Notices

Deep Thoughts

Old
06-14-2010, 08:37 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Deep Thoughts

Seriously this is what it's come to for me...thoughts, ideas, etc. that I somehow can extend out into long blog entries.

Slitting my own throat here:

- I know there's been some discussion here about the center position for the Latendresse/Havlat duo. We look at the success Havlat had with Dave Bolland and what Kyle Brodziak did for that line (besides flub away prime scoring chances with his stone hands) and it dawned on me. The answer is this guy:

He's got grit, he's got the hands, he's responsible in all three zones. The issue here is experience and strength, but he's got a history of picking things up quickly, so that makes me wonder if he's capable of making the jump sooner than later.

- Two players to watch for free agency: Ville Leino and Patrick O'Sullivan. Look what Leino did in a top 6 role for Philly (where he needs to play) and Edmonton might buy out O'Surly (or he could be had on the cheap)...but the Oil are a terrible team in a terrible town with a terrible arena with terrible fans. He was successful in LA, and I wonder if he just needs a change in scenery. He's got to be a better option on Bruno and Koivu's line than Miettinen...

- To add to the excitement for the Draft: it looks like we have a commitment to development now, so at least these picks we'll make have a fighting chance. Yes, I'm looking at you Doug Risebrough, as I write this.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Could be Almond, those two seem to like a worker bee on their line (just someone other than no-hands Brodziak, God love him, he just shouldn't be on that line). And the best part about Almond is that he is still improving rather than peaking at 19 years old like some other players...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Gilles - Almond - Kassian was Constantines go to lines for the several games I went to in Rockford and Chicago. Whenever he wanted something done, that was the line that was out there.

I wouldn't be shy from keeping Almond around to slot into the 2nd line center when Bouchard fails.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:01 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

-Interesting take on Almond. Need to think about that one...

-I would love if Fletcher could try to get Leino.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:07 AM
nickschultzfan

Honestly, considering the type of player he is, I thought Brodziak did GREAT on Lats and Havlat's line.

Last season, I watched him very closely when he was on that line and how he was producing. He was far and away a better center than Ebett was. His big body and decent skill worked well with Lats shooting and Havlat's play making.

Brodziak won't ever be a top-6 center. But he was producing at about a 55-point pace during those game when he was with Lats and Havlat.

Give him an entire year on that line, and some further maturity, and Brodziak might turn into a solid, two-way 45 point 3rd line center.

Of course, we should still look for an upgrade if available.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:28 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Honestly, considering the type of player he is, I thought Brodziak did GREAT on Lats and Havlat's line.

Last season, I watched him very closely when he was on that line and how he was producing. He was far and away a better center than Ebett was. His big body and decent skill worked well with Lats shooting and Havlat's play making.

Brodziak won't ever be a top-6 center. But he was producing at about a 55-point pace during those game when he was with Lats and Havlat.

Give him an entire year on that line, and some further maturity, and Brodziak might turn into a solid, two-way 45 point 3rd line center.

Since budget/cap is a issue right now and if we couldnt get another Center i would feel comfortable with Brods as a second line Center

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
mnwildgophers

I'm not comfortable with Brodz as a 2nd line center, and Almond could very well develop to be a 2nd line center as he is one of our more intriguing prospects, but I think he needs to stay in the AHL for the majority of next year. It will be crucial for Almond as he was hurt last year and only played about 40-something games. It will be an interesting year.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I still think if Bouchard can't play 2nd line center him on the third line with Kobasew would be a great pairing. With Wellman between them we could actually roll three pretty decent lines.

Old
06-15-2010, 09:27 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I also wouldn't be opposed to having our fourth line be Gillies - Almond - Kassian.

If we aren't re-signing a tough guy, Kassian will be a league minimum player and he's a tough middle weight. Faster than Boogaard or Scott, but with the hands of Brodziak.

I was very impressed (had my review posted on the Third Intermission) with that line in the Aeros away games I went to. They were solid. Crap for offense, but solid defensively.

Oh, and if anyone doesn't know, Noreau is absolutely *not* NHL ready. Sure, he put up a lot of points at the beginning of the Aeros season, but he looked like a scared kid out there when they were late in the season. I just don't see a smallish, non-physical defender making the team when we have Falk and Scandella pushing for that last spot.

Old
06-15-2010, 12:26 PM
se7en
infamous...

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland but instead I took him to an old burned out warehouse. "Oh no!" I said, "Disneyland burnt down!" He cried & he cried... but deep down I think he thought it was a pretty funny joke too. I started to drive him over to the real Disneyland but it was getting pretty late..."

ohhhhh wait, we're not talking about Jack Handy!? In that case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I still think if Bouchard can't play 2nd line center him on the third line with Kobasew would be a great pairing. With Wellman between them we could actually roll three pretty decent lines.
I'll support this idea, but I've heard many times that we can't put PMB on the 3rd line, I think it would work too...

Is it a bad idea to put PMB between Lats & Havlat? Wouldn't that be an ideal spot for him (assuming he's healthy & can play center)

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
So you'd bump Clutter down to the 4th line?

I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't see TR making that move. If the roster doesn't change, I think they're going to try Butch as a 2nd line center, and if he doesn't fit, they'll put him on the 3rd line - still as a center - between Kobasew and Clutter.

Unless Butch absolutely blows us away as a 2nd line center, I'd bet anything he ends up with Clutterbuck. Those two are made for each other. An overly physical winger and a physically worthless/small playmaker? Put an average shooter (Kobasew) on the other wing, and you've got an OK line on paper.

I just don't see where Butch fits on the current roster as anything other than a center. We have too many other fringe wingers who make more sense on higher lines than he does - to me anyway.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:07 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I'll be pissed if we get back our prospect that we traded for Demitra lol.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I'll be pissed if we get back our prospect that we traded for Demitra lol.
It's the CIRRRCCCLLLEEEE of life....

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Bouchard can't play second line center, I'd imagine it's because he can't play center period, in which case I'd put him with Kobasew. Bouchard holds on to the puck very well and is always looking to center it, but if he's playing with say Clutterbuck and Brodziak, Clutter would be nowhere near the net just hitting everything that moves and Brodziak would fumble the puck and skate past the net. Kobasew at least would drive to the net and has hands enough to get a shot on net.

But Bouchard centering those two would be interesting.

Old
06-15-2010, 03:06 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

They'd leave every FO without the puck.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 03:58 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

When Chucky was healthy, I did like the 3rd line of Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Kobasew quite a bit.

He's an in-house option, and I'm sure at some point we'll see it again.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
If Bouchard can't play second line center, I'd imagine it's because he can't play center period, in which case I'd put him with Kobasew. Bouchard holds on to the puck very well and is always looking to center it, but if he's playing with say Clutterbuck and Brodziak, Clutter would be nowhere near the net just hitting everything that moves and Brodziak would fumble the puck and skate past the net. Kobasew at least would drive to the net and has hands enough to get a shot on net.

But Bouchard centering those two would be interesting.
I get that, and I generally agree.

I just don't see how someone like Clutterbuck fits where TR seems to want him (3rd line) if Butch gets put on the wing.

I'm spitballing here, but here's how I'd see things shaking down. I hate making lines, but it's the best way to illustrate my point...

Koivu's line
Lats/Butch/Havlat
X*/Brodziak/Clutterbuck or Kobasew
anyone/Almond?/Clutterbuck or Kobasew

X = possibly Clutter or Kobasew playing out of position? Do we have any LW'ers that are going to be fighting for a spot next year?

If Butch doesn't work:

Koivu's line
Lats/Brodz or Almond?/Havlat
X*/Almond or Brodz?/Kobasew, Clutter or Butch
anyone/anyone/Kobasew or Clutter

X = same as above, add in Butch possibly playing out of position at LW

I'm not counting any of our College kids, solely because we have no idea if they'll be on the roster next year.

So, if Butch can't play 2nd or 3rd line center, we're stuck with 3 RW's to play the bottom 2 RW spots, and none of them belong on the 4th line... And we're still without a real 2nd line center... And one of them would likely end up playing out of position to fit on the 3rd line.

Ouch...

That hurt to type, I can only imagine it hurt to read, sorry folks...

Old
06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Almond was given a bit of a look in between Havlat and Latendresse during his call up last season. I remember a game or two where he was given an extensive look on that line as well as PP time. He certainly didn't embarrass himself and held him own. I think he'll get a chance to fill that role given I personally believe the Wild won't be all that active this summer via FA and trades. Almond will likely have every opportunity to find a significant role on this squad, so we'll see where his development is at when he comes back to camp.

O'Sullivan gets a bad rap and most all of it is very deserved. With that said, if he's bought out I wouldn't mind seeing the Wild give him a shot. Provided it's at the right price. The Wild aren't in a position to scoff at talent, O'Sullivan does have some that could be useful to this team. Given his age, this is the type of talent to take a chance on.

Just to throw out a new name around here, any interest in Afinogenov? Read that he'll likely test the market at this point and is likely looking for more than a one year deal. In theory, GMCF has said he wants this team to get up and down the ice. Whether or not he's proven he's going to do that given the players he's brought in is a legitimate concern, but in Max Afinogenov's case, the transition game is what he excels in. If the Wild were to move Miettinen (either in a trade or down the depth chart), Afinogenov may be a decent option Koivu's wing. He may be someone to think about considering he likely won't be breaking the bank.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Almond was given a bit of a look in between Havlat and Latendresse during his call up last season. I remember a game or two where he was given an extensive look on that line as well as PP time. He certainly didn't embarrass himself and held him own. I think he'll get a chance to fill that role given I personally believe the Wild won't be all that active this summer via FA and trades. Almond will likely have every opportunity to find a significant role on this squad, so we'll see where his development is at when he comes back to camp.

O'Sullivan gets a bad rap and most all of it is very deserved. With that said, if he's bought out I wouldn't mind seeing the Wild give him a shot. Provided it's at the right price. The Wild aren't in a position to scoff at talent, O'Sullivan does have some that could be useful to this team. Given his age, this is the type of talent to take a chance on.

Just to throw out a new name around here, any interest in Afinogenov? Read that he'll likely test the market at this point and is likely looking for more than a one year deal. In theory, GMCF has said he wants this team to get up and down the ice. Whether or not he's proven he's going to do that given the players he's brought in is a legitimate concern, but in Max Afinogenov's case, the transition game is what he excels in. If the Wild were to move Miettinen (either in a trade or down the depth chart), Afinogenov may be a decent option Koivu's wing. He may be someone to think about considering he likely won't be breaking the bank.
I could've sworn I read that Afinogenov had already re-signed for a single year in ATL.

If that's wrong, I wouldn't mind him a bit. When he's properly motivated, he can certainly find a home in the top 6.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

That's why Bouchard is tough to fit into the line up. Where? Is he a center? No. Can he play LW? No. The only thing that we know for sure about anything is that he is a playmaking RWer who spins into the boards to avoid contact.

I can't wrap my head around lines if he fails at center...

Old
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
I could've sworn I read that Afinogenov had already re-signed for a single year in ATL.

If that's wrong, I wouldn't mind him a bit. When he's properly motivated, he can certainly find a home in the top 6.
Max Afinogenov

Quote:
The Thrashers are not close to signing right wing Maxim Afinogenov to a new contract, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on its website today.

Afinogenov, who can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, was presented with a one-year offer, but his agent Don Meehan told the Journal-Constitution they do not "agree at this point in time" with the terms.

While it's still possible for the Thrashers to re-sign Afinogenov, it is looking more and more likely that the veteran winger will test the free agent waters next month.
Again, I don't think he's going to put the team over the top or anything but I do believe the Wild could find a use for him if the price is right. He'd fit in with a mumbled winger crowd so it may be interesting to see just how you'd shake out the lines if they were to make a move for him.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Max Afinogenov

Again, I don't think he's going to put the team over the top or anything but I do believe the Wild could find a use for him if the price is right. He'd fit in with a mumbled winger crowd so it may be interesting to see just how you'd shake out the lines if they were to make a move for him.
Thanks for that, I couldn't find what I thought I had read...

If we had a way of knowing we were getting the '09-'10 Max, and not the '08-'09 Max, I'd offer him a year, maybe 2, see if he bites at 2-2.5 mil.

He's obviously got hands, and he's a pretty fast skater from what I remember. He certainly makes more sense than the folks saying we should go after Olli Jokinen (I've changed my opinion on him).

Old
06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Jbcraig1883

I think Almond has the potential to fit on that line. The only thing noticeable in his call-up last season is he seemed to stop moving his feet or hang onto the puck for an extra second too long, something that is understandeable given it was his first NHL experience.

If he can adjust to the speed, I think he might work out. But, that begs the question, do we give him another year in the AHL to get more time to develop or do we put him inbetween Lats/Havlat this season?

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
-Interesting take on Almond. Need to think about that one...
I like it as a short-term answer but am uncertain about having someone like Almond as their center in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
It's the CIRRRCCCLLLEEEE of life....
Hahaha.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Wellman, Almond and Clutterbuck on the same line might work

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote