HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers All Star

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Oilers All Star

I know it seems like everyone has their favourites, and I thought this could make for an interesting conversation.

If the Oilers were to have an all star game representitive next year(if there is one), who do you think it would be? You can assume Nedved will be back with Edmonton for now. I know who my pick is, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thinks for now.

Old
05-19-2004, 02:41 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

scott ferguson

...oh wait this isnt the ECHL...Ill go with Dvorak..I have a good feeling about him...

Old
05-19-2004, 02:49 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Im gonna go out on a limb, and say Ales Hemsky, he will come out of the gates like a man possessed once being placed on our top line with fellow countyman Petr Nedved, and newly appointed Captain Ryan Smyth. Hemsky will hit the all star break with 14 goals and 38 assists after 45 games.

Old
05-19-2004, 03:15 AM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Mike York AND Eric Brewer...yes 2 makes the all star team.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:04 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, it's kinda a toss up - fans never vote for things like grit/leadership/heart so Smyth is out, lol. But I could see Dvo, Nedved, Brewer, Hemsky and York all having a shot at it because of the way they play - if the numbers are there they'd probably make it.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Mizral

Mike York is the guy I'd pick. I have a feeling he'll be the #1 centre over Nedved after a month or so.

Old
05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
mackdogs*

Conklin and York.

Old
05-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Mike York
maybe Nedved if re-signed

Old
05-19-2004, 06:40 PM
jadeddog

mizral - you sure do like york dont ya? lol .... i like him too, but your *always* talking about how good he is, amybe you should just get it over with and become a full-fledged oil fan

Old
05-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
mizral - you sure do like york dont ya? lol .... i like him too, but your *always* talking about how good he is, amybe you should just get it over with and become a full-fledged oil fan
jadeddog - that can't be true. Everything that comes out of my mouth is anti-Oilers, isn't it?

Honestly, he's the best player on the club - Nedved or no Nedved. You'll see it again next year.

Old
05-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
jadeddog - that can't be true. Everything that comes out of my mouth is anti-Oilers, isn't it?

Honestly, he's the best player on the club - Nedved or no Nedved. You'll see it again next year.
I'd say 2nd best Nedved or no Nedved personally. Brewer is what holds this team together. You may not see it at times, but if he was to go down, it would hurt the team more than any other player. He is my pick to have his breakout season this coming year. And his totals will only go up from there for the next few years. I think he'll finally get some big time recognition next year, and why I think he'll end up making the all star team.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Brewer is what holds this team together. You may not see it at times, but if he was to go down, it would hurt the team more than any other player. He is my pick to have his breakout season this coming year. And his totals will only go up from there for the next few years. I think he'll finally get some big time recognition next year, and why I think he'll end up making the all star team.
Seems like we've been waiting for Brewer's breakout year for 3 years at least. Every year it's the same and every year he teases by playing well the last part of the year but once again wasting at least the 1st half of the following year.

Brewer has all the physical attributes he needs but seems to lack something mentally. Time may help but he sure is taking his time and few players have had the support and advantages that Brewer has had from coaches and management-including Lowe once again influencing his pick for Canada's team.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Seems like we've been waiting for Brewer's breakout year for 3 years at least. Every year it's the same and every year he teases by playing well the last part of the year but once again wasting at least the 1st half of the following year.

Brewer has all the physical attributes he needs but seems to lack something mentally. Time may help but he sure is taking his time and few players have had the support and advantages that Brewer has had from coaches and management-including Lowe once again influencing his pick for Canada's team.
There was no influence by Lowe to include Brewer. There were only 2 defense spots available when they started talking about the players that were to be on the team. The 6 defensemen from SLC minus McInnis were written in ink before the selection even began.

05-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

Brewer is at the age now that defensman start to hit full stride. He's been great for us so far. I know quite a few people were thinking he'd have his breakout season already, but that was a bit premature. I'm going to get flamed for this I'm sure, but I think he's developing just the same way Pronger did, and I do think he'll be that good. I'm ready for the roasting baby

Old
05-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Brewer is at the age now that defensman start to hit full stride. He's been great for us so far. I know quite a few people were thinking he'd have his breakout season already, but that was a bit premature. I'm going to get flamed for this I'm sure, but I think he's developing just the same way Pronger did, and I do think he'll be that good. I'm ready for the roasting baby
Funny you bring up Pronger. I recall that he was criticized for the exact same things that Brewer is being criticized for. Fans it seems have little patience with these young players.

Old
05-19-2004, 10:32 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Well.... I dunno about Pronger - but to me, he reminds me more of a Blake with the way he rushes the puck - either way... he's a top pairing Dman in the NHL right now - and that's impressive for a 25 year old.

Old
05-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Mizral

Pronger?

As if Pronger's career path was so bad.

19 years of age:

Chris Pronger: 30 points in 81 NHL games ... -3 on the season

Eric Brewer: 33 points in 34 games... in the WHL

20 years of age:

Chris Pronger: 14 points in 43 games in the NHL. - 12 on the season

Eric Brewer: 11 points in 63 NHL games. -14 on the season.

21 years of age

Chris Pronger: Traded to St.Louis, 25 points in 78 NHL games. -18

Eric Brewer: Split season between AHL and NHL.. 2 points and a -11 in 26 NHL games

22 years of age

Chris Pronger: 35 points in 79 NHL games with a +15

Eric Brewer: Traded to the Oilers, 21 points and +15 in 77 games.

23 years of age

Chris Pronger: 36 points and a +47 (league-leading +/-) in 81 games.

Eric Brewer: 25 points, -5 in 81 NHL games

24 years of age

Chris Pronger: 46 points in only 67 games with a +3

Eric Brewer: 29 points and a -11 in 81 NHL games

25 years of age (last year for Brewer)

Chris Pronger: 62 points, +52, Norris Trophy, Hart Trophy

Eric Brewer: 25 points in 77 games with a -6

-------------------------

Eric Brewer has a lot of catching up to do...

Old
05-19-2004, 11:30 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, Giz - I mean Miz... we all know Brewer isn't near where Pronger was - but the first couple years are half similar - because if you take into consideration how much scoring has gone down their offensive numbers would be much different in the first couple years - and then once in St. Louis Pronger was on a much stronger team then Edmonton is - not to mention Pronger had MacInnis.... Brewer had..... Niinimaa?

Closed Thread