HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the most underrated player on your team? In the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Sami Salo

No question about it for the Nucks. After Ohlund, he is the most dependable defenseman. He makes very few mistakes and leads by example on the ice. He has a great all around game, but he doesn't get a lot of recognition for all that he does.
Don't forget about his rocket of a shot, either.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Steve Konowalchuk "Kono"

Old
05-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Hoof Hearted

Send a message via MSN to Hoof Hearted Send a message via Yahoo to Hoof Hearted
Canucks: I'd say Hedberg, the poor guy gets absolutely no respect. Passed over in the playoffs in favor of a guy who had never even started a playoff game, then snubbed by team Sweden in the World Cup selection.

League: Ohlund. He's damn good, steady and reliable.

Old
05-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Grave77digger

so your saying since Elias is only considered a star and not a super star he is under rated? anyone thats been to the all star game is NOT underrated

Old
05-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger
so your saying since Elias is only considered a star and not a super star he is under rated? anyone thats been to the all star game is NOT underrated
You notice that he didn't make this years all-star game, which was a joke. Right now, Elias is horribly underrated. He's made the all-star game, but since then people have lost lots of respect for him, despite his leading the Devils in points every year with good totals. This is a player who deserves much better than he receives.

Old
05-20-2004, 07:28 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted
Canucks: I'd say Hedberg, the poor guy gets absolutely no respect. Passed over in the playoffs in favor of a guy who had never even started a playoff game, then snubbed by team Sweden in the World Cup selection.

League: Ohlund. He's damn good, steady and reliable.
Seems to me your league choice trumps your Canuck choice.

Old
05-20-2004, 07:30 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

For the CBJ, the trendy answer is Vyborny, but I think a lot of NHL fans now know and respect him (though he's much better defensively than I think he gets credit for). It's the whole Ron Francis thing -- he gets called underrated so much that he has to be considered rated.

Anyway, my answer, after this past season, is Trevor Letowski. Injuries slowed him early, but he ended with his second best season in the NHL. He constantly went all out, worked hard, pestered people, chipped in timely goals and developed great chemistry with Nik Zherdev in the last few weeks of the season.

Old
05-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Karl Pilkington

For the habs I'd say Begin or Dowd.. I can't believe someone put Ribeiro as their choice... how is he underated? I notice also that the guy said that he's underated because most hab fans want him traded.. Reality check: Plenty of Hab fans want to trade everybody!..

Old
05-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Wisent

Cory Stillman.

Old
05-20-2004, 10:41 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Zherdev for the bluejackets.

Comparatively, they say hes a Kovalchuk kind of guy, but he got the royal shaft in russia, so his stats dont reflect the player he could be, rather you just have to watch him play the puck and how fluent his moves are.

A terrbile knock on him from the draft last year was that he was a puck hog. From this season I didnt see much of that out of him. One play comes to mind to support this when he was finessing the puck towards the crease and the goaltender got so wrapped up in what he was doing. From here, Zherdev fed a blind pass to Manny Malhotra and he went on to tip it into the easily exposed net. I know using this as a basis to nullify that statement outright is a tough call, but in the same situation Zherdev couldve finessed more and put it in himself. Zherdev is going to pan out into something of a playmaker than a scorer. When he finds time and space using some of his dekes, this is when more options open up and other players can come in to be completers. If not, Zherdev can just do it himself.

Old
05-20-2004, 11:15 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Dowd rocked for the Wild!

Old
05-20-2004, 03:49 PM
JFPIV

The talent pool on the Hawks current NHL roster is so shallow, its hard for anyone who asserts any skills to go unnoticed. That said, I would say Kyle Calder.

Old
05-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
For the flyers i would say Either Keith Primeau or Mattias Timander

For the whole NHL i would pick John madden even though i hate the devils

Old
05-20-2004, 05:05 PM
monkey_00*

The most underrated player in the NHL?..........

I will go with 3-players.....1-forward.....1-defenceman.....and 1-Goalie.....first the Forward:

Most underrated forward........Tie Domi........everybody knows all about this guys reputation as a fighter but the guy got the least amount of ice time among all of the Leafs forwards in the playoffs yet he was first among all the forwards in the Shots-on-Net department.........add to the fact that the guy is well respected among his own team mates as one of the team's leaders.......he's a fitness freak and hires his own personal trainer in the off-season to get him in shape for the next hockey season........he's also the fastest skater on the Leafs team.......If I had my way and I was coaching the Leafs I would triple this guys ice time and play him on the Leafs top line with captain Mats Sundin and Gary Roberts.......meanwhile the Leafs should busy themselves and shop for another enforcer (Wade Belak doesn't cut it as one) and go after some other guy like Georges Laraque of the Edmonton Oilers BUT I digress..................

Most underrated defenceman.................Darryl Sydor of the Tampa Bay Bolts.......this is one guy's hockey career that I've been following since his junior days with the Kamloops Blazers..........his coach back then was current Flyers bench boss Ken Hitchcock........Hitchcock back then had Sydor paired up with Scott Niedermayer who now skates for the Jersey Devils........when Hitchcock first arrived in the NHL with Dallas he felt that his team would improve their chances of winning the Stanley Cup if he had one of these two guys (Sydor OR Niedermayer) who he coached in junior hockey playing for his NHL club.........he won the Cup in Dallas with Sydor..........Sydor now plays for Tampa.......Sydor helped Dallas capture THEIR first Stanley Cup and he's on the verge to do the same with the Bolts in Tampa........

Most underrated goalie: Tomas Vokoun of Nashville.........the next GREAT NHL Netminder..........young guy getting better on a young team getting better...........Soooo much upside with this guy.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Closed Thread