HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Kobe Bryant

Old
06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Kobe is not from Philly. Just ask him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Kambo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Kobe's a piece of ****, the NBA sucks donkey dick, and Philly is ****ing awesome. The end.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:31 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I don't like rapists. Even ones from Philly.

btw, he's not from Philly. He's from the Lower Marion which is a suburb and Philly and one of the richest towns in the country. He knows nothing about the city and wasn't even a Sixers fan growing up. The guy is a total fraud and maybe the single most hated athlete in the Philadelphia area.
I live in the township directly next to Lower Merion, so I'm not from "Philly"? By the way, I think it's a fair assumption that most Flyers fans are from the suburbs.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I live in the township directly next to Lower Merion, so I'm not from "Philly"? By the way, I think it's a fair assumption that most Flyers fans are from the suburbs.
You're from Philly.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
****, I live in Jersey and i say I'm from Philly when anybody asks. It may be like 5 minutes away, but it's not even the same state haha.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 08:34 AM
JSTAFF

**** Kobe Bryant.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Flames View Post
Alright guys, I apologize as I didn't know what he did.

"The unforgiving crowd has never forgotten when Bryant proclaimed he was "coming to Philly to cut their hearts out," in the 2001 NBA finals."
He got booed when the All-Star game was here and then cried about it. Then he at the 2008 NLCS as a Dodgers Fan, and was asked about being from Philly where he said "Nah, I'm an LA guy." This was after he claimed he was a Mets fan years ago. It's not like it was one thing that people kill him for here. When Lower Merion retired his number, they wanted Kobe to be there, but he wanted to charge admission (all for him) AND be paid on top of that.

He is the definition of certain filtered words.

Old
06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
I think people are taking what I said wrong. I don't live in the city but I still say I'm from Philly. I wasn't referring to strictly where he was born. I was referring to the fact that he has never associated himself with this city. He's from a rich suburb and was never a Philly sports fan or part of this city in any way. He doesn't know a damn thing about the city and doesn't care to learn. Being from the city IMO is not just were you live geographically, and that's not just for this city, it's any city. Saying your from Philly or NY or LA or wherever is a mindset and Kobe doesn't have that for Philly. He's just as much an Italian as he is from Philly.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
I think people are taking what I said wrong. I don't live in the city but I still say I'm from Philly. I wasn't referring to strictly where he was born. I was referring to the fact that he has never associated himself with this city. He's from a rich suburb and was never a Philly sports fan or part of this city in any way. He doesn't know a damn thing about the city and doesn't care to learn. Being from the city IMO is not just were you live geographically, and that's not just for this city, it's any city. Saying your from Philly or NY or LA or wherever is a mindset and Kobe doesn't have that for Philly. He's just as much an Italian as he is from Philly.
That really doesn't mean anything, but the rest I can agree on.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:02 AM
97FlyersKing18

Not that it matters where he is from, since he has sold his soul for LA, but I would say he is more from Italy than anything. He is one of the hardest workers in all of sports and is quite intelligent as well. He knows 4 different languages and is an excellent student of the game and sports in general. Kobe is the best player in the NBA now and is 3 years out of his prime. Kobe can do it all on his own (81 Points) or share the wealth in the playoffs with his all world cast of Gasol, Artest, Bynum, Odom and Fisher (one of the classiest athletes). Sure it helps having an amazing supporting cast, and I was very happy for Ron Artest to show up in the biggest game of his life, when nobody else did.

The only thing that bugs me about LA is the fact that (almost) nobody will hate on Kobe. Even in one of his worst offensive performances (his role), he still found ways to impact the game with his blocks, steals, rebounds and assissts.

I guess fans from Philly can hate on Kobe, but perhaps I should change my avatar to his 5th Championship. Gotta get ready for the Parade on Monday!

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
That really doesn't mean anything, but the rest I can agree on.
He was sheltered in his little estate and never ventured into the city to really learn the culture.

Old
06-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
I think I remember seeing somewhere that he was actually named after the Kobe Japanese Steakhouse in King of Prussia.
Maybe he was conceived in their bathroom...it makes sense, because Kobe's always full of ****.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
clodejirew

Can we get a Sixers thread? I don't care about Kobe, but the Sixers seem to be on the upswing.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
Can we get a Sixers thread? I don't care about Kobe, but the Sixers seem to be on the upswing.
The Sixers thread is normally on Page 25 if you'd like to search for it.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Not that it matters where he is from, since he has sold his soul for LA, but I would say he is more from Italy than anything. He is one of the hardest workers in all of sports and is quite intelligent as well. He knows 4 different languages and is an excellent student of the game and sports in general. Kobe is the best player in the NBA now and is 3 years out of his prime. Kobe can do it all on his own (81 Points) or share the wealth in the playoffs with his all world cast of Gasol, Artest, Bynum, Odom and Fisher (one of the classiest athletes). Sure it helps having an amazing supporting cast, and I was very happy for Ron Artest to show up in the biggest game of his life, when nobody else did.

The only thing that bugs me about LA is the fact that (almost) nobody will hate on Kobe. Even in one of his worst offensive performances (his role), he still found ways to impact the game with his blocks, steals, rebounds and assissts.

I guess fans from Philly can hate on Kobe, but perhaps I should change my avatar to his 5th Championship. Gotta get ready for the Parade on Monday!
You're right in saying that he can contribute in other ways besides scoring (despite being the leading scorer in Game 7), but his real contributions in Game 7 came from rebounds (because the Celtics didn't remember to rebound) and getting to the line by jumping into defenders and getting the benefit of the call. He shot 25% from the field, taking 24 shots and only hitting 6. He only had 2 assists and he had 0 blocks.

If you guys want a good reason to hate on Kobe, and the NBA, watch this series outlining the rigging of the WCF between the Kings and Lakers. It happened, and it continues to happen as a result of minor calls having a huge impact on close games.

Note: this is part 6/9 starting with 2002 WCF Game 6, which is possibly one of the most obviously rigged games in all of sports history.

The NBA used to be really fun to watch when I was a kid. There's still a lot of good in the league (Kevin Durant is ****ing awesome), but the Championships and even finals appearances are based around ratings, not performance or effort.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
BWAVgal
WAR FACE!!!

vCash: 50
He is an a-hole and from what I heard his dad is too. His one sister isn't that pleasant either. Having gone to Upper Darby, I used to play basketball and track against his other sister, Shea. She is pretty nice and so is the mother. Haven't seen her since high school obviously. I did see him play once or twice over the Narberth basketball league when I played there.

BWAVgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:03 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
**** Kobe Bryant.
QFT.
and **** all of the NBA.

OMG THE SIXERS HAVE THE 2nd PICK!!!

Yeah? Thats ****ing interesting man.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:39 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I like Kobe even though he hates his roots.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Richyrich

I'm from the city and, not to be a dick, I really don't like people who aren't from the city saying they are. I don't know why, but that always rubbed me the wrong way. You are from where you are from. No one is going to hate you because you are from cherry hill or love you because you are actually from Philadelphia.

I mean, I don't say I'm from Springfield despite its being close to me

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Flames View Post
Even though the L.A Lakers won the championship isn't it great that the best player in the game is from Philly: Kobe Bryant
It'd be different if Kobe were the best player in the game, but he isn't. The best player in the game is Dwight Howard in Orlando.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 01:13 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I hate the NBA, I hate the Lakers and I hate Kobe.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Quote:
I don't like rapists. Even ones from Philly.

btw, he's not from Philly. He's from the Lower Marion which is a suburb and Philly and one of the richest towns in the country. He knows nothing about the city and wasn't even a Sixers fan growing up. The guy is a total fraud and maybe the single most hated athlete in the Philadelphia area.
I lol'd at this.

Kobe is from an awful part of Lower Merion... Just because its a rich community doesn't mean its all great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
I'm from the city and, not to be a dick, I really don't like people who aren't from the city saying they are. I don't know why, but that always rubbed me the wrong way. You are from where you are from. No one is going to hate you because you are from cherry hill or love you because you are actually from Philadelphia.

I think that's one of the best parts about Philadelphia. This doesnt really happen in other cities.

Think of it more like the brotherly love spreads in an outward motion! I live 3 miles from City Line and I tell people I live in Philadelphia, and I'm damn proud of it!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Vandersmear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I hate the NBA, I hate the Lakers and I hate Kobe.
Couldnt agree with this statement more. My friends and I tried watching the last 9 minutes of the game and although I didn't get an exact look at when we put it on, it took at least 35 minutes real time for the game to finish with endless fouls and timeouts taken. It was incredibly dragged out and there were more uncontested shots than I could count. It makes sense that finally the NHL is starting to get better ratings than the NBA, over the past decade-plus it has become closer to the WWE than a real sport.

Vandersmear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post

If j tell out of towners I'm from bucks county 100% of them say "oh ok where is that?" and I have to explain it's just outside of the city. I save my breath and just say I'm from Philly to people who don't know the area. If I go to a local bar and someone asks me I don't say I'm from Philly, I say the town I live in because they most likely actually know where it is. It's not that I'm trying to sound cool to say I'm from Philly it's just way easier for people to associate with where I'm from. If I meet someone from out of state and they tell me the town they live in the first thing I ask is "sooo is that close to (insert major city)?"

Old
06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Basketball sucks.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote