HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's up with WHA?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 12:31 PM
pei fan

vCash: 500
What's up with WHA?

I've heard talk about the WHA starting up but is there anything official on this
and what stage are they at?

Old
05-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
I'm pretty sure they have 4 teams (Dallas just got one I think), they need 6 to start, but they plan on being ready for the fall.

Old
05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
SkoulasOut4theSummer

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net

Seven franchises will take to the ice in 2004-05

The founders of the World Hockey Association today announced the formation of the new league with the registration of seven ownership groups.

The ownership groups are represented by the following individuals or groups:

Jean-Paul Boily - Québec
Gino Naldini & John Marshall - Toronto
Rick Munro & Ricky Smith - Vancouver or Dallas
Jay Patel - Detroit (Pontiac)
Dan Krusz - Tim Lovell - Miami
John Tyson - John Marshall - Halifax
Mario Frankovich - Hamilton

The founders are also close to an agreement with a franchise group in Montréal.

Advanced lease negotiations are proceeding in the following venues: Le Colisée Pepsi in Québec; SkyDome in Toronto; either GM Place in Vancouver or Reunion Arena in Dallas; the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI; Miami Arena; and the Metro Centre in Halifax.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:00 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasuk21
http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net

Seven franchises will take to the ice in 2004-05

The founders of the World Hockey Association today announced the formation of the new league with the registration of seven ownership groups.

The ownership groups are represented by the following individuals or groups:

Jean-Paul Boily - Québec
Gino Naldini & John Marshall - Toronto
Rick Munro & Ricky Smith - Vancouver or Dallas
Jay Patel - Detroit (Pontiac)
Dan Krusz - Tim Lovell - Miami
John Tyson - John Marshall - Halifax
Mario Frankovich - Hamilton

The founders are also close to an agreement with a franchise group in Montréal.

Advanced lease negotiations are proceeding in the following venues: Le Colisée Pepsi in Québec; SkyDome in Toronto; either GM Place in Vancouver or Reunion Arena in Dallas; the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI; Miami Arena; and the Metro Centre in Halifax.
is it just me or is anyone else puzzled by the van/dallas team ..... not saying the fans don't deserve a team cause i'd be an idiot to say that, just that every other team is pretty much close together... then you have a big leap to either van or dallas.... now if there were more teams between to bridge the gap so to speak it wouldn't be quite as puzzling to me

Old
05-18-2004, 01:02 PM

I myself don't have much faith in it at this point.

The first two franchises were named to Minnesota and Phoenix, now you don't hear the name of either city, let alone being a sure bet like they originally said.

It just doesn't have the legs to stand up on it's own because it largely depends on the NHL's CBA holdout, if there is one. The WHA won't last a year if there is a NHL season next year, that is my opinion.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:20 PM
K215215

Miami franchise in Miami Arena...I thought they were demolishing it? Anyone know the details?

Old
05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
MagnusJondus
Faneca meets Stanley

I can't say how I did it, but I was fortunate to come across a WHA information packet that I believe was to be sent out to prospective owners and/or their legal team. I didn't steal it or anything but had time to leaf through it a bit. This was a couple months ago so I don't remember everything, but there were a few things I can relay of interest. Also, keep in mind that this info may have been just propositional and not final.

First, the very first line read their intended goal. The wording had alot to do with the failure of the NHL to bring an exciting and economically viable product to true hockey fans. The WHA's credo was to construct a league that succeeds in areas where the NHL has failed.

Secondly, they have a $10 mil. salary cap proposed. Each team will also be able to name 1 franchise player which will allow them to exceed the cap in some way.

Third, there was a map of the world with the destinations of potential franchises. Incredibly enough, their long-term goal is to put teams as far as Eastern Europe into the league. Russia may have been on there also, but if so it was the western-most region.

Fourth, rule changes. I can't quite remember which ones, but I recall some of them being extreme. Maybe cutting out the red-line or 4-on-4 hockey all the time. Should have wrote it down. I just remember that they were planning on making a serious effort to open up the game.

Fifth, this is where it gets really hazy, but there was something in there about the league allocating players to different markets in the first year. I remember think of Major League Soccer in this aspect. The WHA would sign many of the key players and then place them into the markets they choose. Something like that. Not a true free agency system nor a draft if I recall correctly.

If I think of anything else I'll post it later. I was really shocked to see this info as I don't believe it has been released to the media yet.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Seachd

Their site says this:

"It is expected that players from this year’s entry level draft plus those selected in the past two NHL drafts, but unsigned, could make up almost one-third of WHA rosters."

Are they getting ahead of themselves? Can we really expect that a bunch of 17/18 year olds, just drafted by NHL teams, would spend the season in the WHA?

Old
05-18-2004, 02:24 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
...It just doesn't have the legs to stand up on it's own because it largely depends on the NHL's CBA holdout, if there is one. The WHA won't last a year if there is a NHL season next year, that is my opinion.
I agree with that. The bad thing is the WHA might get just what they need, a year or two of no NHL.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

If it's good hockey then I don't care. I have no particular loyalty to the NHL.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
If it's good hockey then I don't care. I have no particular loyalty to the NHL.
I agree with that, and it could also prompt the NHL to change the way they are doing things enough to make that league better as a result.

It seems to me that historically when you get a monopoly of any kind it generally tends to weaken the product because there isn't as much competition. The NHL is a hockey monopoly in North America, with no other pro league competiting with it. This is fairly common in all walks of business anymore unfortunately, we live in a world of mergers.

The original WHA had an impact on the way hockey is played today, but we saw things come and go like the XFL with very little impact on it's sport.

Old
05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Do they have a TV contract yet?

Old
05-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I haven't heard anything about one yet, so I assume not. Don't rightly know, though.

Old
05-18-2004, 08:12 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
From this article, New WHA puts Chicago on hold,

Quote:
A more exciting brand of hockey might help the league get its games on TV. The WHA is negotiating with cable sports networks, and Young said Fox Sports Net could be a player for U.S. market teams.

Old
05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Fedz

Quote:
May 16, 2004

Entry Level Draft Preview

Although it is expected Rimouski Océanic centre Sidney Crosby will be the first player chosen in the WHA Entry Level Draft on July 10, you can expect that Moscow Dynamo star Alexander Ovechkin will not be far behind.

Like the original World Hockey Association the new WHA will allow 17-year-olds to play. Crosby, who turns 17 in August, could follow in the footsteps of Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier who both turned professional in the WHA at the age of 17 with the Indianapolis Racers.

Both genuine NHL stars the following season, Gretzky finished his first pro season with the Edmonton Oilers – scoring 46 goals and 110 points - while Messier went on to the Cincinnati Stingers.

It is expected that players from this year’s entry level draft plus those selected in the past two NHL drafts, but unsigned, could make up almost one-third of WHA rosters.

Only one year removed from high school, the Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia native would be a natural for the Halifax entry in the WHA. But his impact at the gate would also make Crosby extremely attractive in the hockey hotbeds of Toronto and Detroit. Crosby will have to choose between another year of junior with the Océanic and a lucrative year in the WHA before he becomes eligible for the NHL draft.

Ovechkin and the others selected in the NHL draft will also have difficult decisions to make if they are also drafted by WHA teams. They can hope for a guaranteed NHL contract this summer and no work stoppage next fall, stay in junior, or play professionally in the WHA.

The hockey operations departments in many of the WHA cities are already targeting certain junior prospects. Detroit definitely has an interest Michigan State University blue liner A.J. Thelen. A projected first round NHL pick, Thelen scored 11 goals and added 18 assists in 41 games this past season.

Left wing David Booth, a fellow Spartan, could also get the opportunity to stay close to his friends on campus. Booth played in only 29 games this season but still finished with 8 goals and 10 assists.

Four University of Michigan standouts will also attract significant attention from the Detroit WHA franchise. Outstanding goaltender Al Montoya, forwards T.J. Hensick and Mike Brown, and defenceman Matt Hunwick are sure to attract attention at the draft table.

Halifax will likely be targeting a number of Québec Major Junior League stars. Halifax Mooseheads goaltender Jason Churchill may get a chance to turn pro at age 19 and his teammate, forward Jan Steber should also garner attention.

Bruce Graham, a 6-foot-6, 220 pound centre from the Moncton Wildcats is likely to catch the eye of the Halifax brass as will P.E.I. Rocket right wing David Laliberté.

The Toronto Toros will have a couple of outstanding local puck stoppers from which to chose. David Shantz of the Mississauga Ice Dogs and Justin Peters of the Toronto St. Michael’s Majors could both be drafted by the Toros.
http://www.worldhockeyassociation.ne.../top_story.htm

Old
05-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Artyukhin*

guys ,
the toronto team is destined to fail if they think the skydome is the answer?

wow
maybe if the leafs play in the skydome, im sure it would be sold out every game but come on?

doesnt the old maple leaf gardens seem a better chioce?

is it still functional in any manor?
or did they gut her insides?

i mean people could bring there own lawn chairs is they need too.
anywhere but skydome

skydome= failure!!!!

now maybe a "hertiage classic" type of game, a one shot deal might draw big intrest

but not the wha .

jmho

Old
05-18-2004, 09:02 PM
PinkFloydLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
guys ,
the toronto team is destined to fail if they think the skydome is the answer?

wow
maybe if the leafs play in the skydome, im sure it would be sold out every game but come on?

doesnt the old maple leaf gardens seem a better chioce?

is it still functional in any manor?
or did they gut her insides?

i mean people could bring there own lawn chairs is they need too.
anywhere but skydome

skydome= failure!!!!

now maybe a "hertiage classic" type of game, a one shot deal might draw big intrest

but not the wha .

jmho
The Gardens is still there. Apparently a decision will be made very soon to turn it into a Shopping Centre or Big ass grocery store or something like that.

The owner of the Senators is a Toronto boy who wants to buy it and keep it a hockey rink, but with 10000 seats or something like that and let the kids of Toronto use it as a rink to skate on and play shinny.

The Leafs don't want to sell it to the Sens owner as they feel he will probably use it to steal away potential concerts, events,etc, even though he has stated he will sign an agreement that says otherwise.

I hope this answers your questions. The decision is supposed to be made in June.Seems like an easy answer to me.

EDIT - Here's a link to his Statement regarding the Gardens

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...318&id=3034659

Last edited by PinkFloydLives: 05-18-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old
05-18-2004, 09:10 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

MLSE wouldn't sell the Gardens to EUUUUUGene Melnyk to house the junior St Mike's team, they sure as hell wouldn't sell to someone to play home to the WHA franchise, though That would be a great laugh at Harold Ballard's expense if they did. Harold Ballard squeezed John Bassett out of the Maple Leafs ownership group; Bassett got a Toronto franchise in the WHa and Ballard charged him and arm and a leg to rent the MLG for his team.

Closed Thread