HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak Traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2010, 05:08 PM
  #701
CrazyShea
Registered User
 
CrazyShea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Well that's a stretch. That's his upside.

Going by that logic, Habs probably traded away a future 3 times SC winning goaltender who's gonna be a first ballot Hall of famer.

Let's face it, Habs traded away their regular season (as soon as he took over the number one goalie job he was the MVP) and playoffs MVP.
Yeah too bad the Habs management don't evaluate players based on one season. You would make a awesome GM.

CrazyShea is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
  #702
jcbio11
Registered User
 
jcbio11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,135
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
jesus man give it up. habs made it to 2nd round with price as a 20 year old 2 years ago...when they dealt the magical cristobal huet and rode price to 104 pts.

he's not as **** as you'd like him to be
In no way am I bashing Price. I actually think he's a good goalie. I do however believe Halak > Price.

jcbio11 is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
  #703
Hero
Buffy is Back
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,276
vCash: 500
Sorry guys, Ellers isn't bad.

You still have Price.

Hero is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
  #704
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Apparently on Team 990 it was mentioned that if Halak does sign with them, we get someone else or a pick.
i hope so but i doubt it...isnt that the same station that said perron was going the other way?

HabsoluteFate is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
  #705
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,211
vCash: 500
And Don't Right off this Shultz guy right away either. I know nothing about him but Montreal seems to get good players that are virtual throw ins in the deals they make. big kid apparently, tough. Hmmm I like.

TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
  #706
MicroFracture
Registered User
 
MicroFracture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Well that's a stretch. That's his upside.

Going by that logic, Habs probably traded away a future 3 times SC winning goaltender who's gonna be a first ballot Hall of famer.

Let's face it, Habs traded away their regular season (as soon as he took over the number one goalie job he was the MVP) and playoffs MVP.
That description applied to Theodore once, you know. Just saying. I don't think Halak will fail and I certainly wish him success, but no one knows how it will turn out.

Statistics thread comparing the two of them for years = FFFUUUU

MicroFracture is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
  #707
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
In no way am I bashing Price. I actually think he's a good goalie. I do however believe Halak > Price.
Fair enough, but that's not the only factor.

Does Halak at what he would need salary wise > Price at what he will get?

Also look at the return. Halak is at an all time high in terms of value, thus we got an elite prospect. Price is at an all time low.

To me we still have solid goaltending and now we have a top tier prospect at a position we lacked one at.

Lucius is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
  #708
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,782
vCash: 612
Some of you posters are like the guy who called into the Ottawa radio after the trade was announced.

"Terrible trade for the Habs...I don't know who those two guys are, but I know it's a terrible trade"

Simply uninformed. Great stats as a 19 year old in the SEL and great stats as a rookie in the AHL. Plus a guy with grit.

le_sean is online now  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
  #709
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,221
vCash: 500
I guess we can expect Biron to sign with the Habs as a backup now...

sheed36 is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
  #710
FlyingRat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
This trade shows that Pierre Gauthier doesn't cave in from fan pressure, which makes me really happy.

FlyingRat is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
  #711
Gaston Gingras
Registered User
 
Gaston Gingras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Lars Eller = First line Center, many scouts compare him to Yzerman
I am fine with this trade

Gaston Gingras is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
  #712
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,755
vCash: 152
I'm just worried some people will have nothing left to talk about with the goalie debate over.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
  #713
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Some of you posters are like the guy who called into the Ottawa radio after the trade was announced.

"Terrible trade for the Habs...I don't know who those two guys are, but I know it's a terrible trade"

Simply uninformed. Great stats as a 19 year old in the SEL and great stats as a rookie in the AHL. Plus a guy with grit.
Exactly no one in here knows **** about these two players and are already calling it a bad trade.

CPrice is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
  #714
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 25,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Price struggled. But why do people assume that his struggles had everything to do with pressure? Or that he choked? I think he's just a normal developing goalie that hit some rough patches in his career. Is it rare? Steve Mason, or Marc-André Fleury anyone?
I don't think Halak handled pressure better. He just played better. Price had to be more experienced and become more mature.
lol. Isn't that kinda how it works: obvious pressure situation -> handle the pressure -> play better? The media was in Halak's face after every game and he seemed to have absolutely no trouble dealing with the pressure and expectations and always came across as a hard-working and modest team guy. Price was put in a pressure situation (#1 goalie in Montreal) with the expectation that it would be impossible to dethrone him (especially after that first year, and everything that happened). He did lose his spot, though, to a guy who played lights-out despite the pressure of having dethroned the king (or Jesus, or whatever).

I know what you're saying though. You're reluctant to say that Halak out-performing Price has anything to do with either's ability to handle pressure. I dunno, it's kind of a useless topic to get deep into (not that I mind, lol), but I have a hard time anyone would voice an opinion like the bolded above unless they had at least something (even simply better speculation than those who would disagree with you) concrete to go on. I mean, even if Price didn't handle the pressure poorly, you don't think Halak handled it at least just a liiiittle bit better? Not at all?

I've been told over and over again that, on top of the obvious physical advantages, Price is more talented than Halak, so what WAS it that led to Halak being the chosen guy for the playoff run? I'd have to say it was at least in part their ability to perform under pressure this year. You said it yourself that he had to become more mature, but you don't associate that at all with learning to deal with the pressure of the situation? That seems a bit incongruous to me.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:18 PM
  #715
FlyingRat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
L'Antichambre will be fantastic tonight.

FlyingRat is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:19 PM
  #716
Max Levine
Registered User
 
Max Levine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm just worried some people will have nothing left to talk about with the goalie debate over.
I like your optimism. Watch the stats comparison between MTL and STL defense all season long

Max Levine is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
  #717
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Thank you, just so there are no MORE Halak Price posts !
You're not serious? Just wait for the training camp, the first defeat in pre-season game, the first injury ... It's gonna be like Pouliot-Latendresse once again but with different names.

kent_carlson is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
  #718
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
lol. Isn't that kinda how it works: obvious pressure situation -> handle the pressure -> play better? The media was in Halak's face after every game and he seemed to have absolutely no trouble dealing with the pressure and expectations and always came across as a hard-working and modest team guy. Price was put in a pressure situation (#1 goalie in Montreal) with the expectation that it would be impossible to dethrone him (especially after that first year, and everything that happened). He did lose his spot, though, to a guy who played lights-out despite the pressure of having dethroned the king (or Jesus, or whatever).

I know what you're saying though. You're reluctant to say that Halak out-performing Price has anything to do with either's ability to handle pressure. I dunno, it's kind of a useless topic to get deep into (not that I mind, lol), but I have a hard time anyone would voice an opinion like the bolded above unless they had at least something (even simply better speculation than those who would disagree with you) concrete to go on. I mean, even if Price didn't handle the pressure poorly, you don't think Halak handled it at least just a liiiittle bit better? Not at all?

I've been told over and over again that, on top of the obvious physical advantages, Price is more talented than Halak, so what WAS it that led to Halak being the chosen guy for the playoff run? I'd have to say it was at least in part their ability to perform under pressure this year. You said it yourself that he had to become more mature, but you don't associate that at all with learning to deal with the pressure of the situation? That seems a bit incongruous to me.
Sorry, Halak had NO WHERE NEAR the amount of pressure Price had in their young careers. Not even close.

m00ks is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
  #719
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 25,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
And Don't Right off this Shultz guy right away either. I know nothing about him but Montreal seems to get good players that are virtual throw ins in the deals they make. big kid apparently, tough. Hmmm I like.
Never a smart thing to do, but like I said in the other thread, my brother just got a text from a scout friend in Calgary who simply wrote: "Shultz... L.O.L." - and not in a good way. Despite how he might look in the WHL, and the zeal with which he plays the game, apparently the fundamentals are still a bit lacking right now. He'll have to work pretty hard to become a full-time NHLer some day. At least that's the buzz from guys who see him play every day (relayed by only one of the guys that watches him play every day, though, admittedly).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:23 PM
  #720
jcbio11
Registered User
 
jcbio11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,135
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I like your optimism. Watch the stats comparison between MTL and STL defense all season long
Exactly, it's gonna get even more complicated now as they won't have the same team in front of them. Now you'll have to factor in different defense, different conference etc.

jcbio11 is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
  #721
CPrice
Registered User
 
CPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Lars Eller:

Favorite team: Canucks
Favorite player: Alfredsson

Injury issues when he was drafted.


CPrice is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:24 PM
  #722
holyhabs
Registered User
 
holyhabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 500
Not really surprised we traded Halak. I always had the feeling something was a little "off" with the realtionship between him, his agent and the orgainzation.

I am a little suprised at what we got in return though. Althought I must say after reading up on both players they fit our needs perfectly.

As of right now, I think it is safe to say the Blue win the trade.

But if Ellers and Price become what they can, we win this and it is not even close.

holyhabs is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:25 PM
  #723
habbie67
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Apparently on Team 990 it was mentioned that if Halak does sign with them, we get someone else or a pick.
I heard that too but im pretty sure he said it was just him speculating. Unless they mentioned it at another time

habbie67 is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
  #724
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Sorry, Halak had NO WHERE NEAR the amount of pressure Price had in their young careers. Not even close.
agreed if jaro had come up as a 20 yo with price's expectations i don't think he survives

Hugo Sham is offline  
Old
06-17-2010, 05:27 PM
  #725
jcbio11
Registered User
 
jcbio11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,135
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Sorry, Halak had NO WHERE NEAR the amount of pressure Price had in their young careers. Not even close.
So what about that time when Halak was thrown into the NHL and management was like "go dude, save the season!" And he actually almost did, Huet played the last game though (this was a good call at the time though).

Then this year, Halak carries the Habs on his back into the playoffs and wins two games 7 in the playoffs, not to mention against offensive powerhouses, who dominated the play.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that Halak was older this season, but saying Halak had nowhere near the amount of pressure Price had is ridiculous.


Last edited by jcbio11: 06-17-2010 at 05:33 PM.
jcbio11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.