HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston interested in the 4th Overall?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2010, 10:58 PM
  #76
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I worry about this only because our defense remains as short on talent - and developing talent - as it did last year under such a deal. Wheeler is a "nice to have", not someone we need. Savard would be awesome, though.

That said, the value is so overwhelmingly in our favor that I do it as is before Boston changes their minds and just try to flip the other extra pieces for the defense. That's also why I don't believe a word of it.

Incidentally, Savard's contract doesn't really scare me. Even if he degrades to second line before long, that's still only about a $4m cap hit. I think he's worth it.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:11 PM
  #77
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I worry about this only because our defense remains as short on talent - and developing talent - as it did last year under such a deal. Wheeler is a "nice to have", not someone we need. Savard would be awesome, though.

That said, the value is so overwhelmingly in our favor that I do it as is before Boston changes their minds and just try to flip the other extra pieces for the defense. That's also why I don't believe a word of it.

Incidentally, Savard's contract doesn't really scare me. Even if he degrades to second line before long, that's still only about a $4m cap hit. I think he's worth it.
It will be a $4 million cap hit in 7 years as well. When he probably isn't even playing anymore. Is it still worth it then? Is it worth it if he gets hurt and isn't even playing for us?


Last edited by RDriesenUD: 06-17-2010 at 11:33 PM.
RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:14 PM
  #78
Blazini
Registered User
 
Blazini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
There is no way this trade would ever happen.

Blazini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
  #79
psycloud
Registered User
 
psycloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
It will be a $4 million cap hit in 7 years as well. When he probably isn't even playing anymore. Is it still worth it then? Is it worth if he gets hurt and isn't even playing for us?
I'm not an expert on this, but unless I'm mistaken, LTIR players don't count against the salary cap. Nor do retired players that signed their contract prior to turning 35.

Further, I don't think his NTC kicks in until July 1st, and I THINK I recall hearing somewhere that if a player is traded before his NTC kicks in, it may not apply. Seems like that came up when Lubomir Visnovsky was traded to Edmonton.

psycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:34 PM
  #80
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycloud View Post
I'm not an expert on this, but unless I'm mistaken, LTIR players don't count against the salary cap. Nor do retired players that signed their contract prior to turning 35.

Further, I don't think his NTC kicks in until July 1st, and I THINK I recall hearing somewhere that if a player is traded before his NTC kicks in, it may not apply. Seems like that came up when Lubomir Visnovsky was traded to Edmonton.
That could be. Still would prefer we go in another direction with the #4 pick, but that lessons the risk.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
  #81
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycloud View Post
I'm not an expert on this, but unless I'm mistaken, LTIR players don't count against the salary cap. Nor do retired players that signed their contract prior to turning 35.

Further, I don't think his NTC kicks in until July 1st, and I THINK I recall hearing somewhere that if a player is traded before his NTC kicks in, it may not apply. Seems like that came up when Lubomir Visnovsky was traded to Edmonton.
That "NTC doesn't apply" thing is not universal. It's true for some and not for others.

And technically, LTIR does count against the cap; you're just allowed to go over the cap by that amount during the LTIR period. It's kind of weird.

That said, if he gets badly injured and chooses to retire, he's off the cap as well. I therefore remain not scared.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 06:46 AM
  #82
Hugg
Registered User
 
Hugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
I assume this would count as Portzline commenting on this rumor:

Quote:
Aportzline

Bet it's not as funny as the Boston - Columbus rumored blockbuster. RT @Russostrib: One Internet rumor has had me laughing for about 10 mins
http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/16463582764

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 06:51 AM
  #83
Hugg
Registered User
 
Hugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Ha, I guess that one wasn't clear enough:

Quote:
Aportzline

It's bunk. A total fabrication. Hasn't been discussed. Think no more of it
http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/16463843178

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:06 AM
  #84
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Ha, I guess that one wasn't clear enough:



http://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/16463843178

Another example of Dispatch Mind Control? I plan to rebel and think a little about it while in my basement (where's my tinfoil hat, now?).

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
  #85
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Another example of Dispatch Mind Control? I plan to rebel and think a little about it while in my basement (where's my tinfoil hat, now?).
Clearly this rumor isn't the frontrunner.

Which means it is true

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 07:11 AM
  #86
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,694
vCash: 500
While I believe this to be the case, his total dismissal without attribution proves worrisome.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:17 AM
  #87
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,657
vCash: 500
We are so totally dependent on a lack of evidence to substantiate our beliefs, around here. The less we hear, the more we know; the more we know, the less we believe!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
  #88
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
We are so totally dependent on a lack of evidence to substantiate our beliefs, around here. The less we hear, the more we know; the more we know, the less we believe!

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:29 AM
  #89
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The less we hear, the more we know; the more we know, the less we believe!
Us or the Dispatch writers?

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
  #90
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,657
vCash: 500
Suit yourself.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
  #91
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,980
vCash: 500
Pete, this place gets so irrationally out of control I am driven to agree with you. And we know that never happens on Metroboards.

EDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
  #92
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
The problem is....

Wheeler isn't signed.

Savard is 33, coming off a major concussion, and signed for 7 more years.

I am sorry, but I think we can do better. I would rather trade more for Spezza or sign a FA.
I think you've repeated yourself about 5 times in this thread.

At any rate, the last 3 years of the Savard's deal is fairly meaningless unless you think we're going to be in cap trouble.

Do better? Who knows. It's not like Howson's done anything about it during his time here.

I think Savard is worth the risk and Wheeler is a nice consultation prize.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
  #93
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
yea, you take this deal and you run. you run FAST!

no chance in hell, though. the 15th pick and you're going to throw Wheeler and Savard in there? Leaving the Bruins with 6 forwards under contract?

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
  #94
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
While I believe this to be the case, his total dismissal without attribution proves worrisome.
I wouldn't worry... How often has Portzline's crystal ball predictions come true? His track record with hypotheticals and potentials have proved much less impressive considering how much more "connected" he is the situation than the average educated poster on this board (Robert, Capn, Visqi, Sam, Skraut, Matthew, Pete, etc.)

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:07 AM
  #95
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I wouldn't worry... How often has Portzline's crystal ball predictions come true? His track record with hypotheticals and potentials have proved much less impressive considering how much more "connected" he is the situation than the average educated poster on this board (Robert, Capn, Visqi, Sam, Skraut, Matthew, Pete, etc.)
Woah, did you just call me educated?

boy do I have you fooled

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
  #96
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Woah, did you just call me educated?

boy do I have you fooled
I'm just realizing I put Matthew on there... seems like that might be more of a stretch...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:11 AM
  #97
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Another example of Dispatch Mind Control? I plan to rebel and think a little about it while in my basement (where's my tinfoil hat, now?).
One thing I've learned over the last 3 years. AP and the Dispatch have no idea what trades are being discussed. Zip, Nada. I have no trust in him when it comes to rumors.

This rumor is probably false, most likely in fact. However, if Boston has another trade in the works it might not be as far fetched as it seems on the surface. This one smells of AP dismissing it because it doesn't pass the smell test more then him actually doing any work or having any inside information.

Let's be honest, other things would have to happen for both teams in order to for this to occur. CBJ would have to shed some salary and Boston would have some holes to fill (but the money to do it). But let's face it, Boston has 50 million tied up in 14 players. Doesn't leave much money to sign the additional players after they re-sign Wheeler. And Boston could survive without Savard.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
  #98
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
yea, you take this deal and you run. you run FAST!

no chance in hell, though. the 15th pick and you're going to throw Wheeler and Savard in there? Leaving the Bruins with 6 forwards under contract?
I'm not sure I buy Wheeler in the mix, however, Savard for the 4th doesn't seem that out of line. As I said earlier, Boston has cap issues this year. Savard is pretty expensive and he could be considered expendable.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
  #99
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
The biggest warning bell to me for this being far fetched is the contract they just signed Savard to. It was obviously meant as his retirement contract and supposedly was signed at a home town discount. Does Boston really trade that away just before the deadline for the NTC? Would kind of stink wouldn't it? Not exactly the kind of rep an organization would like to have. I know business is business, but one's reputation is certainly a part of doing business.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
  #100
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm not sure I buy Wheeler in the mix, however, Savard for the 4th doesn't seem that out of line. As I said earlier, Boston has cap issues this year. Savard is pretty expensive and he could be considered expendable.
Especially if you're in position to draft Seguin

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.