HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils Interested In Semin? (NON BRODEUR)

Old
06-16-2010, 08:21 PM
dashtary*

vCash: 500
Devils Interested In Semin? (NON BRODEUR)

Quote:
One rumor has Brodeur being traded to the Washington Capitals for Alexander Semin. The Devils would be very interested in Semin but, again, Brodeur would have to agree to a trade.
As far as Ilya Kovalchuk signing with the Devils if they get Semin, that would undoubtedly help those chances but it does not address the financial aspects of keeping Kovalchuk.
---http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/06/devils_would_need_martin_brode.html

Honestly, nothing from NJ interests me for Semin other than the obvious, Zajac and Parise. I really doubt a deal could get done and do not understand why people are speculating him to NJ.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

vCash: 246
Forget Semin, they need to sign Satan.....

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I'm confused.

Your source for the Devils being interested in Semin is Rich Chere (who's a hack) commenting on an Eklund rumor which features Brodeur being traded?

Seriously?

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Kaen

I don't see a reason for the Devils to do this. It would just be a repeat of this year with Kovalchuk. They already have two of the best scoring wingers in the league anyways(if they resign Kovalchuk). Why would they trade for Semin?

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:28 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I'm confused.

Your source for the Devils being interested in Semin is Rich Chere (who's a hack) commenting on an Eklund rumor which features Brodeur being traded?

Seriously?
I didn't know who he was, so he is not reliable?

Old
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Lock it up. It's more nonsense stemming from Eklund.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I didn't know who he was, so he is not reliable?
For reporting the facts, he's all right. It's when he starts trying to give his own ideas about what the Devils might or might not want to do that he goes off the deep end. He also has the hockey mind of a twelve year old.

This is a response to an Eklund (!) rumor. There's absolutely nothing to this.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I could make a religious Devils/Semin joke right now, but I can't construct a good one right now .

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:32 PM
0V3CHKiN

Brodeur isn't getting moved anytime soon. Hard to say if McPhee would trade one of the better players in the league to a team the Caps have to play at least four times a season.

0V3CHKiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I'm confused.

Seriously?
Was thinking the exact same thing.

I don't think Semin would not fit in New Jersey at all.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:35 PM
dashtary*

You can close this then, thanks for the input guys.

Old
06-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Although I would agree that this rumor is ridiculous, I will say that three consecutive first round bounces doesn't fly and the Devils will probably have an interesting off season.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
Although I would agree that this rumor is ridiculous, I will say that three consecutive first round bounces doesn't fly and the Devils will probably have an interesting off season.
One can hope...

Old
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
We're hoping man. We need a puck-moving defenseman, a number 2 center, and another top-4 defenseman. We need that if Paul Martin re-signs so if he walks we're in a little bit of trouble. Time to see what we have in the farm.

That's a lot to acquire in one offseason.

So we're prepared to lose Clarkson, Langenbrunner, and other prospects to try to get something back.

If you want to read some suicidal stuff, just head to our board on July 1st when Martin walks, Kovy signs with the Rangers, and our key signing was Brad Lukowich.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
here's the main question. does brodeur's three straight first round exits guarantee another playoff embarrassment for the capitals or does the capitals firepower give brodeur his last realistic shot at a cup?

for myself, i would suggest the caps stay away from brodeur. he's not the answer

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:04 PM
baydrake
gutless performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I could make a religious Devils/Semin joke right now, but I can't construct a good one right now .
"idle hands" etc etc

baydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

When a team gets ousted by the 8th seed after leading 3-1, they are more then just a great goalie from the Cup. Capitals need some moves to be made on the blue-line and maybe play a little more conservative.

Old
06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Rugs by Resch

Quote:
Ya...interesting for the teams signing Martin and Kovalchuck. Im just wondering how putting Semin on the Devils (LOL ) would help as at all. Seriously just aquiring him from free agency would be horrible.

Rugs by Resch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2010, 11:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
When a team gets ousted by the 8th seed after leading 3-1, they are more then just a great goalie from the Cup. Capitals need some moves to be made on the blue-line and maybe play a little more conservative.
people things stuck in their heads sometimes so badly that what they actually see has no effect on them.

fact. washington lost 3 games after giving up 2 goals in regulation. their #1 ranked power play scored 1 goal in the series and none in the 4 games lost. now maybe a big dog defenseman, a more conservative game plan or slightly better goaltending would have resulted in a shutout in one of those games and changed the outcome, but the bare reality was that the caps scored 1 goal in 3 of the 4 L's.

it makes no sense to blame that on defense or style.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Well, NJ is definitely going to focus on their D. I see their offseason moves as:

-Kovalchuk's rights for Kaberle
-get one of Mitchell/Volchenkov/Clark
-get a decent back up
-get Lombardi

i'm not good at predicting moves, so its just a ballpark scenerio

Old
06-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
If you want to read some suicidal stuff, just head to our board on July 1st when Martin walks, Kovy signs with the Rangers, and our key signing was Brad Lukowich.

a couple of my Devils fan friends felt like taking a header off an overpass after the Kovalchuk trade. One loves bergfors...wouldnt ever shut up about the kid.

and then...

Old
06-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Infinite Vision*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
people things stuck in their heads sometimes so badly that what they actually see has no effect on them.

fact. washington lost 3 games after giving up 2 goals in regulation. their #1 ranked power play scored 1 goal in the series and none in the 4 games lost. now maybe a big dog defenseman, a more conservative game plan or slightly better goaltending would have resulted in a shutout in one of those games and changed the outcome, but the bare reality was that the caps scored 1 goal in 3 of the 4 L's.

it makes no sense to blame that on defense or style.
Yeah it is funny how they are seen as this offense only team who just can't get it done in the playoffs, yet the actual reason they lost that series was really just their inability to put the puck in the net, not keep it out. During the reg. season Washington's defensive stats were fairly good IIRC.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:53 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
The whole point of trading for Semin would be to get Kovalchuk to stay.

Then what happens? Semin is not a better player than either Parise or Kovalchuk. Are you going to trade significant assets just to have your returning player be buried on the 3rd line?

I suppose Semin could play the off wing, but even then Zajac is the only quality center who could feed him the puck.

And what happens when that isn't enough and Kovalchuk leaves anyway? Parise/Semin is a nice 1-2 punch a left wing but it still doesn't address our needs at center or defense.

Is Semin REALLY that big of an upgrade over Patrik Elias, a proven playoff performer who still produces very well and is one of the best two-way wingers in the game, to warrant moving considerable assets to a rival powerhouse team in your own conference?

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 12:59 AM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan87 View Post
Yeah it is funny how they are seen as this offense only team who just can't get it done in the playoffs, yet the actual reason they lost that series was really just their inability to put the puck in the net, not keep it out. During the reg. season Washington's defensive stats were fairly good IIRC.
Well their PK really was god awful. Teams (even SE division teams) scored on them as if they were playing NHL 10.

i2edAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Usually the tighter your defense is the more scoring opportunities will come. I agree that they were stale offensively and that stems from how bad their PP became. You just dont win in the PO's with bad PP and PK's.