HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
My thoughts exactly. Value wise, when you look at the goalie market the past couple of years, one might argue that this ain't a bad trade at all. Eller looks like a legitimate top-6 prospect. But given the overall circumstances, what Halak made in the very recent playoffs and the fact that our golden boy has had a tough go mentally, and a love-hate relationship with a very volatile fan base, I think Gauthier just put Price in an awful tough spot for a guy who's had a rollercoaster start to his career. We might just have lost both our young tenders... to get Lars Eller

Risky, RISKY move . I'm on record as not liking it one bit.
This team needs to take some risks. I would sooner fail trying that fail by sitting on our hands.

Gauthier didn't think this team was built to go deep into the playoffs next year and wants to change its image. For those tired of mediocrity, this was a bold move. For those afraid of change, it was a risky move.

Put me in the 'tired of medocrity' camp.

Old
06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133

Here's a Schultz fight with Dylan McIlrath.

Old
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

A quick note for my buddy FanHabtic (and the other MTL guys from the conversation):

First of all congratulations. Secondly, I said it would probably be St. Louis, and I said it would be Eller if it was St. Louis (not any of their more proven pieces).

Granted, I said it would be for Price, but I kind hit the nail on the head on that one.

Thanks for the discussion. It was fun times. Glad it's finally over. I hope to see FanHabtic around still, and good luck.

Old
Souvenirs

One positive from this trade: with the amount of people on RDS talkbacks and other websites saying ''bring da nordiques back I hate the Habs!!! imma burn ma jersey and buy a Bruins one then!!11!!'' we might get rid of a bunch of idiotic fans, probably the same who boo anthems and riot.

Old
tinyzombies

Why was this allowed to happen? I don't understand how incompetent people are continually allowed to run this team.

Lars Ellers?

Really despicable return. And they traded the wrong guy.

This is bizarro world.

Old
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
All the whining is reminiscent of the day we picked up Moore.
No kidding .......and yet, they will have no shame in cheering when they actually get to know Eller as a hockey player.....

Old
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

does anyone know if the press conference going to be on rds ? i really want to see what PG has to say

Old
06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Hugo Sham

why do people assume pleks is gone? i say this move frees up the 3 + mill for him

Old
HomaridII

What does this trade mean for Plekanec and Moore .. is Eller ready to be a no.2 center at the NHL level? or is he a replacement for Moore as a no.3?

Are the Habs switching him to wing to play in the top 6? Where do you guys see him fitting in?

Old
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
See this...This I find to be absolutely ****ing hilarious.

Halak "proved" he is a #1 NHL goalie, apparently. He did this by playing lights out for exactly one half season, consecutively.

You know, I look back a few years and Price did the EXACTLY SAME ****ING THING. Yet apparently, it doesn't count.

How the hell did Halak prove he is a #1 goalie? People are acting like we traded Luongo or Brodeur away. I will be the first to admit that Halak was incredible during the playoffs, but come on guys. It's not like he's been playing this great for years. The guy has a half season of #1 NHL experience. There are countless, COUNTLESS goalies who put up great numbers over the short term, and fizzle once they get promoted to #1.

For ****'s sake guys, it has happened to the HABS a bunch of times already! Theodore, Huet...These are guys who will be lucky to find work next year, after everyone thought they would become the next greatest goaltenders of all time.

Do you know FOR SURE what Halak will give you?

As for the trade, I guess I would have liked to get more, but I am stoked we got Eller...I wanted this guy in his draft year and I was really upset we didn't get him. He is going to be AWESOME for us.
Well it's not like Halak was a flash in the pan. Yes, he was drafted in the later rounds but has always excelled in all levels. He was the top goaltender in the AHL, and then stepped in when Huet went down. He's always put up pretty solid numbers in the NHL and this season he really showed what he can do.
If that's the return that Halak can fetch when his value is sky high, then so be it. People expecting Jeff Carter from PHI in return were dreaming.

Old
Komarov47

Time will say if Gauthier failed or not. Eller was the top prospect with the Blues, he's defenitely skilled, he could ba a Top 4 forward, i just think whether Gauthier have high hopes on Eller, whether he's been screw. I think a guy like Backes could have been on the package.. too bad... LARS ELLER, you're my man you ****in viking !

Old
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
I was hoping for a better summer of trades than last summer. This is not a good start - AT ALL! Trading our #1 goaltender for spare parts?
if he was our true num 1 goaltender, you think we would trade him?

as i said all along, this the season to juice up halak, he juiced himself up, and we got rewarded. yea hell be good, but price will be better. and thats exactly what Gainey thought, exactly what Bowman thought and exactly what PG is thinking. Rather side on side of 3 GM's then bunch of pissed of people spewing hate because they ve been defending halak's God like mode for so long (1 season). All emotions, we still have team next year, and im sure the smart move was made.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
icerocket

Seriously.

People have over-valued what goalies are worth in the NHL now.

The 2 SC finalists this year had basically scrub goalies.

Old
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
why do people assume pleks is gone? i say this move frees up the 3 + mill for him
Trade Halak and let's sign all the wimps. Can't wait for the future.

Old
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

out of curiosity. What other players does Walsh represent? Any of them coming off a contract or what have his recent deals looked like?

Old
bipolarhabfan

I am happy with this trade. For starters, Halak's agent is an ahole. Walsh will probably be looking for a contract between 4 to 5 million per season. Moreover, the goalie market is at an all time low right now with the play of no names such as Leighton and Niemi in the playoffs. Consequently, a return of Eller and Schultz is very good. This last point is just a gut feeling. Halak will go the way of Theodore.

Old

there's nothing the Habs could do which would satisfy fans...NOTHING!

this reminds of me of the Gomez trade, or the signings of Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, or the trade for Domenic Moore, or drafting Carey Price, or trading Huet, or trading Theodore, or trading Latendresse, etc...

In other words...people who have NO CLUE about Eller or Schultz will bash the Habs, fans of opposing teams will join in on the pile on session, etc...

typical HF, typical Habs fans

Old
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
All the whining is reminiscent of the day we picked up Moore.
Or the day we traded Roy and Keane?

Just saying. It could go either way.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Wtf???

I love Jaro!

This was dumb, dumb, dumb

Old
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post

So Lets see........Eller has played a grand total of 7 NHL games (scored 2 goals 0 assists) and "Schultz can throw them"?

Have the Habs jumped from the frying pan into the fire by replacing Gainey with Gauthier?

WOW!

Old
06-17-2010, 03:04 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I am happy with this trade. For starters, Halak's agent is an ahole. Walsh will probably be looking for a contract between 4 to 5 million per season. Moreover, the goalie market is at an all time low right now with the play of no names such as Leighton and Niemi in the playoffs. Consequently, a return of Eller and Schultz is very good. This last point is just a gut feeling. Halak will go the way of Theodore.
Halak's game has all the lateral strengths Theodore's had and his determination, plus he's just a smarter goalie.

I really cannot believe this. What more did the guy have to do to prove himself?

I look at Price and I just don't see elite. I look at Halak and I see a dynamic goaltender.

St. Louis just pulled off a major steal.

Old
Canadian_Brewtality

Ahem, can someone re-open that Price to tampa thread?

Its like im nostradamus.

Old
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Or the day we traded Roy and Keane?

Just saying. It could go either way.
Halak is no Roy. Get that thought out of your head.

Old
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
That was my first feeling.....less money to invest in the G....leaves more for resigning Plek....or sign someone else....even perhaps both!

Old
Der Schweinehund

Just looking up Pierre Gauthier and went to Wikipedia. Nice update...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Gauthier

"He has preformed the biggest moronic trade since trading Patrick Roy, by trading Halak to St-Louis for two nobodies."

Closed Thread