HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
The Hawks are still in cap hell. Just over $3mil in space with Huet buried with at least two spots to fill. At $700k per remaining starter and for one scratch they have all of about $1mil in cap space for injuries throughout the year. We spent far more than that last season in callups.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Red Wings sign Modano.

We have officially landed on Bizarro World...

Old
08-02-2010, 11:28 PM
hockey diva

Oh joy now we get to boo Bertuzzi and Modano at the same time!

Old
08-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Oh joy now we get to boo Bertuzzi and Modano at the same time!
Ooooooooooo I like that!!!

Old
08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Ooooooooooo I like that!!!
Do I need to teach you guys the New Yorker way of using the F word as punctuation for this situation?

Old
08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

OK Vix, explain this. I thought Filatov had one more year on his contract?

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Old
08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Where does it say he doesn't?

Old
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Where does it say he doesn't?
Exactly.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Signed a three-year sliding ELC, starting 2008-2009. The first year "slid" because he didn't play 10 games in the NHL, so it effectively began as of 2009-2010 instead. That year was used up, however, because he was in the NHL for more than 10 games. So, two years left.

I'm just enjoying the opportunity to tell all the "OMFG RUSSIAN FLIGHT RISK" idiots I Told You So.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Signed a three-year sliding ELC, starting 2008-2009. The first year "slid" because he didn't play 10 games in the NHL, so it effectively began as of 2009-2010 instead. That year was used up, however, because he was in the NHL for more than 10 games. So, two years left.

I'm just enjoying the opportunity to tell all the "OMFG RUSSIAN FLIGHT RISK" idiots I Told You So.
Doesn't he have one more year on a KHL contract or was he loaned out?

Old
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Doesn't he have one more year on a KHL contract or was he loaned out?
He was on a one-year loan, arranged between the Jackets and CSKA Moscow.

For reference, here's the extended version of how his career's gone so far, which I posted about two weeks ago in the Filatov-for-Bieksa thread after one too many "he's a flight risk!" posts:

Quote:
Okay. Let's get this all straight and out in the open.

* Filatov was drafted in 2008 by the Blue Jackets. He signed a pro contract not long thereafter, in early July.
* The KHL got rather ******** about that pro contract; Filatov and the Jackets worked together to basically tell the KHL to **** off. They eventually did so in September.
* He then came to North America, attended the Jackets training camp, and while turning in an intriguing performance did not make the team, and was sent to the AHL.
* He was called up due to injuries for the home opener against Nashville, and scored his first goal in his first game that day. Not long thereafter, he was sent back down.
* Ultimately, he spent the bulk of the season in the AHL, playing 39 games and putting up 32 points (16 goals, 16 assists). He also had additional brief callups here and there, including one in which he scored a hat trick against the Minnesota Wild. He stayed in Syracuse most of the time, although his mother occasionally visited.
* Towards the end of the season, Filatov was called up one more time to be on the roster for the Jackets' first-ever playoff appearance. This rather annoyed some Syracuse folks (since they were going on a desperate playoff push), and prompted the creation of rumors that he was somehow unhappy in the AHL.
* The Jackets' playoff appearance ended. By now, so had the season for Syracuse, so Filatov went back home.
* He came back to North America for training camp for 2009-2010, and made the team roster.
* At the start of the season, most of the kids on the team (including Filatov, but also guys like Brassard and Mason) were playing a little fast and loose on D, and thus winning games largely by luck. Hitchcock, noticing this, attempted to get folks refocused on defense by way of controlling ice time and assignments. Filatov, as a result of these measures, ended up a healthy scratch in six out of the first eighteen games, and figured out pretty quickly that he wasn't quite as ready as needed.
* Filatov came to the conclusion that this situation was bad for his development, and Howson agreed. He asked that instead of going to the AHL, he be loaned to the KHL, so as to play against higher-talent folks. Howson agreed to the idea in principle, and started to negotiate with CSKA Moscow about a one-year loaner deal. This prompted the creation of rumors that Filatov was "bolting".
* CSKA Moscow eventually agreed, and Filatov went to Russia. Cue pundits suddenly comparing the situation to (completely unrelated) scenarios such as that of Alex Radulov.
* Filatov made multiple statements to the media regarding his status and development, repeatedly reiterating a desire to play in the NHL with Columbus, but with some doubts as to whether he'd be ready to do such next season. This prompted the creation of rumors that he really had "bolted" and would never play in the NHL again, because, y'know, Columbus sucks or something, or he hated Hitchcock, or other equally ludicrous theories.
* Ken Hitchcock was fired after failing to pull the Jackets out of a two-month tailspin. By now Filatov had been asked to just stop answering questions because of the rampant speculation; this didn't actually end any speculation, but it made it somewhat less volatile.
* Trade rumors started appearing for Filatov, as they always do whenever people assume that a player is no longer going to be associated with one's team. So far nothing to substantiate any of these trade rumors has actually appeared.
* Filatov's Formspring account becomes available, in which he says (repeatedly) he's committed to being in North America in August as part of Jackets training camps. Said statements were largely ignored in favor of lulz, except by some Blue Jackets fans, despite its validity being confirmed by a sports.ru interview with him, and also by Puck Daddy's Dmitri Chesnokov. (Complete with Filatov's tounge-in-cheek reaction to Chesnokov's confirmation: "****ing Dimaaa , i ll punch u in washington ")
* Jackets prospect development coach Tyler Wright travelled to Russia to speak with Filatov directly so that the organization would have independent confirmation. He comes back with good news, and a date (presuming no visa problems): August 5. This, also, is largely ignored except by some Blue Jackets fans.
* It is now mid-July. People still, for some reason, maintain this elaborate fantasy that Filatov has abandoned the NHL (or Columbus in particular) and therefore is a "risk". G-d only knows why.

The lengths some people will go to to maintain paranoid fantasies is just incredible, really.

Old
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
He was on a one-year loan, arranged between the Jackets and CSKA Moscow.
AH! That makes sense.

Old
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
In case you've been offline for about an hour...

The arbitrator ruled in the NHL's favor regarding the NHLPA's grievance over the NHL rejecting Kovalchuk's ridiculous contract.

Ilya Kovalchuk is again an unrestricted free agent, but I doubt he goes anywhere, but New Jersey still...unless he jumps ship and bolts to the KHL...

Old
08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
In case you've been offline for about an hour...

The arbitrator ruled in the NHL's favor regarding the NHLPA's grievance over the NHL rejecting Kovalchuk's ridiculous contract.

Ilya Kovalchuk is again an unrestricted free agent, but I doubt he goes anywhere, but New Jersey still...unless he jumps ship and bolts to the KHL...
retroactive decisions coming for Zetterberg, Toews, Keith, etc, etc, etc ?

Old
08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I doubt it. The league won this battle, but did it quietly. No use in trying to stick it to the NHLPA at this point. Will only make CBA negotiations more difficult to achieve.

The sport cannot go through another CBA-related lockout...just can't happen...

Old
08-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Ive heard Hossa, Luongo, and Pronger mentioned. This should be interesting.

Old
08-10-2010, 06:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't think the NHL will\can do anything about deals already signed, even ones that haven't begun yet, such as Luongo and Pronger's. If nothing else, this is just a precedent type of thing...a warning shot.

While I do agree with the ruling, and think that something had to be done about these types of contracts, I'm a little disappointed because it does open the door for the Kings to potentially land him, once again. I would have happily taken a "win" for Kovy that would guarantee he stayed in NJ and the east. Ultimately, I think he'll still end up there, but my first concern will always be teams we're competing with and how they could potentially become much stronger.

Old
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Pronger's deal is a 35+ contract so even if he retires today, that cap hit remains for the duration of the contract. That's the major difference in his deal and the others that are rumored to be under review right now.

What set Kovi's apart was the NMC transitioning to a NTC at the same time the salary drops to the league minimum ... right at five years remaining. Essentially his contract had about 6 throw away years at the end while Luongo has three and Hossa has four (and both of their throw away years are at least 7 figure salaries).

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...CNaVz6EG&hl=en

Last edited by 101st_fan: 08-10-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added link for the arbitrator's decision
Old
08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Looks like the NHL is looking at Savard's contract now.

Not a good move at all.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ontract_1.html

Old
08-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The Arbitrator just voided Kovalchuk's & is looking into Savard & co's

Considering their is precedence for previous Cap Circumvention (in football), IF you were the Commissioner what would you do to the teams that have failed to live up to the standards ... What $ amount would you fine & what kind of draft pick stripping would you do ?

reference in cap circumvention in NFL

Old
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Considering their is precedence for previous Cap Circumvention (in football), IF you were the Commissioner what would you do to the teams that have failed to live up to the standards ... What $ amount would you fine & what kind of draft pick stripping would you do ?

reference in cap circumvention in NFL
I wouldnt do a thing. Obviously teams knew they were doing this, but it was "legal" at the time. If other teams had already signed deals like this with no penalty, there was no reason for them to not do the same. I would only make penalties for deals like this signed in the future.

Old
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
predfan98

I think they are "just looking" at all these contracts and that's all that it will amount to in the long run. After the arbitrator mentioned those contracts, it seems like this is all kind of "we can look at them", and kind of posturing for the future, (cba negotiations and future contracts).
I don't really know, just guessing at what makes sense...to me , anyway.

Old
08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Fernaaaaaaando Pisaaaaaaaaani is a Blackhawk.

Old
08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Ben Guite signs with Columbus.

Old
08-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

100 mil, 15 years, 6.66 mil/year ... Hossa = Kovalchuk ?

Closed Thread