HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

William Nylander or Dylan Strome - more effective center in future NHL playoffs?

Old
12-18-2015, 09:38 PM
figure

vCash: 500
William Nylander or Dylan Strome - more effective center in future NHL playoffs?

Who in the future will be the more effective center in the playoffs? William Nylander or Dylan Strome?

Strome looks to become a worse skating Jeff Carter type player with potential to be as effective as Kopitar.

Nylander is an offensive mix somewhere between Giroux, Kane and Backstrom.

Who, when trying to win the Stanley Cup, would you rather have? In my eyes Strome is the perfect #2 Center behind a guy like Toews or Kopitar. If the leafs land Matthews, should they attempt to trade Nylander for Strome - or even Reinhart for that matter? Obviously the leafs might need to sweeten the pot a little bit, but if they do land Matthews I wouldn't have an issue dishing Nylander + for either of those 2. Strictly under the pretense that having a guy like Strome as your #2 might be better for a cup run than having Nylander as your #2. The combination of your #1 and #2 center, is it better to have Kopitar type and Carter type(Strome) or Kopitar type(Matthews) and say Backstrom type player?

My rational may be outdated though, the league is moving more towards skill and speed it seems which is a fair point - something Nylander excels at. But is that what wins cups right now, or just looks great in the regular season? Look at LA, they arguably have the best one two center punch in the game when it comes to winning in the playoffs. All around champs who play insanely hard with their own fair share of skill.

Regular season teams like Dallas don't necessarily do well in the playoffs as their team just isn't well rounded enough when the going gets tough.

So, in the long run, who would you rather have centering one of your top 6 lines in a playoff push - Strome or Nylander? Would you consider a trade between the two?

Last edited by figure: 12-18-2015 at 09:53 PM.
figure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 09:48 PM
SingleAallStar

Buddy I think this is going to get ripped apart.

Chances of getting Matthews are extremely low. And if by chance we do, no way we trade him for Strome or Reinhart. Because these kinds of trades never happen. It makes no sense

And Matthews 1C, Nylander 2C looks easily cup winning

SingleAallStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 09:50 PM
figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleAallStar View Post
Buddy I think this is going to get ripped apart.

Chances of getting Matthews are extremely low. And if by chance we do, no way we trade him for Strome or Reinhart. Because these kinds of trades never happen. It makes no sense

And Matthews 1C, Nylander 2C looks easily cup winning
It is less about the trade, and more so about which type of player would you rather have to win a cup. I don't really care if some people decide to "rip it apart" - just here for the discussion.

Old
12-18-2015, 09:59 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure View Post
Who in the future will be the more effective center in the playoffs? William Nylander or Dylan Strome?

Strome looks to become a worse skating Jeff Carter type player with potential to be as effective as Kopitar.

Nylander is an offensive mix somewhere between Giroux, Kane and Backstrom.

Who, when trying to win the Stanley Cup, would you rather have? In my eyes Strome is the perfect #2 Center behind a guy like Toews or Kopitar. This brings me to the real meat of this topic, if the leafs land Matthews, should they attempt to trade Nylander for Strome - or even Reinhart for that matter? Obviously the leafs might need to sweeten the pot a little bit, but if they do land Matthews I wouldn't have an issue dishing Nylander + for either of those 2.

My rational may be outdated though, the league is moving more towards skill and speed it seems which is a fair point - something Nylander excels at. But is that what wins cups right now, or just looks great in the regular season? Look at LA, they arguably have the best one two center punch in the game when it comes to winning in the playoffs. All around champs who play insanely hard with their own fair share of skill.

Regular season teams like Dallas don't necessarily do well in the playoffs as their team just isn't well rounded enough when the going gets tough.

So, in the long run, who would you rather have centering one of your top 6 lines in a playoff push - Strome or Nylander? Would you consider a trade between the two?
So much wrong with this and it won't end well. If Leafs got a do everything center like Matthews, why would they trade Nylander for a lesser version of that for Reinhart or an offensive guy like Strome. Plus why do Phoenix or Buffalo make the trade. You need speed and skill to win cups also, as great as Doughty, Quick and Kopitar were in 2014, Gaborik was huge. And Kane has been as important as Toews in regards to winning their 3 cups. Dallas is a young team, and their main problem when compared to Chicago and LA is that they don't have an elite 2 way defender in the Doughty or Keith mold.

93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 10:09 PM
Shwaguy*

vCash: 50
Whichever one ends up the better player. Right now it's a toss up.

Shwaguy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 10:13 PM
figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
So much wrong with this and it won't end well. If Leafs got a do everything center like Matthews, why would they trade Nylander for a lesser version of that for Reinhart or an offensive guy like Strome. Plus why do Phoenix or Buffalo make the trade. You need speed and skill to win cups also, as great as Doughty, Quick and Kopitar were in 2014, Gaborik was huge. And Kane has been as important as Toews in regards to winning their 3 cups. Dallas is a young team, and their main problem when compared to Chicago and LA is that they don't have an elite 2 way defender in the Doughty or Keith mold.
Again to recap, this is less about the possibility of a trade and more so about what type of players you would try to build a cup winning team around.

Gaborik and Kane or both wingers and are not what this post is about.

The point of this post is to ask... is having two very complete centers better than having 1 complete center and one less rounded more offensive center.

In the Leafs case, they have a skilled winger who fits the Kane mold or something like it in Marner (to address your above point), and if the leafs land a complete center like Matthews, do you try and emulate LA by landing a second line Complete center like Carter (I've heard many people compare Strome to Carter).

Old
12-18-2015, 10:16 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Again to recap, this is less about the possibility of a trade and more so about what type of players you would try to build a cup winning team around.

Gaborik and Kane or both wingers and are not what this post is about.

The point of this post is to ask... is having two very complete centers better than having 1 complete center and one less rounded more offensive center.

In the Leafs case, they have a skilled winger who fits the Kane mold or something like it in Marner (to address your above point), and if the leafs land a complete center like Matthews, do you try and emulate LA by landing a second line Complete center like Carter (I've heard many people compare Strome to Carter).
Jeff Carter isn't a complete center and actually shifts out to the wing alot.

Old
12-18-2015, 10:29 PM
figure

Quote:
Jeff Carter isn't a complete center and actually shifts out to the wing alot.
He has solidified as a Center in the Kings system over the last 3 years, his style of play works really well at Center for the Kings system. He is offensively gifted sure but plays hard and smart defensively and is a very well rounded center for them. Yes in the past he winged for Giroux and Richards but over the last few years he has been an amazing #2 center.

Old
12-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

I wouldnt trade Nylander + for Strome or Reinhardt. Unlikely I'd trade him straight across for either, although I need to think about that one for a bit.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 10:40 PM
figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I wouldnt trade Nylander + for Strome or Reinhardt. Unlikely I'd trade him straight across for either, although I need to think about that one for a bit.
The + part would just be something small like a c prospect or a mid to late pick, basically not a major piece.

I would trade Nylander of Reinhart in a heart beat straight up. Believe me I am a massive Nylander fan and am as excited as anyone about the future of the leafs. But, to me hockey isn't about creating a roster that will win the presidents trophy and score out the cazoo in the regular season, I don't give 3 ***** about the regular season. For me it is all about building a cup contender, a well rounded strong overall team, not stat padding top heavy stuff. Reinhart is insanely smart and in my eyes has the potential to be this generations Bergeron, hard to place a value on that when trying to build a cup contender, but I know for an absolute fact I'd take Bergeron over any of the players Nylander projects to be like, with winning the cup as the goal.

Old
12-18-2015, 10:55 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
The + part would just be something small like a c prospect or a mid to late pick, basically not a major piece.

I would trade Nylander of Reinhart in a heart beat straight up. Believe me I am a massive Nylander fan and am as excited as anyone about the future of the leafs. But, to me hockey isn't about creating a roster that will win the presidents trophy and score out the cazoo in the regular season, I don't give 3 ***** about the regular season. For me it is all about building a cup contender, a well rounded strong overall team, not stat padding top heavy stuff. Reinhart is insanely smart and in my eyes has the potential to be this generations Bergeron, hard to place a value on that when trying to build a cup contender, but I know for an absolute fact I'd take Bergeron over any of the players Nylander projects to be like, with winning the cup as the goal.
So did Braydon Schenn. You need high end skill as much as you need elite 2-way guys. And the key to all the cup teams since the lockout outside of Carolina and Pitt is having an elite 2 way defenceman, which LA, Chicago, Boston and Detroit all had. Your focusing way too much on the make up of the 2nd line. Chicago and LA actually used high end skill guys as their 2nd line with the first line used in shutdown roles.

Old
12-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

lets see how they do in a regular season game first

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 10:59 PM
WilliamNylander
Elite Drive Train

vCash: 523
I'd rather have Nylander. Just think his speed/skating is a huge advantage the way the league is going.

They are both going to be beasts though.

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 10:59 PM
TheMule93

how the **** would we know

TheMule93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

vCash: 920
Why is Strome a bad Jeff Carter but Nylander is a Backstrom, Kane or Giroux?

Gee I wonder if OP is a leafs fan...

Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2015, 11:03 PM
figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

Just saying his skating isn't there yet, basically reiterating what everyone else has said.

For the record I am saying I would rather have Strome than Nylander.

Old
12-18-2015, 11:20 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

but he also thinks we should trade a potential Kane or Giroux for a potential Carter, which is even more confusing.

Old
12-18-2015, 11:36 PM
figure

Quote:
but he also thinks we should trade a potential Kane or Giroux for a potential Carter, which is even more confusing.
It is the furthest thing from "confusing". That is a pretentious keyboard hero move right there.

You've done nothing but **** on the potential for discussion in this thread. Ideally we could talk about what type of player better fits the modern NHL mold of a Stanley Cup contending team. Instead you'd like to derail it, acting like your perspective some how has more meaning to it than others. It'd be better off without your condescending fluff, but you knew that.

Loving to hear yourself spew what you misguidedly assume is something valuable is a less than ideal trait. Thank you though for your attempts at enlightening me, truly, but until you actually say something of substance your words aren't worth much. Definitely now where close to what will amount to be the bottom line of this conversation, sorry.

Old
12-19-2015, 12:24 AM
brettzz

vCash: 128
if nylander and strome turned into clones of kopitar and backstrom i take kopitar (strome)

but for the second part i think having a backstrom-lite behind a kopitar would be the perfect scenario, you have a big heavy c to handle the toughest assignments and the speedy scorer to feast on the lesser competition, the toews-kane model (although id imagine kane has been getting the tougher assignments for a while now)

brettzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Petyr Baelish

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterbergsBeard420 View Post
how the **** would we know
This. OP thinks he has got both Nylander and Strome figured out but they are still so young that it is incredibly difficult to say where their development takes them.

Petyr Baelish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2015, 01:35 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
It is the furthest thing from "confusing". That is a pretentious keyboard hero move right there.

You've done nothing but **** on the potential for discussion in this thread. Ideally we could talk about what type of player better fits the modern NHL mold of a Stanley Cup contending team. Instead you'd like to derail it, acting like your perspective some how has more meaning to it than others. It'd be better off without your condescending fluff, but you knew that.

Loving to hear yourself spew what you misguidedly assume is something valuable is a less than ideal trait. Thank you though for your attempts at enlightening me, truly, but until you actually say something of substance your words aren't worth much. Definitely now where close to what will amount to be the bottom line of this conversation, sorry.
How am I derailing it when I answered your question. Basically I'd rather keep speed and skill in my 2nd line like the Blackhawks, that compliment the 1st line and have a good 3rd checking line. This allows you to match-up your first line on other teams first line at home and when other teams try to matchup on your scoring line (in Chicago's case Kane's line) your first line can take advantage of an easier match-up. I wouldn't trade Nylander for Reinhart because I prefer Nylanders high-end skating, and am not that high on Reinhart, Strome i'd consider. But if you have a Toews/Kopitar like player such as Matthews I want the best scorers for my second unit. I'd also say Strome is much closer to a Jason Spezza, than a sniper like Jeff Carter. Boston, Chicago and LA heavily relied on scoring from their 2nd lines since their first line center is heavily used in defensive situations.

Old
12-19-2015, 03:37 AM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

How is this even a debate? Nylander over Strome any day.

If saw this scenario works out

Would you rather have
Kopitar
Backstrom

Or

Kopitar
Carter

Easily the 1st option

mikebel111* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:

I have doubts about Reinhardt's skating. Strome's too. Neither of them have bad skating, but they arent winning any races either. Obviously skating fast isnt everything, but Nylander also has insane skill to go with it.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2015, 08:09 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:
I never understand how people think "c prospects" have any meaning in a trade involving assets as significant as Strome, Reinhart, Nylander. As if one's preference for one or the other could actually be overridden by including other guys with a 1% likelihood of ever being important.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2015, 08:34 AM
IHaveNoCreativity

Can we atleast have the WJC first ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote