HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andreas Engqvist

Old
06-14-2010, 05:02 PM
LenineSDR

vCash: 500
Andreas Engqvist

Can someone give me some hindsight on this guy? He seems like a interesting player, with an nice frame (Big Right-Handed Center).

I have never seen him play, and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

LenineSDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

i can give you some hindsight in about 5 years.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He is a big centerman who doesn't use his size in terms of being physical. Could be a good 2nd line centre, but will probably be a solid 3rd line.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
He is a marginal player in the Swedish elite league (still young)..i dont expect a lot from him

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
scottyG

Plekanec was a potential 3rd line center now he is a #1.

Maybe this guy is our big right handed center we've been missing

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He is a big centerman who doesn't use his size in terms of being physical. Could be a good 2nd line centre, but will probably be a solid 3rd line.
That is the buzz in a nutshell. Good skater, but doesn't blow by anyone. Big and strong, but plays a smart defensive game rather than a physical one. Prefers to setup linemates rather than shoot, but can put the puck in the net. He spent the last half of '08/09 on the shelf with a wrist injury, and the first half of this season getting back in the swing of things. Had a really strong second half and playoffs on his way to a second silver medal in the Djurgarden system (where he really showed that there could be some untapped offensive potential with 5G, 13Pts in 16 games).

I think it's entirely likely that he suits up for the Habs really soon. Djurgarden's club director Tommy Engstrom has stated that upon signing his contract with Montreal, the understanding was that they would have Andreas for only one more year (this past year). He already has pretty much 4 full seasons in the Eliteserien at age 22, and seems like he's ready for the jump. edit: Forgot to mention, he's mentioned as a "loss" to the Djurgarden club for 2010/11 on the Eliteserien's main page (source).

I'd put his ceiling as high as 2nd line centre (on a decent to good team) who could be quite productive with a scoring winger on the left side. I'd optimistically put his floor at 3rd line (somewhat regardless of team depth, centre or wing), but he'll likely have to work his way up through the 4th line if Gomez, Plekanec, and Moore are still with the team next fall. Although he may have less raw potential than many saw in Chipchura, good news is that he's much less of a project, and might very well thrive in the meantime on a 4th line with wingers like Lapierre and Pyatt.

edit: And just to give you a tease, here's Engqvist's goal (at 2:43, off the post, catch, score) from the finals against HV71 that got 6% of the vote for SEL goal of the week.

Want to see him turn over the puck, lose his man turning the wrong way, and blowing coverage that almost leads to a goal? Zip to about 2:40 of this video on a chance that gets tipped up over the net.

Here (at 1:03) he is doing some good work with Klubertanz et al. Puck gets taken around the net, Engqvist goes right to the net taking two men with him, leaving room in the slot for the 3rd man high who makes no mistake. At 1:40, he almost saves a PP goal twice, but you can be the judge of what happens here. He sticks with the centre after losing the draw (don't know Djurgarden's system for covering points on the PK, but in the NHL that centre would have been traded off to a defenseman after losing the draw and Engqvist would have gone to the slot/point), then commits himself trying to block the shot, and loses position on his guy, and is unable to stop him from putting home the rebound with a second effort.

At about 0:35 of this video we see Engqvist on the PK again (getting beaten at the blueline as HV gains the zone, but after that isn't implicated in any way). He obviously plays on one of their main PK units (I've only shown them let up goals so far, but what else do you expect to find in highlights, really?). All is well though, that's him and his line out there getting a goal at 2:00, followed immediately by his own highlight goal.

Finally (yet ironically, since it's the FIRST game of the final), we start off this video with Engqvist showing some good eye-hand but getting robbed by the goalie at 0:17. He scores a nice goal at about 0:35, but I still hate that ugly yellow bucket.

Anyone who ends up poking through SEL highlights should know that he wears #21 on Djurgarden. Oh, and is sometimes THAT guy with the ugly yellow helmet. Don't even bother trying to read names at the bottom of those bloody orange jerseys.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-14-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Seems a bit harsh.
Looking at his team stats, he is 5th in his team and three of the guys preceeding him are older than him (including Klubertanz).
He was also part of the Swedish WC team and was 6th or 7th in TOI.
Looks like top-6 or nearly top-6 at 21 years old.

Given that, marginal is underevaluating him.
I would say his floor is third line and ceiling is top-6.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he had a good pregression in the SEL.
I dont know..we dont have a lot of succes with euros
free agent

Mikael Johansson and Janne Lahti come to my mind(both were good player oversea)...let just hope i'm wrong

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Mikael Johansson and Janne Lahti come to my mind(both were good player oversea)...let just hope i'm wrong
Youre right about that: i just looked up Lahti's points with the Bulldogs when he played there: 9 goals 9 assists in 65 games. Then he goes back to Sweden and gets a whopping 9 goals 9 goals 8 assists in 41 games!!

What the hell have the Canadiens seen in him?? And he's a big guy too, not a munchkin like Mikael Johansson...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Lucius

Quote:
I dont know..we dont have a lot of succes with euros
free agent

Luckily, all three of those guys are in fact different people

That said, the scout that found him did get canned a couple weeks ago. So that may or may not have a baring on the amount of confidence they have in him.

I think people here are overselling him. I think like any player, his floor would be more accurately described as back to the SEL. Odds are, I would guess, he starts the year in Hamilton and tries to work his way past Lapierre and any centres we sign/bring back. I could see him getting an earlier look than Trotter or Desharnais solely on being a more all around player. Which is to say: Desharnais on line 4 makes zero sense, Engqvist could fill in there, though.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Youre right about that: i just looked up Lahti's points with the Bulldogs when he played there: 9 goals 9 assists in 65 games. Then he goes back to Sweden and gets a whopping 9 goals 9 goals 8 assists in 41 games!!

What the hell have the Canadiens seen in him?? And he's a big guy too, not a munchkin like Mikael Johansson...
Finland, actually. Scarily enough, though, Lahti and Engqvist have some parallels in their paths to North America. Both made the top leagues in their respective countries at a young age, but spent most of those early years on bottom-6 duties where they developed decent two-way skills and had some success getting on the scoresheet.

Major differences are, it wasn't until Lahti was 24/25 that he showed even a glimmer of potential to make it in North America, whereas Engqvist (playing in a SEL that is noticeably deeper than the SM-Liiga was 5 years ago) showed enough promise early enough to be drafted as an overager imo (but wasn't), and already looks at least as polished at 22 as Lahti did at 24/25. That Engqvist has already spent so much time in Sweden's national program whereas Lahti barely got any chance with Finland is also somewhat representative of their relative "calibres". Also, it's much easier to find a role for a big RH centre with extensive PK experience if you have to.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-14-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old
06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

Hope we have the next Franzen

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Mike8

Quote:
He is a marginal player in the Swedish elite league (still young)..i dont expect a lot from him
I'm among his biggest detractors, but would not begin to say he's marginal in the SEL. Rather, he's a good player in the SEL.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:16 AM
GoHomez

He has had a solid development in Sweden, undrafted and came to an "elite organisation" (Djurgarden) at age 18. At that point he was hardly expected to be a true force in the SEL, and four years later he is on the national team, a weak one admitedly though.

I wouldnt count him out by any means, he obviously knows how to work hard and improve his game.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:18 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenineSDR View Post
Can someone give me some hindsight on this guy? He seems like a interesting player, with an nice frame (Big Right-Handed Center).

I have never seen him play, and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
I think he is an interesting player, he's got a big frame for sure and appears to be solid in his own end. My concern is his lack of quickness, but we'll have to see how he does on the smaller ice first to see what he can do. I watched a bunch of highlights all season long and saw a couple games in the playoffs and WC's. I like what I saw, especially that he scores most of his goals from in close, which imo we sorely need more of as we lack big strong players that can park themselves in front of the net. Looking forward to seeing what he does at camp in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
Hope we have the next Franzen
You have big hopes. I'd be happy if he was a 1/4th the player that Frazen is.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
ScopeHockey

Would Robert Lang be a fair comparison? Somewhat clumsy and not overly quick but big, smart, and effective...

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:23 AM
pc_md

Quote:
Given that, marginal is underevaluating him.
I would say his floor is third line and ceiling is top-6.
Wow, overhyping our prospects never stop. His floor is certainly lower thant that.

Quote:
You have big hopes. I'd be happy if he was a 1/4th the player that Frazen is.
Agreed. From watching him with team Sweden, he looked more like a decent 4th liner with size than anything else. Has a very good wrist shot and likes to drive the net but does not play physical and floats around too much to be a factor. Still a good prospect IMO but expectations (see above) on this board are way too high.

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Would Robert Lang be a fair comparison? Somewhat clumsy and not overly quick but big, smart, and effective...
I believe the expression would be "poor man's" Robert Lang, but yeah, it's fair enough from a fundamentals point of view (if you cancel Lang as a powerplay guy with Engqvist being a PK guy). Remember that even going back to Lang's first Olympic days he was known as a bit of a scorer, whereas Engqvist really isn't (more balanced, and less game-breaking ability).

Old
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
LenineSDR

Thanks a lot guys for your info on this guy, really appreciated!

LenineSDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:45 PM
goalchenyuk

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:46 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i can give you some hindsight in about 5 years.

He was a key part of our cup win thats for sure! Sucks that he had to go sign that big contract with Nashville, of all places

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post

He was a key part of our cup win thats for sure! Sucks that he had to go sign that big contract with Nashville, of all places
Gauthier

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote