HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
predfan98

vCash: 500
poor Hammer........concussion today.

hate the nucks, but

Old
03-27-2011, 11:44 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
poor Hammer........concussion today.

hate the nucks, but
Yup, guess we'll just have to shelve that video tribute until next year. He's got mush head again.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1955920/

Nashville is 6th in the NHL in man-games lost.

First 5 are out of the playoff projections.
and yet all you hear on NHL net is "woe is the 'nucks, they've lot so much in malhotra and edler and now hammer...." and yet we're down 3 centers and the guy that was our leading scorer when he went out.... no bias to the canadian teams though, eh?

Old
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Didn't Hamhuis say, not too long ago, that if he got another concussion he was going to have to "consider his career?"

Old
03-28-2011, 10:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Didn't Hamhuis say, not too long ago, that if he got another concussion he was going to have to "consider his career?"
Yes he did, there is a Hamhuis thread in the NHL talk forum and there is a link to his quote in that thread.

Old
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I've known this for a while... But DaCosta has been in talks with Nashville:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-with-nhl.html

Old
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I am on my ohone here...is that the kid from Merrimac that Poile loves?

Old
03-28-2011, 05:28 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I am on my ohone here...is that the kid from Merrimac that Poile loves?
that's right token

Old
03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'm not surprised, i'd love to snag him, carter camper, or andy miele...but the problem is that since the money will be similar no matter who he goes to, he basically has his pick of the organization he wants to go to. I know we've been "in on" several college UFAs in the past...we've yet to nail one of them down, likely for that reason.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
i'm not surprised, i'd love to snag him, carter camper, or andy miele...but the problem is that since the money will be similar no matter who he goes to, he basically has his pick of the organization he wants to go to. I know we've been "in on" several college UFAs in the past...we've yet to nail one of them down, likely for that reason.
http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...eet-with-agent

Ottawa, Florida, Minnesota called "frontrunners." Nashville among "longshots"

Old
04-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Wow. Did anyone see that "goal" by Hossa last night? Clear kicking motion and the puck didn't even cross the line in the first place, and they called it a goal. Chicago comes back to win. Look, I never buy into these "The NHL fixes games for the teams they want in the playoffs" theories, but I am speechless as to any other explanation for this one. Still trying to think of something.

Old
04-07-2011, 09:35 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Conklin basically came out and said that the league wants the Blackhawks in, which was a direct impact on why the goal counted.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Conklin basically came out and said that the league wants the Blackhawks in, which was a direct impact on why the goal counted.
You know it is true.

Old
04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
roseyc

That was horrible!!!! First of all it was a kicking motion so should have been no goal and second it didn't even cross the line. It has to be fully off the line and in to be a goal and it wasn't so they got it wrong on both accounts

Old
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The Hossa goal is tricky. It was a BAD call obviously, but I don't think it's a conspiracy...

First, the kicking motion is negated by the fact that the puck hit the post. I watched it frame by frame a couple of times, and as far as I can tell the puck is headed slightly away from the goal line after it hits the post. Immediately Hossa's stick comes into view, and the puck then looks to change course so that it rides the goal line. At the end of the replay it looks like the puck is actually going into the net, but I never saw any white between the red line and the puck.

Second, it was ruled a goal on the ice. Personally I think it should have been overturned, but the officials will always get the benefit of the doubt. If anything it isn't so much a conspiracy to get Chicago into the play offs as it's a conspiracy to keep from making the officials look bad (well... keep them from looking worse anyway). I don't really know why the NHL would like Chicago in over Dallas or Calgary. All three can draw in tv viewers

There was a goal in the Anaheim game that I believe went to Selanne that was MUCH more obvious. He blatantly kicked the puck in with the toe of his skate, and they ruled it a goal both on the ice and in the war room. That one was freakin' terrible

Old
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Tennman

Does that mean if you hit a puck into the net with a high stick it counts if it deflects off the post first?

The fact that the puck hit the post shouldn't change anything. If Hossa touched the puck with his stick after kicking it that obviously would.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Rick Nash AND kris Russell are OUT for tomorrows game. The Preds HAVE to beat this team tomorrow.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

gotta rememeber, and I made coments about the refs, it is not the refs call. it is whoever is in toronto drunk off their ass

Old
04-07-2011, 03:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The Hossa goal is tricky. It was a BAD call obviously, but I don't think it's a conspiracy...

First, the kicking motion is negated by the fact that the puck hit the post. I watched it frame by frame a couple of times, and as far as I can tell the puck is headed slightly away from the goal line after it hits the post. Immediately Hossa's stick comes into view, and the puck then looks to change course so that it rides the goal line. At the end of the replay it looks like the puck is actually going into the net, but I never saw any white between the red line and the puck.

Second, it was ruled a goal on the ice. Personally I think it should have been overturned, but the officials will always get the benefit of the doubt. If anything it isn't so much a conspiracy to get Chicago into the play offs as it's a conspiracy to keep from making the officials look bad (well... keep them from looking worse anyway). I don't really know why the NHL would like Chicago in over Dallas or Calgary. All three can draw in tv viewers

There was a goal in the Anaheim game that I believe went to Selanne that was MUCH more obvious. He blatantly kicked the puck in with the toe of his skate, and they ruled it a goal both on the ice and in the war room. That one was freakin' terrible
I don't see the trajectory change that you do, but that's a judgment call and I could understand two reasonable people seeing it a different way (though there is a post on the main board that has a great .gif image that shows it very likely did not make contact).

I'm not a fan of the "indisputable evidence" rule in both the NHL and NFL to overturn a call on the field. Basically, it weighs the judgment of a ref, often from a bad angle, watching a very fast developing play over the judgment of an off-ice official who has multiple angles, almost always better in the aggregate than the individual on-ice official who made the call, and is able to view all of these angles in slow motion.

The off-ice official is substantially more likely to make the correct call given the tools at their disposal. If the mission is to get the call right, the replay official needs to be able to exercise the same judgment as on the on-ice official. I'd rather the NHL focus on being right by the action on the ice as opposed to right by a set of arbitrary rules governing replays.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

As someone on the main board pointed out, that "inconclusive to overturn" deal is NFL only. In the NHL, it has to be a conclusive goal to be ruled a goal. The ref's call has nothing to do with it. (there's a link to this rule on the main board)

Old
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
As someone on the main board pointed out, that "inconclusive to overturn" deal is NFL only. In the NHL, it has to be a conclusive goal to be ruled a goal. The ref's call has nothing to do with it. (there's a link to this rule on the main board)
I guess the announcer misspoke. Although I will say this, it might not be written in a similar fashion to the NFL rule where distinct language legislating overturning a call is present, but it is nearly impossible to reconcile this ruling by the off-ice officials with reality unless the NHL replay system uses a de facto "inconclusive to overturn" rule. It may not be mandated, but it appears to be the system employed.

Old
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
that actually is not true at all. On the tv series on HBO "24/7" for the New Year's Game (Winter Classic), the war room guys ask the ref (before they EVER look at the replay) what the call on the ice is. Then they try to overrule the call based on the initial call.

I don't think it is in the rulebook, but the show "24/7" (or maybe it was the Edmonton Oilers show on NHL Network -- "Oil Change") made it abundantly clear that they do take into consideration the refs initial decision before they ever even look at the replay.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:00 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Chicago is the 3rd or 4th largest television market in the United States. Dallas is like 10 and Calgary doesn't register on the radar for television ratings.

Old
04-08-2011, 01:37 AM
cleangene

That kick was even better than Suter's. There should have NEVER been a review about crossing the line or not; this just makes me sick the crackhawks are still alive because of such a missed call.

Old
04-13-2011, 05:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Chicago is the 3rd or 4th largest television market in the United States. Dallas is like 10 and Calgary doesn't register on the radar for television ratings.
Chicago was third in 2005. Dallas was seventh. Calgary draws viewers from across Canada just like any Canadian team can do. I don't see how anyone can assume there is incentive for conspiracy here; even if they traded Dallas for Chicago they would STILL have seven of the top eight media markets in the country. That four spot difference isn't a big enough deal to risk a huge scandal that could potentially collapse the entire league...

Cruising around the main boards I saw these little jewels.

The Globe and Mail's list of the top defensive defensemen in the league: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1983801/

I love how Hamhuis is number one, but he couldn't even crack our top pairing

TGAM's list of best defensive forwards: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1984107/

Legwand isn't as good defensively as Burrows, Malholtra, or Burish

Closed Thread