HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Boston interested in the 4th Overall?

Old
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

vCash: 500
Just to shed a little light on the situation in Boston...

The signings left the Bruins at about $51 million (for 15 players) on a cap that is expected to increase some $2 million off last year's $56.7 million. Money was going to have to go to restricted free agents like Blake Wheeler, Johnny Boychuk and Mark Stuart, and potential UFA Mark Recchi was expected back.

And then there's the contract that will have to go to either Tyler Seguin or Taylor Hall ($900,000 base plus bonuses), with the Bruins selecting No. 2 in the draft (and expected to get Seguin).

This was all pointing to the dealing of a veteran, with center Patrice Bergeron ($4.75 annual cap hit) likely to be desired around the league. He would be movable if the Bruins wound up with Seguin, a center who would join Marc Savard, David Krejci and Bergeron on the center-heavy roster, which is in need of a scoring winger.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/bos/report

The amount that counts towards the cap is about $47 million, if I recall correctly. I'll correct that figure if I find it to be different.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
One thing I've learned over the last 3 years. AP and the Dispatch have no idea what trades are being discussed. Zip, Nada. I have no trust in him when it comes to rumors.

This rumor is probably false, most likely in fact. However, if Boston has another trade in the works it might not be as far fetched as it seems on the surface. This one smells of AP dismissing it because it doesn't pass the smell test more then him actually doing any work or having any inside information.

Let's be honest, other things would have to happen for both teams in order to for this to occur. CBJ would have to shed some salary and Boston would have some holes to fill (but the money to do it). But let's face it, Boston has 50 million tied up in 14 players. Doesn't leave much money to sign the additional players after they re-sign Wheeler. And Boston could survive without Savard.
It has long been a strategy to create pressure and demand for GM's to leak trade rumors to the press to create pressure points. The idea is to get other GMs interested in whatever the GM wants to trade. I just heard Pierre McGuire discussing how the source for most Kaberle rumors is Brian Burke or someone in his employ talking off the record to reporters in other cities. He attributed a recent NY Times rumor of a Devils-Leafs trade to Burke.

http://autopod.ca/rss/chum/22/

I have no idea who the source of this is, but I'd guess Chiarelli wants to pressure other GMs with high picks, probably Dale Tallon. It also could be Howson fishing for a #1 center and letting them know the #4 pick is in play.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Kev22

I tend to fall in the court saying this is BS, it doesn't match Howson's MO. If he's going to trade the #4, it has to be for a young, elite talent. To me, Krecji is the only player that comes close to filling that description. I think he would be great here. Savard makes too much. The only way that Howson is going to take on another salary comparable to Nash is if he can send contracts the other way (Huselius, Clark or Commodore).

I don't think that Howson is afraid to trade young assets if it will improve our current roster. If it's a lateral move or crap shoot, why risk.

As for educated posters around here, sure there are people who know hockey, but everything on here is one person's opinion. The only concrete piece of info I've come up with here is that when it comes to trades, no one knows what their talking about. No one is connected to the organ-I-zation. We can speculate on here and it's all fun and good and we can chuckle at the rumors but no one on here knows what's going on. This place is fun, when it doesn't take its self too seriously. I still feel that the Dispatch and TSN is as close as any of us will ever come to being "connected."

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
blahblah

True enough Leek, it could very well be a fishing expedition.

I've been of the thought that I give Howson a 50/50 shot at making a big move this off season. The only reason I don't make it more is because Howson tends to be real conservative.

Howson will be under tremendous pressure this year and I don't think he wants to leave any stone unturned.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I tend to fall in the court saying this is BS, it doesn't match Howson's MO. If he's going to trade the #4, it has to be for a young, elite talent. To me, Krecji is the only player that comes close to filling that description. I think he would be great here. Savard makes too much. The only way that Howson is going to take on another salary comparable to Nash is if he can send contracts the other way (Huselius, Clark or Commodore).

I don't think that Howson is afraid to trade young assets if it will improve our current roster. If it's a lateral move or crap shoot, why risk.

As for educated posters around here, sure there are people who know hockey, but everything on here is one person's opinion. The only concrete piece of info I've come up with here is that when it comes to trades, no one knows what their talking about. No one is connected to the organ-I-zation. We can speculate on here and it's all fun and good and we can chuckle at the rumors but no one on here knows what's going on. This place is fun, when it doesn't take its self too seriously. I still feel that the Dispatch and TSN is as close as any of us will ever come to being "connected."

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I tend to fall in the court saying this is BS, it doesn't match Howson's MO. If he's going to trade the #4, it has to be for a young, elite talent.
Why would someone trade an elite young talent for the #4 pick? Only way I see it is it's a RFA due a big contract that the team can't afford. Don't see much of that.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
It has long been a strategy to create pressure and demand for GM's to leak trade rumors to the press to create pressure points. The idea is to get other GMs interested in whatever the GM wants to trade. I just heard Pierre McGuire discussing how the source for most Kaberle rumors is Brian Burke or someone in his employ talking off the record to reporters in other cities. He attributed a recent NY Times rumor of a Devils-Leafs trade to Burke.

http://autopod.ca/rss/chum/22/

I have no idea who the source of this is, but I'd guess Chiarelli wants to pressure other GMs with high picks, probably Dale Tallon. It also could be Howson fishing for a #1 center and letting them know the #4 pick is in play.
I agree.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...7&postcount=29

Old
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Problem is Kev has too much two dimensional thinking. He assumes that shedding of payroll would need to be included in the deal that sent brought on the payroll. Not much in the way of thinking outside the box really.

Beyond that, it was already said the Jackets would need to shed salary. Nothing new or exciting in there honestly. He brought up Krecji, but honestly Boston would like rather dump Savard for the reasons we'd consider Krecji.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Problem is Kev has too much two dimensional thinking. He assumes that shedding of payroll would need to be included in the deal that sent brought on the payroll. Not much in the way of thinking outside the box really.

Beyond that, it was already said the Jackets would need to shed salary. Nothing new or exciting in there honestly. He brought up Krecji, but honestly Boston would like rather dump Savard for the reasons we'd consider Krecji.
I'm clapping because I don't want Savard. I don't think it is smart to trade for a 33 year old coming off a concussion. It just isn't smart, IMO.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Ludicrous Speed

AP says it's bunk and fabricated.

sounds to me like Savard could be on a plane to CMH in that case.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I'm clapping because I don't want Savard. I don't think it is smart to trade for a 33 year old coming off a concussion. It just isn't smart, IMO.
Could also be our best shot at finally getting a legit #1 center. Risk? Sure. Smart? Unclear. It's one of those you judge 5 years down the line.

Old
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
While I believe this to be the case, his total dismissal without attribution proves worrisome.
Still hasn't learned his lesson about speaking in absolutes from the Jokinen incident.

Now if we make a trade with Boston involving some of the players/picks being discussed he'll look like an idiot when the fact is that the only thing he's going off of is his opinion--the same basis I have for not thinking the rumored trade is likely to go down.

Wheeler...and Savard...and a pick? Makes no sense. I would think the reasons Boston would want our pick would be (1) package to make a trade with Edmonton to acquire Hall, in which case their overabundance of centers isn't as much of an issue or (2) to use it to pick up some depth on defense OR potentially a wing such as Neidreiter. Neither way does including Wheeler make sense to me given that the Bruins lack depth at wing. That said, am I going to say that there is no scintilla of truth to the rumor without confirmation from both the Bruins and the Jackets? No. Because for all the Dispatch Boys know, the Bruins and Jackets have had talks and some of these names were thrown around even if it wasn't in the form put forth in the rumor.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:48 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Could also be our best shot at finally getting a legit #1 center. Risk? Sure. Smart? Unclear. It's one of those you judge 5 years down the line.
I agree with you, but it isn't a risk I would take.

Old
06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
RDriesenUD

More on the Boston-Columbus trade rumor.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...rade-rumor.php

Old
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
if this trade goes through

Nash-Savard-Huselius
Wheeler-Brassard-Voracek
Filatov-Vermette-Umberger
Dorsett-Pahlsson-Boll

Hmm
Filatov is better than Wheeler. But I would trade Huselius and Commodore for draft pick.

Nash--Savard--Filatov (Nash and especially Savard have enough experiences)
Wheeler--Brassard--VorŠček
Umberger--Vermette--xxx
Dorsett--Pahlsson--Boll

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
StanJonathan*

I'm just curious how high is Columbus salary cap?
Most people are saying Savard makes to much.
How is a 4.1 million dollar cap hit to much?

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Kev22

Quote:

That is precisely the point, I guess. I'm trying to look at this deal from the prospective of how Howson has made moves and his public comments. That's why I said this deal is BS. It doesn't fit with all of Howson's other moves. If he went with this trade as reported, that would definitely be out of the box, but he has done nothing that would lead any of us to believe that he will.

All signs point to Howson trying to put together a young, competitive team for the long haul. Dealing for Savard would not fit into this. Dealing for Krecji would, but the debate is whether he's elite. I said that of Boston's centers, he is close to filling that description. If they determine that Krecji would be that center, than I think a deal would be attractive. It wouldn't have the cap impact that a deal involving Savard would.

The only way I see this "rumored" deal coming to fruition is if ownership says Howson can spend the money, but if it fails, it means his job, forcing Howson to "step out of the box." Seeing how ownership has acted in the past and Howson's motto of "under promise, over perform", this kind of trade won't happen unless it's "cap neutral." Salary would absolutely have to go the other way.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:16 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJonathan View Post
I'm just curious how high is Columbus salary cap?
Most people are saying Savard makes to much.
How is a 4.1 million dollar cap hit to much?
It wouldn't be the cap hit, it would be the actual $.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Ouch. Perhaps true, but Ouch.

Why won’t it happen? You mean besides Savard being able to veto the trade? It’s hard to imagine Savard would welcome a move to a team as bad as Columbus. Looking at this whole rumor (and again, it is just a rumor right now that PHT got from a source they trust), it’s quite clear the Blue Jackets are a big reason players insist on no-trade clauses.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:44 PM
CBJNut

Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
That stings.

CBJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:52 PM
EDM

Why do people keep putting Brassard down as our potential second line center and Vermette as our third line center? Seems pretty clear to me that Brass would be the third line center, not Vermette.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
That is precisely the point, I guess. I'm trying to look at this deal from the prospective of how Howson has made moves and his public comments. That's why I said this deal is BS. It doesn't fit with all of Howson's other moves. If he went with this trade as reported, that would definitely be out of the box, but he has done nothing that would lead any of us to believe that he will.
Really it all depends on how close he thinks Brass is. If he thinks it will be a while, if ever, he might be more willing to make this type of move.

Normally I would agree 100% with you. But, in reality, some in the Jackets org might be wondering why he's been so conservative. He's played the Hitch card. There's nothing left now but his own decision making to fall back on now.

Do I think this will happen? No. Do I think Boston is looking to unload a player or two for cap reasons? Yes. Most likely at center. So do I think we, potentially, could make good trading partners? Yes. Do I think any of their top 3 centers are an upgrade here? Yes, each of varying degree's. So I'm not going to dismiss it as quickly as AP or some others on these forums.

As far as age, I think Howson looks more like who he can integrate into the core. I think Savard's got another 3 or 4 productive years in him. If Howson thinks the same, then I don't think he's concerned about his age. Savard might be starting his decline, but he's skill isn't as marginal as someone like Hejda. He's the type of player that should be able to play until his late 30's.

Old
06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Ouch. Perhaps true, but Ouch.

Why wonít it happen? You mean besides Savard being able to veto the trade? Itís hard to imagine Savard would welcome a move to a team as bad as Columbus. Looking at this whole rumor (and again, it is just a rumor right now that PHT got from a source they trust), itís quite clear the Blue Jackets are a big reason players insist on no-trade clauses.

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/
Sad but true, no one wants to come play for a team that hasnt shown its willing to do what it takes to be a winner

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Sad but true, no one wants to come play for a team that hasnt shown its willing to do what it takes to be a winner
Don't know about that. We've done fairly well bringing in the people we want to. I don't think we're seen as quite the bad place as we were before. Still not the hot spot, but I don't think the players have quite the same view the fans have. We certainly aren't the location to "win now", but we're not as far as other teams. As a player you can look at our roster and know if you have a chance to make a difference. We're really not that far away.

Now, Edmonton on the other hand.... There seems to be a location that players don't seem to want to go.

Savard? He seems to want to stay were he is, so I'm not sure he's really open to any destination.

Now the real question is how do our current veterans view our team after the shake up? If someone calls up RJ and he says avoid it like the plague, then we are in trouble.

Old
06-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Why do people keep putting Brassard down as our potential second line center and Vermette as our third line center? Seems pretty clear to me that Brass would be the third line center, not Vermette.
Because on the third line, you want someone who wins faceoffs and is a good two-way guy. Brassard may be that eventually, but he isn't yet.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote