HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chris Mason to Philly

Old
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I think Flyers should ride with Leighton/Boucher til the trade deadline and then grab Vokoun from FLA for a pick.

Gear up for another Cup run!
Good thing your not the gm as they would be way out of th eplayoff race if they followed your logic.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Fire Everyone
Especially you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Its also dumb to give up anything of value for a guy (Mason) who is going to hit the open market in two weeks.
You mean like trading for Timonen and Hartnell?

Fire Everyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Good thing your not the gm as they would be way out of th eplayoff race if they followed your logic.
You really don't know this team. Quit responding to my posts.

We pretty much ran with Leighton/Boucher under Laviolette while trying to learn his system. We learned his system in the playoffs and look where it got us. Our defenders let us have a weaker goalie.

God you annoy me.

Guest123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
You mean like trading for Timonen and Hartnell?
We traded a pick we got in the Forsberg trade back to Nash for their rights, not a player, not a big deal.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Carter is done in Philly. Would not surprise me one bit if he is traded before the draft.
Who's you "good source"?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
jb**

Quote:
You really don't know this team. Quit responding to my posts.

We pretty much ran with Leighton/Boucher under Laviolette while trying to learn his system. We learned his system in the playoffs and look where it got us. Our defenders let us have a weaker goalie.

God you annoy me.
Yeah i know i dont know this team. Your a genious. Your blueprint will ensure success for the next x amount of years. Did it ever occur to you that Leighton just isnt that good? That he had a nice run that was not his normal play? Did it ever occur to you that with a better goalie this team could then play to their strengths more and not have to worry about their goalie letting in a bad goal? I would explain it to you but it is more fun reading your post. I wish i knew this team as much as you did.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:25 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
I honestly agree, Leighton played better than any of the UFA goalies that are out there this year, except for Nabokov but he is going to be a Shark. I don't care how good our D was, game 6 would have been 6-3 had it not been for Leightons stellar performance aside from that bad goal at the end. Id rather sign him to a 1 year 1.5mil deal than go for a big name goalie, who knows maybe Leighton can be a legit starter some guys blossom late, look at Hasek, guy was a third goalie for a while in Chicago, look at Giguere, guy came out of nowhere. If we can't make a significant upgrade in net, I agree stick with Leighton and Boosh, we have 2 young talented goalies waiting in the wings in Bobrovsky and Ericsson.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:26 AM
IrishSniper87

Better proposal:

Mason signs FA tender with Flyers for 2 years at $3 per

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Yeah i know i dont know this team. Your a genious. Your blueprint will ensure success for the next x amount of years. Did it ever occur to you that Leighton just isnt that good? That he had a nice run that was not his normal play? Did it ever occur to you that with a better goalie this team could then play to their strengths more and not have to worry about their goalie letting in a bad goal? I would explain it to you but it is more fun reading your post. I wish i knew this team as much as you did.
No one seems to mention Timonens week D on Kane as he scored that goal, I love Timonen, but to let Kane house you like that and then give a lazy attempt at a stick check is just unacceptable. But again you ***** about Leighton, the guy who had 3 shutouts in a round, the guy who led every statistical category in the playoffs aside from wins because of a bad goal. We were outplayed and heavily outshot through the first 2 periods of game 6.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Better proposal:

Mason signs FA tender with Flyers for 2 years at $3 per
I don't really think Mason is all that great, again I'd rather pay less for Leighton. I mean Preds fans were talking **** on how mediocre Mason is not to long ago on a trade deadline forum on here when discussing the prospect of Hamhuis coming to Philly. I really think Mason is just ok.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I don't know. I'm not too familiar with the Blues. I just don't think it's fundamentally unsound for the Flyers to explore the use an asset like Hartnell in order to secure a legitimate starting goaltender prior to July 1st, be it Mason or Nabokov or whomever. (And I'm bearing in mind that they obtained Hartnell in a similar manner to what the OP proposed).
I don't think the Blues are looking for Hartnell-type players. Even after trading Eller they still have a rather deep pool of top 6 forwards: McDonald, Boyes, Backes, Oshie, Berglund, Steen and Perron (both RFAs). What they lack is a difference maker, like they hoped Kariya would be when they signed him 3 years ago, or better. In that light tying up 4+M$ of cap space in Hartnell doesn't make much sense.

That said I don't think Hartnell is such dead weight and I think Homer would find a taker if he really wanted to shop him at any price. At this time last year, everybody thought the Sharks were in big trouble because they would have to unload Ehrhoff, and nobody thought he was worth anywhere near his 3M cap hit. Even if he's overpaid, Hartnell has more value than Ehrhoff last year.

How much are Mason's rights worth this year? Other than the Flyers, Lightning, (maybe) Caps and (maybe) Sharks, who's looking to buy a starting goalie? I don't think Mason's rights are worth all that much even though he's probably the 2nd best UFA goalie after Nabokov.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
I honestly agree, Leighton played better than any of the UFA goalies that are out there this year, except for Nabokov but he is going to be a Shark. I don't care how good our D was, game 6 would have been 6-3 had it not been for Leightons stellar performance aside from that bad goal at the end. Id rather sign him to a 1 year 1.5mil deal than go for a big name goalie, who knows maybe Leighton can be a legit starter some guys blossom late, look at Hasek, guy was a third goalie for a while in Chicago, look at Giguere, guy came out of nowhere. If we can't make a significant upgrade in net, I agree stick with Leighton and Boosh, we have 2 young talented goalies waiting in the wings in Bobrovsky and Ericsson.
the sharp goal was a disgrace as well. A true cup team doesnt go into the season with leighton and boucher as their starters. Period. That is settign you up for failure. Giggy didnt come out of nowhere either. You cant count on those 2 young guys you mentioned either. They are far away. The free agent goalie market is flooded and imo those guys will not get big time long term deals. They are better options than leighton and boucher. Teh fact the flyers ahve not signed leighton yet tells you all you need to know on how they value his services as a starter.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Thats the dudes point....... The Flyers dont need a star/above average goalie to win. If the Flyers were able to get a solid 3rd pairing, giving the 1st/2nd pairing time to rest, Leighton will look pretty damn good.

Lets just be clear, we can all agree that Leighton is no stud goalie, and no one is pretending he is something hes not. Some fans dont want to ruin other parts of the team, creating more holes and trading assets, to sign a goalie.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I think Flyers should ride with Leighton/Boucher til the trade deadline and then grab Vokoun from FLA for a pick.

Gear up for another Cup run!
FAIL.

Quote:
Carter is done in Philly. Would not surprise me one bit if he is traded before the draft.
This is ridiculous.

Quote:
I just have very good sources that say he was gone before his playoff performance.
Yeah, and I have super powers and can fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Who's you "good source"?
The voice in his head.

Quote:
No one seems to mention Timonens week D on Kane as he scored that goal, I love Timonen, but to let Kane house you like that and then give a lazy attempt at a stick check is just unacceptable. But again you ***** about Leighton, the guy who had 3 shutouts in a round, the guy who led every statistical category in the playoffs aside from wins because of a bad goal. We were outplayed and heavily outshot through the first 2 periods of game 6.
Timonen did nothing wrong. It was an awful backhand shot, and easy save. I have zero problem with the defense giving up awful shots like that. Timonen had his man. Leighton just let one slip under him.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Guest123

Quote:
A better goaltender at what expense? Carter? Cap space?

The price for Vokoun is too high right now. At the trade deadline... he'll be more available for a decent price. Nabokov will resign with SJ.

So that leaves us this:

Ellis
Turco
Biron
Roloson
Harding
Mason

Leighton can play just as well as these players with a cheaper hit. ****. I'd rather get Vokoun at the deadline then roll with one of these players on a one year hit. At least with Vokoun I know I can have the confidence in him.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
jb**

Quote:
his weak d? he kept him to the outside as he should and he put a harmless shot on goal, he did his job. Leighton didnt.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:34 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
the sharp goal was a disgrace as well. A true cup team doesnt go into the season with leighton and boucher as their starters. Period. That is settign you up for failure. Giggy didnt come out of nowhere either. You cant count on those 2 young guys you mentioned either. They are far away. The free agent goalie market is flooded and imo those guys will not get big time long term deals. They are better options than leighton and boucher. Teh fact the flyers ahve not signed leighton yet tells you all you need to know on how they value his services as a starter.
But to be fair that sharp goal resulted in a 2 on 1 because of piss poor defense with Krajicek and I believe Betts both going for the man with the puck leaving a 2 on 1. Look if we can sign mason, Turco or one of those guys for around $2 mil, I say go for it, but do it short term, but what I am saying if these guys are waranting 3-5 mil I say **** it and ride Leighton for one season see how he plays. All I am saying is the dude showed talent, his 17-9 record was great, and we can talk about the defensive system but why did Boucher look like garbage in the regular season and Emery (aside from the injury) look much less impressive than Leighton?

Old
06-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Guest123

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
This is ridiculous.
I'm going to laugh in your face when Carter is dealt.

Quote:
Yeah, and I have super powers and can fly.

I am not revealing my source. But its within the organization. Don't believe me. I don't care. But I'll tell you this. Flyers had no interest in Price. Quick and Bernier will not be a Flyer. Carter is on his way out. If all these happen, kiss my ass.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:37 AM
jb**

Quote:
A better goaltender at what expense? Carter? Cap space?

The price for Vokoun is too high right now. At the trade deadline... he'll be more available for a decent price. Nabokov will resign with SJ.

So that leaves us this:

Ellis
Turco
Biron
Roloson
Harding
Mason

Leighton can play just as well as these players with a cheaper hit. ****. I'd rather get Vokoun at the deadline then roll with one of these players on a one year hit. At least with Vokoun I know I can have the confidence in him.
You have no idea what the price for vokoun is or if nabokov will resign. Stop acting like you do. If leighton can play a swell as these guys(not that i want them anyway) why hasnt he been able to secure a permanant psotion in the nhl after all these years? Turco is a clear upgrade over leighton and it isnt even close. Same with those others as they have more proven track record. To say otherwise is just your opinion. You dont wait untuil the deadline to acquire vokoun if that is the guy you want. There way to many unknown variables that can happen if you wait until then. Including your team being out of the playoff race.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5aLHImCKDc

Watch it again. Timonen is one of my favorite D men, but he could have taken the body and this never happens, I know he is quicker and better than this. And no doubt it was an awfully weak goal, but again we would have never been in OT had it not been for his play, and we would not have been in OT if Carter could be the "sniper" he is supposed to be and hit the ****ing empty net.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

That made me sick to my stomach watching that goal again, brought back some depression lol. Turco is a good goalie, but has been really weak the past few seasons, pretty much since that amazing first round he had in a losing attempt he has been pretty much ok. I'd take him as look as he isn't warranting big money. And I do not want to see Biron in a Flyers jersey ever again, dudes a backup and it should stay that way. Id take Rolloson over any of these guys.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:42 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

It was a good talk, I am going to the shore, chat with you fellas later, and Renegade I pray to god you are right about Carter being dealt, I heard the same thing from Mr. Gormley of the Inquirer, so it seems feasable.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Guest123

Quote:
You have no idea what the price for vokoun is or if nabokov will resign. Stop acting like you do. If leighton can play a swell as these guys(not that i want them anyway) why hasnt he been able to secure a permanant psotion in the nhl after all these years? Turco is a clear upgrade over leighton and it isnt even close. Same with those others as they have more proven track record. To say otherwise is just your opinion. You dont wait untuil the deadline to acquire vokoun if that is the guy you want. There way to many unknown variables that can happen if you wait until then. Including your team being out of the playoff race.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,248569

Why hasn't Craig Anderson got himself a job until this year? Goalies develop late. Leighton worked on his positioning with our goalie coach and honestly looked good with his positioning.

Turco is junk. He lets in as many soft goals as Leighton. He's just past his prime. I don't want another veteran goalie looking for a new situation.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
jb**

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,248569

Why hasn't Craig Anderson got himself a job until this year? Goalies develop late. Leighton worked on his positioning with our goalie coach and honestly looked good with his positioning.

Turco is junk. He lets in as many soft goals as Leighton. He's just past his prime. I don't want another veteran goalie looking for a new situation.
So you provided me a link, as i said you yourself have no idea. How many goalies develop late? It is the exception not the rule. I am glad leighton worked on his game, now he can get a contract to be a backup goalie. Anerson did have himslef ajob before this year just not as a starter. I bet you havent even watched turco play that much by the way. Yeah is is probably past his prime, your one of the ones who believes you dont need a great goalie to win so he doesnt have to be in his prime. To really sit here and say leighton is a better option than turco is comical

Old
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Guest123

Quote:
So you provided me a link, as i said you yourself have no idea. How many goalies develop late? It is the exception not the rule. I am glad leighton worked on his game, now he can get a contract to be a backup goalie. Anerson did have himslef ajob before this year just not as a starter. I bet you havent even watched turco play that much by the way. Yeah is is probably past his prime, your one of the ones who believes you dont need a great goalie to win so he doesnt have to be in his prime. To really sit here and say leighton is a better option than turco is comical
I'm not the only one who thinks Flyers don't need a stud goalie. I could find at least 4 other active members that think a solid goalie with our defensive system could work.

I've seen enough of Turco to know Dallas did a good job letting him go. Auld was playing there for awhile because Turco was failing.

Your Anderson rebuttal is horrible. So you're telling me Anderson had a backup job before he got a starting gig. Hmm wonder what Leighton was his entire life? Woah! Anderson and Leighton are the same age! Holy coincidence!