HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa Making a Strong Pitch for Price?

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

vCash: 500
Eventhough id never trade Price, if TB proposes something like Price (+Something) for Malone and 6th overall, im sold.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Holy Puck
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Price + Hamrlik

for

Malone + Downie

I wouldn't even talk to the Lightning unless they started with a proposal like this.

The money works out pretty decent, Tampa gets a veteran defensemen for Hedman to learn from, they get a #1 goalie and Montreal gets 2 big, gritty wingers that can play on the top 2 lines and Subban fills Hamrliks spot on defence and gives us another right-handed shot.
This deal makes me drool. Our 2nd line would be set, if we find someone to center it, that is.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
That should tell everyone wanting to keep Halak instead of Price something. Other teams are trying to steal Price and people SHOULD ask why. If Halak is in less demand, alarm bells should ring. DON'T push Price out of town.
I would move Halak for two reasons. He has to have higher trade value than Price right now because of his playoff performance, which would mean a higher return. Second, both are RFA, but Halak will command a higher salary than Price because of his performance, and because Price has zero bargaining power right now, which matters quite a bit to a team so tight up against the cap.

When I look at the past regular season, regardless of who was in net, goaltending was way down the list of problems facing this team. Move Halak, get a good return, and plug the holes on this team that need plugging.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Do Not Trade Price.

Trade Halak.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Holy Puck
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Halak has a few flaws that IMO will not get much better, and it was evident against the Flyers. In the new NHL, these are pretty important skills for a goalie to have.

1) Puck Control - Halak has issues on what to do with the puck and has trouble moving it.
2) Rebound control - At the best of times, it's average, sometimes it leaves to glaring scoring opportunities.
3) Covering the puck- In the crease with player around him, Halak can't seem to locate the puck.

Overall, he is a very good goalie no doubt. You gotta love his attitude and resiliance. But when Price is on, you can just see his skill level with a guy like Broduer and Luongo.

I've never gotten that feeling with Halak. His value will never be higher either.

I would trade Halak to a west coast team.
I'll agree with the rebound part...for the covering the puck part though, I'd say this is one of Halak's best strengths. There's just so many saves highlights vs Pit and Was that proves this point wrong.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I DO see it that way. It's like Thornton, Ovechkin, Crosby, or wtv being traded for 1st overall(hall/seguin). Same pick, but none of the teams do it, cuz that 1st overall can be the next crosby or the next patrik stefan. It is unproven. Whereas price is a proven player, and has developed into a starting goalie with franchise upside. The 6th overall we get can end up being the next Terry Ryan for us.

I understand the need to trade one of the two, but i'd rather get a proven young player with similar upside in a difference position...as I mentioned, like JVR.

Can you see Halak having a better season than this season? If no, then your point is moot.
What is it that JVR has proven?

Old
06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
What is it that JVR has proven?
More than the 6th overall pick.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Max et Guillaume

Pardon the ignorance, but why all the love for Malone, a 30 yr old who exceeded 50 pts once while playing with Crosby?

Old
06-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
I would move Halak for two reasons. He has to have higher trade value than Price right now because of his playoff performance, which would mean a higher return. Second, both are RFA, but Halak will command a higher salary than Price because of his performance, and because Price has zero bargaining power right now, which matters quite a bit to a team so tight up against the cap.

When I look at the past regular season, regardless of who was in net, goaltending was way down the list of problems facing this team. Move Halak, get a good return, and plug the holes on this team that need plugging.
I totally agree with that and that is why I believe Jaro will be moved. I would add that Habs management must be quite happy that Halak's value is higher as it really seemed they were 'voting' to keep Price.

Old
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
hahah the countdown is on until HFBoards explodes into pieces
tick tock tick tock

Really... why wouldnt TB want Halak.. I mean he made it to the third round of the playoffs and Price didnt....
Quote:
so has penner

Old
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
That should tell everyone wanting to keep Halak instead of Price something. Other teams are trying to steal Price and people SHOULD ask why. If Halak is in less demand, alarm bells should ring. DON'T push Price out of town.
You have no idea who wants what. Perhaps Gauthier said Halak isn't on the table, all we can do is speculate. Maybe he's asking for too much, who knows.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
so has penner
Except penner is getting paid full value. JVR is on ELC and doesn't turn UFA anytime soon. Not to mention, a higher upside? I know it wasn't a real arguement, but still, there's a reason why JVR would be useful to us more than Malone or Penner.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
So has Arron Asham. JVR has proven very little himself, kind of a contradictory statement to not want the 6th overall pick because it's unproven, but you would be all over JVR.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
**** no.

Price

for

TB 1st
Downie

And i'll listen
Yzerman isn't a man who appreciates getting spun around and receive the no-pants dance.

Whatever we get for Price is going to be equal at best. I'd say the #6 pick alone is a stretch, but there won't be a very good player like Downie with it.

And why does everyone want to put the Kostitsyns in every trade like they suck? I personally hope the bros stay.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Yzerman isn't a man who appreciates getting spun around and receive the no-pants dance.

Whatever we get for Price is going to be equal at best. I'd say the #6 pick alone is a stretch, but there won't be a very good player like Downie with it.

And why does everyone want to put the Kostitsyns in every trade like they suck? I personally hope the bros stay.
Agreed. Well SK, I would be fine with moving. AK, I would keep. If he hits his stride he's an absolute bargain at his price. 25-30G for 3.7, I like.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but why all the love for Malone, a 30 yr old who exceeded 50 pts once while playing with Crosby?
Cause he's tough, big, gritty, good fighter and will go in front of the net. Personally, I'd rather go with playmakers or snipers on the 1st two lines but some seem to think we have enough talent.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Except penner is getting paid full value. JVR is on ELC and doesn't turn UFA anytime soon. Not to mention, a higher upside? I know it wasn't a real arguement, but still, there's a reason why JVR would be useful to us more than Malone or Penner.
So why would Philly deal him?

Old
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
So has Arron Asham. JVR has proven very little himself, kind of a contradictory statement to not want the 6th overall pick because it's unproven, but you would be all over JVR.
How was the 6th overall's rookie year in the NHL? JVR already made it, and there's no reason to believe he won't improve. The 6th overall hasn't and probably is years away from being ready as well.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Andy

Quote:
Agreed. Well SK, I would be fine with moving. AK, I would keep. If he hits his stride he's an absolute bargain at his price. 25-30G for 3.7, I like.
Even better than 3.7...3.25. I agree with keeping Andrei because I love his talent, I just wish we'd be patient for a little longer, though i really feel like he will be gone. he's playing the wrong role over here.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Cause he's tough, big, gritty, good fighter and will go in front of the net. Personally, I'd rather go with playmakers or snipers on the 1st two lines but some seem to think we have enough talent.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything he does during a game and is a great 2nd-3rd line guy, but to consider trading Price or Halak for him is beyond ridiculous IMO...

I fully agree with your last sentence...

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
They probably wouldn't, unless they want Price or Halak badly. Just saying, rather target a young guy with 1st line potential(who is in the NHL) rather than a pick who may not even make NHL.

Old
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Because their goalies all ****

Old
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Halak has a few flaws that IMO will not get much better, and it was evident against the Flyers. In the new NHL, these are pretty important skills for a goalie to have.

1) Puck Control - Halak has issues on what to do with the puck and has trouble moving it.
2) Rebound control - At the best of times, it's average, sometimes it leaves to glaring scoring opportunities.
3) Covering the puck- In the crease with player around him, Halak can't seem to locate the puck.

Overall, he is a very good goalie no doubt. You gotta love his attitude and resiliance. But when Price is on, you can just see his skill level with a guy like Broduer and Luongo.

I've never gotten that feeling with Halak. His value will never be higher either.

I would trade Halak to a west coast team.

1) Puck Control isn't everything. The Hawks won the cup and Niemi hardly ever left the crease to play the puck, the D was always coming back for the puck.
2) Rebound control is overrated too. Halak can usually control where he's putting the rebounds and by not freezing the puck allows the Habs to use their transition game and speed instead of trying to win the faceoff in your own end....something we're not that great at.
3) Halak had pretty good luck finding the pucks in or around his crease that he needed to cover in the playoffs.

These are all things that a goalie can improve on the more hockey he plays.

Also....comparing Price to Brodeur doesn't mean anything either. Brodeur is overrated and if it wasn't for playing behind the sound defensive system of the Devils for his whole career, he wouldn't have the success he had.

There are important things that Halak brings to the game that Price just doesn't have yet, and may never have.....like a strong mental game. The ability to forget about the last goal you let in and bouncing back to keep your team in the game is something Halak has shown he is good at his whole career so far....especially this season. Also, Halak is much more consistant when he plays that Price is. Halak can consistantly average 2 goals against a game and make 20-50 saves a night where Price will have a great game 1 night and then let in 6 goals the next.....or at least thats what he's shown so far in his career.

I think its pretty simple what the Habs need to do. Keep Halak and let him progress by playing 60 games a season, bring in a good backup goalie to help him out....trade Price because his value is high and we'll get a good return by moving him. We've seen that Halak can carry the team on his back at time, wait til he plays more games and gets more confident and he'll be even better. Honestly, I don't see Price turning his career around in the spotlight of Montreal. I think he needs a fresh start in another city....so trade him to a team needing a #1 goalie and get a top 6 player in return, since thats what we need.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
**** Steve Downie.
Last TB-Price thread, you said Downie was awesome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
If it's 6th Overall I want some Derek Forbort up in hur
If we get this pick, I prey that one of Fowler/Gudbranson/Gormley drop just ONE spot, and the trade is worth it.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:46 PM
habdynasty

If Yzerman and Boucher want Price the habs better hold onto him for a least a couple more seasons. He is too young to let go.

Closed Thread