HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues acuire TJ Hensick

Old
06-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

vCash: 500
Blues acuire TJ Hensick

Julian Talbot for Hensick.
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x150190...-of-NHL-trades

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:30 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

On paper this looks like an outstanding move. I'm curious what Colorado's motive is for this trade?

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Talbot has 35 points in 99 career games.
Could he fill the third/fourth line roll we'll have open?

Old
06-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Phenominal talent this kid has. He's the type of player that with the right players around him he could flourish big time.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Talbot has 35 points in 99 career games.
Could he fill the third/fourth line roll we'll have open?

I think you mean Hensick? The Blues now have an opening on the third line with the departure of Eller. Perhaps one or both of D'Agostini or Hensick will be able to fill a hole on the third line. I would prefer the Blues sign someone more proven for the third line and use one of D'Agostini or Hensick as the 13th forward.

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - Boyes
Steen - Hensick - ???FA???
King - McClement - Crombeen

D'Agostini

Old
06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Yes, I meant Hensick.
I like this deal.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Gaels

Alright! Now thats a trade. He is an RFA however...

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Yes, I meant Hensick.
I like this deal.

I like it too. Even if Hensick doesn't play in the NHL he will be a great first line player for the Rivermen.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Gaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
I like it too. Even if Hensick doesn't play in the NHL he will be a great first line player for the Rivermen.
True, I was just looking at his numbers almost a ppg player in the AHL.

Gaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
sbkbghockey

I like this trade too, Halak is the big trade of the day for the Blues, but this looks good too, Hensick has NHL potential and will def be a nice addition to the Rivermen Roster until he's ready.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Robb_K

This is a great trade. Hensick could have a decent NHL career. I don't think Talbot is going to play much, if any, in The NHL. I think The Blues will acquire a top 6 forward. One of Hensick or D'Agostini will be the extra forward to alternate with the "enforcer" that is kept (probably King?).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Hensick was on waivers and nobody took him.
What the heck?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
What the heck?
I could be wrong, but if the Blues had claimed him from waivers, wouldn't he have to be on the NHL roster? I think was more of a move for Peoria.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
What the heck?
If you claim a player off of waivers he has to go to the NHL roster. If he can't cut it in camp then he can be assigned to the Rivermen and started their without the need for waivers.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
STL fan in IA

I like this trade. I don't think Talbot had much of an NHL future at all while I think Hensick has a chance at one. He's not a slam dunk though. He has top notch offensive skills and has good speed but he's a 5'10" kid that shys away from contact and is poor defensively. Looking at it from the Avs point of view, Hensick only makes sense as a top 2 line center and the Avs have their top 2 centers set for years with Duchene and Stastny. IMO, Hensick wouldn't make a very good 3rd line center and definitely doesn't fit as a 4th liner. That's the problem - he either makes it as a 2nd line center or likely just continues to bounce around and never really establish himself as a full-time NHLer. His game simply isn't suited to a bottom-6 role IMO.

Until he improves his all-around game I'm not going to pencil him into the Blues lineup for this season but regardless, I like his long-term potential quite a bit more than Talbot's. Good trade but not a slam dunk IMO. At worst, he helps replace Eller and Talbot's scoring in Peoria.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

As an Avs fan I think the Blues got the better of it, but there was just no point for Colorado to give Hensick a new contract. Hope he can find a niche in STL. How far did Talbot usually make it in training camp, for those of you who remember?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 05:50 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
As an Avs fan I think the Blues got the better of it, but there was just no point for Colorado to give Hensick a new contract. Hope he can find a niche in STL. How far did Talbot usually make it in training camp, for those of you who remember?
One of the first cuts every year from what I remember.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
As mentioned above by regular members, Talbot's ship has already passed. Sorry bud, but he's hit his ceiling.

But I could be proven wrong by Talbot as he will get the proverbial "change of scenery".

He's definitely skilled and produced at each successive he's played, so he's if he's simply inserted into The Avs' lineup, then we all might get a surprise. He never really "earned" a spot out of camp.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Overkamp

There must be more to this than we know. He could be considered a better prospect than even Eller. The Blues covered their bases today. Didn't lose a thing.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
oPlaiD

Does this trade indicate a bit of a shift in organizational philosophy and roster construction, probably due to the coaching change?

D'Agostini and Hensick are both decent attacking players with poor defensive skills. Probably more room for guys like that to contribute in Payne's lineups then there ever was with Murray.

It's also possible they feel like they have the defensive forward side of things covered or are just taking a chance on a guy. We'll see.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
There must be more to this than we know. He could be considered a better prospect than even Eller. The Blues covered their bases today. Didn't lose a thing.
You're kidding right? You're suggesting the Hensick might be a better prospect than Eller?

I'd say Hensick's offensive skill and speed are about on par with Eller but that's about it. Eller is 6'1" while Hensick is 5'10". Eller has a good defensive, two-way game while Hensick plays poor defense. Eller has a nice physical edge while Hensick shys away from physicality. I definitely like the Hensick for Talbot trade but comparing Hensick to Eller...no way. Also, Hensick isn't really even a prospect anymore. He turns 25 this year and already has 99 games in the NHL. Hensick either develops the parts of his game that need work and becomes a decent 2nd line center or he continues to bounce around between the NHL and AHL. Eller on the other hand, is pretty much a surefire NHLer...and likely a good one at that.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Overkamp

Not kidding at all. Just because he was used sparingly in a fourth line role (limited 3rd line) in Colorado means nothing to me. And because he's not as good defensively means he's a worse player? What? McKeens hockey is still high on him as is this site. The Blues shored up any gaps they may have had with this move. It's just my 2 cents, and I'm sticking with it. Everything I've read and heard makes me believe he'll be a fine replacement. So, no, not kidding bro.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
As mentioned above by regular members, Talbot's ship has already passed. Sorry bud, but he's hit his ceiling.

But I could be proven wrong by Talbot as he will get the proverbial "change of scenery".

He's definitely skilled and produced at each successive he's played, so he's if he's simply inserted into The Avs' lineup, then we all might get a surprise. He never really "earned" a spot out of camp.
I can say the same thing about Hensick. Hensick had his chance to make the NHL and he failed. He has not been able to reproduce his AHL numbers in the NHL. Also the above poster, Hensick had his chance on the 2nd line and couldn't produce anything.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
I can say the same thing about Hensick. Hensick had his chance to make the NHL and he failed. He has not been able to reproduce his AHL numbers in the NHL. Also the above poster, Hensick had his chance on the 2nd line and couldn't produce anything.
That's cool. I can deal with that. If anything Talbot will do well for your AHL affiliate.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Avs fan here.

Hensick was unfortunate that he had to contend with the Avs' center depth.

He really hasn't had a chance at top 6 role. If he didn't get a point for a few games then he was sent down to the 3rd line/benched/AHL. Most of his games were played on the 3rd line.

He is a center, but played some wing on the Avs' 2nd line in the 2009 season and looked really good at times.

The Blues win this trade for sure, but the Avs really couldn't get much for Hensick. I think Hensick could be a top 6 player, hopefully the Avs haven't ruined him with how they've played him in the NHL.

(and yes, the things that they say about him being soft and not caring about defense are true. Though that doesn't have to be a huge problem if he's scoring)

Hensick is fun to watch. He's a good skater and makes very nice passes.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote