HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston interested in the 4th Overall?

Old
06-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
AP says it's bunk and fabricated.

sounds to me like Savard could be on a plane to CMH in that case.
Oh, be fair. He's not reached Eklund level; he's just "listen, but verify".

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:48 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Because on the third line, you want someone who wins faceoffs and is a good two-way guy. Brassard may be that eventually, but he isn't yet.
Good call.

Why don't we just go for broke and combine the two threads?

Savard, 15th for our 4th
Spezza for Brass, Juice, 15th

Then...

Problem solved....

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:02 PM
GreaterGood

Send a message via Skype™ to GreaterGood
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
In my dream world I replace Boll with Svitov. That could be a very good forward lineup.
I agree, that makes sense to me too.

GreaterGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Oates2Neely

"All signs point to Howson trying to put together a young, competitive team for the long haul. Dealing for Savard would not fit into this. Dealing for Krecji would, but the debate is whether he's elite. I said that of Boston's centers, he is close to filling that description. If they determine that Krecji would be that center, than I think a deal would be attractive. It wouldn't have the cap impact that a deal involving Savard would."

Krejci cap hit: $3.75
Savard cap hit: $4.1

A lil research goes a long way. Two things I'd like to share..Savard just re-signed a cap friendly deal, there's almost no chance Chiarelli trades him after that. Krejci is our best center & is only 23 or 24 yrs old at 3.75 cap hit, there's absolutely NO WAY he's traded for a #4 pick. Our GM is looking to unload Ryder ($4m) or Thomas ($5m) or maybe Wideman ($3.75m). He may not find any takers but I would bet he wouldnt resort to trading away Krejci & or Savard for #4 pick. We need scoring not draft picks.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
"All signs point to Howson trying to put together a young, competitive team for the long haul. Dealing for Savard would not fit into this. Dealing for Krecji would, but the debate is whether he's elite. I said that of Boston's centers, he is close to filling that description. If they determine that Krecji would be that center, than I think a deal would be attractive. It wouldn't have the cap impact that a deal involving Savard would."

Krejci cap hit: $3.75
Savard cap hit: $4.1

A lil research goes a long way. Two things I'd like to share..Savard just re-signed a cap friendly deal, there's almost no chance Chiarelli trades him after that. Krejci is our best center & is only 23 or 24 yrs old at 3.75 cap hit, there's absolutely NO WAY he's traded for a #4 pick. Our GM is looking to unload Ryder ($4m) or Thomas ($5m) or maybe Wideman ($3.75m). He may not find any takers but I would bet he wouldnt resort to trading away Krejci & or Savard for #4 pick. We need scoring not draft picks.
If Columbus dances with Boston it will involve the # 4 for #15, #32 and Colborne or Hamill.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Still hasn't learned his lesson about speaking in absolutes from the Jokinen incident.
As I've said before, speaking in absolutes is never, ever a good idea.

Old
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Pete, this place gets so irrationally out of control I am driven to agree with you. And we know that never happens on Metroboards.
You're forcing me to re-evaluate my opinion, EDM!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
If Columbus dances with Boston it will involve the # 4 for #15, #32 and Colborne or Hamill.
Now thats reasonable. I think Howson knows Nash needs a capable center in the worst way (or he will end up like Iginla in Calgary). Colborne & Nash could be a great combo in a few years but I'd think Howson would want an NHL ready center in another deal. Maybe Marleau as a UFA?

Marleau
Brassard
Colborne
= nice center depth

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Two things I'd like to share..Savard just re-signed a cap friendly deal, there's almost no chance Chiarelli trades him after that. Krejci is our best center & is only 23 or 24 yrs old at 3.75 cap hit, there's absolutely NO WAY he's traded for a #4 pick.
Already been discussed.

Quote:
Our GM is looking to unload Ryder ($4m) or Thomas ($5m) or maybe Wideman ($3.75m). He may not find any takers but I would bet he wouldnt resort to trading away Krejci & or Savard for #4 pick. We need scoring not draft picks.
Good luck with that. Although I would take Wideman off your hands, but I don't think he'll be in the mix to get moved.

Old
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Now thats reasonable. I think Howson knows Nash needs a capable center in the worst way (or he will end up like Iginla in Calgary). Colborne & Nash could be a great combo in a few years but I'd think Howson would want an NHL ready center in another deal. Maybe Marleau as a UFA?

Marleau
Brassard
Colborne
= nice center depth
Where o' where has Vermette gone and why did he leave Brass there all alone?

Old
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Fixed.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Steamed Hams

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Fixed.
Dude, what's with the homer trade proposals recently?

Trade the 4th Overall for the 15th, the 32nd, and a Top 20 Pick from past drafts? Mike Milbury wouldn't even do that.

Last edited by Samkow: 06-18-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Good call.

Why don't we just go for broke and combine the two threads?

Savard, 15th for our 4th
Spezza for Brass, Juice, 15th

Then...

Problem solved....
Not quite. We need to get a defenseman somehow. Commodore+Magical Beans (or a second round pick) for Kaberle?

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Not quite. We need to get a defenseman somehow. Commodore+Magical Beans (or a second round pick) for Kaberle?
There you go, under-rating the value of magical beans. Typical HF mistake.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
As I've said before, speaking in absolutes is never, ever a good idea.
And as we are all quite aware, DSL is utterly above reproach and always on the ball with such comments.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
There you go, under-rating the value of magical beans. Typical HF mistake.
Magical Beans had a bad U-17 tournament.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Trade the 4th Overall for the 15th, the 32nd, and a Top 20 Pick from past drafts? Mike Milbury wouldn't even do that.
Ask the Boston fan who proposed that on their board.

Old
06-18-2010, 05:08 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Sam, Boston has to do something and it may as well be with us. They are upgainst it Cap wise, They have depth at center and are about to draft a stud at #2. They can deal a NHL Center now or they can deal a prospect inorder make room for Seguin. The Bruins have problems and we can help. That said I don't want Bergeron since he has one year left unti UFA. They don't want to give up Savard or Krejci so Colborne is our guy.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Not saying the trade is likely by the way I see it...the Bruins and Jackets swap first rounders. Boston gets another great pick. A corner stone on D, more than likely. They come out of the draft with Seguin plus a bluechip D prospect. They lose Savard and Wheeler. Savard's on a great deal, no doubt. However, they still have the extra salary to play with. on top of still having the likes of Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, said bluechip D-guy, their other plethora of 2010 picks, Hamill, Colborne, Rask, etc. Sounds like a nice young nucleus to me. Rome wasn't build in a day.

The Jackets on the other hand, well, they're not rebuilding. You have to have been something once upon a time, then lost it, in order to "rebuild." They're still trying to put something together. All the top 10 picks in the world haven't helped these guys. The Leclaire's, Brule's, Brassard's, Voracek's, Filatov's....they just haven't put it together. Some of them are nice pieces though. At any rate, the Jackets would only drop back in the draft a bit, still get a good prospect, AND get two guys that can contribute NOW. That's what the Jackets team needs. Solid players to fill in the holes around their existing studs (what studs they have).

Sorry for the long post. I just think the deal is good for both sides.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Steamed Hams

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Sam, Boston has to do something and it may as well be with us. They are upgainst it Cap wise, They have depth at center and are about to draft a stud at #2. They can deal a NHL Center now or they can deal a prospect inorder make room for Seguin. The Bruins have problems and we can help. That said I don't want Bergeron since he has one year left unti UFA. They don't want to give up Savard or Krejci so Colborne is our guy.
The problem with Boston picking up Columbus #4 is that the team isn't rebuilding. This is a team that's built to win now and it just doesn't make a lot of sense for them to throw away 3 of their most valuable assets for something that isn't going to help them for a year or two.

(The more and more I think about this "rumor", the less sense it makes. Not that it made any to begin with.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Not saying the trade is likely by the way I see it...the Bruins and Jackets swap first rounders. Boston gets another great pick. A corner stone on D, more than likely. They come out of the draft with Seguin plus a bluechip D prospect. They lose Savard and Wheeler. Savard's on a great deal, no doubt. However, they still have the extra salary to play with. on top of still having the likes of Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, said bluechip D-guy, their other plethora of 2010 picks, Hamill, Colborne, Rask, etc. Sounds like a nice young nucleus to me. Rome wasn't build in a day.

The Jackets on the other hand, well, they're not rebuilding. You have to have been something once upon a time, then lost it, in order to "rebuild." They're still trying to put something together. All the top 10 picks in the world haven't helped these guys. The Leclaire's, Brule's, Brassard's, Voracek's, Filatov's....they just haven't put it together. Some of them are nice pieces though. At any rate, the Jackets would only drop back in the draft a bit, still get a good prospect, AND get two guys that can contribute NOW. That's what the Jackets team needs. Solid players to fill in the holes around their existing studs (what studs they have).

Sorry for the long post. I just think the deal is good for both sides.
Jackets aren't going to move up. Aren't even bringing Hall or Seguin to Columbus for interviews. It's too great a cost for a team that isn't even in rebuild mode.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Str8cash

Dont know if i missed it or not, didnt read whole thread. There was talk on the other boards about Savards contract doesnt start til next year. So his NTC might not be effective yet either. Anyone know?

Str8cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Thought I saw that it doesn't kick in until July 1st.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Matt Foley
Meh

As I understand it, Savard would have to sign off on a trade, as both his "current" contract and the extension that starts on July 1st contains either a NM or NT clause. The Pro Hockey Talk article in the original post refers to that apparent fact and considers it a hurdle in consumating the trade.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
RDriesenUD

Savard isn't the type of player Howson would trade the 4th pick for. Only way he moves it, IMO, is for a young player or in a trade down to pick up extra picks.

Old
06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Savard isn't the type of player Howson would trade the 4th pick for. Only way he moves it, IMO, is for a young player or in a trade down to pick up extra picks.
Savard, as long as he stays healthy, is EXACTLY what this club needs. If GMSH can get him for only the 4th pick, he needs to do it.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote