HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2010, 05:08 PM
CrazyShea

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Well that's a stretch. That's his upside.

Going by that logic, Habs probably traded away a future 3 times SC winning goaltender who's gonna be a first ballot Hall of famer.

Let's face it, Habs traded away their regular season (as soon as he took over the number one goalie job he was the MVP) and playoffs MVP.
Yeah too bad the Habs management don't evaluate players based on one season. You would make a awesome GM.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
jcbio11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
jesus man give it up. habs made it to 2nd round with price as a 20 year old 2 years ago...when they dealt the magical cristobal huet and rode price to 104 pts.

he's not as **** as you'd like him to be
In no way am I bashing Price. I actually think he's a good goalie. I do however believe Halak > Price.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Sorry guys, Ellers isn't bad.

You still have Price.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Apparently on Team 990 it was mentioned that if Halak does sign with them, we get someone else or a pick.
i hope so but i doubt it...isnt that the same station that said perron was going the other way?

Old
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
TheBuriedHab

And Don't Right off this Shultz guy right away either. I know nothing about him but Montreal seems to get good players that are virtual throw ins in the deals they make. big kid apparently, tough. Hmmm I like.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
Well that's a stretch. That's his upside.

Going by that logic, Habs probably traded away a future 3 times SC winning goaltender who's gonna be a first ballot Hall of famer.

Let's face it, Habs traded away their regular season (as soon as he took over the number one goalie job he was the MVP) and playoffs MVP.
That description applied to Theodore once, you know. Just saying. I don't think Halak will fail and I certainly wish him success, but no one knows how it will turn out.

Statistics thread comparing the two of them for years = FFFUUUU

Old
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Lucius

Quote:
In no way am I bashing Price. I actually think he's a good goalie. I do however believe Halak > Price.
Fair enough, but that's not the only factor.

Does Halak at what he would need salary wise > Price at what he will get?

Also look at the return. Halak is at an all time high in terms of value, thus we got an elite prospect. Price is at an all time low.

To me we still have solid goaltending and now we have a top tier prospect at a position we lacked one at.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Some of you posters are like the guy who called into the Ottawa radio after the trade was announced.

"Terrible trade for the Habs...I don't know who those two guys are, but I know it's a terrible trade"

Simply uninformed. Great stats as a 19 year old in the SEL and great stats as a rookie in the AHL. Plus a guy with grit.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
sheed36

I guess we can expect Biron to sign with the Habs as a backup now...

Old
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
FlyingRat

This trade shows that Pierre Gauthier doesn't cave in from fan pressure, which makes me really happy.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Gaston Gingras

Lars Eller = First line Center, many scouts compare him to Yzerman
I am fine with this trade

Old
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
I'm just worried some people will have nothing left to talk about with the goalie debate over.

Old
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Some of you posters are like the guy who called into the Ottawa radio after the trade was announced.

"Terrible trade for the Habs...I don't know who those two guys are, but I know it's a terrible trade"

Simply uninformed. Great stats as a 19 year old in the SEL and great stats as a rookie in the AHL. Plus a guy with grit.
Exactly no one in here knows **** about these two players and are already calling it a bad trade.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Price struggled. But why do people assume that his struggles had everything to do with pressure? Or that he choked? I think he's just a normal developing goalie that hit some rough patches in his career. Is it rare? Steve Mason, or Marc-André Fleury anyone?
I don't think Halak handled pressure better. He just played better. Price had to be more experienced and become more mature.
lol. Isn't that kinda how it works: obvious pressure situation -> handle the pressure -> play better? The media was in Halak's face after every game and he seemed to have absolutely no trouble dealing with the pressure and expectations and always came across as a hard-working and modest team guy. Price was put in a pressure situation (#1 goalie in Montreal) with the expectation that it would be impossible to dethrone him (especially after that first year, and everything that happened). He did lose his spot, though, to a guy who played lights-out despite the pressure of having dethroned the king (or Jesus, or whatever).

I know what you're saying though. You're reluctant to say that Halak out-performing Price has anything to do with either's ability to handle pressure. I dunno, it's kind of a useless topic to get deep into (not that I mind, lol), but I have a hard time anyone would voice an opinion like the bolded above unless they had at least something (even simply better speculation than those who would disagree with you) concrete to go on. I mean, even if Price didn't handle the pressure poorly, you don't think Halak handled it at least just a liiiittle bit better? Not at all?

I've been told over and over again that, on top of the obvious physical advantages, Price is more talented than Halak, so what WAS it that led to Halak being the chosen guy for the playoff run? I'd have to say it was at least in part their ability to perform under pressure this year. You said it yourself that he had to become more mature, but you don't associate that at all with learning to deal with the pressure of the situation? That seems a bit incongruous to me.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
FlyingRat

L'Antichambre will be fantastic tonight.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm just worried some people will have nothing left to talk about with the goalie debate over.
I like your optimism. Watch the stats comparison between MTL and STL defense all season long

Old
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Thank you, just so there are no MORE Halak Price posts !
You're not serious? Just wait for the training camp, the first defeat in pre-season game, the first injury ... It's gonna be like Pouliot-Latendresse once again but with different names.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
lol. Isn't that kinda how it works: obvious pressure situation -> handle the pressure -> play better? The media was in Halak's face after every game and he seemed to have absolutely no trouble dealing with the pressure and expectations and always came across as a hard-working and modest team guy. Price was put in a pressure situation (#1 goalie in Montreal) with the expectation that it would be impossible to dethrone him (especially after that first year, and everything that happened). He did lose his spot, though, to a guy who played lights-out despite the pressure of having dethroned the king (or Jesus, or whatever).

I know what you're saying though. You're reluctant to say that Halak out-performing Price has anything to do with either's ability to handle pressure. I dunno, it's kind of a useless topic to get deep into (not that I mind, lol), but I have a hard time anyone would voice an opinion like the bolded above unless they had at least something (even simply better speculation than those who would disagree with you) concrete to go on. I mean, even if Price didn't handle the pressure poorly, you don't think Halak handled it at least just a liiiittle bit better? Not at all?

I've been told over and over again that, on top of the obvious physical advantages, Price is more talented than Halak, so what WAS it that led to Halak being the chosen guy for the playoff run? I'd have to say it was at least in part their ability to perform under pressure this year. You said it yourself that he had to become more mature, but you don't associate that at all with learning to deal with the pressure of the situation? That seems a bit incongruous to me.
Sorry, Halak had NO WHERE NEAR the amount of pressure Price had in their young careers. Not even close.

Old
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
And Don't Right off this Shultz guy right away either. I know nothing about him but Montreal seems to get good players that are virtual throw ins in the deals they make. big kid apparently, tough. Hmmm I like.
Never a smart thing to do, but like I said in the other thread, my brother just got a text from a scout friend in Calgary who simply wrote: "Shultz... L.O.L." - and not in a good way. Despite how he might look in the WHL, and the zeal with which he plays the game, apparently the fundamentals are still a bit lacking right now. He'll have to work pretty hard to become a full-time NHLer some day. At least that's the buzz from guys who see him play every day (relayed by only one of the guys that watches him play every day, though, admittedly).

Old
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I like your optimism. Watch the stats comparison between MTL and STL defense all season long
Exactly, it's gonna get even more complicated now as they won't have the same team in front of them. Now you'll have to factor in different defense, different conference etc.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
CPrice

Lars Eller:

Favorite team: Canucks
Favorite player: Alfredsson

Injury issues when he was drafted.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
holyhabs

Not really surprised we traded Halak. I always had the feeling something was a little "off" with the realtionship between him, his agent and the orgainzation.

I am a little suprised at what we got in return though. Althought I must say after reading up on both players they fit our needs perfectly.

As of right now, I think it is safe to say the Blue win the trade.

But if Ellers and Price become what they can, we win this and it is not even close.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:25 PM
habbie67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Apparently on Team 990 it was mentioned that if Halak does sign with them, we get someone else or a pick.
I heard that too but im pretty sure he said it was just him speculating. Unless they mentioned it at another time

Old
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Sorry, Halak had NO WHERE NEAR the amount of pressure Price had in their young careers. Not even close.
agreed if jaro had come up as a 20 yo with price's expectations i don't think he survives

Old
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
So what about that time when Halak was thrown into the NHL and management was like "go dude, save the season!" And he actually almost did, Huet played the last game though (this was a good call at the time though).

Then this year, Halak carries the Habs on his back into the playoffs and wins two games 7 in the playoffs, not to mention against offensive powerhouses, who dominated the play.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that Halak was older this season, but saying Halak had nowhere near the amount of pressure Price had is ridiculous.

Last edited by jcbio11: 06-17-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Closed Thread