HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak Traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
EKLUND

June 16, 2010, 12:49 PM ET
Canadiens Leaning Towards Moving Price.

June 17, 2010, 3:03 PM ET
Halak traded to Blues, Lars Eller and others go back

lol + lol = LOL

Old
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i CANNOT wait to pull this thread up again in the future so that i can quote every fool who posted in here to make them eat crow.

Lars will be the ****ing man.

I've seen him play (unlike 90% of people complaining about him here) and i LIKED what i saw. This reminds me of when i first saw Cammy play for the Kings...i knew right away i wanted that guy on the habs....i was so freakin' happy when we signed him.

Cammy on Lars's wing....it's going to be SWEET.

The Habs are getting BIGGER, MEANER AND BETTER.

Or you could all spare yourselves some embarassment and stop posting non-sense about "getting more for Halak". Especially since this is the first time since Garon that the habs trade a goalie and get more than an excellent return for him.
i hope i eat crow then because it means it was a good deal lol

Old
sampollock

i will tell ya,

mtl had no choice, halak will want 4-5 mil, mtl can't pay that,

besides, i don't think peirre is done, as watch him get active in the ufa, and try something big, like saving 7.5 mil by not siging halak and plec

i think plec's days are numbered, they did not care for no points and no playoff success.

Old
JrHockeyFan

It's entirely possible that Halak may have just had the best year of his career, past and future. If such is the case, dealing him may have been the right move.

I'll have to see more about the guys we picked up before beating up on Gauthier. They have size, which everybody says we need. Eller appears to having scoring chops

Anyway, I would have preferred keeping both guys a bit longer so that they could both push each other, while giving us great flexibility in net. Too bad.

Time to support our guy Price, because he is a Hab and Halak no longer is.

Thanks for the great work Jaro. Good luck in the Western Conference

Old
06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

woah wait schultz was captain in calgary?? oh man we got a josh gorges only on offense now!! **** YES

Old
06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
From Bob Mckenzie's twitter:

" Eller is a good prospect. Good combination of skill and edge. "
hahahaha

edit: it's not that funny when you don't see the other quote.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
sampollock

funny years ago , lots of hab fans were mad over the drafting of a koviu.

and then what??

to early folks

what if this shultz comes on like a lucic?

Old
06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
There is more chance Pleks gonna be re-signed. both parties are sounding very positive about the negotiations...

And there is no way Ellers is ready for top minutes at NHL level.
I bet you Plek is not resigned and they go after a guy like Frolov to play with Eller and Cammie.....(would make them bigger and keep the skills level).....

I dont hate Plek...but PG stated in the press conference that Eller was ready now......

Old
06-17-2010, 06:50 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
EKLUND

June 16, 2010, 12:49 PM ET
Canadiens Leaning Towards Moving Price.

June 17, 2010, 3:03 PM ET
Halak traded to Blues, Lars Eller and others go back

proves again, he knows squat

Old
06-17-2010, 06:50 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
lol well it's a start compared to the cupcakes in our top 6 ..yes i'm looking at you benny and balditsyn
Kostitsyn is enigmatic and looks unenthusiastic 90% of the time, but he's still the guy who put lucic, chara and countless others on their *****. When he's on his game, he can knock down almost anyone in this league. I don't think he's a cream puff, just that he doesn't know where he is most of the time.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
I bet you Plek is not resigned and they go after a guy like Frolov to play with Eller and Cammie.....(would make them bigger and keep the skills level).....

I dont hate Plek...but PG stated in the press conference that Eller was ready now......
agreed!

plec's is not coming back, his rights will be traded in the next few days

Old
JohnnyB11

Good trade for a number of reasons.

Realistically, the Habs needed to deal either Price or Halak. It's nice to imagine keeping both into next season but it simply wasn't possible. I'm a big Halak fan, but smart to deal him, I think ultimately it's Price who will have the bigger career and Halak's value was at it's peak. What do we get for Halak if he didn't have that playoff performance? Now both Halak and Price have the chance to be #1 on their respective teams.

Halak dealt to the West. Thank you very much, we don't need to see him come back and haunt us too often.

I've been pretty underwhelmed by the Habs ability to draft well, at least in the early rounds. Sure, they've made some good calls, but overall I don't think getting picks in return is as valuable as getting prospects for this team. Since they don't draft well, the value of a 1st or 2nd rounder in the hands of the Habs isn't as great as it is with a team that drafts better.

So, they got 2 prospects that help to address their weaker areas for an RFA goalie who had a stellar playoff. Eller looks like a great addition. You gotta give to get, remember that.

Just give it some time, I think we'll see this works out OK.

Old
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Really? That's good news as i'll I've heard is that he projects like 'jamal myers' kinda guy. If he can turn into a Chris Neil kinda player, although i'm not sure at all if it's in his scope, i've never seen him play,I'll be ecstatic.
Read previous page....I suggested Nilan and Tiger Williams, I read that on a website earlier....and liked the comparisson....I am not saying he will be, I truely dont know him enough...but I love what I know of him....(what a killer left hook!)

Old
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
funny years ago , lots of hab fans were mad over the drafting of a koviu.

and then what??

to early folks

what if this shultz comes on like a lucic?
Well, I've heard from two scouts now that are out in Calgary watching this guy every day who don't fancy his chances of becoming a quality full-time NHLer (one who has seen this Jamal Meyers comparison refers to it as "optimistic"), so I wouldn't hold my breath for that pipe dream.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Kostitsyn is enigmatic and looks unenthusiastic 90% of the time, but he's still the guy who put lucic, chara and countless others on their *****. When he's on his game, he can knock down almost anyone in this league. I don't think he's a cream puff, just that he doesn't know where he is most of the time.
Maybe he would with another team ? Hopefully !

Maybe Eller can play wings with Cammy and a re-signed Pleks ?

Old
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Funny enough, so was I. I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I've always gotten the impression that inside the locker room (and perhaps even in Montreal in general... outside of the extremists) there wasn't going to be that much pressure on Price to be perfect in his first couple of years, even after displacing Huet at such a young age. I mean, he wasn't out-performing the guy who was moved to make room for him, and he was (is) still super young and exceeding realistic expectations. As long as he was playing well enough to earn his 50/60 starts I think everyone would have continued to have patience with him.

In fact, hasn't this turned out to be exactly the case? Two goalies have been here in Price's time, and both, in fact, out-performed him leading up to when hard decisions had to be made. Regardless of whatever pressures are created and talked about in the media, as a competitor (like all pro athletes are) I think the REAL pressure (as felt by the player) since Huet was moved for Price is always going to be on the guy sitting in the room who thinks he's battling Price for the #1 job +and wonders what he is gonna have to do to get a fair shake; especially if that guy is ever perceived as having "stolen" the job from Price. Can't have one bad period, let alone one bad game, or it's back to Price for a few weeks. Halak made the mistake of not having a brilliant ECF, and look what that got him... if they HAD made it to the finals on the back of another strong series from Halak. Is PG still that reluctant to hand over up to $4 mil for him? Even for just a year or two? Would it even make sense not to?

Which is to say, I don't think the external pressures are felt by these guys as much as the pressures they feel from their employers, coaches, and team mates; even in Montreal. The pressure in Montreal, imo, has always come more from the sense of tradition (and responsibility to it), and meeting the living legends face to face who hold you to it. Much more than whatever dealings you have with the media, fans, etc. And that's probably where we'll have our disconnect when trying to discuss "dealing with pressure".
And we really have a disconnect since I don't know how much pressure Price can feel from coaches who keep playing him and GMs whose defended him time and time again. If anything he should have a better sense of security with the patience the organization has repeatedly displayed towards him. I would imagine fans in your own rink jeering you for a bad goal or booing you for a loss (though COMPLETELY undeserved) contribute a lot more to the pressure felt by a player to perform and meet ridiculous expectations.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:55 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Well, I've heard from two scouts now that are out in Calgary watching this guy every day who don't fancy his chances of becoming a quality full-time NHLer (one who has seen this Jamal Meyers comparison refers to it as "optimistic"), so I wouldn't hold my breath for that pipe dream.
i'd rather have Crombeen from the Blues than Shultz.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
everyone and their dog said Daigle would be a franchise player...how did that turn out....

the point is you cant tell what your going to get with a prospect and thats what people are mostly pissed off about...

lol i just noticed it was st louis that made the trade with Colorado...looks like they found their relacement for Eller already
dont take it too hard HabsoluteFate....they traded your golden boy just like I said they would all during the playoffs and it wouldnt have mattered who they picked up you would still think it was a bad trade..... Halak is GONE time to deal with it

Old
06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
sampollock

Quote:
time will tell, are you from japan?

hab fans all over.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Funny how everyone claims to know scouts.....from what I read on HFB, there must be a million scouts around.....

Old
06-17-2010, 06:57 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
dont take it too hard HabsoluteFate....they traded your golden boy just like I said they would all during the playoffs and it wouldnt have mattered who they picked up you would still think it was a bad trade..... Halak is GONE time to deal with it
amen

Quote:
Funny how everyone claims to know scouts.....from what I read on HFB, there must be a million scouts around.....
yup,

and cgy scouts have not been the most succesful either

Old
06-17-2010, 07:03 PM
RE-HABS

Dallas traded for Lehtonen, Thrashers got Ivan Vishnevskiy and a fourth-round draft pick in 2010.

I think we came out pretty fair in comparison to that deal for Halak. Lehtonen is a former 2nd overall pick with over 200 + NHL games, 100 wins, 87 losses, 17 OT losses, 2.87 GAA and a .912 SVP.

Halak has 101 games played, 56 winis, 34 losses, 7 OT losses, 2.62 GAA and a .919 SVP.

Both are 26 and 25 respectively, this deal for Halak looks more than fair.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

If they jump Eller to the 2nd line, that will be right up there with the mishandling of Price and Pacioretty.

Old
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
And we really have a disconnect since I don't know how much pressure Price can feel from coaches who keep playing him and GMs whose defended him time and time again. If anything he should have a better sense of security with the patience the organization has repeatedly displayed towards him. I would imagine fans in your own rink jeering you for a bad goal or booing you for a loss (though COMPLETELY undeserved) contribute a lot more to the pressure felt by a player to perform and meet ridiculous expectations.
Perhaps he feels "secure", but if we're talking about pressure to live up to expectations, I would have to believe he'd be more worried about living up to the expectations of those who keep showing that kind of faith in him as opposed to the beer-soaked arm chair GMs in the 300s. I can't imagine any professional athlete thinking any other way.

Especially since he has to sit in the room with those other guys and justify why he's there and not the other guy who turned their blood sweat and tears into better results fairly often. We're just consuming the product as an audience. Whether they vocalize it to each other or not, it's the guys in the locker room and in the front office you worry about letting down, not the fans.

Old
06-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If they jump Eller to the 2nd line, that will be right up there with the mishandling of Price and Pacioretty.
Actually, its not a fair comparisson......Eller played in the SEL (Sweden Elite League - probably better than AHL) and played in the AHL last year.....really no comparisson here......Price played the playoffs in the AHL and went straight to the NHL......Pacioretty is not the same kind of talent.....needs more seasoning......

Closed Thread