HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Prospect Info 2010 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
What does that guy know. 3rd line center.
Hey he's entitlted to his opinion, but most kids aren't drafted high because someone makes a judgement call.

Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. I've been both many times.

With Johansen, I see a kid who will likely play in the NHL. But I didn't see a natural finisher.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Hey he's entitlted to his opinion, but most kids aren't drafted high because someone makes a judgement call.

Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. I've been both many times.

With Johansen, I see a kid who will likely play in the NHL. But I didn't see a natural finisher.
I'm not sure if we are on the same page but I was being sarcastic, I have backed Johansen for a while. And while I certainly do respect your opinion (honestly), I still firmly disagree about Johansen's finishing ability.

Different opinions are what makes this whole thing interesting.

06-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I'm not sure if we are on the same page but I was being sarcastic, I have backed Johansen for a while. And while I certainly do respect your opinion (honestly), I still firmly disagree about Johansen's finishing ability.

Different opinions are what makes this whole thing interesting.
I can see why. He's a big kid who see's the ice well and has very good hockey sense.

I can also see where people are intrigued by the possibility that he's still nowhere near the finished product he could someday become.

In short, he's a very easy prospect to like. Especially if you can project him as a 6'3/6'4, 220 pound center who can play in your top six.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:56 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
On a separate topic, what would you guys think of drafting Benjamin Conz in the 4th round?
From what I saw in the WJC, I don't like his chances in the NHL. Too small and a bit out of control at times.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:57 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I don't want Burmistrov. He's too small and as we all know the Rangers need some size in their top 6. Nino or Connolly (who will probably bulk up to 215) would be absolutely perfect for the Rangers. Goal scorers with size.
were you one of those poster drooling over the midget from norway ?

i wonder.

hey, everyone wants size. size is well.......big. but big size does not mean good player. not does small player mean bad player.

burmistrov isnt small and he plays big.

not wanting burmistrov because hes too small is silly.

see: jessiman, hugh and boyle, brian

Old
06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Edge

Burmistrov is an easy kid to overlook because he doesn't reach out and grab you like some of the other top prospects.

He's not the biggest, he's not a 50 goal scorer and he's not the flashiest. He's just a solid playmaking prospect. And playmakers tend to get overlooked.

This is a kid who might not ever top 25 goals at the NHL level, but he could put up a point per game because of his vision and hockey sense.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:07 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Burmistrov is an easy kid to overlook because he doesn't reach out and grab you like some of the other top prospects.

He's not the biggest, he's not a 50 goal scorer and he's not the flashiest. He's just a solid playmaking prospect. And playmakers tend to get overlooked.

This is a kid who might not ever top 25 goals at the NHL level, but he could put up a point per game because of his vision and hockey sense.
With good defensive play and space to grow into his frame if he puts on a few pounds. You can also see it in his game, the kid flat out loves to play.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:07 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

I see him as the ideal center to play between Dubinsky and Gaborik...elite passing and play-making ability, with two-way ability...that would be your classic formation of a line - play-making center between gifted goal-scorer and power forward.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Which is why I wouldn't cry if the Rangers drafted Burmistrov.

Take a look at our current bluechip forward prospects: Stepan, Werek, Grachev, Kreider. The last two (you could make a case for Werek too) are pure snipers; who's going to feed them the puck besides Stepan and Anisimov? We need some playmakers somewhere in there too.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Edge

IMO his upside is what you saw out of Nylander in his best years. And that's ironic because Nylander quietly was a 20-25 goal, 70-85 point player at his best who somehow never quite got his due.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Bingo.

Its the single most glaring aspect that most of our prospects lack. Outside of Stepan and Anisimov, i dont see very many smart hockey players coming up through the ranks.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
IMO his upside is what you saw out of Nylander in his best years. And that's ironic because Nylander quietly was a 20-25 goal, 70-85 point player at his best who somehow never quite got his due.
But, he appears to be much more acquainted with his own defensive zone than Nylander ever was.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

a few things that are also overlooked about alex.

he always competes hard and likes the physical play of the smaller rink. he said he "prefers it". he takes hits but he gives them back. the kid is tough as nails.

hes not just a playmaker but hes a playcreater. he can pass the puck as well as any player in this draft and his vision is uncanny. hes one of those- pass it to a spot- guys, he sees the play before it happens.

if there ever was a pivot who fits that "makes his linemates better" label, its this guy.

if youve watcheh him play at all, you would have seen a kid who makes plays on both ends of the ice, plays the pk, the pp, and is a threat to score on any shorthanded situation. you notice him, hes always involved.

adding a guy like that to this team right now, would make us a better team instantly. hes that talented.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
But, he appears to be much more acquainted with his own defensive zone than Nylander ever was.
I always thought Nylander was an underrated defensive forward. He wasn't a Selke candidate, but I thought he turned himself into a pretty good player in that respect.

Burmistrov is almost like the anti-Johansen.

Johansen because of his size and potential is dangerously easy to overproject. Burmistrov is on the other end of scale. His size and frame doesn't grab your attention and projecting smallish/playmaking centers is never sexy.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
a few things that are also overlooked about alex.

he always competes hard and likes the physical play of the smaller rink. he said he "prefers it". he takes hits but he gives them back. the kid is tough as nails.

hes not just a playmaker but hes a playcreater. he can pass the puck as well as any player in this draft and his vision is uncanny. hes one of those- pass it to a spot- guys, he sees the play before it happens.

if there ever was a pivot who fits that "makes his linemates better" label, its this guy.

if youve watcheh him play at all, you would have seen a kid who makes plays on both ends of the ice, plays the pk, the pp, and is a threat to score on any shorthanded situation. you notice him, hes always involved.

adding a guy like that to this team right now, would make us a better team instantly. hes that talented.
I think the NHL level he's going to be more a co-pilot. I think by himself he will be a good player, but if you pair him with someone like Gaborik he takes it to another level (and makes an already great player even better).

I don't see him controlling the flow of a game the way he does at the junior level, but I do see him having the ability to quietly support the guy who does.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Does anyone think there is any chance whoever the rangers pick could be in the lineup next season?

Old
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I always thought Nylander was an underrated defensive forward. He wasn't a Selke candidate, but I thought he turned himself into a pretty good player in that respect.

Burmistrov is almost like the anti-Johansen.

Johansen because of his size and potential is dangerously easy to overproject. Burmistrov is on the other end of scale. His size and frame doesn't grab your attention and projecting smallish/playmaking centers is never sexy.
Connolly/Tarasenko are my ideal pick at 10. If Johansen is the pick, then I'd have confidence that Clark and his staff believe he has more than 3rd line ability. But, I would not be disappointed if Burmistrov was the selection. Ideally, I'd hop the Rangers would be able to move down, pick up a low 1st/high 2nd (both Phoenix and Boston would potential trade partners), and still grab Burmistrov. Since we started discussing this draft, I have been under the belief that there was an opportunity for the Rangers to fill all three of their most pressing needs - center w/ 1st line upside, scoring RW and physical D-man - if they would be able to pick up an additional 2nd round pick, and then be able to move up from their current 2nd round spot.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I can see why. He's a big kid who see's the ice well and has very good hockey sense.

I can also see where people are intrigued by the possibility that he's still nowhere near the finished product he could someday become.

In short, he's a very easy prospect to like. Especially if you can project him as a 6'3/6'4, 220 pound center who can play in your top six.
That's where I have him on my board. I'll admit I'm probably higher on him than most, but I'm in love with his development curve. You could really see how comfortable he was becoming with his body from mid-season onward.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Connolly/Tarasenko are my ideal pick at 10. If Johansen is the pick, then I'd have confidence that Clark and his staff believe he has more than 3rd line ability. But, I would not be disappointed if Burmistrov was the selection. Ideally, I'd hop the Rangers would be able to move down, pick up a low 1st/high 2nd (both Phoenix and Boston would potential trade partners), and still grab Burmistrov. Since we started discussing this draft, I have been under the belief that there was an opportunity for the Rangers to fill all three of their most pressing needs - center w/ 1st line upside, scoring RW and physical D-man - if they would be able to pick up an additional 2nd round pick, and then be able to move up from their current 2nd round spot.
I think the Rangers will get a solid prospect no matter what, unless they really go off the boards and find the next Jessiman or Falardeau. Considering that there aren't any guys who give me that much heartburn on the radar at the ten slot, I feel pretty good.

We're talking a lot about forwards, but I would not be shocked if they grab a defenseman at the 10 slot. I could easily see their staff believing that one of the defensive prospects is a better investment that the forwards who are available.

I wouldn't be angry if they picked Johansen, I just worry that he's already taken his game to a high level and there isn't as much room left in the throttle as some believe. Some kids come out of nowhere and they just keep climbing. Some kids come out of nowhere and it's not fair to expect them to keep improving as dramatically.

It's one thing to go from a BCHL grinder and afterthought to a legit NHL player, it's a little harder to go from that humble of a start all the way into an NHL top six forward. But again, I can see the attraction. Johansen might be one of the more tempting forwards in this draft.

I freely admit that he's one of those kids I can see making me look really foolish one day.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
Does anyone think there is any chance whoever the rangers pick could be in the lineup next season?
If the Russian scouting staff and Sather can work some black magic and get Tarasenko to the US, he could step into this team's top 6 and contribute right away. Anyone else is a long shot at best.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
I highly doubt it. The only possibility is Tarasenko and I'm not sure of his KHL contract.

Most of the guys they will likely pick will need at least one more season.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
If the Russian scouting staff and Sather can work some black magic and get Tarasenko to the US, he could step into this team's top 6 and contribute right away. Anyone else is a long shot at best.
Wow, took the words right out of my mouth.

Old
06-18-2010, 10:22 PM
LyNX27

Nice write up on Kabanov by Hockeyfutures.com

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...irill_kabanov/

Quote:
Speaking only of Kabanov's skill level, Mooring called him as talented as any player eligible for the 2010 draft.

"He's a well-rounded offensively-skilled player. One of the better stickhandlers and one of the better skaters in the draft. His offensive upside is high, as far as the next level goes. He's a first line kind of player skill wise. If you look at pure offensive players, he's one of the best in the draft."

Old
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
darko

Quote:
I highly doubt it. The only possibility is Tarasenko and I'm not sure of his KHL contract.

Most of the guys they will likely pick will need at least one more season.

I'm 99% sure he is under contract with his KHL team for next season.

Old
06-18-2010, 10:40 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
were you one of those poster drooling over the midget from norway ?

i wonder.

hey, everyone wants size. size is well.......big. but big size does not mean good player. not does small player mean bad player.

burmistrov isnt small and he plays big.

not wanting burmistrov because hes too small is silly.

see: jessiman, hugh and boyle, brian
I think at the top of the draft you want players with an elite type skill or a player with size AND skill. Once the draft gets out of the top, players either have good skills without the size or size with questionable skills or character issues.

Burmy does have IMO elite playmaking skills. I would not be opposed to taking him. Saying that I forsee Burmy as more of a #2 center on a contending Stanley Cup team. Lack of size will not stop Burmy from being a very good NHL player.

Closed Thread