New Houston Aeros Coach

Old
06-16-2010, 02:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
We don't need Walz, he hasn't been here in how many years? If we want a director of player personal, bring in a guy like Hendrickson.
That doesn't matter if he's been here or not. In fact, that actually might make him better suited for the job given the present state of the pipeline. Plus what does Hendrickson have on his resume that suggests he could be the liason between prospects and the big club besides housing James Sheppard?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Hendrickson I believe calls the games and is with the organization a lot. He's their commentator on FSN.

Thing is Walz hasn't worked with this organization in how many years? You bring in a guy like Hendrickson, who calls the games, who housed I believe more than Sheppard, and is part of this state (he's from Minnesota), he knows the youth here.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

None of that is in the job description though.

From Russo:
Quote:
--The Wild also plans to hire a director of player development by the end of the month. The goal is to create a seamless pipeline between the Wild’s prospects and the NHL team. The director of player development will spend roughly a week a month in Houston and one to two weeks a month working with draft picks who are playing junior hockey or in college.

Basically, he’ll be the point of contact between the prospects and the organization. Duane Sutter did this in Florida, Tom Fitzgerald in Pittsburgh when Fletcher was in both cities, so you can bet the Wild's new director of player development will be a former player. …
The job is to be someone who stands between the team's prospects, the AHL team and the needs of the organization. He will not be scouting future prospects, he will not be seen in a public eye and being from the state doesn't matter in this position. The job isn't one of goodwill; that's for the marketing department. This job is for the front office and one which will hopefully improve the broken down pipeline the Wild currently have for various reasons.

Old
06-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Hendrickson I believe calls the games and is with the organization a lot. He's their commentator on FSN.

Thing is Walz hasn't worked with this organization in how many years? You bring in a guy like Hendrickson, who calls the games, who housed I believe more than Sheppard, and is part of this state (he's from Minnesota), he knows the youth here.
Hendrickson does not call the games. He's in the FSN studio for pre/post game and between period stuff. He's like the Mike Milbury of Wild broadcasts with the exception being that he's not anywhere near as dumb as Milbury.

Well, maybe I went too far with that...

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:24 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
N

The job is to be someone who stands between the team's prospects, the AHL team and the needs of the organization. He will not be scouting future prospects, he will not be seen in a public eye and being from the state doesn't matter in this position. The job isn't one of goodwill; that's for the marketing department. This job is for the front office and one which will hopefully improve the broken down pipeline the Wild currently have for various reasons.
And since Hendrickson has worked with Minnesota before including with their prospects and does understand I would assume a little bit more of the organization than a guy like Walz (who also seems to be on the direction of being a coach and not a director of player personal), I would assume Hendrickson has the nod over a guy like Walz. Plus wouldn't you think it would be a step down for Walz to go from an assistant coach to pretty much a baby sitter?

Old
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
And since Hendrickson has worked with Minnesota before including with their prospects and does understand I would assume a little bit more of the organization than a guy like Walz (who also seems to be on the direction of being a coach and not a director of player personal), I would assume Hendrickson has the nod over a guy like Walz. Plus wouldn't you think it would be a step down for Walz to go from an assistant coach to pretty much a baby sitter?
I would prefer somebody with coaching accumen over somebody with PR accumen.

I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Bruno working with player development in the future. Who knows if he'd be interested but he has some great qualities (hockey sense, vision, grit) that would be very beneficial to an organization of they could rub off onto prospects with raw talent.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I'd just prefer the team to bring in someone who knows what they are doing and comes from outside the organization. Like Lifer said, the job is too important to make a couple good PR points and frankly the team has handled prospect development so badly a change is needed. An outsider can implement that much better.

Old
06-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
I know Lemaire is available, but NOOOO!
Heh.

Seriously, by the Wild way, I was thinking in terms of work ethic. Walz was the first real captain of the Wild in spirit and often in name, and I thought the work he showed and the example he set had a lot to do with the Wild's early success.

The Wild were rarely outworked in those early days, which is no longer the case. Imagine what effect a guy preaching the message of hard work and responsible 2 way play to guys like Pouliot and Voloschenko might have had.

As has been mentioned before, perhaps the Wild's problem isn't drafting so much as developing good NHL players.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Heh.

Seriously, by the Wild way, I was thinking in terms of work ethic. Walz was the first real captain of the Wild in spirit and often in name, and I thought the work he showed and the example he set had a lot to do with the Wild's early success.

The Wild were rarely outworked in those early days, which is no longer the case. Imagine what effect a guy preaching the message of hard work and responsible 2 way play to guys like Pouliot and Voloschenko might have had.

As has been mentioned before, perhaps the Wild's problem isn't drafting so much as developing good NHL players.

I believe that Walz had a huge part in helping Stamkos in his first year. He also helped Downie and some of the other younger guys. His attitude and work ethic with the young guys could be great. He was supposed to be an offensive player, went overseas and then came back to become a Selke finalist....who better to talk to/teach prospects than a guy who knows from experience?

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
I'd just prefer the team to bring in someone who knows what they are doing and comes from outside the organization.
Didn't they say they are looking for someone that was a former player?

Old
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Didn't they say they are looking for someone that was a former player?
Russo bet on it being a former player given the two directors of player development in Florida and Pittsburgh were former NHLers. However, that does not mean it will necessarily be a former Wild player. In fact, both Sutter and Fitzgerald did not play for the team they served as director of player development so it's entirely possible to have a former player who thankfully comes from outside the Wild organization.

Old
06-16-2010, 04:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Bring in Roenick!

Old
06-16-2010, 05:17 PM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

This Russo quote from last week seems to be foreshadowing that the job could be Walzie's:

Quote:
Walz has moved back to Minnesota, and with him home, it would be a cool thing if the Wild brought him in to work for them in some capacity. Who knows? But he's a good guy and great hockey man, and as I wrote in that column a few months back, he meant the world to youngsters in Tampa, like Steve Stamkos. Regardless, whether he's hired or not, since he's doing the Road Tour, you know he'll be visible and willing to help his old team in a number of ways.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 06:18 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes and a lot of players like Lemaire, so why didn't we keep him?

And I guess we should hire Therrin, I mean Crosby and Malkin seemed to like him. We should shy away from those types.

We don't need Walz, he hasn't been here in how many years? If we want a director of player personal, bring in a guy like Hendrickson.
jesus. alright, let me water that down for you. Stamkos seemed to think he(Walz) helped him quite a bit in quickly developing his potential. That better? essentially that's what the person in this new position would be doing. It isn't as if Walz is going to have a gigantic impact on how the Aeros or Wild are going to be playing the game. I'm still not sure why you'd be opposed.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote