HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the most underrated player on your team? In the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Who's the most underrated player on your team? In the NHL?

Who would you say is the most underrated player on your team? And how about in the whole NHL?

On the Canucks, I think either Mattias Ohlund or Brendan Morrison are our most underrated players. Ohlund is probably our best all-around defenseman (Jovanovski is prone to brain farts and Sopel is mainly offensive, though solid defensively), and plays a ton of minutes. He doesn't rack up a lot of points, but he's a rock back there and is a very reliable guy in our own end. Now if only he could start generating more offense... Morrison might be considered overrated by some (those who believe any one could score if they were on a line with Bertuzzi and Naslund), but I think his play during Bertuzzi's absence proves he is not a benefactor of being with those guys, but rather he is a legitimate #1 center. He had a great playoff and has become a good clutch player. He's also very good in his own end.

In the whole NHL, it seems Marian Hossa is underrated. Maybe it's just because I like in Vancouver, so far away from Ottawa, but I never hear about him. He's one of the top snipers in the NHL (just look at his stats the past 2 years), but I never hear about him. He's not soft and is solid defensively. This guy is a good player, and I feel he's very underrated.

Other candidates I thought of include Ziggy Palffy - he carried the Kings offense two years ago and who did he play with? Armstrong, a career minor leaguer - also Jarome Iginla, who is the complete package as he has skill, size, grit, leadership and defensive play. I'm sure I missed people, which is why I asked you for your lists!

Old
05-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Brooks Orpik doesn't even get a fraction of the respect he deserves in his own city.

Brooks Orpik is one of the best defensive defenseman in the league today. As a rookie. And you can't even find his jersey in the arena's store. You can find an entire ****ing row of Ramzi Abid jerseys, but you can't find a single jersey with #44 on it. Leave Pittsburgh and about 5 people have apparently heard of the guy.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
Anaheim's nominee for most underrated has to be the G-Unit, Sami Pahlsson. The guy is a horse defensively, and is the one player who never gives up on that team, yet, he barely gets recognized for his play. I'd nominate him for most underrated in the NHL as well.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:34 PM
sparkplug

As far as superstars go, Marian Hossa. Also, Chris Phillips doesn't get enough credit, and Antoine Vermette played a great two way game this year without getting much recognition.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:40 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I'd say the most underrated Canuck is Daniel Sedin.

In the NHL, Kyle McLaren and Steve Konowalchuk are up there.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:40 PM
rherchenreder

P.J. Axellson of the Bruins is underrated. He is superb defensively, especially when backchecking opponents or when they really need to clear the puck for a line change. A smart, reliable and unselfish player who can chip in points.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:43 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Andy Sutton and Patty Stefan for the Thrashers.

In the league, I think Steve Rucchin has always been very underrated.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Snugglepuss

For the Leafs, Ken Klee. Very solid defensively, can chip in on the offense, and he plays on the PK and the PP.

For the league, I would say Adrian Aucoin. This guy is absolutely fantastic and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Old
05-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Russian_fanatic

Klee he had a TERRIFIC year , but no one has yet to hear about him .

Old
05-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Probably a three way tie between Barnes, DiMaio and Boucher for the Stars. Leaguewide, not sure, I usually said the entire Sharks organisation, but they get some props now, well they should at least. Petr Schaefer is underrated.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:45 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Brooks Orpik doesn't even get a fraction of the respect he deserves in his own city.

Brooks Orpik is one of the best defensive defenseman in the league today. As a rookie. And you can't even find his jersey in the arena's store. You can find an entire ****ing row of Ramzi Abid jerseys, but you can't find a single jersey with #44 on it. Leave Pittsburgh and about 5 people have apparently heard of the guy.

On this board he isn't under-rated. I've seen loads of people singing his praises, some going more than a tad overboard at it as well. But most fans are like that, a player is either way over-hyped or way under-hyped. Hard to find a middle ground.

He's good, but he's still got a long way to go before he acheives the status you've given him. In a couple years time, he may well do that. The boy has the tools for it. But right now he's still raw, positioning and discipline need some work. He runs around a bit too much, but that should correct itself the more he plays.

Another rookie, Exelby, did a better job at that this season. Just as physical as Orpik but better in the fundamentals. Not to say that Orpik can't reach that level and pass Exelby in their respective progressions, he probably can. But for the moment, Brooks is still a bit behind and has a lot of work to do. I don't think any team in the league would mind having either of these guys though. Pittsburgh and Atlanta have gems, ones that likely will be under-rated constantly due to how they play the game.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:49 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
On Montreal: Steve Begin

In NHL: Johnaton Chechoo

Old
05-19-2004, 12:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

from the preds...Mark Eaton and Vladimir Orszagh.

in the league...Jason Blake

Old
05-19-2004, 12:54 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
from the preds...Mark Eaton and Vladimir Orszagh.

in the league...Jason Blake
Jason Blake is a very good pick, another one I think that deserves some mention is Steve Sullivan

Old
05-19-2004, 12:56 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Most Under-rated on Carolina: Kevyn Adams. The guy seemed to generate more offense on the PK this year then the entire team did on the powerplay. Add being solid at faceoffs and a very consistent player to that and you have a guy that should probably get a lot more notice then he does. Allan Rourke and Pevel Brendl fit in here too. Rourke kinda came out of nowhere to be a very reliable d-man for the Canes this year, and Brendl had been playing some solid hockey before the injury... I just dobut he'll ever be able to shake the best label that he's been carying around seemingly since he was drafted by the Rangers.

In the NHL: The Sharks team. There's no reason that this team shouldn't be getting more recognition outside of the fact that they are in hockeys "Sun Belt".

Old
05-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
Petr Schaefer is underrated.
This is my choice as well - Schaefer is an absolute monster along the boards and can dish out some super hits, though he is pretty small. He's also very creative offensively and is always a threat short-handed.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:00 AM
John Flyers Fan

Most underrated Flyer without question would be Kim Johnsson.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
Who would you say is the most underrated player on your team? And how about in the whole NHL?

On the Canucks, I think either Mattias Ohlund or Brendan Morrison are our most underrated players. Ohlund is probably our best all-around defenseman (Jovanovski is prone to brain farts and Sopel is mainly offensive, though solid defensively), and plays a ton of minutes. He doesn't rack up a lot of points, but he's a rock back there and is a very reliable guy in our own end. Now if only he could start generating more offense... Morrison might be considered overrated by some (those who believe any one could score if they were on a line with Bertuzzi and Naslund), but I think his play during Bertuzzi's absence proves he is not a benefactor of being with those guys, but rather he is a legitimate #1 center. He had a great playoff and has become a good clutch player. He's also very good in his own end.

In the whole NHL, it seems Marian Hossa is underrated. Maybe it's just because I like in Vancouver, so far away from Ottawa, but I never hear about him. He's one of the top snipers in the NHL (just look at his stats the past 2 years), but I never hear about him. He's not soft and is solid defensively. This guy is a good player, and I feel he's very underrated.

Other candidates I thought of include Ziggy Palffy - he carried the Kings offense two years ago and who did he play with? Armstrong, a career minor leaguer - also Jarome Iginla, who is the complete package as he has skill, size, grit, leadership and defensive play. I'm sure I missed people, which is why I asked you for your lists!
None of those players are "underrated". They are all great players who get good coverage in the media. Really underrated players have to be good and have to get very little media coverage outside of their town. In those aspects Ethan Moreau, Cory Stillman (almost nobody mentions him when talking about TB), Steve Rucchin, scott walker and Steve Sullivan are all underrated.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Most underrated Flyer without question would be Kim Johnsson.
For sure. Much closer to a #1 defenceman than most realize.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:24 AM
TOGLIATTI

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad Richards for Tampa.
Martin Erat for Nashville.
Vitaly Vishnevski for Anaheim.
Scott Hannon for San Jose.
Shean Donovan for Calgary.
Marek Svatos for Colorado.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:57 AM
RoyIsALegend*

For Colorado, I'd likely nominate one of Karlis Skrastins, Steve Konowalchuk or Andrei Nikolishin.

Old
05-19-2004, 03:03 PM
HellsBells

For the Flames: Shean Donovan, Craig Conroy, Rhett Warrener & Stephane Yelle.

In the NHL: I would have said Brad Richards up until these playoffs.

Old
05-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Hab-Dawgs

Montreal: Ribeiro
people keep talking about wanting to trade him, i think he's got some crazy hands, and geez, he was our leading scorer.....

NHL: Konowalchuk

Old
05-19-2004, 03:13 PM
OMA

For the Calgary Flames I'd have to say Craig Conroy. Usually, Yelle gets this distinction but I think his contributions to the Flames have been realized. Conroy is constantly labelled as the guy who mooches off of #12. But this guy is solid on face-offs, a great two-way player who does so much more. The guy has a pretty good scoring touch too.

In the league, I'd have to say Brad Richards. He gets lost in the spotlight that Vinny Lecavalier and Marty St.Louis get.

Old
05-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

The way he's being trashed on the Chara proposal thread I think I'd have to say what Chris Drury's done in Buffalo is somewhat underrated. Well trash is a fairly strong word but some of the comments there make it sound like he was a lot worse this year than he's been.

Jochen Hecht was outstanding for Buffalo this year and his play deserves more credit than it's gotten. Could probably throw Adam Mair in that group as well.

Closed Thread