HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can someone answer this question?

Old
06-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Youngblood93

vCash: 500
Can someone answer this question?

Why is it that non Kings fans or writers still think that we have a hole at the goaltending postion?

Quick just set the team record for wins and led the team to the playoffs for the first time since 2002

Bernier was AHL player/goaltender of the year, led the team to conf. finals

Zatkoff was a very good college goaltender and solid prospect

Jones led team to memorial cup tourny and was a member of team Canada @ WJC

Ersberg is a decent NHL back up

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
SLang

I think you answered your own question in the first line of your post - "non-Kings writers" - don't you know LA is a hockey wasteland?

I've always kinda liked it - I felt it gave the Kings an advantage sneaking up on teams. Damn you Drew Doughty for bringing the spotlight to LA!!!!

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:29 AM
onlyalad

because they look at stats not the play of the player.

Quick's place in the NHL
Games played 4th good
Wins 6th good
Shot against 9th out of his control
Most goals allowed 2nd bad (yeah I Know he played a lot of games)
Goals ave per game 15th average
Save % 31st very very bad.

The bottom three are not good.
they don't see how he plays or his ability. They see 31st in the league save % and middle of the pack goals per game and think back up goalie not a starter. The total goals against is skewed because of the number of games played, but most people look at one stat in a vacuum.

Last edited by onlyalad: 06-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.
onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Ollie Weeks

They watched us lose against Vancouver and then quickly checked Quick's save percentage.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The Kings have zero proven NHL goalies. Both Quick and Bernier have a ton of potential, but neither has proven anything yet. Hopefully, one of these goalies will realize their potential in NHL.

Quick had a fantastic January and was average the rest of the year and below average in the playoffs.

Bernier was a perfect 3-0 in his 3 games, but again, it was only 3 NHL games.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Youngblood93

Great feedback boys.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Because none of those goaltenders are proven #1's yet. Quick is the closest, but he isn't there yet and lacks consistency. We are definitely well set in goaltender depth, but none of them have risen to become the franchise goaltender and I think that is what the media is waiting on. We still have question marks back there. When we are set and someone is determined to be the absolute #1 for the predictable future, they will change their tune. Quick's records due to wins are largely a team stat. If you compare them to his GAA or save percentage, he has a long way to go still.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I don't get you guys................

we have the best goalies in decades
and you have nothing else to do than checking stats ?????????

We doesn't all of you guys checking stats that quickly when we talk about our 2nd line center.

I mean everyone is talking about his great shot and faceoff winning..........

If i check some stats quickly i see amazing 4 PPG with major PP time... does it point to a great shot ???

We should just ignore these stupid writers and other fanbases and keep focus on our real holes......

Kurrilino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 03:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post

We doesn't all of you guys checking stats that quickly when we talk about our 2nd line center.

If i check some stats quickly i see amazing 4 PPG with major PP time... does it point to a great shot ???

We should just ignore these stupid writers and other fanbases and keep focus on our real holes......
No one said it was a hole on this team, just that the media still views it as a question mark and I agree.

The biggest hole on this team is a top line winger, not a center or defenseman.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
No one said it was a hole on this team, just that the media still views it as a question mark and I agree.

The biggest hole on this team is a top line winger, not a center or defenseman.
uhmm.... if these goalies are really a question mark................
we have to question all except 3 players on our roster

Kurrilino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Please point out for me the last goaltender on a Cup winning team that had anything less than top 10 stats the season the team won the Cup.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:57 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:

This is a thread about goaltenders. Lay off Stoll for once. Your hate for him is getting tired and just plain annoying to be honest. If you care enough, write a strongly worded letter to Lombardi about it. Chances are he tosses it in the trash without a second's hesitation, but hey, you'd still have done something other than continue to whine about a center who, for all intents and purposes, has done exactly what he's been asked to do.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:00 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
This is a thread about goaltenders. Lay off Stoll for once. Your hate for him is getting tired and just plain annoying to be honest. If you care enough, write a strongly worded letter to Lombardi about it. Chances are he tosses it in the trash without a second's hesitation, but hey, you'd still have done something other than continue to whine about a center who, for all intents and purposes, has done exactly what he's been asked to do.
He doesn't hate Stoll. He just thinks Stoll's better suited for a 3rd line center.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
He doesn't hate Stoll. He just thinks Stoll's better suited for a 3rd line center.
He is better suited for the 3rd line but that doesn't mean we should ship him out for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, as has been Kurri's suggestion for weeks now. He's worth more to us than that.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:13 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
He is better suited for the 3rd line but that doesn't mean we should ship him out for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, as has been Kurri's suggestion for weeks now. He's worth more to us than that.
I think some would agree and some would disagree. The reason Stoll's name gets mentioned for a 2nd and/or 3rd is because we want to clear some cap space. True, if Stoll were to get traded, we'd have a question mark at #2 center. However, I'm a firm believer that if Stoll were to get traded, DL will have a replacement in mind.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
I think some would agree and some would disagree. The reason Stoll's name gets mentioned for a 2nd and/or 3rd is because we want to clear some cap space. True, if Stoll were to get traded, we'd have a question mark at #2 center. However, I'm a firm believer that if Stoll were to get traded, DL will have a replacement in mind.
If it's to clear cap space for a bigger piece, then I can understand. I'm just not going to throw him under the bus for "under-performing" because he hasn't. Anyway, this is a goalie discussion, so carry on...

Old
06-16-2010, 10:55 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
we have the best goalies in decades...
...and I'm the most optimistic person in the room right now!
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean much - and neither does your statement

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:35 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
what i find even more interestinger is the fact that some of these writers have also gone as far as to posit one of said "holes" would help a team like the Flyers (say) in need of quality goaltending.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:41 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
the first part doesn't quite jive with the second part.

trading Stoll to clear cap room only to bring in a replacement who'd also carry a cap hit.

unless that "replacement in mind" is coming from within the organization, meaning Brayden Schenn, what does his salary look like... including bonuses?

if Dean were to look outside the organization, where are you going to find a #2 for under $4Million? not only that, what kind of #2 center are you going to find for under $4Million?

the answer to A - is in the dumpster, and the answer to B - is either not a very good one, one less proven than Jarret Stoll or one much older than Jarret Stoll.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:27 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
I say we just all chip in and buy the guy a shooter-tutor, then lock him in an ice rink for a week-an-half and only feed him when mananges to hit the net , on average, 4 out of 5 times, rather than missing it that often.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I say we just all chip in and buy the guy a shooter-tutor, then lock him in an ice rink for a week-an-half and only feed him when mananges to hit the net , on average, 4 out of 5 times, rather than missing it that often.
Are you going to pay for all the broken glass panes behind the net?
A week and a half would be enough glass to use up most of the sand in the Mojave

Boba Fettuccine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Are you going to pay for all the broken glass panes behind the net?
A week and a half would be enough glass to use up most of the sand in the Mojave
Maybe we should tell him to "aim for the glass" and he'll start hitting the net more often?

P.S. In '93 I was in Calgary at the Saddledome when McGinnis blasted a shot that nearly took Kelly Hrudey's head off, caught the glass and shattered it into a million pieces. Stoll has a hard shot, but not nearly as hard as McGinnis did, not that I want to get in front of either one of them when they shoot.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote