HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canadiens Buyout Georges Laraque

Old
06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
What exactly was the problem in Montreal with Laraque? Why was he told to stay away from the team for the rest of the year? It must have been pretty serious, they removed him from the roster and everything.

I'll just say, it might not seem to make sense for most teams to offer him a contract, but Peters even got one last year. It could happen.

Sadly, enforcers aren't needed as much anymore. Brashear waived and sent to the AHL, Laraque bought out, both in one season.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
What exactly was the problem in Montreal with Laraque? Why was he told to stay away from the team for the rest of the year? It must have been pretty serious, they removed him from the roster and everything.

I'll just say, it might not seem to make sense for most teams to offer him a contract, but Peters even got one last year. It could happen.

Sadly, enforcers aren't needed as much anymore. Brashear waived and sent to the AHL, Laraque bought out, both in one season.
People didn't like him the first season with us, even though he averaged 1 fight every 3 games. He wasn't throwing a hit, he didn't fight, he was hurt, he would draw attention to himself. He'd go to the media saying he wanted more ice time, and other crap.

He was hurt a lot too. He wasn't the Laraque everyone else got. He almost like the Laraque who viewed himself as a goal scorer rather than an enforcer.

Now, our team toughness at this point lies in Travis Moen and Ryan O,bryne. O'bryne under Martin will probably be the 7th d, making Lapierre, or Gill the 2nd toughest. Yeah, a high school football team could beat up Montréal.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

It doesn't look like Laraque has the desire anymore. I don't know if it was the city, the contract, what, but he just didn't seem dedicated to being a top-calibre professional athlete anymore... purely an outsider gut feel, mind you, possibly totally wrong. But he didn't seem to hustle on the ice, showed no aggression or hostility, was more into talking about his role and his pop philosophy stuff off the ice than actually focusing on being the best hockey player he could.

End of the day, he couldn't play for the Habs. He just wasn't good enough. Gainey gave him a really good go last year in the playoffs, big chance at redemption, but Laraque never ran with it this year. He could have, instead he was slow and an absolute detriment to the team every time he stepped on the ice. It became an empty slot in the lineup having him dressed, so it was better not to dress him. But then he's a bit of a mini-circus on his own, so if he's never going to get dressed... send him home and buy him out.

A team probably will give him a camp tryout, though. I can't see anyone signing him first. On a tryout, he'll have to be a much much hungrier player than he was with the Habs. I don't expect he has the hunger anymore, his celebrity status (and I don't mean that in a bad way - he's doing fun stuff, good stuff with Haiti, it's all good, all reasonable life choices, so this should not read as any kind of indictment of him at all) seems like a better fit for him now than the life of a professional hockey player, especially one in a lower-line role where he has to constantly struggle to stay in the mix.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Laraques lost interest and focus after 2 injury riddled seasons. When the Haiti disaster happened Laraques was hit hard as he had extended family in the country. He went on a humanitarian mission to Haiti and was told by the Habs that his services would no longer be needed and he should take care of his personal issues and re-evaluate his commitment to being an NHL player.

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Laraques lost interest and focus after 2 injury riddled seasons. When the Haiti disaster happened Laraques was hit hard as he had extended family in the country. He went on a humanitarian mission to Haiti and was told by the Habs that his services would no longer be needed and he should take care of his personal issues and re-evaluate his commitment to being an NHL player.
Im not so sure about the fact youre bringing.

I thought he played for us, scored his only goal for Haïti.<

Then we told him to stay away from the team and then he went to Haïti.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Im not so sure about the fact youre bringing.

I thought he played for us, scored his only goal for Haïti.<

Then we told him to stay away from the team and then he went to Haïti.
Yep, thats what i was implying. His focus was not on NHL hockey "during" the Haiti disaster. He was told to go take care of his "issues" after he was a distraction. He left for Haiti shortly thereafter. It was amicable.

FanHabtic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Tomas W

He will play in Sweden next season...that is my guess.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote