HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
  #1
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Part 3)

Part 1: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=756074
Part 2: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=764119

So, here's my stab at a new Entry Draft thread. This is just a beginning. I'll be adding more prospects in the days ahead, and if anyone wants to help out, feel free to contribute. Tried to be as unbiased as possible.

Taylor Hall



Position: LW
ISS Rank: 3
CS Rank: North American skaters #1
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Windsor (OHL)
Comparison: Zach Parise with half the guts and half the hockey sense.
Brief description: Taylor Hall is all about creating offense, mostly for himself. Incredible speed. Incredible hands. He is held back by questionable decision making. He tries to do too much sometimes, and is prone to making mistakes.

Tyler Seguin



Position: C
ISS Rank: 1
CS Rank: NAS 2
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Plymouth (OHL)
Comparison: Steve Yzerman, but not quite as good.
Brief description: Seguin is the best playmaker in this draft, and he's probably the second most effective two-way center in the draft (taking both offense and defense into account, equally). He's no slouch in the goalscoring department, and he's also somewhat of a leader.

Cam Fowler



Position: D
ISS Rank: 3
CS Rank: NAS 3
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 197 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Windsor (OHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Scott Niedermayer offensively, poor man's Duncan Keith defensively.
Brief description: Very smart, very skilled defender. Plays an effective and efficient two-way game. Solid, but unspectacular speed. Can be reluctant toward the physical aspects of the game. Very safe pick. Very likely to reach full potential.

Erik Gudbranson



Position: D
ISS Rank: 6
CS Rank: NAS 6
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Kingston (OHL)
Comparison: Zach Bogosian with more smarts.
Brief description: He's gritty, he is physical and he is smart defensively. He's also a good passer and has a big shot. Another safe pick, this guy will be a solid piece for any team.

Vladimir Tarasenko



Position: RW
ISS Rank: 4
CS Rank: EU 2
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 190 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Novosibirsk (KHL)
Comparison: Phil Kessel with Mogilny-like hands.
Brief description: Tarasenko is an offensive dynamo. Great hands, great shot, great moves. Deceptively fast skater. Questionable willingness to play defense, combined with questions about his transfer status may cause him to fall.

Brett Connolly



Position: RW
ISS Rank: 11
CS Rank: NAS 4
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 180 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Prince George (WHL)
Comparison: Marian Gaborik with a smaller build and moves that aren't quite as flashy.
Brief description: If it wasn't for lingering concerns about Connolly's hip flexor injury issues, this young man would probably be the third-highest forward picked in the draft. But he will drop, and perhaps, some lucky team can get a real steal. He has very good puckhandling skills, great speed, and possibly the best wrist shot in the draft.

Alexander Burmistrov



Position: C
ISS Rank: 12
CS Rank: NAS 7
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 180 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Barrie (OHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Pavel Datsyuk mixed with Stephen Weiss
Brief description: The best two-way center in the draft, and probably the smartest forward in the draft. Excellent passer, solid playmaker, and very responsible. Not a great skater and not particularly strong or physical, but makes up for it with excellent positioning.

Brandon Gormley



Position: D
ISS Rank: 5
CS Rank: NAS 8
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Moncton (QMJHL)
Comparison: Keith Yandle
Brief description: An all-purpose player who isn't especially great at any part of the game. His utilitarian skillset will propel him to a higher selection than his talent alone would have. He can be a part of the offense, he can be a part of the defense, and he can eat up minutes.

Kirill Kabanov



Position: RW
ISS Rank: 7
CS Rank: NAS 15
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 180 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Moncton (QMJHL)
Comparison: Alexander Semin, Ales Hemsky
Brief Description: All-world skill already tagged with the "enigmatic" label , Kabanov will drop. The question is, how low? He is one of the most talented offensive players in the draft, but he doesn't play defense and he is perceived to have attitude problems. An all too familiar risk/reward scenario: go for broke and hope the big talent overcomes the character issues.

Nino Niederreiter



Position: LW
ISS Rank: 9
CS Rank: NAS 14
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 205 lbs.
Age: 17
Team (League): Portland (WHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Rick Nash, Dustin Penner
Brief Description: Nino is big and strong, has a booming shot, and is a total workhorse. To this point, he's been very difficult to stop, or even slow down. But questions remain, mainly about his hockey IQ. He's gotten by on his physical gifts so far. He'll very likely stick in the NHL, even if he doesn't reach his full potential, but if a team picks him in the top 10, they'll be hoping he can be taught.

Austin Watson



Position: C/RW
ISS Rank: 8
CS Rank: NAS 25
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Age: 18
Team (League): Peterborough (OHL)
Comparison: Mix of Jordan Staal and Travis Zajac
Brief Description: Since being traded to the Petes earlier this season and being given more icetime and responsibility, Watson's stock has really risen. Already known for being one of the best defensive forwards in this year's draft, he's also showing that he can score. He still needs to get bigger and stronger, which will likely come. He's looking like a good bet to end up as a very good, two-way second line forward.

Mikael Granlund



Position: C
ISS Rank: 14
CS Rank: EU 1
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Age: 18
Team (League): HIFK (SM-Liiga)
Comparison: Saku Koivu, Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Brief Description: Granlund is a very shifty player with great skill. Unfortunately, he's also small and isn't particularly fast, which isn't exactly a recipe for success. Although smaller guys can succeed in the NHL today, they tend to require quickness to evade their larger competition. Granlund's lack of speed has seen him fall out of the projected top 5-10. He'll probably go somewhere in the 10-15 range.

Derek Forbort



Position: D
ISS Rank: 10
CS Rank: NAS 11
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Age: 18
Team (League): U.S. Development Team
Comparison: Brent Burns/Braydon Coburn
Brief Description: Still very raw, Forbort is obviously an attractive prospect due to his great size. At this point, his skillset has a little bit of everything, and he hasn't established himself in a particular niche. That may very well change as he gets a bit older and plays against tougher competition. He has the size to be physical and nasty, but that isn't a big part of his game yet.

Riley Sheahan



Position: C
ISS Rank: 13
CS Rank: NAS 5
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Age: 18
Team (League): Notre Dame (CCHA)
Comparison: Mike Fisher with a little more offense and speed.
Brief Description: Very smart defensive forward who also possesses great speed. Chances are high that he'll be at least a good third line center. His offense doesn't seem great enough to suggest he's going to be a big scorer, but it isn't out of the range of possibility for him to be a solid second line center, either.

Mark Pysyk



Position: D
ISS Rank: 16
CS Rank: NAS 9
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Age: 18
Team (League): Edmonton (WHL)
Comparison: Smaller, less physical Brooks Orpik.
Brief Description: Pysyk is a solid all-around prospect. He doesn't excel at any particular area, but he can play in all situations. He's a good decision maker, but his skating could stand to improve. He projects as a dependable second-pairing defenseman.

Ryan Johansen



Other Clips:
1 | 2 | 3

Position: C
ISS Rank: 17
CS Rank: North American skaters 16
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 194 lbs
Age: 17
Team (League): Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
Comparison: Ryan Getzlaf with a bit less physicality.
Brief description: Sweet pair of hands on a big body. Excellent play making ability and a quality shot, though he's reluctant to use it at times. Plays a true power-center role and has broken through physically in his first year with Portland by playing with more of an edge. Surprising speed and agility for a player his size. Most scouts feel he projects to play at 6'4 and 200lbs+ when he's finished growing. Stock has risen tremendously this year, but some attribute his success to playing with probable top-10 pick Nino Niederreiter.

Jonathan Merrill



Position: D
ISS Rank: 21
CS Rank: NAS 20
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): US Development Team
Comparison: Mix of Marc Staal and Jordan Leopold
Brief description: Merrill has a nice big frame, and he seems to have a big brain, too. He's smart on both sides of the puck, but he still has somethings to work on. He needs to be more physical, more assertive offensively, and of course, he still needs to finish growing into that frame.

John McFarland



Position: LW/C
ISS Rank: 30
CS Rank: NAS 10
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Sudbury (OHL)
Comparison: Marian Hossa with less size and without any brains.
Brief description: Another classic headcase. He's got great moves, speed, and skills, but he has an attitude problem and his hockey IQ is very low. If he can be tamed and taught, he will be a huge steal. But that's a big if.

Jarred Tinordi



Position: D
ISS Rank: 26
CS Rank: North American skaters 38
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 205 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): U.S. Development Team
Comparison: His father, Mark Tinordi. Maybe even bigger and stronger.
Brief description: Incredible frame that will surely fill out more as he gets older. He's huge. He's gritty. He's tough. He plays smart defense. His offense is come-and-go at this point, and needs some work. Still, he's shown flashes of a booming shot. This kid is a beast. Team that drafts him is going to get a guy that can scare the crap out of opposing teams on a nightly basis for the next 10-15 years.

Stanislav Galiev



Position: LW/RW
ISS Rank: N/A
CS Rank: NAS 20
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185 lbs
Age: 18
Team (League): Saint John (QMJHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Semin.
Brief description: Smart playmaking winger with great hands. Good speed, good vision, solid decision maker. Going to be a very nice second line wing, 60-65 points a season.


Last edited by nyr2k2: 05-26-2010 at 07:43 AM.
NYR Sting is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 09:52 PM
  #2
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,286
vCash: 500
My draft board this year has fluctuated more than any other in recent memory...here is how it stands now:

1. Connolly (obviously health dependent)
2. Johansen
3. Tarasenko (talent-wise 1 or 2 but I don't care about NYC's Russian community, with the contracts the KHL is handing out it's a risk)
4. Burmistrov
5. Watson
6. Niederreiter
7. Forbort
8. Bjugstad
9. Skinner

Just don't take Sheahan or Etem.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
  #3
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
My draft board this year has fluctuated more than any other in recent memory...here is how it stands now:

1. Connolly (obviously health dependent)
2. Johansen
3. Tarasenko (talent-wise 1 or 2 but I don't care about NYC's Russian community, with the contracts the KHL is handing out it's a risk)
4. Burmistrov
5. Watson
6. Niederreiter
7. Forbort
8. Bjugstad
9. Skinner

Just don't take Sheahan or Etem.
mines fairly close...
1)Connolly
2)Burmistrov
3)Johansen
4)Nino
5)Tarasenko
6)Skinner

Inferno is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 10:27 PM
  #4
TrojanRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Van down by theriver
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
mines fairly close...
1)Connolly
2)Burmistrov
3)Johansen
4)Nino
5)Tarasenko
6)Skinner

Flip Johan and Burmistrov and thats mine.

TrojanRanger is offline  
Old
05-25-2010, 11:06 PM
  #5
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Why is everyone so high on Connolly?
Good rookie season, injury shorted draft eligible season, bad U-18's.
What is it about this guy that separates him from the rest of the eligible forwards @ 10?
Not attacking opinions here or Connolly's play, I've never seen him play so I'm going with what I've read. So I'm looking for actual opinions here as to what separates him from the rest.

TheRedViper is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 12:24 AM
  #6
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Why is everyone so high on Connolly?
Good rookie season, injury shorted draft eligible season, bad U-18's.
What is it about this guy that separates him from the rest of the eligible forwards @ 10?
Not attacking opinions here or Connolly's play, I've never seen him play so I'm going with what I've read. So I'm looking for actual opinions here as to what separates him from the rest.
He's 6'2", has explosive speed, great hands and a blistering shot. He also is no concern with an KHL contract. His hip injury could be a blessing if the Rangers pick him, because if he had played the entire season this year I have no doubt he would have challenged Hall and Seguin.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
  #7
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Connolly (if healthy)
Niederreiter
Watson
Burmistrov
Tarasenko (if he commits to NA)
Skinner
Granlund
Bjugstad
Hayes
Nelson
Etem
Kabanov
Johansen
Pitlick


I still can't buy into the Johansen hype.

Just don't see it.

IMO he's going to be the biggest bust in the draft if he goes top 10. For the simple fact he would be expected to be a top line center, but will probably end up a 3rd line defensive specialist that can contribute here and there.

Low first/early second would be good for him.

He doesn't have a higher ceiling then Anisimov or Werek, and they weren't first round picks.

I'm not convinced he has the skating, strength, and overall package to excell at a higher level.

Watson is going to be an absolute steal in the teens. I don't feel his 2ppg stretch run was a fluke. He's going to explode on the scene next year.

I'd love to get Watson, Hayes, Nelson somehow.

The USA WJC team is going to be very good.

Kreider
Watson
Bjugstad
Nelson
Hayes
Morin
Tinordi
Merril
Campbell...

Scary size and skill, scoring, defense, goaltending...

Not gospel, just my opinion. I'm not sold on some of the players pegged for the top half of the first round.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 09:26 AM
  #8
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
My list is:

Connoly
Tarasenko
Burmistrov
Johansen

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
  #9
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Connolly
Nino
Johansen
Tarasenko

Trade down, pick Skinner
Trade down, Pick Burmistrov

Any of those happen and i'll be a happy camper.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
  #10
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 50
Would anybody be upset if we pick Granlund? I could see him being a pretty decent pick, but he is by no means the first guy I think the Rangers should pick.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
  #11
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Would anybody be upset if we pick Granlund? I could see him being a pretty decent pick, but he is by no means the first guy I think the Rangers should pick.
He is smallish and is only average skater but he is very mature and smart player. Hes one of the most mature and is smartest player of this draft and his hockey iq is insane might be even best hockey iq in this draft aswell. He is very good PP player and often is brains of the PP. He makes his line-mates better player. He turned a grinder from 4 goal scorer to +20 goal scorer in FEL and his other line mate nearly doubled his career best point. His work ethic is insane aswell. He competes and gives 100precent in every situation. If he were bit taller and faster skater he would be top 3 pick in this draft year. He has improved his skating alot from WJC. Hes little bit of an perimeter player. Sometimes he disappears but has like 0+3 in scoresheet. He can make stupid and bad player look good. I expect him to be top 3 player in FEL next season.

Toni Rajala were PPG player in WHL this season and made +1ppg
last year he made 5points in like 25 games in FEL and about 1PPG in junior-a level. Granlund made 57points in about 35 games last season in junior-a level thats 1,6p per game. This year he made 40points in 43 games + 6 points in 6 playoff games at mens level in FEL. He is offensively top 5 in this draft and his two way game is very underrated. He never gonna be a big player but speed is easy to fix and he have done good work this year. Granlund and skinner are underrated and johansen overrated. Yes, Johansen have increased his playing this year but hes not even close to these 2 players. Rangers should pick skinner or Granlund. Rangers already have elite scorer Gaborik so i would personally take Granlund to feed gaborik in the future.

thomast is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
  #12
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
He is smallish and is only average skater but he is very mature and smart player. Hes one of the most mature and is smartest player of this draft and his hockey iq is insane might be even best hockey iq in this draft aswell. He is very good PP player and often is brains of the PP. He makes his line-mates better player. He turned a grinder from 4 goal scorer to +20 goal scorer in FEL and his other line mate nearly doubled his career best point. His work ethic is insane aswell. He competes and gives 100precent in every situation. If he were bit taller and faster skater he would be top 3 pick in this draft year. He has improved his skating alot from WJC. Hes little bit of an perimeter player. Sometimes he disappears but has like 0+3 in scoresheet. He can make stupid and bad player look good. I expect him to be top 3 player in FEL next season.

Toni Rajala were PPG player in WHL this season and made +1ppg
last year he made 5points in like 25 games in FEL and about 1PPG in junior-a level. Granlund made 57points in about 35 games last season in junior-a level thats 1,6p per game. This year he made 40points in 43 games + 6 points in 6 playoff games at mens level in FEL. He is offensively top 5 in this draft and his two way game is very underrated. He never gonna be a big player but speed is easy to fix and he have done good work this year. Granlund and skinner are underrated and johansen overrated. Yes, Johansen have increased his playing this year but hes not even close to these 2 players. Rangers should pick skinner or Granlund. Rangers already have elite scorer Gaborik so i would personally take Granlund to feed gaborik in the future.
Very insightful post, thank you. I can't really find the time to watch international leagues or even junior leagues, so all the stuff I know on these players are strictly from reading.

If it isn't too much trouble the only other player I'm kind of curious about is Alexander Burmistrov. Have you seen him, what is his projected potential? From what I've read he isn't particularly fast, but is an incredibly smart player, almost like Grandlund. What are your thoughts on him?

Thanks for the post again man.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
  #13
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
Granlund reminds me of Parise.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
  #14
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Very insightful post, thank you. I can't really find the time to watch international leagues or even junior leagues, so all the stuff I know on these players are strictly from reading.

If it isn't too much trouble the only other player I'm kind of curious about is Alexander Burmistrov. Have you seen him, what is his projected potential? From what I've read he isn't particularly fast, but is an incredibly smart player, almost like Grandlund. What are your thoughts on him?

Thanks for the post again man.
Burmistrov is typical russian player with good skating and good stickhandling. He is a very good skater what i've seen on him. Hes two way play is underrated aswell he works hard at the defence. He is very skinny at the time tho. Hes bit taller than Granlund and skinner but weights like 170pounds. Hes like skeleton. Hes very ranger-like player. i'm not suprised if rangers pick him. Hes faster than Granlund and he have a year experience in NHL rink, Granlund has 1 year experience with grown up mens. They are about par in size, stickhandling but Granlund is better passer, he have much higher hockey iq, more mature and have higher work ethic. Burmistrov hockey iq is good aswell but Granlunds is off the chart. I wanna raise player from europe aswell Evgeny Kuznetsov who is very talented player. I see alot of Kovalchuk in him. He has elite hands, shot, speed likes to rush infront of goal. Hes very underated prospect aswell. Played full year in KHL in small role. But i would pick him at 20-30 could even fall to rangers 2round pick. Granlund should go at 7-14 and Burmistrov in the same range. Granlund is not zach parise like player hes more like Patrick Kane without speed or marc savard is good comparison aswell. Heres good highlight video where you see Granlunds calmness. Hes very calm when he makes plays never panic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3MB3jJuqf8&feature=fvsr remember hes doing that all against mens. Burmistrov is good for rangers aswell. I would take these 2 before johansen if rangers needs a center.


Last edited by thomast: 05-26-2010 at 03:33 PM.
thomast is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
  #15
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Would anybody be upset if we pick Granlund? I could see him being a pretty decent pick, but he is by no means the first guy I think the Rangers should pick.
Not at all.

He's a super playmaker and a really tough guy to play against.

By the looks of it, he'll be picked between 7 and 11 (no way top-3)


Here's my top-10

1) Hall
2) Seguin
3) Fowler
4) Gormley
5) Gudbranson
6) Tarasenko
7) Nino
8) Connolly
9) Burmistrov
10) Johansen


Some mock drafts have Tarasenko and Burmistrov picked after 15. That is friggin nuts.


If Connolly is available at 10, we pick him...end of story.

GWOW is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
  #16
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,635
vCash: 500
Is there really a chance Connolly is on the Board at 10? That would be a great break indeed.

I don't know who this guy is...but he just updated his mock and has us taking Brett.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
  #17
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Burmistrov is typical russian player with good skating and good stickhandling. He is a very good skater what i've seen on him. Hes two way play is underrated aswell he works hard at the defence. He is very skinny at the time tho. Hes bit taller than Granlund and skinner but weights like 170pounds. Hes like skeleton. Hes very ranger-like player. i'm not suprised if rangers pick him. Hes faster than Granlund and he have a year experience in NHL rink, Granlund has 1 year experience with grown up mens. They are about par in size, stickhandling but Granlund is better passer, he have much higher hockey iq, more mature and have higher work ethic. Burmistrov hockey iq is good aswell but Granlunds is off the chart. I wanna raise player from europe aswell Evgeny Kuznetsov who is very talented player. I see alot of Kovalchuk in him. He has elite hands, shot, speed likes to rush infront of goal. Hes very underated prospect aswell. Played full year in KHL in small role. But i would pick him at 20-30 could even fall to rangers 2round pick. Granlund should go at 7-14 and Burmistrov in the same range. Granlund is not zach parise like player hes more like Patrick Kane without speed or marc savard is good comparison aswell. Heres good highlight video where you see Granlunds calmness. Hes very calm when he makes plays never panic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3MB3jJuqf8&feature=fvsr remember hes doing that all against mens. Burmistrov is good for rangers aswell. I would take these 2 before johansen if rangers needs a center.
mostly agree with all you wrote but...

granlund is an excellent hockey player. very smart. very creative and an underrated scorer. he has buttery soft hands and a very good, accurate shot. he is very creative and tenacious. his size is an issue more so because he lacks that second gear that burmistrov has.

burmistrov is every bit as good a passer, even better actually, as granlund. granlund may be the better finisher but burmy is the best passer in this draft after tyler seguin. he can flat out pass it in a phone booth. hes a setup guy first and one of those pivots that makes his wingers better by delivering the puck on the tape every time. when you package burmys elite passing, elusive skating, 2 way play and ability to play both pp and pk, along with his mature understanding of the game, hes the better player over granlund. maybe only slightly, but he is better.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 04:43 PM
  #18
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
If Tarasenko gives the Rangers a strong indication that he is going to come over after his contract is up next year, you take him and run. I don't care who is still left before him unless his name is Hall or Seguin.

Overall, we should be getting a very good player at our draft position. One or two players will likely go a bit early leaving one or two players falling to us.

Very excited for this draft.

Jumbo* is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
  #19
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Burmistrov is typical russian player with good skating and good stickhandling. He is a very good skater what i've seen on him. Hes two way play is underrated aswell he works hard at the defence. He is very skinny at the time tho. Hes bit taller than Granlund and skinner but weights like 170pounds. Hes like skeleton. Hes very ranger-like player. i'm not suprised if rangers pick him. Hes faster than Granlund and he have a year experience in NHL rink, Granlund has 1 year experience with grown up mens. They are about par in size, stickhandling but Granlund is better passer, he have much higher hockey iq, more mature and have higher work ethic. Burmistrov hockey iq is good aswell but Granlunds is off the chart. I wanna raise player from europe aswell Evgeny Kuznetsov who is very talented player. I see alot of Kovalchuk in him. He has elite hands, shot, speed likes to rush infront of goal. Hes very underated prospect aswell. Played full year in KHL in small role. But i would pick him at 20-30 could even fall to rangers 2round pick. Granlund should go at 7-14 and Burmistrov in the same range. Granlund is not zach parise like player hes more like Patrick Kane without speed or marc savard is good comparison aswell. Heres good highlight video where you see Granlunds calmness. Hes very calm when he makes plays never panic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3MB3jJuqf8&feature=fvsr remember hes doing that all against mens. Burmistrov is good for rangers aswell. I would take these 2 before johansen if rangers needs a center.
Thank you, so it seems like both of these guys have a very good hockey IQ. So far I have been pretty set on wanting to draft Burmistrov and always had Granlund as a near-by second. Going to be interesting to see who is left by the time we pick.

Thanks again for your two very insightful posts.

The Perfect Paradox is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
  #20
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
mostly agree with all you wrote but...

granlund is an excellent hockey player. very smart. very creative and an underrated scorer. he has buttery soft hands and a very good, accurate shot. he is very creative and tenacious. his size is an issue more so because he lacks that second gear that burmistrov has.

burmistrov is every bit as good a passer, even better actually, as granlund. granlund may be the better finisher but burmy is the best passer in this draft after tyler seguin. he can flat out pass it in a phone booth. hes a setup guy first and one of those pivots that makes his wingers better by delivering the puck on the tape every time. when you package burmys elite passing, elusive skating, 2 way play and ability to play both pp and pk, along with his mature understanding of the game, hes the better player over granlund. maybe only slightly, but he is better.
You haven't seen much Granlund? Granlund is not a scorer hes a playmaker. He turned a guy who had 4goals as his career best to +20 goal scorer this year in FEL. Granlund makes his linemates look very good goal scorers with his passing. Hes the guy who runs a PP at mens league at 17-18 years old and products same numbers as burmistrov at juniors. Your underrating Granlunds two way play aswell. He can very well play PK, PP and all. Most of the people here thinks he is only offensive threat. I've seen Burmistrov since he were 16 years old and Granlund since he was 15 years old and Granlund have been always ahead him at playmaking and at overall play. Burmistrov is maybe even actually better scorer than Granlund but if we compare their passing skill Granlunds wins him hands down. Burmistrov is a good skater who and is a good passer yes and he have improved his two way game this year. Watch more Granlund then you will see his two way game which is actualy better than burmistrovs. Granlund is very good player at PK. Next year Granlund is number 1 center in FEL team playing alot of PKs, PPs and i expect him to be top 3 player in FEL. Burmistrovs next step is dominating with grown mens which can be huge step to everyone but Granlunds next step is produce in NHL. So at this point Granlund is ahead burmistrov as a player. It's only my opinion but i talk what i've seen past 2-3 years.

thomast is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 07:36 PM
  #21
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/user/nhldraftvideo

JeromeHP is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
  #22
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,055
vCash: 500
is granlund a projected center or winger in the nhl?

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 08:02 PM
  #23
FOXHOUND*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Damn what a tease, the first video on there is a Seguin video haha
What he could do for our organization...

FOXHOUND* is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 08:02 PM
  #24
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
burmistrov goes

off
the
crossbar



http://www.youtube.com/user/nhldraft...33/kc9KE0PJPZg

and burmistrov feeds tarasenko slamdunk

http://www.youtube.com/user/nhldraft...83/5y9fURN8mo4

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
05-26-2010, 08:18 PM
  #25
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
is granlund a projected center or winger in the nhl?
if you ask him, hes a centerman first but he can play wing too. he played alot of wing this season.

theres absolutely no doubt in my mind, hes one heck of a player. hes as good as any other 17 yr old finn thats come out of that very respected national program.

it comes down to his size and lack of elite wheels. i prefer burmistrov over granlund.

i would also draft tarasenko before i take granlund.

either way, someone is going to get a very solid player whenn they take the little finn.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.