HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Info 2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2010, 06:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Prospect Info 2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Part 4)

Part 1: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=756074
Part 2: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=764119

So, here's my stab at a new Entry Draft thread. This is just a beginning. I'll be adding more prospects in the days ahead, and if anyone wants to help out, feel free to contribute. Tried to be as unbiased as possible.

Taylor Hall

Position: LW
ISS Rank: 3
CS Rank: North American skaters #1
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 190 lbs
Team (League): Windsor (OHL)
Comparison: Zach Parise with half the guts and half the hockey sense.
Brief description: Taylor Hall is all about creating offense, mostly for himself. Incredible speed. Incredible hands. He is held back by questionable decision making. He tries to do too much sometimes, and is prone to making mistakes.

Tyler Seguin

Position: C
ISS Rank: 1
CS Rank: NAS 2
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185 lbs
Team (League): Plymouth (OHL)
Comparison: Steve Yzerman, but not quite as good.
Brief description: Seguin is the best playmaker in this draft, and he's probably the second most effective two-way center in the draft (taking both offense and defense into account, equally). He's no slouch in the goalscoring department, and he's also somewhat of a leader.

Cam Fowler

Position: D
ISS Rank: 3
CS Rank: NAS 3
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 197 lbs
Team (League): Windsor (OHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Scott Niedermayer offensively, poor man's Duncan Keith defensively.
Brief description: Very smart, very skilled defender. Plays an effective and efficient two-way game. Solid, but unspectacular speed. Can be reluctant toward the physical aspects of the game. Very safe pick. Very likely to reach full potential.

Erik Gudbranson

ISS Rank: 6
CS Rank: NAS 6
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
Team (League): Kingston (OHL)
Comparison: Zach Bogosian with more smarts.
Brief description: He's gritty, he is physical and he is smart defensively. He's also a good passer and has a big shot. Another safe pick, this guy will be a solid piece for any team.

Vladimir Tarasenko

Position: RW
ISS Rank: 4
CS Rank: EU 2
Weight: 190 lbs
Team (League): Novosibirsk (KHL)
Comparison: Phil Kessel with Mogilny-like hands.
Brief description: Tarasenko is an offensive dynamo. Great hands, great shot, great moves. Deceptively fast skater. Questionable willingness to play defense, combined with questions about his transfer status may cause him to fall.

Brett Connolly

ISS Rank: 11
CS Rank: NAS 4
Weight: 180 lbs
Team (League): Prince George (WHL)
Comparison: Marian Gaborik with a smaller build and moves that aren't quite as flashy.
Brief description: If it wasn't for lingering concerns about Connolly's hip flexor injury issues, this young man would probably be the third-highest forward picked in the draft. But he will drop, and perhaps, some lucky team can get a real steal. He has very good puckhandling skills, great speed, and possibly the best wrist shot in the draft.

Alexander Burmistrov

ISS Rank: 12
CS Rank: NAS 7
Team (League): Barrie (OHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Pavel Datsyuk mixed with Stephen Weiss
Brief description: The best two-way center in the draft, and probably the smartest forward in the draft. Excellent passer, solid playmaker, and very responsible. Not a great skater and not particularly strong or physical, but makes up for it with excellent positioning.

Brandon Gormley

ISS Rank: 5
CS Rank: NAS 8
Team (League): Moncton (QMJHL)
Comparison: Keith Yandle
Brief description: An all-purpose player who isn't especially great at any part of the game. His utilitarian skillset will propel him to a higher selection than his talent alone would have. He can be a part of the offense, he can be a part of the defense, and he can eat up minutes.

Kirill Kabanov

ISS Rank: 7
CS Rank: NAS 15
Team (League): Moncton (QMJHL)
Comparison: Alexander Semin, Ales Hemsky
Brief Description: All-world skill already tagged with the "enigmatic" label , Kabanov will drop. The question is, how low? He is one of the most talented offensive players in the draft, but he doesn't play defense and he is perceived to have attitude problems. An all too familiar risk/reward scenario: go for broke and hope the big talent overcomes the character issues.

Nino Niederreiter

Position: LW
ISS Rank: 9
CS Rank: NAS 14
Weight: 205 lbs.
Team (League): Portland (WHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Rick Nash, Dustin Penner
Brief Description: Nino is big and strong, has a booming shot, and is a total workhorse. To this point, he's been very difficult to stop, or even slow down. But questions remain, mainly about his hockey IQ. He's gotten by on his physical gifts so far. He'll very likely stick in the NHL, even if he doesn't reach his full potential, but if a team picks him in the top 10, they'll be hoping he can be taught.

Austin Watson

Position: C/RW
ISS Rank: 8
CS Rank: NAS 25
Weight: 180 lbs.
Team (League): Peterborough (OHL)
Comparison: Mix of Jordan Staal and Travis Zajac
Brief Description: Since being traded to the Petes earlier this season and being given more icetime and responsibility, Watson's stock has really risen. Already known for being one of the best defensive forwards in this year's draft, he's also showing that he can score. He still needs to get bigger and stronger, which will likely come. He's looking like a good bet to end up as a very good, two-way second line forward.

Mikael Granlund

ISS Rank: 14
CS Rank: EU 1
Height: 5'10"
Team (League): HIFK (SM-Liiga)
Comparison: Saku Koivu, Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Brief Description: Granlund is a very shifty player with great skill. Unfortunately, he's also small and isn't particularly fast, which isn't exactly a recipe for success. Although smaller guys can succeed in the NHL today, they tend to require quickness to evade their larger competition. Granlund's lack of speed has seen him fall out of the projected top 5-10. He'll probably go somewhere in the 10-15 range.

Derek Forbort

ISS Rank: 10
CS Rank: NAS 11
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 200 lbs.
Team (League): U.S. Development Team
Comparison: Brent Burns/Braydon Coburn
Brief Description: Still very raw, Forbort is obviously an attractive prospect due to his great size. At this point, his skillset has a little bit of everything, and he hasn't established himself in a particular niche. That may very well change as he gets a bit older and plays against tougher competition. He has the size to be physical and nasty, but that isn't a big part of his game yet.

Riley Sheahan

ISS Rank: 13
CS Rank: NAS 5
Weight: 200 lbs.
Team (League): Notre Dame (CCHA)
Comparison: Mike Fisher with a little more offense and speed.
Brief Description: Very smart defensive forward who also possesses great speed. Chances are high that he'll be at least a good third line center. His offense doesn't seem great enough to suggest he's going to be a big scorer, but it isn't out of the range of possibility for him to be a solid second line center, either.

Mark Pysyk

ISS Rank: 16
CS Rank: NAS 9
Team (League): Edmonton (WHL)
Comparison: Smaller, less physical Brooks Orpik.
Brief Description: Pysyk is a solid all-around prospect. He doesn't excel at any particular area, but he can play in all situations. He's a good decision maker, but his skating could stand to improve. He projects as a dependable second-pairing defenseman.

Ryan Johansen

Other Clips:
1 | 2 | 3

ISS Rank: 17
CS Rank: North American skaters 16
Weight: 194 lbs
Team (League): Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
Comparison: Ryan Getzlaf with a bit less physicality.
Brief description: Sweet pair of hands on a big body. Excellent play making ability and a quality shot, though he's reluctant to use it at times. Plays a true power-center role and has broken through physically in his first year with Portland by playing with more of an edge. Surprising speed and agility for a player his size. Most scouts feel he projects to play at 6'4 and 200lbs+ when he's finished growing. Stock has risen tremendously this year, but some attribute his success to playing with probable top-10 pick Nino Niederreiter.

Jonathan Merrill

ISS Rank: 21
CS Rank: NAS 20
Weight: 200 lbs
Team (League): US Development Team
Comparison: Mix of Marc Staal and Jordan Leopold
Brief description: Merrill has a nice big frame, and he seems to have a big brain, too. He's smart on both sides of the puck, but he still has somethings to work on. He needs to be more physical, more assertive offensively, and of course, he still needs to finish growing into that frame.

John McFarland

Position: LW/C
ISS Rank: 30
CS Rank: NAS 10
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs
Team (League): Sudbury (OHL)
Comparison: Marian Hossa with less size and without any brains.
Brief description: Another classic headcase. He's got great moves, speed, and skills, but he has an attitude problem and his hockey IQ is very low. If he can be tamed and taught, he will be a huge steal. But that's a big if.

Jarred Tinordi

ISS Rank: 26
CS Rank: North American skaters 38
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 205 lbs
Team (League): U.S. Development Team
Comparison: His father, Mark Tinordi. Maybe even bigger and stronger.
Brief description: Incredible frame that will surely fill out more as he gets older. He's huge. He's gritty. He's tough. He plays smart defense. His offense is come-and-go at this point, and needs some work. Still, he's shown flashes of a booming shot. This kid is a beast. Team that drafts him is going to get a guy that can scare the crap out of opposing teams on a nightly basis for the next 10-15 years.

Stanislav Galiev

Position: LW/RW
ISS Rank: N/A
CS Rank: NAS 20
Team (League): Saint John (QMJHL)
Comparison: Poor man's Semin.
Brief description: Smart playmaking winger with great hands. Good speed, good vision, solid decision maker. Going to be a very nice second line wing, 60-65 points a season.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
lundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The most talked about names are:

Connolly
Tarasenko
Niederreiter
Johansen
Skinner
Burmistrov
Nino Niederreiter is the coolest name ever. I vote for him.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
they might feel that Campbell is their pick and the value of his pick looks better at #10 then it does at #6. they also get to move up into the 2nd round from the beginning of the 3rd which would give them a better shot at picking someone who was dropping out of the 1st round.
Has TB soured on Mike Smith that much already? He hasn't wowed them but the D has been god awful. Just wondering.

Old
06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
Nino Niederreiter is the coolest name ever. I vote for him.
Lol. Don't forget his nick name: El Nino.

I wish Kreider's nick name would stick: The Cobra.

Old
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Has TB soured on Mike Smith that much already? He hasn't wowed them but the D has been god awful. Just wondering.
After his massive concussion, he hasn't seemed the same...

Old
06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
rickyrod

Does this worry anyone else re: Tarasenko?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...mir_tarasenko/

"Andrei Tarasenko, Vladimir's father, is the head coach of Sibir Novosibirsk, so he sees him both as a coach and a father.

“Do I worry about my son’s overall draft pick number? No, not really," Mr. Tarasenko told Hockey's Future. "We don’t think about that right now. We’ve got an agent who deals with it. He knows quite a few North American scouts, plus he used to work overseas as well. But, once again, we don’t really want to get ahead of anything. I can only say that Vladimir has already accomplished a lot but in terms of his career this is just a beginning. After this season we’ll discuss everything with his grandfather and make up new goals for Vladimir. It’s time to prove all the fuss about him was worth it.”"

Maybe the whole Lindros thing still just freaks me out...

Old
06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Rangers may go for Tarasenko at No. 10

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...vid=nhl-search

We think quite a bit of Tarasenko," said Clark, who credited Rangers scout Vladimir Lutchenko as one of the biggest reasons for the franchise's success in Russia. "You never know. That's the thing you have to deal with with Russia. (Lutchenko) will have the most updated information on what these guys might be thinking of doing, if they've signed over there, how many years have they signed for, when do they want to come over.

"As of today, Lutchenko has been (right) on Anisimov, on Grachev, and unfortunately we never got to see Cherepanov, but everything he had heard and everything Cherepanov had said, he was on his way over. He's been on, so whatever information he'll have will be the information that we'll go with."

Old
06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Although Tarasenko's situation worries me, I have very little doubt he'll come over to the NHL if he's drafted by the Rangers. The organization has good contacts that run deep through Russia and the KHL.

Old
06-17-2010, 02:36 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

In Lutchenko we trust. I'm sorry I fire you in EHM all the time.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
In Lutchenko we trust. I'm sorry I fire you in EHM all the time.
I used the editor to make him where I felt he should be. He's an incredible scout in Russia.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

So here's where I am on the draft front.

I really feel that if Tarasenko is gone, we might go with a guy like Forbort. His potential is astronomical. 6'5 d-men who skate well just don't grow on trees. He should play at around 225 or so (if not more). This kid is going to be a stud.

If Tarasenko/Johansen are gone, I would be thrilled if we went with Forbort. Go with a high risk, high potential player in the 2nd for offense. Forbort is going to be a top 2 d-man.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Thing is Jon, I wouldn't find Forbort at 10, but the Rangers damn well better swing for the fences in the 2nd round. Someone like Kuznetsov or even Kabanov.

Jordan Weal, Joey Hishon, Calle Jarknrok (did I spell that right?), and Ryan Spooner are a couple names to look out for if we go with Forbort and not a Russian in the 2nd round.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:19 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So here's where I am on the draft front.

I really feel that if Tarasenko is gone, we might go with a guy like Forbort. His potential is astronomical. 6'5 d-men who skate well just don't grow on trees. He should play at around 225 or so (if not more). This kid is going to be a stud.

If Tarasenko/Johansen are gone, I would be thrilled if we went with Forbort. Go with a high risk, high potential player in the 2nd for offense. Forbort is going to be a top 2 d-man.

Jon, I just don't see a team ahead of the Rangers taking him. If Chiago, Montreal, LA, or even Pittsburgh were ahead of the Rangers, I'd think there's a good chance he's gone. But, Carolina, TB, Atlanta and Minnesota...they cannot gamble with the "Russian factor". Unless both Connolly is also there, I thin Tarasenko is the name called by Gordie Clark next Friday night.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:35 PM
NYR Viper

There are plenty of "swing for the fence" type forwards who will be around in the 2nd round. Forbort wouldnt be a terrible pick.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Considering picks 3-10 are pretty much toss-ups, this is my mock.

I have it set up with all of Tarasenko/Johan/Skinner/Connolly gone already (and I think this is a very real possibility).

Originally I was basically guaranteeing that Tarasenko would NOT be taken by Carolina, but I've really heard a lot about them liking him and wanting him. I don't blame them!

Here's the mock:

1. Oilers:

Taylor Hall (F) – Best player in the draft. Period. The kid will be a very, very good wing in the NHL. Nothing more needs to be said.

2. Bruins:

Tyler Seguin (F) – 2nd best player in the draft. Period. A razor thin line separates the top two picks, but Hall is just a bit better.

3. Panthers:

Erik Gudbranson (D) – I have him as the 4th best d-man, but he fills a need. The Panthers need a nasty, bruising d-man with major potential.

4. Blue Jackets:

Cam Fowler (D) – The Jackets sweat a bit, thinking that the Panthers will grab Fowler. Fowler, Hall and Seguin become the only 3 players selected this year to play in the NHL. Fowler gives the Jackets a guy who will play in every situation.

5. Islanders:

Brandon Gormley (D) – Islanders get the “scraps” of the big 3 D-men, but the one who I value 2nd behind Fowler. The Islanders will think long and hard about both Connolly and Tarasenko here, but it just makes more sense to take a d-man. Especially one as polished as Gormley is.

6. Lightning:

Brett Connolly (F) – The Lightning think long and hard about Campbell here, but it’s just too much of a reach at 6. Connolly will allow them to develop a top line winger for Stamkos to play with after St. Louis leaves.

7. Hurricanes:

Vladimir Tarasenko (F) – I have said for some time that I don’t see the ‘Canes taking Tarasenko, but I’m simply going BPA here. There has been some rumbling that they are considering him in this spot, which would surprise me since they haven’t had the best experiences with Russians. I would be a bit surprised to see him go here, but not overly, which is why I’m slotting him here. He’s by far the best player available.

8. Thrashers:

Jeff Skinner (F) – Thrashers need help scoring goals. Skinner is ranked ALL over the place on mock drafts. I have a feeling someone will reach a bit for him. Would not surprise me at all if Atlanta does.

9. Wild:

Ryan Johansen (F) – Perfect guy to slot behind Koivu. This pick makes so much sense it’s not even funny. Which is probably why it won’t happen.

10. Rangers:

Derek Forbort (D) – Tyler Myers clone? This kid is a tremendous player. He oozes upside. I have him ranked higher than this in my rankings. Someone will bite, and I hope we do if Tarasenko, Connolly and Johansen are off the board. There is simply too much upside to ignore here.

11. Stars:

Mark Pysyk (D) – The Stars cringe when Forbort goes off the board. They are going D all day long with this pick, IMO. Pysyk is the last of the higher ranked D-men available and I don’t see them passing on him.

12. Ducks:

Nino Niederreiter (F) – Nino falls into the Ducks’ laps. He’s a solid value pick at this point and would look really good on a line with Getzlaf. Talk about physical and grinding!

13. Coyotes:

Alexander Burmistrov (F) – Burmy gives the ‘Yotes a real good threat. They haven’t had the best luck with their top end picks, and Burmistrov can likely slot into the NHL line-up right now, but hopefully they don’t rush him.

14. Blues:

Mikael Granlund (F) – I would’ve slotted Campbell here before the Halak deal, but they won’t be going G now. Granlund is the best available forward and the Blues European scouts have probably seen a ton of him. His puck poise, patience and smarts might be the best in the draft. He’s a bit lacking in foot speed, but I think he’ll look good on St. Louis.

15. Bruins:

Nick Bjugstad (F) – Oh, look. The perfect center for Seguin.

16. Senators:

Dylan Mcilrath (D) – With the prospects of losing Volchenkov, the Senators are just not that imposing on the back-line. Mcilrath is a big reach here, but he will go in the top 20.

17. Avalanche:

Jack Campbell (G) – Makes too much sense. I think he goes here all day long now that the Blues have their goaltender.

18. Predators:

Austin Watson (F) – The Predators could use his game. Good two-way kid who can play in any situation. Watson just fits the mold of what I think of when I think of the Predators. Hard working, give it your all kind of kid.

19. Kings:

Evgeny Kuznetsov (F) – The Kings bank on Kuznetsov coming across the pond to play in a big city. He’s a good pick here if they can convince him to come over. He might be the most offensively talented player available at this point.

20. Penguins:

Kirill Kabanov (F) – The Penguins have the ability to really gamble on a pick here. This is a much better gamble than on the gag-inducing selection of Esposito a few years back (everyone and their mother knew that was a terrible pick who actually watched Espo). Kabanov is much more skilled than Esposito is and would look amazing next to either Malkin or Crosby, no?

21. Red Wings:

Ludvig Rensfeldt (F) – The Red Wings just love to go to Scandanavia. They tend not to go there early in the draft, but Rensfeldt’s size and skill are too hard to pass up here.

22. Coyotes:

Stephen Johns (D) – The Coyotes would have loved to have gotten their hands on Forbort or Pysyk and can pick up a guy who will be on their team for 15 years on the back-end. Johns’ upside is not high at all, but he will be a very solid top 4 d-man.

23. Sabres:

Brock Nelson (F) – The Sabres really need some size. I don’t think his upside is tremendous, but he should be a solid 2nd line center.

24. Thrashers:

Jon Merrill (D) – Atlanta could really use some solid d-men prospects. Merrill is the best guy left on the board right now and makes a lot of sense here. After going with the high risk Skinner pick at the top of the draft, the Thrashers go with a much smaller risk in Merrill here.

25. Canucks:

Emerson Etem (F) – Solid scoring forward who can pick up the garbage goals. Pair him with Burrows and a playmaking center and I think it’d be a solid line.

26. Capitals:

Danny Biega (D) – The Capitals really need to go defense in the first round here. I love Biega’s upside. He really can be a star in the league. I’ve loved all of the Biega brothers, so I might be a bit biased and all, but this kid is easily the best out of any of his siblings.

27. Canadiens:
Jarred Tinordi (D) – Montreal LOVES going with college kids in the 1st round. They continue the trend and take a much needed physical defenseman. Komisarek wasn’t the greatest, but his physical presence was missing from the Canadiens blue-line in the playoffs.

28. Sharks:

Riley Sheahan (F) – Good two way kid who is a solid all-around guy. He probably goes higher than this, but I think he’s much better suited for the end of the first round.

29. Ducks:

Kevin Hayes (F) – The Ducks can really take a gamble here. Nino is pretty much a guaranteed NHLer (be it bottom 6 or top 6). They can really take a huge gamble here. Hayes has all the potential to be a dominating big man in the NHL. His puck possession ability is tremendous.

30. Blackhawks:

Calle Jarnkrok (F) – The Blackhawks are just DYING for Rensfeldt or Hayes to be available here. They would love to add more big and skilled guys to their roster. They will settle for the smaller Jarnkrok (a generous 5’10). His playmaking ability is top notch and he has a real fire in him when he’s playing. Can get very emotional. Will fit in great on the ‘Hawks.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I will be extremely pissed if we pass on Nino for Forbort.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
TreeSapLlama

This is the order i want the Rangers to pick in (not how i think they will get drafted).

1.Hall
2.Seguin
3.Gudbranson
4.Fowler
5.Connolly
6.Tarasenko
7.Gormley
8.Niederreiter
9.Johansen
10.Burmistrov
11.Forbort
12.Skinner

I would ideally like to see the Rangers trade up 1 - 3 picks to guarentee someone i can see making a big impact.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:

7. Hurricanes:

Vladimir Tarasenko (F) – I have said for some time that I don’t see the ‘Canes taking Tarasenko, but I’m simply going BPA here. There has been some rumbling that they are considering him in this spot, which would surprise me since they haven’t had the best experiences with Russians. I would be a bit surprised to see him go here, but not overly, which is why I’m slotting him here. He’s by far the best player available.

WTF? I said it was a worst case scenario Tarasenko's gone before 10 and you said no way like a page of posts ago.

It's weird because Woodlief has Granlund and tarasenko ahead of all the NA's besides Hall and Seguin.

Well, I still think Campbell gets picked before 15. I wonder if TB were in discussions for Halak?

Old
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
WTF? I said it was a worst case scenario Tarasenko's gone before 10 and you said no way like a page of posts ago.

It's weird because Woodlief has Granlund and tarasenko ahead of all the NA's besides Hall and Seguin.

Well, I still think Campbell gets picked before 15. I wonder if TB were in discussions for Halak?
I still don't fully think he goes there. My mock is based around Tarasenko going at 7. If he doesn't, it completely changes. I've heard a number of rumors that Carolina is looking long and hard at him, though. I don't know if I buy it, but we'll see. Might just be spreading smoke before the draft.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:57 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I will be extremely pissed if we pass on Nino for Forbort.
Why?

I view Forbort as BPA at that point. I draft BPA (outside of goaltenders) in the first round and second round. Forbort has much more potential than Nino does. Nino is the safer player (Forbort is also pretty safe), but his potential is dwarfed by Forbort's.

Old
06-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

I have it set up with all of Tarasenko/Johan/Skinner/Connolly gone already (and I think this is a very real possibility).

Originally I was basically guaranteeing that Tarasenko would NOT be taken by Carolina, but I've really heard a lot about them liking him and wanting him. I don't blame them!

Here's the mock:

1. Oilers:

Taylor Hall (F) – Best player in the draft. Period. The kid will be a very, very good wing in the NHL. Nothing more needs to be said.

2. Bruins:

Tyler Seguin (F) – 2nd best player in the draft. Period. A razor thin line separates the top two picks, but Hall is just a bit better.

3. Panthers:

Erik Gudbranson (D) – I have him as the 4th best d-man, but he fills a need. The Panthers need a nasty, bruising d-man with major potential.

4. Blue Jackets:

Cam Fowler (D) – The Jackets sweat a bit, thinking that the Panthers will grab Fowler. Fowler, Hall and Seguin become the only 3 players selected this year to play in the NHL. Fowler gives the Jackets a guy who will play in every situation.

5. Islanders:

Brandon Gormley (D) – Islanders get the “scraps” of the big 3 D-men, but the one who I value 2nd behind Fowler. The Islanders will think long and hard about both Connolly and Tarasenko here, but it just makes more sense to take a d-man. Especially one as polished as Gormley is.

6. Lightning:

Brett Connolly (F) – The Lightning think long and hard about Campbell here, but it’s just too much of a reach at 6. Connolly will allow them to develop a top line winger for Stamkos to play with after St. Louis leaves.

7. Hurricanes:

8. Thrashers:

Jeff Skinner (F) – Thrashers need help scoring goals. Skinner is ranked ALL over the place on mock drafts. I have a feeling someone will reach a bit for him. Would not surprise me at all if Atlanta does.

9. Wild:

Ryan Johansen (F) – Perfect guy to slot behind Koivu. This pick makes so much sense it’s not even funny. Which is probably why it won’t happen.

10. Rangers:

Derek Forbort (D) – Tyler Myers clone? This kid is a tremendous player. He oozes upside. I have him ranked higher than this in my rankings. Someone will bite, and I hope we do if Tarasenko, Connolly and Johansen are off the board. There is simply too much upside to ignore here.

11. Stars:

Mark Pysyk (D) – The Stars cringe when Forbort goes off the board. They are going D all day long with this pick, IMO. Pysyk is the last of the higher ranked D-men available and I don’t see them passing on him.

12. Ducks:

Nino Niederreiter (F) – Nino falls into the Ducks’ laps. He’s a solid value pick at this point and would look really good on a line with Getzlaf. Talk about physical and grinding!

13. Coyotes:

Alexander Burmistrov (F) – Burmy gives the ‘Yotes a real good threat. They haven’t had the best luck with their top end picks, and Burmistrov can likely slot into the NHL line-up right now, but hopefully they don’t rush him.

14. Blues:

Mikael Granlund (F) – I would’ve slotted Campbell here before the Halak deal, but they won’t be going G now. Granlund is the best available forward and the Blues European scouts have probably seen a ton of him. His puck poise, patience and smarts might be the best in the draft. He’s a bit lacking in foot speed, but I think he’ll look good on St. Louis.

15. Bruins:

16. Senators:

Dylan Mcilrath (D) – With the prospects of losing Volchenkov, the Senators are just not that imposing on the back-line. Mcilrath is a big reach here, but he will go in the top 20.

17. Avalanche:

Jack Campbell (G) – Makes too much sense. I think he goes here all day long now that the Blues have their goaltender.

18. Predators:

Austin Watson (F) – The Predators could use his game. Good two-way kid who can play in any situation. Watson just fits the mold of what I think of when I think of the Predators. Hard working, give it your all kind of kid.

19. Kings:

Evgeny Kuznetsov (F) – The Kings bank on Kuznetsov coming across the pond to play in a big city. He’s a good pick here if they can convince him to come over. He might be the most offensively talented player available at this point.

20. Penguins:

Kirill Kabanov (F) – The Penguins have the ability to really gamble on a pick here. This is a much better gamble than on the gag-inducing selection of Esposito a few years back (everyone and their mother knew that was a terrible pick who actually watched Espo). Kabanov is much more skilled than Esposito is and would look amazing next to either Malkin or Crosby, no?

21. Red Wings:

Ludvig Rensfeldt (F) – The Red Wings just love to go to Scandanavia. They tend not to go there early in the draft, but Rensfeldt’s size and skill are too hard to pass up here.

22. Coyotes:

Stephen Johns (D) – The Coyotes would have loved to have gotten their hands on Forbort or Pysyk and can pick up a guy who will be on their team for 15 years on the back-end. Johns’ upside is not high at all, but he will be a very solid top 4 d-man.

23. Sabres:

Brock Nelson (F) – The Sabres really need some size. I don’t think his upside is tremendous, but he should be a solid 2nd line center.

24. Thrashers:

Jon Merrill (D) – Atlanta could really use some solid d-men prospects. Merrill is the best guy left on the board right now and makes a lot of sense here. After going with the high risk Skinner pick at the top of the draft, the Thrashers go with a much smaller risk in Merrill here.

25. Canucks:

Emerson Etem (F) – Solid scoring forward who can pick up the garbage goals. Pair him with Burrows and a playmaking center and I think it’d be a solid line.

26. Capitals:

Danny Biega (D) – The Capitals really need to go defense in the first round here. I love Biega’s upside. He really can be a star in the league. I’ve loved all of the Biega brothers, so I might be a bit biased and all, but this kid is easily the best out of any of his siblings.

27. Canadiens:
Jarred Tinordi (D) – Montreal LOVES going with college kids in the 1st round. They continue the trend and take a much needed physical defenseman. Komisarek wasn’t the greatest, but his physical presence was missing from the Canadiens blue-line in the playoffs.

28. Sharks:

Riley Sheahan (F) – Good two way kid who is a solid all-around guy. He probably goes higher than this, but I think he’s much better suited for the end of the first round.

29. Ducks:

Kevin Hayes (F) – The Ducks can really take a gamble here. Nino is pretty much a guaranteed NHLer (be it bottom 6 or top 6). They can really take a huge gamble here. Hayes has all the potential to be a dominating big man in the NHL. His puck possession ability is tremendous.

30. Blackhawks:

Calle Jarnkrok (F) – The Blackhawks are just DYING for Rensfeldt or Hayes to be available here. They would love to add more big and skilled guys to their roster. They will settle for the smaller Jarnkrok (a generous 5’10). His playmaking ability is top notch and he has a real fire in him when he’s playing. Can get very emotional. Will fit in great on the ‘Hawks.
im not going to mention any names of how i know this. but if Nino is on the board when the Thrashers are picking, they will select him.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:01 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im not going to mention any names of how i know this. but if Nino is on the board when the Thrashers are picking, they will select him.
I could see it. As I've said, the top 10, after the big 2, are really interchangeable. No one knows who is going where. All have certain issues.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Deathstroke

Quote:

Here's the mock:

1. Oilers:

2. Bruins:

3. Panthers:

4. Blue Jackets:

5. Islanders:

6. Lightning:

7. Hurricanes:

8. Thrashers:

9. Wild:

10. Rangers:

11. Stars:

12. Ducks:

13. Coyotes:

14. Blues:

15. Bruins:

16. Senators:

17. Avalanche:

18. Predators:

19. Kings:

20. Penguins:

21. Red Wings:

22. Coyotes:

23. Sabres:

24. Thrashers:

25. Canucks:

26. Capitals:

27. Canadiens:

28. Sharks:

29. Ducks:

30. Blackhawks:

Nice job. I too wouldn't be all that upset if Forbort were the pick if some of those other guys are off the board. Still think that Tarasenko falls to us though.

I'm assuming that you have Fowler ranked #1 and Forbort 2 amongst defensemen?

Old
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Why?

I view Forbort as BPA at that point. I draft BPA (outside of goaltenders) in the first round and second round. Forbort has much more potential than Nino does. Nino is the safer player (Forbort is also pretty safe), but his potential is dwarfed by Forbort's.
Forbort does have the higher potential, but I feel he is nowhere near as likely to reach his max potential like Nino is. A strong power forward on the 2nd line.

I won't cry if we pick Forbort, but i'd prefer Nino.

Old
06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Nice job. I too wouldn't be all that upset if Forbort were the pick if some of those other guys are off the board. Still think that Tarasenko falls to us though.

I'm assuming that you have Fowler ranked #1 and Forbort 2 amongst defensemen?
Fowler
Gormley
Forbort
Gudbranson
Pysyk

I'm hoping we can pick up one of Tarasenko/Johansen/Connolly. If none are there, that means one of the big d-men should likely be available.

Closed Thread