Goaltending isn't like other positions in hockey. When one guy plays, the other doesn't.

This, and Halak's progression just changes the landscape so much.

I know that, if Gainey knew how good Halak was set to become, he probably wouldn't have taken Price at #5 back in 2005.

However, things change, and now, you have the opportunity to choose a player and try to develop him into something you've lacked for many years, all that by giving a player playing at your deepest position. This is something you just CAN'T overlook. Not with two goalies of that quality.
I DO see it that way. It's like Thornton, Ovechkin, Crosby, or wtv being traded for 1st overall(hall/seguin). Same pick, but none of the teams do it, cuz that 1st overall can be the next crosby or the next patrik stefan. It is unproven. Whereas price is a proven player, and has developed into a starting goalie with franchise upside. The 6th overall we get can end up being the next Terry Ryan for us.

I understand the need to trade one of the two, but i'd rather get a proven young player with similar upside in a difference position...as I mentioned, like JVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Can you see Halak having a better season than this season? If no, then your point is moot.

Last edited by Darz: 06-14-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old
06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
1000% agree.... Halak is a very good goalie, but in 3 years, Price can be a Franchise goalie.
The whole point of the goalie debate is that "can" part. But if PG trades Price, it'll be because he's getting an excellent return.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:19 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post

Halak has a few flaws that IMO will not get much better, and it was evident against the Flyers. In the new NHL, these are pretty important skills for a goalie to have.

1) Puck Control - Halak has issues on what to do with the puck and has trouble moving it.
2) Rebound control - At the best of times, it's average, sometimes it leaves to glaring scoring opportunities.
3) Covering the puck- In the crease with player around him, Halak can't seem to locate the puck.

Overall, he is a very good goalie no doubt. You gotta love his attitude and resiliance. But when Price is on, you can just see his skill level with a guy like Broduer and Luongo.

I've never gotten that feeling with Halak. His value will never be higher either.

I would trade Halak to a west coast team.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:20 PM
LastRide

I would be willing to trade Halak if we get a great return. Otherwise I would never do it. Halak has proven this year he can be great. Price hasn't proven anything, and quite honestly I doubt he's going to be the goalie people thought he would be. I think Desjardins is the future Habs goalie. I would put my money on him rather than Price.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Haddock

TEAM990 quoting THE4thPeriod quoting Bruce Garrioch quoting his ass.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:24 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Halak has a few flaws that IMO will not get much better, and it was evident against the Flyers.
No offence but the same thing can be said about Price when the Flyers beat him in 5 back in 2007-2008 (with a 104 pts team) this is not a shot at Price btw

Old
06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
So it nothing against Price, but you totally say he is useless cause he had one start in the playoffs and that a 18 year old "may be better" than a guy who has already made the NHL and has shown he can be a #1 goalie???

Your arguments are so flawed = fail, massively.
I'd be ready to trade either one for the 6th overall pick, just like any single team in the league would deal their 2nd goalie for the 6th overall pick. You're the one always looking to prove how the Habs organization should look into trading Halak and keep Price, or else they're idiots, because Bowman said so.

To me, having those two guys is useless. We might have less depth, but at least, we'll get an asset likely to help us for a full season. I ideally would like us to get a physical top-6 forward, but you can get something GREAT with that 6th overall pick. Special players.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Tline250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Price
Gomez
Hamrlik

vs

Lecavalier
1st
+ a little something

Someone had to say it.
I'll never do this trade

Old
06-14-2010, 03:38 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
TEAM990 quoting THE4thPeriod quoting Bruce Garrioch quoting his ass.
Exactly! Useless.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tline250 View Post
I'll never do this trade
Why? It's essentially:

Gomez+Hamrlik

VS

Lecavalier

Price

VS

6th overall+"a little something"

Old
06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Tline250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why? It's essentially:

Gomez+Hamrlik

VS

Lecavalier

Price

VS

Lecavalier Is an overhyped player (worst contract in the nhl), who take the spot of hamerlik at defence and the 6th pick overall can be a bust remember alex daigle.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Aurel Joliat

Price+Desharnais for Malone+Downie

Old
06-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Tline250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Price+Desharnais for Malone+Downie
ahah i hope you are joking

Old
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Why? It's essentially:

Gomez+Hamrlik

VS

Lecavalier

Price

VS

Yeah, i agree with this. We're already looking to dump hammer at any cost. In any other trade where we try to get rid of hammer, we're taking back some salary. Here we're basically exchaning (cap wise) gomez and lecavalier and dumping hamrlik on them for free.

I might have a problem with the second part, depending on what 'a little something' is. I haven't paid enough attention to the top 10 projected rankings for this draft because i usually only pay attention to what we can get.

Who knows? Maybe it's all a ploy to get couturier if the habs think the lightning will be the worst team in the league.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Lecavalier Is an overhyped player (worst contract in the nhl), who take the spot of hamerlik at defence and the 6th pick overall can be a bust remember alex daigle.
lol, yah, but lecavalier is a better player than gomez. he's a big center. I don't care about him being french but hes better than gomez. We get rid of hamrlik without taking salary back. Who will take hamrlik's spot? well, who will play second line center if we keep hamrlik?

Old
06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
No offence but the same thing can be said about Price when the Flyers beat him in 5 back in 2007-2008 (with a 104 pts team) this is not a shot at Price btw
No offence taken.

But how old was Price then, 20? Talk about all the weight on the world on his young shoulders. It's another example of the team not developing their players properly, but that's for another thread.

Price's flaws back in 2007-2008 can be attributed to maturity, which will happen as he matures, but from a skill perspective IMO, Price will turn out to be the better goalie and Halak's value may never be higher.

Hey of Scotty Bowman tells you not to trade someone, I think his 11 cups trump all of us on these boards put together!

Old
06-14-2010, 03:50 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
lol, yah, but lecavalier is a better player than gomez. he's a big center. I don't care about him being french but hes better than gomez. We get rid of hamrlik without taking salary back. Who will take hamrlik's spot? well, who will play second line center if we keep hamrlik?
Gionta without Gomez: about 0,28 GPG
Gionta with Gomez: almost 0,50 GPG

Gionta and Gomez are here to stay. Lecavalier really is overrated. And unlike Gomez, he's still got more than 10 years to his contract.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
I don't think he's overhyped, he's overpaid sure but so is Gomez and frankly for a similar cap hit I take Vinny any time... Gomez is interesting for the Bolts though because the way his contract is structured, while he remains on a 7.3 cap hit, he gonna be paid 4 (4.5?) millions in coldcash in 2 years.

Hamrlik is done and we need to get rid of his contract. Who takes his spot? Well, first you move Spacek on the left side and pair him with RD Pernell Karl Subban.

PLUS, I really like the potential of "a little something", might be another Gorges right there

Old
06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Gionta without Gomez: about 0,28 GPG
Gionta with Gomez: almost 0,50 GPG

Gionta and Gomez are here to stay. Lecavalier really is overrated. And unlike Gomez, he's still got more than 10 years to his contract.
Lecavalier, if it were for his shoulder surgery, would be top 10 Center in league or better. He needs to regain his strenght which he will do this summer probably.

In the last 4 seasons, Gomez has 55 goals. In 2006-07 alone, lecavalier had 52. I'm not a lecavalier homer, I don't care that much. But he's clearly a better player than gomez by a mile and he serves a need, a big center.

Don't care how many goals gionta makes with gomez, he'll prob make more points with lecavalier anyway.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:01 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
I don't think he's overhyped, he's overpaid sure but so is Gomez and frankly for a similar cap hit I take Vinny any time... Gomez is interesting for the Bolts though because the way his contract is structured, while he remains on a 7.3 cap hit, he gonna be paid 4 (4.5?) millions in coldcash in 2 years.

Hamrlik is done and we need to get rid of his contract. Who takes his spot? Well, first you move Spacek on the left side and pair him with RD Pernell Karl Subban.

PLUS, I really like the potential of "a little something", might be another Gorges right there
do you live in quebec?

He's a decent player for his salary, nothing mind blowing. In the exchange i think we'd lose a player with a great attitude (gomez) for a tougher, bigger body.

ALso, lecav doesn't wantsto come here and he has a NTC, doesn't he?

Old
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
hahah the countdown is on until HFBoards explodes into pieces
tick tock tick tock

Really... why wouldnt TB want Halak.. I mean he made it to the third round of the playoffs and Price didnt....
That should tell everyone wanting to keep Halak instead of Price something. Other teams are trying to steal Price and people SHOULD ask why. If Halak is in less demand, alarm bells should ring. DON'T push Price out of town.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
odishabs

Malone and 2010 1st rounder

for

Price and Hamrlik

Closed Thread