HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How much will Patrick Marleau get?

Old
06-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
He will get too much.
Surprised it took this long for someone to say that.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Toronto has the cap space to sign someone right? It probably won't be Kovalchuk, so I guess it will be Marleau.

They skipped on a true rebuild by trading their 1st's for Kessel, so no point avoiding Free Agency with no picks to barter with.

Bobby Ryan to Toronto is a pipedream, but Marleau can be had.

Sharks then re-sign Nabakov IMHO.
Ron Wilson says hi.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
euro dangle*

6.75 a year for 6 years from Toronto or Colorado.

euro dangle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
CamTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Ubiquity View Post
Ron Wilson says hi.
Lol, yea not gonna happen. Im guessing 30 mil for 5 years. 6.0 cap hit.

CamTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
On any other team, his goal numbers go way down to the high 20s and mid-high 30s for assists

I almost feel like I should apologise for your ignorance. Patrick Marleau is not a 60 point player but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night...

I'm sure you'll probably educate me then about what his 2007/8 season proves to you, just to prove a point. To save time responding though I'll politely point out that, disregarding that season, Marleau has 318 points in 317 games over the other 4 of his past 5 seasons since the lock out.

I may not be an elite mathematician but to me that looks slightly better than a 60 point guy... It must all be because of Thornton though, you're right.

Last edited by Le Rosbeef: 06-15-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
My guess is around $6.5 mil for 3 years

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bozak View Post
Last contract he got $6.3M for 2 years.

I'm assuming he'll get around $6.5M.

Any ideas?

Term?
If he just goes where the money is, he can probably get around 6.5 mil for 4-5 years. If he only signs with a contender, he may have to sign a deal like Hossa, long term with a front loaded deal with a 5-5.5 cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Toronto has the cap space to sign someone right? It probably won't be Kovalchuk, so I guess it will be Marleau.

They skipped on a true rebuild by trading their 1st's for Kessel, so no point avoiding Free Agency with no picks to barter with.

If they sign Marleau they'll put themselves in cap hell with not much of a chance at upgrading at center or finding scoring depth behind Marleau and Kessel. They have a ton of money on defense even if they move Kaberle and JSG is a 6 mil cap hit.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
SharksAddict

Depends who he ends up with.

With SJ, $5.5-$6.5M per yr.

With LA, $6.5-$7M per yr.

Only two teams I can see him going to.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bozak View Post
Last contract he got $6.3M for 2 years.

I'm assuming he'll get around $6.5M. Any ideas?

Term?
i think your bang on with 6.5. it will be a 5 year deal

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If they sign Marleau they'll put themselves in cap hell with not much of a chance at upgrading at center or finding scoring depth behind Marleau and Kessel. They have a ton of money on defense even if they move Kaberle and JSG is a 6 mil cap hit.
plus 3.5 for finger off the cap playing for the marlies, plus 6 million off next year for giguere, plus grabovski moved for a mid draft pick this off season theres another 2.9. thats 12.4 extra coming off the cap. where is the cap hell you talk about.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Gutchecktime

Leafs can afford Marleau with minor fixes and I don't know that Wilson would be as much of a deterrent as people think, but I see him signing with LA for about 6.5 million cap hit.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
blankall

Quote:

Toronto does not have as much cap space as you'd think. It would be very difficult to fill out the rest of the roster spots if they take on a forward at 6.5 million. They took on Giguere and Phaneuf at the end of last season. Even if they move a defenceman, it's still tough to fit Marleau in there.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:25 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Toronto does not have as much cap space as you'd think. It would be very difficult to fill out the rest of the roster spots if they take on a forward at 6.5 million. They took on Giguere and Phaneuf at the end of last season. Even if they move a defenceman, it's still tough to fit Marleau in there.

Marleau is more of a possibility than you think as Kaberle is likely to be moved & Finger to the minors is an option if need be. Add to that, there has been talk of the salary cap being bumped up a little so that gives Burke & Co a little more room to play with. That being said I would not take Marleau for 7.5 if I was the Burke as that extra million or so could go into a bottom 6 forward (Madden) whom I've heard from a source, really wants to retire in toronto.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
Marleau is more of a possibility than you think as Kaberle is likely to be moved & Finger to the minors is an option if need be. Add to that, there has been talk of the salary cap being bumped up a little so that gives Burke & Co a little more room to play with. That being said I would not take Marleau for 7.5 if I was the Burke as that extra million or so could go into a bottom 6 forward (Madden) whom I've heard from a source, really wants to retire in toronto.
Except that Patrick Marleau would likely rather play for the Hershey Bears than Ron Wilson again.

So it's actually less of a possibility.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:43 PM
goalsversusthreshold*

Marleau has specifically said he would be willing to play with Wilson again and they called eachother and made up after Wilson left the team. He and Wilson had their problems but you guys are seriously overstating it.

goalsversusthreshold* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsversusthreshold View Post
Marleau has specifically said he would be willing to play with Wilson again and they called eachother and made up after Wilson left the team. He and Wilson had their problems but you guys are seriously overstating it.
[citation needed]

Given the choice, I think he would choose many other places.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
If it's a matter of clearing out 7 million in space, then any team in the league is a likely suitor.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:50 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Marleau is a class act. They had a huge fallout. I am sure he would prefer to play just about anywhere else.

Besides that fact, Marleau does not deal with the media well, and no way does he have the kind of personality that would work in Toronto. Seriously, I think his game would suffer substantially, you guys really shouldn't even want him.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Marleau isn't the kind of person to say anything bad about anyone to the media. He is the nice guy that says he is fine no matter what the situation is. So even though he has said he is fine with playing for RW again I doubt he is telling the truth. Why whould he want to play for a coach that threw him under the bus to the media multiple times and constantly changed his line to screw him over?

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
goalsversusthreshold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Ubiquity View Post
[citation needed]

Given the choice, I think he would choose many other places.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...san-jose-past/

Sorry, I know the purpose of many people on HFBoards is to make the NHL as much like 90210 as possible.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:54 PM
goalsversusthreshold*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenpsyche View Post
Marleau isn't the kind of person to say anything bad about anyone to the media. He is the nice guy that says he is fine no matter what the situation is. So even though he has said he is fine with playing for RW again I doubt he is telling the truth. Why whould he want to play for a coach that threw him under the bus to the media multiple times and constantly changed his line to screw him over?
Maybe not to say anything bad to anyone in the media. He wasn't answering a question though. He personally called Ron Wilson and specifically said to him, in a private conversation, that he'd be willing to play for him again.

Old
06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Max 7 Min 5.5

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...san-jose-past/

Sorry, I know the purpose of many people on HFBoards is to make the NHL as much like 90210 as possible.
Whatever, we as Sharks fan's have all read that, and watched every interview he's ever done since. I think we have a better read on the guy that a leafs fan with high hopes would.

When Marleau isn't in a leafs sweater next season, just don't go jump off a bridge or anything.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Of course he's willing to play for Ron Wilson but he's not going to choose to play for him. Marleau's not going to hold grudges or burn bridges. He's not wired that way. However, he's not going to choose to go to Toronto knowing full well that Ron Wilson has no problems doing the exact same thing that caused friction between the two in the first place. That also ignores the family issue which is probably more important than anything else in this conversation.

He's not leaving San Jose for Toronto. There are three places that Marleau would likely consider if not San Jose. Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Calgary. That's it. Luckily for all involved, it's not likely to come to such a decision.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote